PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson hopes his power forward minutes drop

duncan228
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Jefferson hopes his power forward minutes drop (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/tim_griffin/2010/10/jefferson-hopes-his-power-forw.html)
By Tim Griffin

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/tim_griffin/2010/10/jefferson-hopes-his-power-forw.html

mazerrackham
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
ugh, bobby simmons....:vomit:

widowmaker
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
With all the bigmen the spurs have this year there is absolutely no need for Jefferson to play PF. I hope pop let's him get more comfortable and quits confusing him even more.

Dex
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
But Jefferson made it clear he hopes than new acquisition Bobby Simmons will be ready to lend a hand playing at power forward.

:bang

widowmaker
10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Bobby simmons has no business playing PF either, let alone back up to Jefferson.

DesignatedT
10-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Bobby Simmons played the 4 well during the pre-season. He is pretty much classified as a small ball 4 around the league now. He can't guard the 3's but I was pretty impressed with his ability to guard opposing bigs. That being said I would rather not play small at all.

Leonard Curse
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
im not a pop basher but these kind of rotations are useless and if he keeps it up hes going to lose alot of respect from his peers. hes just being a stubborn old military man

lefty
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
im not a pop basher but these kind of rotations are useless and if he keeps it up hes going to lose alot of respect from his peers. hes just being a stubborn old military man
+1

I mean why would he play RJ at the PF position

We are deep in the paint

Maybe Pop is trying to send RJ a message: " if you dont wake the fuck up, I'll play you out of your natural position "

Manufan909
10-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Lefty, Manu looks like that blonde roofied him in your avatar.:lol

And fuck small ball, which equals Blair losing minutes to yet another inferior player.

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I think everyone hopes this with RJ as long as Simmons isnt his replacement

ElNono
10-25-2010, 05:35 PM
He's crying already? Season hasn't even started yet.
How about showing some sacrifice and hunger, RJ?

ohmwrecker
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
You and me both, buddy.

ohmwrecker
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
He's crying already? Season hasn't even started yet.
How about showing some sacrifice and hunger, RJ?

Did you watch the video? He was exaggerating. It's pretty obvious.

Cane
10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Hopefully RJ told this to Pop during their offseason workouts. I also remember a quote from RJ a while back saying he wasn't used to throwing the inbounds pass.

Chomag
10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Lefty, Manu looks like that blonde roofied him in your avatar.:lol

And fuck small ball, which equals Blair losing minutes to yet another inferior player.

I totaly agree, Spurs have Blair and Dice, there is no reason for anyone else at the 4. If Pop must go with his new love of small ball Blair would be just fine at the 4 just need to have a center with him when he is in like Duncan Splitter or even Dice.

I just don't undestand why Pop allways seems to want to go with micro Ball with Blair the only big out there.

Blair is a perfect fit to put along side a taller shot blocker for weakside help. Allthough Blair and Bonner should never be on the court together. There skill sets just do not complement each other.

TJastal
10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Bobby Simmons played the 4 well during the pre-season. He is pretty much classified as a small ball 4 around the league now. He can't guard the 3's but I was pretty impressed with his ability to guard opposing bigs. That being said I would rather not play small at all.

lol @ all the justifications already spewing forth from the pollyannas

Chieflion
10-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Isn't that what we all want? No small ball? RJ gets plenty of hate for stating the best case scenario, tbh.

ElNono
10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Did you watch the video? He was exaggerating. It's pretty obvious.

I didn't. I read the article.
tbh, the only thing that surprises me is the timing.
I know the excuses are coming from him when it comes playing the 4, but I expected at least a couple of games into the season before we hear the :cry

Dex
10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Isn't that what we all want? No small ball? RJ gets plenty of hate for stating the best case scenario, tbh.

Yeah, but considering Simmons is slightly shorter, heavier, and older than RJ (ok, the 20 days is a stretch) and didn't really seem to shine defensively either...I don't really see how this is an upgrade as a Power Forward. It's just replacing one stopgap for another.

If Simmons can go in there and show that he can play the four, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Chieflion
10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, but considering Simmons is slightly shorter, heavier, and older than RJ (ok, the 20 days is a stretch) and didn't really seem to shine defensively either...I don't really see how this is an upgrade as a Power Forward. It's just replacing one stopgap for another.

If Simmons can go in there and show that he can play the four, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Being heavier is a better thing at PF, and he can act as the real stretch 4 because he is a better spot up shooter, at least in his career. At this point, having to play small ball with Simmons instead of Jefferson is somewhat negligible and Jefferson at the 3 would be way more productive than Jefferson playing small ball 4.

