PDA

View Full Version : All hail the Masterpiece...

ElNono
10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
With the news that the Spurs submitted their roster to the league and the announcement that the inactive players for the first game tomorrow include Gee and Splitter, Bobby Simmons has officially made the team and become part of the Spurs family.

Thoughts?

Brazil
10-26-2010, 08:18 AM
honestly ? idk

TwelveGs210
10-26-2010, 08:21 AM
What did you expect? Bogans 2.0

lefty
10-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Pop has got the crazies again

ElNono
10-26-2010, 08:29 AM
What did you expect?

I think he's going to back up RJ... and I certainly wish him well.
I am pretty skeptic about him right now though.

Ice009
10-26-2010, 08:35 AM
In the preseason games I saw his defense was shit against small forwards. I was going to say that every time I saw him in the post his defense was surprisingly better.

A few other posters mentioned the same thing so I didn't bother, but yeah if he is a back up for RJ then I don't see why the Spurs signed him unless he'll be a small ball 4. Unless he is still getting into shape, can get quicker laterally and ditch the cement boots, I don't see how he can guard any small forwards outside of the paint.

TwelveGs210
10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
I think he's going to back up RJ... and I certainly wish him well.
I am pretty skeptic about him right now though.

Pop does this every year.. He hasn't really given the final spot to a younger guy with potential since he gave it to Jack in 02'. He's been playing conservative for the last few years, and has been going with the vets he feels he can trust. I dont know much about Simmons, but I'm not expecting much from him.

hater
10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
let the man play a few regular season minutes at least.

TimmehC
10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I hope he's just insurance in case RJ or Anderson gets hurt. Or the human victory cigar. Something tells me that's not how Pop sees him, though.

yavozerb
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
let the man play a few regular season minutes at least.

no kidding...How about we at least have a couple of games to make our assessments of players before starting these stupid threads on players..

8FOR!3
10-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Simmons can at least still shoot the ball somewhat, that in itself should stop all of the Bogans comparisons.

crc21209
10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
The guy will be a 13-15 minute per game player at most to start the season...let's see how he does first before we bash him...

Agloco
10-26-2010, 11:14 AM
With the news that the Spurs submitted their roster to the league and the announcement that the inactive players for the first game tomorrow include Gee and Splitter, Bobby Simmons has officially made the team and become part of the Spurs family.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming that black text is really blue in the title? :hat

ElNono
10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm assuming that black text is really blue in the title? :hat

Certainly tongue in cheek...
However, it's official... Simmons is staying, at least for now...

ElNono
10-26-2010, 11:44 AM
no kidding...How about we at least have a couple of games to make our assessments of players before starting these stupid threads on players..

Feel free not to post on allegedly stupid threads...

Agloco
10-26-2010, 11:46 AM

An abomination I'd say. No tongue in cheek. Where's the seven footer anyway?

benefactor
10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
It's not a contender, that's for damn sure.

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
:rolleyes This again

slick'81
10-26-2010, 12:04 PM
No thoughts until i see him play this season

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm fine with it if he's the small ball PF.

Can't really do anything else. I don't think it's a conditioning issue either.

ace3g
10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
at least he isn't starting; Bogans was named the starting SG for the Bulls this weekend

Blackjack
10-26-2010, 03:31 PM
This was all-but confirmed by Brown after the Clippers game in Mexico, IIRC. He essentially said they liked him as a small ball 4 and thought he was doing a solid job through camp and with the minutes he'd been given - a real pro, or some such.

I like Simmons, I hate what's happened to his lateral quickness. It was made more than apparent that any usefulness he'll have on defense will be as a team defender and off the ball rather than on the ball at the wing - taking charges, getting deflections, etc.

Like his offensive skill as a small ball 4 but it remains to be seen how effective he'll be defensively in that role.

Hopefully we've yet to see what Simmons really has athletically, whether it's him pacing himself or just not being up to game speed.

Hoping for the best; but he certainly isn't what they needed from their backup 3, not the defender they need on the wing at least.

http://www.coupondad.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/KC_Masterpiece.gif

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
True, the whole point in going small is having a speed advantage. I don't see that with Simmons. I hope Gee can play that role at some point, or some other scrub signed later. Pat Ewing Jr. just got waived....

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Good news

#2!
10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
i'd like to think he makes bonner tradeable in the FO's eyes since he'll essentially have the same jobs...I can dream

ChumpDumper
10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I think Bonner might be quicker than Simmons at this point.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm OK with Simmons playing a small amount of minutes as the small ball 4, but he should be racking up a lot of DNP's this season. I'd rather see Temple as the backup 3, not Simmons.

jjktkk
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
ElNono, have you ever been accused of over analysis?

Wildcat67
10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
You know, for all the complaining, I see very few alternative options. We're talking about a guy at the bottom of the roster. Who really cares if he get's a few minutes? It isn't gonna make or break the season.

