PDA

View Full Version : Barkley: Heat need to win two or three titles in five years to be a success

duncan228
10-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Barkley: Heat need to win two or three titles in five years. (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/barkley-heat-need-to-win-two-or-three-championships-in-five-years/)
by Ben Osborne
SLAM

Just back from the annual NBA on TNT Media Luncheon at the Time Warner center, where me and about 15 other folks that cover the L got treated to a nice lunch and some great remarks from some of TNT’s key on-air personalities: (listed as they were seated, from left to right) Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, Marv Albert, Steve Kerr and Mike Fratello. Marv served as an MC of sorts, but for the most part it was an open forum for the journalists to throw out questions to the guys (as well as the always classy TBS Sports President, David Levy) and let them answer off the cuff.

Besides catching up with some of the other media types there, I participated by asking Levy if TNT was approached about airing “The Decision” (”No,” he said. “And we wouldn’t have been interested in something where we had to give up control like that.”), all of the guys if Erik Spoelstra was up to the challenge of leading the star-powered Heat (Kenny said definitely, but Charles thinks there’s a real question as to whether Spo’ will fell comfortable yelling at LeBron/Wade, etc.) and taking lots of notes in the hopes of getting a great soundbite.

Sure enough, Sir Charles delivered. Somewhat unprompted, as the lunch and conversation were winding down, he announced that in his opinion, “the Heat have to win two, probably three, championships, in the next five years to be a success. We have never had a situation like that in the NBA.”

Show and prove time, fellas.

Ace
10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
The guy who never won a title is now determining what success is?

Ashy Larry
10-25-2010, 09:57 PM
so one title in those six years they will be together is successful especially with that talent?

I agree with Chuck.......

Ace
10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
so one title in those six years they will be together is successful especially with that talent?

I agree with Chuck.......

No of course I expect more out of this team just saying why anyone thinks his word means anything, especially in terms of talking about what success is.

Koolaid_Man
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
No of course I expect more out of this team just saying why anyone thinks his word means anything, especially in terms of talking about what success is.

so who's word means something to you...:lol MJ, Magic, or Bird...:lol

Ashy Larry
10-25-2010, 10:06 PM

I can go with that. And he has had a successful career. He just got caught up in the Mike era. A lot of successful people had to bow down in that era.

HarlemHeat37
10-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Barkley is correct here, for one of the first times in his life..

The Heat won't be favored this year(even though I believe they will win), but they will be favored to win every title starting next year, and they will only get better with more flexibility for moves..

Gutter92
10-25-2010, 10:39 PM

The Heat won't be favored this year(even though I believe they will win), but they will be favored to win every title starting next year, and they will only get better with more flexibility for moves..

Correct yet again HH.

Jose Canseco
10-25-2010, 10:52 PM
What I wonder is if they don't win a title the first two years ago, how will that humble them if at all considering the brashness of expecting to win 6... 7... 8... titles?

z0sa
10-25-2010, 11:00 PM

I think this is an important factor to consider. Even if the Heat don't win this summer, they will be much more flexible in the coming seasons. Of course, everything is speculation due to the impending lockout, at this point...

Chillen
10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree with Chuck. One hit wonders are never remembered. This is why Duncan is struggling to be remembered today. He had a few one hit wonders, yet no one seems to care.

The Spurs with Duncan are a little more than a 1 hit wonder. They didn't have this kind of situation where 3 NBA superstars joined forces to try and win a championship. Since they drafted Tim Duncan they have been in NBA title contention every single year, have won the NBA title 4 times and have had very good fortune in the NBA draft with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. This is far more than a 1 hit wonder this is a very successful and dominant team. While they might not be winning championships anymore come playoffs as long as Duncan, Parker, Ginobili are there they are highly capable of playing spoiler team. Also for you to say that no one care is pure trash talk. People move onto what's hot in pro sports, it's just the way it goes. The Miami Heat have created crazy expectations that might prove very difficult to live up to. The Spurs are a model franchise and all those championships won where done through the draft the way it should be done.

Ace
10-25-2010, 11:03 PM

Harlem with the goods. :lol

z0sa
10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
How does one have four one-hit wonders?

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Duncan's chronic inability to repeat is the bane of his NBA career. He's fortunate though in the fact that he isn't in a fish bowl like L.A. where if he'd a pulled such a stunt they'd a high tech lynched him quicker than a rabbit gets fucked. tee, hee.

z0sa
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Duncan's chronic inability to repeat is the bane of his NBA career. He's fortunate though in the fact that he isn't in a fish bowl like L.A. where if he'd a pulled such a stunt they'd a high tech lynched him quicker than a rabbit gets fucked. tee, hee.

:lol Translation: "Tim's 4 titles are the bane of his career!"

crc21209
10-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Barkley just needs to shut the hell up already, dude never won a damn thing in his career yet wants to talk shit about other players and their success or non-success...

