View Full Version : Wilt Chamberlain vs Tim Duncan

tbonewalker
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
In their primes...

Who was the better basketball player?

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Duncan.

Wilt was mentally compromised. His nuts were in a Gore type lockbox.

Phillip
Tim Duncan

Albert Haynesworth
crofl

tbonewalker
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
So far, a Laker troll and a Spur troll have responded with simply 'Tim Duncan' with no logic or reason to back it up.

Then we have dum dum #3 who has fell victim to the Mike Bloomfield photo.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
I gave you a reason.

Hooks
10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Tim Duncan.

Ace
10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
So why are you and your boyfriend 2b so obsessed with an irrelevant team? Spurs are done and their fans know so. Yet you two keep getting owned and coming back for more.

xtremesteven33
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Im a big Duncan fan but I gotta go with Wilt here....

history2b
10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Uhh the answer is Wilt Chamberlain by far.

Tim Duncan doesn't even register on the map in terms of all-time bigs greatness.

All time big man debate includes:

Wilt
Russell
Abdul-Jabbar
O'Neal
Olajuwon

the end

z0sa
10-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Tim Duncan doesn't even register on the map in terms of all-time bigs greatness.

Wilt
Russell
Abdul-Jabbar
O'Neal
Olajuwon

the end

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao

z0sa
10-25-2010, 02:33 PM
So far, a Laker troll and a Spur troll have responded with simply 'Tim Duncan' with no logic or reason to back it up.

Thanks for the status update.

Roddy Beaubois
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Tim Duncan shows more emotion (http://media.metronews.ca/images/0e/bb/b385ecf44b70880ebb523acbebef.jpeg), and hits more threes (http://www.nba.com/media/tduncan_300_080419.jpg)

Duncan :flag: :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

history2b
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Duncan better than the most dominant individual force the game has ever seen? lol

I think it is safe to say that the water supply is contaminated in the state of Texas. Timmy D must be pissing directly into the public water system.

BlackSwordsMan
10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Tim Duncan.

BlackSwordsMan
10-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Duncan better than the most dominant individual force the game has ever seen? lol

I think it is safe to say that the water supply is contaminated in the state of Texas. Timmy D must be pissing directly into the public water system.

Agreed we all know Shaq Daddy is the reason why LA has those three rings.

namlook
10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Tim has been great but historical perspective and the general consensus will be that Wilt is ranked higher on the list of greatest players of all time.

midnightpulp
10-25-2010, 07:00 PM

Wilt
Russell
Abdul-Jabbar
O'Neal
Olajuwon

the end

lol

Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads
Can't Start Threads

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 07:02 PM
All the rattin' 'em out paid off.

See, you can rest now. Aside from our 16th you're right as the mail again.

midnightpulp
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM

He was going to get pinked, regardless. His threads were unoriginal, unfunny garbage that covered topics we've discussed again and again. Not to mention, he was starting 2 and 3 threads at a time.

You notice how Luva has never gotten pinked?

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 07:16 PM
What you did is still reprehensible & puny.

Venti Quattro
10-25-2010, 07:18 PM

pretty sure that's midnightpulp :lmao

midnightpulp
10-25-2010, 07:19 PM
What you did is still reprehensible & puny.

I didn't do shit. I never called for his pink.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
You got your way. Hush now.

Juanobili
10-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Wilt's dead so I thinkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I'm gonna have to go with Duncan on this one

midnightpulp
10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
You got your way. Hush now.

That's what the princess told yer boy History.

har, har, har

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
It's a fair question, but Wilt is the logical choice.

Wilt is definitely top 5 NBA all time and some consider him #1 and most no worse than #3.
Tim is arguably top 10 NBA all time, and few place him higher than #5.

If you need 30 to 50 points in a game, or 20+ rebounds, you pick Wilt. Wilt could pass the ball to open teammates, and once led the league in assists.

Tim seems a crisper passer to the open wingman for 3. Wilt didn't pass that far out, no 3 point goal in his days. Wilt passed to cutters to the hoop.

Tim's bankshot to me seems a lot more pure than the fallaway bankshot Wilt used to take from the same range.