As opposed to Simmons who is the guy we were supposed to keep or go sign that was gonna be brilliant and win us a championship.

Mark in Austin
10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
If he can fill the motivated veteran role like Jerome Kersey did I would be happy...

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 04:17 PM
No problem with Simmons being here. Gee has shown absolutely nothing. If Simmons is used properly he could be a decent asset. I hope Anderson gets most the minutes at the backup 3 though.

ElNono
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
ElNono, have you ever been accused of over analysis?

What analysis? I'm asking for other people's thoughts.

Ultimately, if you gotta hate, hate the message, not the messenger... :p:

Blackjack
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM

That's one of those statements that almost produces tears and you're not sure if it's from laughter or sadness.

jjktkk
10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
What analysis? I'm asking for other people's thoughts.

Ultimately, if you gotta hate, hate the message, not the messenger... :p:

Oh no, no hate buddy. Your a knowledgable guy, it just seems that you sometimes tend to over analysis the Spurs roster, but I could be over analyzing your threads. :toast

jjktkk
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
That's one of those statements that almost produces tears and you're not sure if it's from laughter or sadness.

Both. :lol :cry

ElNono
10-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Oh no, no hate buddy. Your a knowledgable guy, it just seems that you sometimes tend to over analysis the Spurs roster, but I could be over analyzing your threads. :toast

If by knowledgable you mean 'waste a lot of time around these boards', you're absolutely right. :lol

I can't wait for the season to start, honestly...

jjktkk
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
If by knowledgable you mean 'waste a lot of time around these boards', you're absolutely right. :lol

I can't wait for the season to start, honestly...

Amen to that.

Bruno
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Every year, some fans has the strange need to pick a player to insult him and make him the scapegoat of all Spurs' wows. Bonner and Simmons will fight for that spot.

Simmons looks bad and I wish Spurs could do better to fill their end of the bench. It sucked that Gee didn't work after the promises he showed last year with Wizards.

And Simmons isn't that bad. It looks like it won't complain with not playing like Finley and Mason did last year. He is also a good shooter and won't hurt the team by playing out of his possibilities. His ability to play SF and PF, even if he isn't good at either spot, will give Spurs some flexibility which is important for a team with only 13 players.

If you look at the last preseason games, it seems that Simmons will barely play and Pop will go with Anderson as the primary backup SF. If the Anderson experiment doesn't work, Spurs are in deep trouble.

DPG21920
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Sad thing is, he didn't really play his way onto the team. He was just the lesser of all the evils and I am not even sure that is the case.

Here is to hoping we don't find out what he can do. Hopefully there is a minor amount of small ball.

jjktkk
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
If you look at the last preseason games, it seems that Simmons will barely play and Pop will go with Anderson as the primary backup SF. If the Anderson experiment doesn't work, Spurs are in deep trouble. I tend to agree. Simmons is more of a insurance guy, if Anderson struggles backing up RJ. But Simmons will also be useful as a small ball 4.

TD 21
10-27-2010, 01:22 AM
True, the whole point in going small is having a speed advantage. I don't see that with Simmons. I hope Gee can play that role at some point, or some other scrub signed later. Pat Ewing Jr. just got waived....

He's too small to play four. There's no way Gee is over 6-4. Although we did see Pop play Bogans at the four at times last season and if he's taller than Gee (which I doubt), it's by no more than an inch. But still, you can't play a 6-4 guy consistently as a small ball four.

Every year, some fans has the strange need to pick a player to insult him and make him the scapegoat of all Spurs' wows. Bonner and Simmons will fight for that spot.

Simmons looks bad and I wish Spurs could do better to fill their end of the bench. It sucked that Gee didn't work after the promises he showed last year with Wizards.

And Simmons isn't that bad. It looks like it won't complain with not playing like Finley and Mason did last year. He is also a good shooter and won't hurt the team by playing out of his possibilities. His ability to play SF and PF, even if he isn't good at either spot, will give Spurs some flexibility which is important for a team with only 13 players.

If you look at the last preseason games, it seems that Simmons will barely play and Pop will go with Anderson as the primary backup SF. If the Anderson experiment doesn't work, Spurs are in deep trouble.

Exactly. Limited as he is, he kills two birds with one stone. 1) Depth/insurance at SF, 2) Can double as the six big.

That's why, no matter how much Jerrells outplayed Temple (though it was beginning to even out as the games wore on), Temple was always going to make this team.

As much as people may think of training camp as an open competition, it's really not. A guy like Simmons, because he's a vet, from the day he was signed (despite having a non guaranteed contract) had to play himself off the team.

Looks to me like Simmons will be used almost strictly a small ball four. The times he plays three, I expect it to be against the bigger SF's, such as Anthony and Pierce. Not so much James, who's too explosive.

TDMVPDPOY
10-27-2010, 01:39 AM
simmons = trade bait

EricB
10-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Honestly didn't see anyone that was better, and nothing is available FA wise thats better.