Killakobe81
10-25-2010, 11:40 PM
How are the heat not favored? Vegas does this for aliving and THEY have installed the Heat as favorites ...

Ditty
10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
I agree with Chuck. One hit wonders are never remembered. This is why Duncan is struggling to be remembered today. He had a few one hit wonders, yet no one seems to care.

ill take the 4 one hit wonders :lol

MiamiHeat
10-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Las Vegas has the Heat favored to win it all.

and LV is usually never wrong.

I personally think 4 of the next 5 titles will belong to Miami, 1 of those being lost due to injuries.

Baseline
10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Barkley is the guy who went to Houston toplay with Olajuwon and Pippen. Yet he can pass judgment on the Miami trio before they've even played a game. It makes no sense.

Was Drexler on that Houston team as well?

SomeCallMeTim
10-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Las Vegas has the Heat favored to win it all.

and LV is usually never wrong.

75% of the time it works every time?

MiamiHeat
10-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Barkley is the guy who went to Houston toplay with Olajuwon and Pippen. Yet he can pass judgment on the Miami trio before they've even played a game. It makes no sense.

Charles responded to this exact question.

His retarded answer was something like :

"Oh, that was because I was old. But when I was in my prime, I thought I was the best so I wanted to do it by myself. I realized I wasnt the best when MJ beat me in the Finals, so I wouldnt have teamed up before that in my prime"

that was his stupid ass reasoning.

charles barkley is loved cause he's a big mouth, but he's fucking stupid. seriously.

Gutter92
10-26-2010, 01:43 AM

I don't know what is worse, failing to repeat or failing to win with one of the greatest defensive point guards of all time, the 2nd highest career scorer in NBA history (some Laker fans even call him the GOAT power forward), and one of the greatest centers and most dominant forces in NBA history.

The Heat have 3 superstars; the Lakers had 4 that year, and still lost

Just some food for thought

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't know what is worse, failing to repeat or failing to win with one of the greatest defensive point guards of all time, the 2nd highest career scorer in NBA history (some Laker fans even call him the GOAT power forward), and one of the greatest centers and most dominant forces in NBA history.

don't be an idiot, they were way past their primes...and malone was playing on one leg in the finals.

MiamiHeat
10-26-2010, 02:04 AM
don't be an idiot, they were way past their primes...and malone was playing on one leg in the finals.

Malone got injured in the Finals

and Kobe was in full-force "I HATE SHAQ AND I WANT TO BE LIKE MJ" mode, chucking shots and ignoring Phil Jackson in his quest to get an Finals MVP

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Malone got injured in the Finals

and Kobe was in full-force "I HATE SHAQ AND I WANT TO BE LIKE MJ" mode, chucking shots and ignoring Phil Jackson in his quest to get an Finals MVP

2004 Malone and Payton were not 1996 Malone and Payton...not even close. As for the Kobe shot, it's ignorant to think was the only player in that drama. Those two hated each other the past 5 years, but winning cures everything. When the Pistons started to win I just think all that frustration came to a boil.

cobbler
10-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Payton never bought into the triangle. He was pathetic. Malone was hobbled badly for the first 4 games and did not play in the 5th. With the circus that were the Lakers that year, it's amazing they made the finals.

Gutter92
10-26-2010, 02:16 AM

Oh, so lets see...

Because they were past their primes, you can't use the argument that that team was stacked.

How come I have repeatedly seen the argument by a few select Laker fans (not saying you) that Duncan's team was stacked in '03 because he had Parker and Ginobili.

The shoe is on the other foot, and that foot is kicking your ass.

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Oh, so lets see...

Because they were past their primes, you can't use the argument that that team was stacked.

How come I have repeatedly seen the argument by a few select Laker fans (not saying you) that Duncan's team was stacked in '03 because he had Parker and Ginobili.

The shoe is on the other foot, and that foot is kicking your ass.

who said that?

Sisk
10-26-2010, 02:34 AM
For everyone saying Vegas has the heat winning it all... Vegas isn't about statistical analysis or PER or blah blah blah.. it's about where the betters are betting.. that's the way odds are made.

Gutter92
10-26-2010, 02:38 AM
who said that?

When discussing this exact same topic, a few weeks ago

Only you would compare washed up players vs future studs. Duncan had a shit load of help.

Duncan had a shit load of help in '03 because of how the players ended up playing in their primes.