Wilt intimidated most everyone who drove on him. Wilt could easily block 10 shots in a game.

Tim shoots freethrows better. Outside of Wilt's bankshot, he didn't shoot jumpers from 10-15 feet out.

Wilt was still very athletic when he retired. He jumped to the ABA in 1973-74 as player/coach, but a court order from the Lakers stopped him from playing.

cobbler
10-25-2010, 09:53 PM
He was going to get pinked, regardless. His threads were unoriginal, unfunny garbage that covered topics we've discussed again and again. Not to mention, he was starting 2 and 3 threads at a time.

You often talk about yourself in the 3rd person? :toast

Ashy Larry
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
figuring the competition, I'd say Duncan. Wilt really just had to go up against the Celtics and a buncha short white guys and caught Kareem on the tail end of his career.

cobbler
10-25-2010, 10:11 PM
One on one there is no basketball player that has ever played that would beat Wilt.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-25-2010, 10:11 PM
I would also like to add one of Wilt's lesser known advantages, and it's huge. He could play all 48 minutes if you needed him, and he only averaged about 2 fouls per game, never fouling out. Every other all time great needed a respite on the bench. Wilt played in an era when teams often played 7 consecutive days and traveled on commercial airlines.

Trainwreck2100
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I would also like to add one of Wilt's lesser known advantages, and it's huge. He could play all 48 minutes if you needed him, and he only averaged about 2 fouls per game, never fouling out. Every other all time great needed a respite on the bench. Wilt played in an era when teams often played 7 consecutive days and traveled on commercial airlines.
different rules

#2!
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Hate to feed the trolls, but its not a bad question.

I think I'll go with Wilt on this one. In all honesty it is nearly impossible to compare players in separate eras, especially ones with this many between them. Which set of rules is this hypothetical using?etc.

Even I do not believe that if Wilt played in the NBA in the past 15 years he would have been the stats monster he was, he would still probably be the best big in the league. The scoring would still be there, but not 50ppg average, and probably not the 100 point game. He'd be a great rebounder, but I doubt he'd get 20+ quite as often. His shotblocking would be there, but he would not be allowed to simply camp in the lane.

Wilt was an incredible athlete, and the only other name in the conversation with him in this dept through entire history of the NBA is Lebron James. The man played whistle to whistle constantly. Tim simply can't compare in this aspect.

I think if you put the two teams they were on in their primes and put them in a season together the games would be competitive, and Tim would come out on top on a regular basis. Tim's arsenal of moves is incredible, and given his prime body he has the ability to do whatever he needs against a defender. Wilt was a much more creative passer, but I believe Tim is the more creative scorer, and certainly has more range. Bill Russel had trouble guarding Wilt, and so it is only logical to believe Tim would as well, although I believe Tim's prime D could be considered top 3 among big men.

I actually just kind of talked myself back to the fence, like I said, great question.

Koolaid_Man
10-25-2010, 10:21 PM

:toast yep these bitches can whine and moan to the mods until those fucking cows come home...nothing changes the fact that "Timmy" is done...and quite frankly it's more than safe to say that the Spurs like the Rockets won't ever sniff a title again in our lifetimes...they're done...so Spur fan better make extra copies of those title year DVD's cause it's a wrap. and I'm loving it...:hat

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
different rules
The rules weren't that much different...

Jump ball every quarter.
Bonus free throws if team was over the limit, eg: 3 to make 2 if fouled in act of shooting, or 2 to make 1 on a made field goal.
No 3 point shot.

Anyway, if the game was close, Wilt didn't come out. His athleticism was the reason, he didn't wear down. Look at game 7 of the 2010 finals, most key players stayed in most the game, and they were gassed by the finish. This is one of the reasons Boston committed so many fouls in the fourth quarter. They could only move their arms, not their legs.

It's hard to compare players from different generations anyway

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Obviously you have to go with Chamberlain if you're comparing them in regards to the work they did against the players in their own era..Wilt was the most dominant player to ever step on the basketball court..while his character flaws and flaws as a teammate have been well-publicized, a man that was so much superior than anybody in his sport in every regard, including being a world-class track and field athlete, deserves all the credit he gets..

