PDA

View Full Version : Does Shawn Marion Have the Ugliest Shot Ever?

AmarilloDoc
05-22-2005, 12:52 PM
While I respect the guy and admire his amazing athleticism, I absolutely HATE to watch Marion shoot the ball. He looks like a 5th grader that hasn't developed the upper body strength to shoot the ball above his head. It's amazing to me that he shoots as well as he does and doesn't have more shots blocked since he shoots it low and in front of his body. Has anyone ever tried to correct it? It drives me crazy to watch him. Am I the only one?

timvp
05-22-2005, 12:56 PM
It goes in.

BronxCowboy
05-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I agree with both of you.

King
05-22-2005, 01:01 PM
If it doesn't go in, it's ugly.

If it goes in, it's unorthodox.

Catharsis
05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
He sort of gets it over his head. While the spring starts at the chest, the release is over the head in front of the eyes. Personally, I think he should take less of the perimeter shots and mop up ala Cardinal AKA "The Custodian." That's where the majority of his points really come from.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2005, 01:16 PM
I would take Shawn Marion's player package with the ugly shot over Brent Barry's player package with the "beautiful" shot any day...

stéphane
05-22-2005, 01:20 PM
If it doesn't go in, it's ugly.

If it goes in, it's unorthodox.
great answer. word

gregpschneid
05-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I think he has a great shot, it is basically impossible to block since he gets it off so quickly

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
I would take Shawn Marion's player package with the ugly shot over Brent Barry's player package with the "beautiful" shot any day...

Wow, that's quite a sacrifice, being willing to take an All-Star in exchange for a bench player :lol

Actually with the way he starts it at his chest, it's easier to block there, guys just aren't usually close enough to block it as they're defending the drive.

violentkitten
05-22-2005, 01:39 PM
it would be interesting to learn how he developed that because it's a shrewd shooting motion, he doesnt have to take it from his waist to over his head, just to his chest. that half second or so is enough to give him the space to take it.

SpursFanDan
05-22-2005, 01:46 PM
hes kind of short arms it... I was always taught to follow through. he reminds me of some kind of deer,... or preying mantis.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Wow, that's quite a sacrifice, being willing to take an All-Star in exchange for a bench player :lol

Actually with the way he starts it at his chest, it's easier to block there, guys just aren't usually close enough to block it as they're defending the drive.

:lol

actually Aggie I was referring to the fact that Barry is generally accepted to have one of the "prettiest" natural shooting strokes in the league...now if he would just take the open shots and hit them...:lol

SpursFanDan
05-22-2005, 01:50 PM
allens natural stroke>Barrys

Obstructed_View
05-22-2005, 01:52 PM
It's funny that Larry Brown said that nobody on the olympic team could shoot from the outside. He probably saw Marion's shot and decided nothing that ugly could go in very often. I'm amazed he's such a good shooter. If I were his coach I wouldn't have him screw around with his shooting motion until someone can exploit it.

Tom_Foolery
05-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I've always thought Austin Croshere's stroke was a bit funny.

Was he in "Hoosiers"?

atlfan25
05-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Does Shawn Marion Have the Ugliest Shot Ever?
yes :pctoss

sickdsm
05-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Reggie Miller has an ugly shot too.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I never thought of Brent as having a pretty stroke. He seems to push it, uses too much arm and not enough leg.

Allen, I would agree, has the picture-perfect shot.