PDA

View Full Version : Da'Sean Butler

Dalamar_the_Dark
10-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Heat just cut him. I would pick him up and stash him as our 15th player and see how he recovers from his ACL injury. This guy is a winner.

Ditty
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
really?

im all for it

DesignatedT
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Seeing as Pop already said he isn't planning on carrying more than 13 or 14, I doubt they are going to pay $$ for Butler to sit on the bench. especially if it puts us over the tax line.

ChuckD
10-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Heat just cut him. I would pick him up and stash him as our 15th player and see how he recovers from his ACL injury. This guy is a winner.

Wow. You would? Too bad most people here are only interested in what the Spurs would do. Pop has already said they aren't keeping 15.

Ditty
10-25-2010, 10:22 PM
i rather take this guy over gee or simmons even stanley robinson

spurs_2108
10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
It sucked to see him go down in the tourney like that. Bob Huggins and all .

Dalamar_the_Dark
10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Why not just cut Gee and give Butler a non-guaranteed contract? I think he has way more upside then the players we have like Gee, Simmons, Neal & Temple. If he recovers and Pop can teach him defense, then trade RJ outta town.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow. You would? Too bad most people here are only interested in what the Spurs would do. Pop has already said they aren't keeping 15.

Well it's much smarter to stick with what you said a few weeks ago rather than to evaluate a situation as it develops.

ChuckD
10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Well it's much smarter to stick with what you said a few weeks ago rather than to evaluate a situation as it develops.

Butler was sliding in a lot of mocks before he fucked up his knee. He's a room temperature athlete by NBA standards, and he's coming off major knee surgery. Not worth the investment.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Butler was sliding in a lot of mocks before he fucked up his knee. He's a room temperature athlete by NBA standards, and he's coming off major knee surgery. Not worth the investment.

I like that reason a whole lot more.

Trill Clinton
10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
do.not.want

ChuckD
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I like that reason a whole lot more.

It gets exasperating explaining "why not" in the daily some team cut some guy I've heard of, hey let's sign him thread. If great college players always became great pros, Alfrederick Hughes wouldn't have stiffed.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
It gets exasperating explaining "why not" in the daily some team cut some guy I've heard of, hey let's sign him thread. If great college players always became great pros, Alfrederick Hughes wouldn't have stiffed.

I understand, and I won't pretend to know who the guy is, but "because Pop said he's not going to add any more players" isn't much of a reason. I genuinely appreciate the second effort.

Solid D
10-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I understand, and I won't pretend to know who the guy is, but "because Pop said he's not going to add any more players" isn't much of a reason. I genuinely appreciate the second effort.

If you watched the NCAAs Elite Eight and Final Four, then you would have seen Da'Sean Butler. He's the guy that forced a turnover versus Cincy and then hit a bank shot 3 ftw at the buzzer. Then he blew out his knee versus Duke in the Semis.

Do you remember him, now?

Chieflion
10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Isn't the guy still under rehab?

ivanfromwestwood
10-26-2010, 02:06 AM
sSqgXgEVmQQ

#2!
10-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Spurs need to focus on winning this year, and players who might be a factor next year depending on how they recover from major surgery and learn how to play solid defense and learn the offensive playbook don't fit that bottom line.

Don't forget that Tony and Tim have acknowledged this season is probably it as far as having a chance.

ChuckD
10-26-2010, 07:20 AM
If you watched the NCAAs Elite Eight and Final Four, then you would have seen Da'Sean Butler. He's the guy that forced a turnover versus Cincy and then hit a bank shot 3 ftw at the buzzer. Then he blew out his knee versus Duke in the Semis.

Yes, I remember who he is.

A lot of times, the things that players do to score in the NCAA won't work in the NBA, because they either lack the size or athleticism to translate it to the next level. Butler was one of those guys, and was already sliding down the first round in mocks because of it.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2010, 07:45 AM

Nope, but I remember that he's 6'8", so I understand the impulse for some Spurs fans to want to bring him in.

Mr. Body
10-26-2010, 08:11 AM
I was at the game he tore his knee in the Final Four. F'n Dookies.

I can't see taking him on - we don't have a long term spot for rehab and development.

SenorSpur
10-26-2010, 10:02 AM
From DraftExpress:

If teams made their picks based entirely on maturity or character, it’s a safe bet Butler would be at or near the top of everyone’s board. With that said, his body of work during the regular season was impressive enough that he still stands a very good chance of being drafted, despite not being able to participate in individual workouts.

Butler will be making his final pitches to teams in the final ten days leading up to draft night. He is scheduled to meet with The Thunder, Clippers, Trail Blazers and the Spurs, with a possible meeting with the Pacers also in the works.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Da-Sean-Butler-1184/#ixzz13Tei0Dg0
http://www.draftexpress.com

Agloco
10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone know the minimum we'd have to offer? Perhaps getting him on the cheap and letting him sit for a while wouldn't be such a bad idea.

8FOR!3
10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I would think the guy would sign for the minimum, he's a rookie who just got cut.

jjktkk
10-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Butler is definitely a guy to keep a eye on, maybe for next year, if not sooner. Another guy for next year I would like the Spurs to kick the tires on would be Jeff Pendergraph as a solid 3,4 prospect. The Blazers just realeased him today.(knee injury).

http://bit.ly/dbKwsd

Bruno
10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
What about waiting that this guy is healthy before considering signing him?

rayray2k8
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM

^
This guy might be onto something.... Hmm maybe there was a reason why Miami cut him.

admiralsnackbar
10-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Miami is loaded at the 3 spot, so his being cut doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a negative prognosis of recovery.

Considering he injured himself in March, he should be ready for action by December barring any complications in his recovery. It's a gamble, but considering we could get him for peanuts, it would certainly be worth at least investigating since he played fair defense, shot well, and was a good team mate. His youth is also a plus in terms of healing potential.

Have a look, RC.

BronxCowboy
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I liked Butler a lot in college, and I think if he can make a full recovery from his knee injury he will make a solid NBA player. But it does make sense for the Spurs (or any team) to wait and see how much he can recover before taking him on.

ohmwrecker
10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Just a hunch but, I don't think the Spurs are interested bringing in anyone
who isn't ready to contribute right away. They already have Gee, Neal and Simmons who are big question marks going in.
It doesn't make much sense to bring someone in to rehab and play on the Toros, who might be ready to contribute next year.
I don't begrudge you guys making threads and talking these guys up, but I don't see this kind of thing in the current Spurs mindset.

Dalamar_the_Dark
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Why not? I think its perfectly within the Spurs model to take a player and give him a minimum contract and get him playing for the Toros and assess him there.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM

His asking price is probably pretty low, as is the demand for him. Might expect that to go up as the season wears on. It's not the worst idea to suggest stashing him now while there's an opportunity.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2010, 11:01 PM
^
This guy might be onto something.... Hmm maybe there was a reason why Miami cut him.

Yeah, there were two... LeBron and Wade. :lol

Dalamar_the_Dark
03-26-2011, 04:52 AM
I said it first!