The only reason to go with Duncan is if you don't believe Wilt's era deserves the praise it gets, which is a fair criticism..personally, I give them credit, and I like to compare the work they did in their own era and then consider some of the circumstances..generally, when you look at the top players in every era, they tend to play well against the top starts of the other eras(for example, Wilt held his own vs. Kareem, Kareem held his own vs. Hakeem, Hakeem held his own vs. Shaq, and you can keep going)..

It should also be noted that today's players obviously have plenty of advantages in every aspect of training, equipment and pretty much everything else you can think of..

It's easier to compare their work during their own era and then go from there IMO..obviously there are plenty of circumstances to consider..either way, Wilt's dominance is only topped by Jordan and Kareem, from a historical standpoint, at least IMO..

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
:toast yep these bitches can whine and moan to the mods until those fucking cows come home...nothing changes the fact that "Timmy" is done...and quite frankly it's more than safe to say that the Spurs like the Rockets won't ever sniff a title again in our lifetimes...they're done...so Spur fan better make extra copies of those title year DVD's cause it's a wrap. and I'm loving it...:hat

The Rockets won't sniff, but, the Spurs ain't done sniffing.

Duncan isn't obstinate. He'll adjust his game to his failings and find a place from which to wield his impact. Same thing with Manu. If this Splitter fellow has a game they'll have to be dealt with.

TD 21
10-25-2010, 11:14 PM
It's a fair question, but Wilt is the logical choice.

Wilt is definitely top 5 NBA all time and some consider him #1 and most no worse than #3.
Tim is arguably top 10 NBA all time, and few place him higher than #5.

If you need 30 to 50 points in a game, or 20+ rebounds, you pick Wilt. Wilt could pass the ball to open teammates, and once led the league in assists.

Tim seems a crisper passer to the open wingman for 3. Wilt didn't pass that far out, no 3 point goal in his days. Wilt passed to cutters to the hoop.

Tim's bankshot to me seems a lot more pure than the fallaway bankshot Wilt used to take from the same range.

Wilt intimidated most everyone who drove on him. Wilt could easily block 10 shots in a game.

Tim shoots freethrows better. Outside of Wilt's bankshot, he didn't shoot jumpers from 10-15 feet out.

Wilt was still very athletic when he retired. He jumped to the ABA in 1973-74 as player/coach, but a court order from the Lakers stopped him from playing.

Right, because we all know that the two era's are the same...put Duncan in the 60's and you don't think he'd have routinely scored 35+ and grabbed 20+? Conversely, put Chamberlain in the 00's and do you think he'd have routinely scored 35+ and grabbed 20+?

I'm not saying Duncan is better than Chamberlain, but for those of you who are dismissive of Duncan when he's compared to the other all-time great big men and dismissive of Duncan today when he's compared to the current top big men, let me ask you this: If he's supposedly not that great, then how did he accomplish all he accomplished? He boasts a resume that few have matched or even approximated and even less have exceeded and he did it all without another all-time great playing at the top of his game and without ever having the most talented roster in the league. So what was it then, an unheard of amount of good fortune?

DJB
10-26-2010, 01:51 AM

Wilt
Russell
Abdul-Jabbar
O'Neal
Olajuwon

the end

Worst troll ever. :lol

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Right, because we all know that the two era's are the same...put Duncan in the 60's and you don't think he'd have routinely scored 35+ and grabbed 20+? Conversely, put Chamberlain in the 00's and do you think he'd have routinely scored 35+ and grabbed 20+?

I'm not saying Duncan is better than Chamberlain, but for those of you who are dismissive of Duncan when he's compared to the other all-time great big men and dismissive of Duncan today when he's compared to the current top big men, let me ask you this: If he's supposedly not that great, then how did he accomplish all he accomplished? He boasts a resume that few have matched or even approximated and even less have exceeded and he did it all without another all-time great playing at the top of his game and without ever having the most talented roster in the league. So what was it then, an unheard of amount of good fortune?

Very fair to ask, Duncan in the 60's. Here's my take. TD plays center.

Duncan is a better player than Bill Russell. So you would get a better defender than Bill, but not as much offense as Wilt. However, yes, you could easily get 35 points and 20 rebounds a game.