Don't know why people think there are all these all stars laying in the weeds...

ChumpDumper
10-27-2010, 03:30 AM
He's too small to play four. There's no way Gee is over 6-4. Although we did see Pop play Bogans at the four at times last season and if he's taller than Gee (which I doubt), it's by no more than an inch. But still, you can't play a 6-4 guy consistently as a small ball four.Eh, everyone claims to know his height.

I tend not to believe anyone.

Leonard Curse
10-27-2010, 05:36 AM
im all for simmons as long as he takes off those heavy ankle weights hes been runnning with lately

TJastal
10-27-2010, 07:45 AM

:lol

ohmwrecker
10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
i'd like to think he makes bonner tradeable in the FO's eyes since he'll essentially have the same jobs...I can dream

Two things: I hope Simmons plays well enough to make Bonner obsolete and I hope Bonner's contract does not make him untradeable. Both seem highly unlikely, though.
I don't think Bonner is in any danger of being bumped by Simmons. Bonner is the small ball 5. Yeah!

TJastal
10-27-2010, 08:56 AM
I tend to agree. Simmons is more of a insurance guy, if Anderson struggles backing up RJ. But Simmons will also be used as a small ball 4.

fixed.

TJastal
10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
You know, for all the complaining, I see very few alternative options. We're talking about a guy at the bottom of the roster. Who really cares if he get's a few minutes? It isn't gonna make or break the season.

I'll be interested in seeing how u feel about this statement when Matt Barnes is making him his personal bitch in those "few" 10-15 minutes a game.

As opposed to Simmons who is the guy we were supposed to keep or go sign that was gonna be brilliant and win us a championship.

uh, Matt Barnes? And the spurs coulda had him fairly easily when he was looking for a job, but the spurs turned up their noses. So now we have Bogans 2.0, aka "the masterpiece".. lol

DesignatedT
10-27-2010, 12:14 PM

:tu

Blackjack
10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
He's too small to play four. There's no way Gee is over 6-4.

6' 5.25" w/o shoes; Anderson's 6' 4.75".

Gee's one of those guys that walks a bit flatfooted, almost heel first, and if you envisioned his joints (knees and whatnot) as shocks, they'd look to be a bit compressed (soft) when walking around. When you're measured you're forced to stand straight up, thus some people that walk and move a little more upright look taller than they are or taller than others.

But yeah, he's not a small ball 4. He's not built like a Bonzi Wells.

jjktkk
10-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I'll be interested in seeing how u feel about this statement when Matt Barnes is making him his personal bitch in those "few" 10-15 minutes a game.

uh, Matt Barnes? And the spurs coulda had him fairly easily when he was looking for a job, but the spurs turned up their noses. So now we have Bogans 2.0, aka "the masterpiece".. lol

Barnes has a reputation as a knucklehead, so take that for what its worth. Plus you actually think Barnes is gonna pass over a chance to play for his hometown Lakers to sign with the Spurs?

TD 21
10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Eh, everyone claims to know his height.

I tend not to believe anyone.

I can't say I know his exact height, but just seeing him around Parker and Hill, he wasn't much taller than them. Conversely, seeing him around Simmons and Anderson, he was noticeably smaller than them. The former two are 6-2 and the latter two are 6-6 (though Simmons looks more like 6-7) and Gee looks to be in between the two.

6' 5.25" w/o shoes; Anderson's 6' 4.75".

Gee's one of those guys that walks a bit flatfooted, almost heel first, and if you envisioned his joints (knees and whatnot) as shocks, they'd look to be a bit compressed (soft) when walking around. When you're measured you're forced to stand straight up, thus some people that walk and move a little more upright look taller than they are or taller than others.

But yeah, he's not a small ball 4. He's not built like a Bonzi Wells.

I'm not calling you a liar (I know, at least with Anderson, you got that from Draftexpress), but having watched those two near each other during a few stoppages in one of the games, Anderson was/is noticeably taller. Even if Gee didn't walk flatfooted, I doubt he'd shoot up roughly two inches (which appeared to be the differential).

Ultimately, I think, if he's to go from a fringe player to a full fledged NBA player, he's got to make it (particularly on this team) as more of a three than a two, like a guy like Evans.

Blackjack
10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Ultimately, I think, if he's to go from a fringe player to a full fledged NBA player, he's got to make it (particularly on this team) as more of a three than a two, like a guy like Evans.

Agree. He's a wing.

Edit: Gee's measurements came from DX as well. He actually measured 6' 6.5" in shoes, FWIW; Anderson was 6' 5.75".

TD 21
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Agree. He's a wing.

Edit: Gee's measurements came from DX as well. He actually measured 6' 6.5" in shoes, FWIW; Anderson was 6' 5.75".

I see. I haven't been to DX in a while and didn't recall them having Gee's measurements. I thought they just had him listed at 6'6''.

6'6.5'' in shoes. Wow. He must have had on some thick ass shoes, with insoles, too.