TDMVPDPOY
10-26-2010, 02:54 AM
2004 Malone and Payton were not 1996 Malone and Payton...not even close. As for the Kobe shot, it's ignorant to think was the only player in that drama. Those two hated each other the past 5 years, but winning cures everything. When the Pistons started to win I just think all that frustration came to a boil.

lol fail, u lakerfans like 2 praise malone n payton in the spurs/wolves series that year against really good players, then u downplay them 2 against the pistons

talk about hypocrisy

Killakobe81
10-26-2010, 06:57 AM
I thought Malone got hurt in WCF but either way no excuses Kobe and the Lakers got beat ...
BTW that years along with 2002 were the shittiest Lakers seasons from a team harmony stand-point and though Kobe was a part of it it was not all his blame either ...

Iceman101
10-26-2010, 07:40 AM

Yeah, Drexler retired early because he hated Barkley

AussieFanKurt
10-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Only lakers fans could turn a heat topic into a duncan is shit topic

Giuseppe
10-26-2010, 10:10 AM
The Skunker compels us, Aussie.

tee, hee.

duncan228
10-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Barkley everywhere.

Charles Barkley does (not) have a gambling problem (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/20664/charles-barkley-does-not-have-a-gambling-problem)
By Henry Abbott

Charles Barkley tells GQ (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201011/charles-barkley-nba#ixzz13TBPP236) (a little PG-13):

Yeah, I like to gamble. And I'm going to keep gambling. And I just have to tell people, if they don't like it, they can kiss my a--. F--- 'em. You know, I quit gambling for a while. But then I was like, 'Why am I quitting gambling? I don't have a problem.'"

When it comes to gambling, Barkley has wrestled with the word "problem." In a May 2006 ESPN report (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2432043) he said:

Barkley said Wednesday on ESPN that he has lost "probably $10 million" gambling, adding, "It is a problem for me."

"My agent has really worked with me to try to get it where I can go and gamble and have fun," he said. "That's easier said than done.

"Do I have a gambling problem? Yeah, I do have a gambling problem but I don't consider it a problem because I can afford to gamble. It's just a stupid habit that I've got to get under control, because it's just not a good thing to be broke after all of these years," he added.

Barkley told ESPN that he's working to solve the problem.

"I gamble too much, I gamble for too much money," he said. "And it's something I have to address ... I am addressing it, that would be the best way to explain it."

Just to recap:

* "I don't have a problem."

* "It is a problem for me."

* "I do have a gambling problem."

* "I don't consider it a problem."

He's exactly right: It's a free country. It's none of our business how he spends his money. He's not asking for any handouts.

I'm sure we almost all follow his line of reasoning there.

But am I convinced he's in control of how he spends his time and money? No. Not at all.

hater
10-26-2010, 01:15 PM

LMAO the 2004 Lakers :lol

great point

hater
10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.posters.ws/images/837201/2003_2004_lakers_group_4_bench_photofile.jpg

hater
10-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Most recent epic failures in the last 10 years:
- 2004 Lakers (Malone+Shaq+Kobe+Payton = failure)
- 2006 Mavericks (backdoor finals sweep)
- 2007 Mavericks (60+ wins = 1st round failure)
- 2008 Lakers (favorites by a mile, end up with nothing LOL Bynum)
- 2011 Heat??

hitmanyr2k
10-26-2010, 01:47 PM

To be fair Barkley was 33 when he went to the Rockets to play with Hakeem and Drexler (who were also past their primes at 34 years of age). After Drexler retired at the end of '98 the Rockets got Pippen as a free agent that year. Barkley never really played with any other superstar while in his prime so it's not really the same as what Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are doing.

mavsfan1000
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Keys to Beating the Heat
1. Protect the Ball
2. Clog the Paint.
3. Double team Lebron and Wade when they have the ball.

Chillen
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
The 2004 Lakers even with Malone and Payton not in their primes should have won the NBA championship with that roster but failed to. The reason was Kobe, he kept taking shot after shot and it took the rest of the team out of the game and the team wasn't playing the team ball it takes to win the whole thing. In the NBA finals vs the Pistons they were an amazing defensive team and the Lakers got it good, they self destructed but all the credit goes to Detroit's defense. Of course that helped Kobe Bryant become more of a team player and he now takes shots in the flow of the game rather than force the issue, which against a team like the 2004 Detroit Pistons is a bad idea.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I clearly remember Game 4 especially, Shaq having missed like 2 shots the whole game and snaring boards and in beast mode, yet Kobe still jacking up contested looks.

lefty
10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I clearly remember Game 4 especially, Shaq having missed like 2 shots the whole game and snaring boards and in beast mode, yet Kobe still jacking up contested looks.
That's Kobe

No surprise

history2b
10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Most recent epic failures in the last 10 years:
- 2004 Lakers (Malone+Shaq+Kobe+Payton = failure)
- 2006 Mavericks (backdoor finals sweep)
- 2007 Mavericks (60+ wins = 1st round failure)
- 2008 Lakers (favorites by a mile, end up with nothing LOL Bynum)
- 2011 Heat??