Now, it gets tricky. What team does Duncan play on? It was an 8 team league. Let's throw out Boston, Warriors, and 76rs, Chamberlain and Russell's teams.

If Tim plays for the Hawks, he and Bob Pettet have a chance for 1 or 2 rings early on. in addition to 1958. Hawks resurged in late 60's, maybe 1 more then.

If Tim played for Cincinatti, combining forces with Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas, they probably beat Boston several times. 2 to 4 rings, maybe more.

If Tim played for the Lakers, combining forces with Jerry West and Elgin Baylor, they probably beat Boston several times. 2 to 4 rings, maybe more.

If Tim played on the Knicks he may have won several rings near the end of his career. Reed at center, Tim PF, or vice versa. Those Knicks won 2 on their own, they would have to get another with TD.

If Tim played for the Pistons, I doubt he wins a thing.

So, chances are TD goes down in history as better than Russell, as he should, and it's a debate between him and Wilt because it's likely Tim has more rings.

tbonewalker
10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Wilt's dead so I thinkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I'm gonna have to go with Duncan on this one

Moron alert...

Read the question over again real slow this time!

"
In their primes...

Who was the better basketball player?

"

tbonewalker
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
figuring the competition, I'd say Duncan. Wilt really just had to go up against the Celtics and a buncha short white guys and caught Kareem on the tail end of his career.

:lmao

Sorry, Ashy, but....

ahh heck, just PM me and we can go over this.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 03:57 PM
How many Chamberlain games did you watch?

tbonewalker
10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
How many Chamberlain games did you watch?

Uncle recorded a handful of games on VHS throughout his career and passed them on to me along with a bunch of other old school Laker games both good ones and bad ones.

The majority of legit game film I've seen on Wilt came in a nice batch of tapes off ebay. Total of 41 games from Wilt at different stages of his career and there has never been a more dominant force to play in the NBA. Period.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Uncle recorded a handful of games on VHS throughout his career and passed them on to me along with a bunch of other old school Laker games both good ones and bad ones.Wilt retired in 1973.

The VHS format was introduced in 1976.

tbonewalker
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Wilt retired in 1973.

Lol, are you really going to try and tell me there is no footage of the world pre-1976 on VHS?

Get a clue. You just willingly owned yourself.

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Uncle recorded a handful of games on VHS throughout his careerOh it's quite clear who owned himself here.

tbonewalker
10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh it's quite clear who owned himself here.

Yes, yourself. You have owned yourself again. What don't you understand about footage of the world Pre-1976 on VHS? What don't you understand about past games being replayed on television?

According to you, there is no way I have every game on VHS from the 1972 NBA Finals. VHS wasn't invented until 4 years later, so there's no possible way I have these tapes in my closet. :lmao

Simpletons like you think that it's impossible to watch every NBA game throughout the season. Simpletons like you have no clue what NBA League pass is. Simpletons like you routinely own themselves. :ihit

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
What don't you understand about what you posted?
Uncle recorded a handful of games on VHS throughout his career

Stephen
10-26-2010, 05:06 PM
different rules

and shittier players

lets see him try to average 2 fouls a game with guys like Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, and Carmello driving through the lanes

Stephen
10-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Worst troll ever. :lol

worse than your dumb ass?

actually he may be

tbonewalker
10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
What don't you understand about what you posted?

My Uncle recorded games of Wilt Chamberlain (all games at different points of his career) that were being replayed on television. You are a moron if you can't come to grips with this.

I understand perfectly well what my Uncle did. If you need me to spell these simple things out for you to understand fully, that is your problem and I will not help simplify things to a 3rd grade reading level for you.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Wilt retired in 1973.

:lmao

Flintstones32
10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I have never liked comparing different eras. I think it is very unfair to those who played back when. It is not Wilt's fault he played in that time and against that competition. You can really only look at what they did against the competition they were given and go from there.

To me, Wilt is the better choice just taking the competition out of it and looking at both players. Duncan is a top 10 player in my eyes just based on his domination during the Spurs title runs, but Wilt is probably a top 3 player of all time and only Shaq could compare with his intimidation factor.