Dex
10-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Being heavier is a better thing at PF, and he can act as the real stretch 4 because he is a better spot up shooter, at least in his career. At this point, having to play small ball with Simmons instead of Jefferson is somewhat negligible and Jefferson at the 3 would be way more productive than Jefferson playing small ball 4.

Agreed that Simmons might be an upgrade to Jefferson at the four. I just think that the general backlash is because people don't want to see a three playing four anymore. They'd rather see those minutes properly distributed between our actual bigs, especially considering this team is packed with guys built like power forwards.

But yeah, Jefferson didn't necessarily say anything wrong. If anything, I couldn't agree with his point more; I hope his minutes at power forward drop, too. :lol

ohmwrecker
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
I didn't. I read the article.
tbh, the only thing that surprises me is the timing.
I know the excuses are coming from him when it comes playing the 4, but I expected at least a couple of games into the season before we hear the :cry

Would you be terribly offended if I started referring to you as ElDodo?

Danny.Zhu
10-25-2010, 09:20 PM
So do I.

ElNono
10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Would you be terribly offended if I started referring to you as ElDodo?

We're not discussing me in this thread. Is it that difficult to stick with the topic at hand?

G-Dawgg
10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Reality check. There's a reason why Pop is structuring this team into a small-ball style team with Duncan on his way out. Accept it.. the future of the Spurs is going to be small ball for years to come............ugh..

z0sa
10-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I think that's the general consensus, RJ ...

SenorSpur
10-26-2010, 12:06 AM
I love Pop, but I have to admit that the notion of trying to "shoe horn" RJ into a position that he had rarely played, and one that he was clearly uncomfortable with was short-sighted. Especially considering the fact that RJ was clearly struggling to adjust to the Spurs style to begin with and not playing well - it just made no sense. In fact, it only complicated matters.

I have a better suggestion for Pop - sometimes it's not good to muddy the water. There's something to be said for players that fit a particular profile, that possess certain skill sets and are productive at certain positions.

TJastal
10-26-2010, 12:31 AM
I love Pop, but I have to admit that the notion of trying to "shoe horn" RJ into a position that he had rarely played, and one that he was clearly uncomfortable with was short-sighted. Especially considering the fact that RJ was clearly struggling to adjust to the Spurs style to begin with and not playing well - it just made no sense. In fact, it only complicated matters.

I have a better suggestion for Pop - sometimes it's not good to muddy the water. There's something to be said for players that fit a particular profile, that possess certain skill sets and are productive at certain positions.

Like Roger Mason Jr? lol

Pop does love his unconventionalities...

mingus
10-26-2010, 12:51 AM
RMJ doesn't belong anywhere near an NBA court. he's shooting 20% in NY.

I think RJ can be valuable at the 4 this year against some teams. Isn't going to work against the elite though.

temujin
10-26-2010, 07:42 AM
I just hope his minutes drop, period.

Agloco
10-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Jefferson hopes his power forward minutes drop (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/tim_griffin/2010/10/jefferson-hopes-his-power-forw.html)
By Tim Griffin

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/tim_griffin/2010/10/jefferson-hopes-his-power-forw.html

Everyone not named Gregg Popovich hopes for this.

wontstartdumbthreads
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I love Pop, but I have to admit that the notion of trying to "shoe horn" RJ into a position that he had rarely played,

Like pitcher.

duncan228
10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Jefferson grasping the ‘Spurs Way’ (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jefferson_grasping_the_Spurs_Way_105744458.html)
By Mike Monroe

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jefferson_grasping_the_Spurs_Way_105744458.html

ohmwrecker
10-26-2010, 12:42 PM
We're not discussing me in this thread. Is it that difficult to stick with the topic at hand?

Sure. RJ is stating the obvious. thread/

Who's crying now?

phxspurfan
10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Anyone have preseason video of Bobby Simmons playing the 4? I wasn't able to catch any of the games since I'm not in the area, but I'd love to have a preview of what we're all in store to see :*(

The Truth #6
10-26-2010, 06:40 PM
I can see why RJ wouldn't want to play the 4 considering how things went last year. But IF the Spurs actually do put an emphasis on the fastbreak he may change his tune. In other words, if he's able to get easy points in transition like he's used to in the past, then I think he'll be more amenable being the "power forward".

But if he gets put in as the 4 and the team plays more traditional set offenses, then I can see how RJ would get frustrated and the team would suffer in general.