2010 Spurs - swepted by the lowly Phoenix Suns amid "championship aspirations"

2009 Spurs - Annihilated by the lowly Dallas Mavericks in the 1st round

lefty
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Yup

Too bad Stern doesnt help us

z0sa
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM

lol butthurt because he mentioned the Lakers

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
lol fail, u lakerfans like 2 praise malone n payton in the spurs/wolves series that year against really good players, then u downplay them 2 against the pistons

talk about hypocrisy

Unless you can find a post where I said as much, I just can't take you seriously...sorry bro, no hard feelings.

Ace
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Keys to Beating the Heat
1. Protect the Ball
2. Clog the Paint.
3. Double team Lebron and Wade when they have the ball.

Double teaming one only leaves the other open. Trying to hard to shut down Wade or James also means you're leaving room for Bosh to have a big game.

mavsfan1000
10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Double teaming one only leaves the other open. Trying to hard to shut down Wade or James also means you're leaving room for Bosh to have a big game.
Double team off the point guard or center and play zone to protect the middle but allow for some jump shots. Basically make the Heat beat you by jumpers. If they can consistently hit them, they will win. But you should not let them in the paint without some traffic.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Anybody else find this topic an obvious one anyway?

"The Heat need to win titles over their best players' primes in order to be considered a success."

No shit.

history2b
10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
They gotta win at least 3 in order to be considered a success.

Flintstones32
10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Championships are not easy. To actually say a team needs to win multiple titles to be a success is a bit nonsense to me. Obviously the Heat have a target on their back and some lofty expectations, but just winning a single championship to me is a success.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
They gotta win at least 3 in order to be considered a success.

So you don't consider the current LA Lakers a success.

pauls931
10-26-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree with the chuckster.. This is like in his day having himself, Bird, and Dr J on the same team in their primes leaving the best player in the league 'Magic' as primary competition.

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2010, 05:58 PM

for the next 2 years they are, but after tht might be a different story tbh

history2b
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Lol, the critical thinking skills of Spurs fans has to be the most piss poor I've ever seen.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
for the next 2 years they are, but after tht might be a different story tbh

I definitely consider the current LA Lakers a resounding success. 2 titles is impeccable.

Your boy 2b thinks different, though.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Lol, the critical thinking skills of Spurs fans has to be the most piss poor I've ever seen.

More like you just hold a double standard for your favorite team.

Either that or the current LA Lakers are not a success. Pick one.

Killakobe81
10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
You know what ... let's be real. The heat don't need to win anything ... Lebron does. Wade already has a ring and he can enhance his legacy but he is no threat to MJ or even Kobe. Lebron has a chance to easily surpass Kobe in legacy and still an outside shot at MJ for GOAT. He is the only one that NEEDS to win 3 or more titles. If they win 2 Wade has 3 and he is just behind duncan and tied with Bird in rings as a leader (or co-leader) of a championship team. Lebron is the only 1 with a chance to approach Mj status even if Wade is the more well-rounded player. And Bosh? Bosh wins a few titles and he still not even in the class legacy wise with worthy or McHale. Dont get me wrong Bosh is a great player by today's standards ...but Mchale he is not. he may not be even as good as Pau but i think he is close. but the real pressure is on Lebron. I think he wins if not this year than next. And the chase for MJ will be on ...as for the miami franchise, to win a title as one of the more recent expansion squads ...is more than can be expected.

Flintstones32
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes I agree with that, it is more about LeBron winning than the Heat, but even if they somehow pull off 7 championships someday, are people( and I mean real bball fans, not bspn) really going to give him any respect as GOAT? I just can't see that happening.

If he had done that with Cleveland, hell ya, but the way he has gone about it just screams of desperation and pretty much letting everyone know that he needs help, which is fine, everyone needs help in winning championships, but I think he went a little overboard in the way he got that help.

history2b
10-26-2010, 06:24 PM
More like you just hold a double standard for your favorite team.

Either that or the current LA Lakers are not a success. Pick one.

Actually no you simpleton. The reason why this discussion is even taking place is because of the unprecedented situation Miami has created. 3 superstar players all in their 20's all barely hitting their primes playing together at once is not a situation that can be compared to any other team's situation.

Even the stupidest of fans who knows absolutely nothing about the NBA surely could have figured that out, but noooo not for the cyber stalker looking for any reason to talk to his person of interest.

z0sa
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Actually no you simpleton. The reason why this discussion is even taking place is because of the unprecedented situation Miami has created. 3 superstar players all in their 20's all barely hitting their primes playing together at once is not a situation that can be compared to any other team's situation.

Even the stupidest of fans who knows absolutely nothing about the NBA surely could have figured that out, but noooo not for the cyber stalker looking for any reason to talk to his person of interest.

So you hold a double standard for your own team.