PDA

View Full Version : skip pick the Spurs

nbaman99
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Just now ESPN, Skip pick the Spurs to go against Lakers in the west finals and beat them, depend on Kobe's health.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
You guys know Skip only does that because ESPN hates the Spurs so much, right?

lefty
10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Just now ESPN, Skip pick the Spurs to go against Lakers in the west finals and beat them, depend on Kobe's help.

Trimble87
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
No he didn't. He said the Spurs were the second best team in the west but had no shot against the lakers unless the lakers faltered due to injury or whatever. His point was that the spurs were better then the thunder or the mavs etc.

nbaman99
10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
No he didn't. He said the Spurs were the second best team in the west but had no shot against the lakers unless the lakers faltered due to injury or whatever. His point was that the spurs were better then the thunder or the mavs etc.

yeah, did you read the part that said, depend on Kobe's health?

Stephen
10-26-2010, 12:45 PM
what a stupid pick

Bartleby
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Not too surprising. It seems like Skip often picks the Spurs, especially at the beginning of the season.

TwelveGs210
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
yeah, did you read the part that said, depend on Kobe's health?
ooooooooooooooooh.... you got punked by a mojo!

dunkman
10-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Those guys don't play bball (anymore). They just speak something semi-coherent on TV.

The last time those two teams played in playoffs, the Spurs lost against the Lakers in the WCF's in 2008. It ended 1:4, with the refs handing game 4 to the Lakers with the no-call against Barry to put an unsurmountable 1:3. It was closer than the final result.

The Lakers were without Bynum and Ariza. They made an improvement with Artest, Ariza was replaced this year by Barnes and they improved not by much at backup PG. They also added unknown second rounders for this season.

The Spurs had Bowen in his last productive year, Horry, Oberto, Finley and Barry on their last legs, Manu was playing injured. Since then the improvements are: RJ, Dice, Hill, Blair, Splitter, the first rounder Anderson and Simmons.

While the Spurs lost in 2008, since last season the Spurs built the roster to beat the Lakers and it also can't be said the Lakers have more talent as in 2008. With Splitter the Spurs are eliminating another Lakers advantage (size in the middle).

A mobile wing defender is still missing, but anyway Hill and Manu did well against Kobe during the 2009-2010 regular season.

10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
the spurs core has gotten pretty old and defense seems to have fallen off the priority list. The spurs have a long way to go before they can even compete with the lakers. It's way too early to even say that spurs will make it to the wcf.

duncan228
10-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Free NBA Futures Odds Picks – Who Will Meet Sure-Fire Lakers in Western Conference Finals? (http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/nba-basketball/props/nba-futures-picks-lakers-2010-10-26/)
by Eric Williams
betus.com

Lakers – Spurs +600

The Spurs were a huge disappointment last season, but I genuinely believe they will be much better this season as second-year forward DeJuan Blair and veteran swingman Richard Jefferson look to assert themselves a lot more than they did in their first season with the franchise a year ago. The addition of NBA-ready big man Tiago Splitter, along with increased minutes for the rebounding machine Blair, will go a long way toward keeping Tim Duncan fresher for the postseason.

Lakers – Thunder +350

Mavericks – Thunder +1800

Thunder – Trailblazers +2000

Nuggets – Jazz +3500

Analysis: My top two selections for the 2010-11 western conference finals are the Lakers versus the Thunder first, followed by the Lakers against the San Antonio Spurs.

I see absolutely no reason why the Oklahoma City Thunder should not be able to reach the conference finals if they remain committed to playing defense the way they did last season and play well in the frontcourt at power forward and center.

I also like San Antonio’s chances this season if they can get some good production out of Richard Jefferson, DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter first and foremost.

I also think the Mavericks, Rockets, Jazz – and last season’s conference finals participant, the Phoenix Suns, will all have nearly identical chances to reach the conference finals.

johnnySpurs
10-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Great.... Skip....

z0sa
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Umm cool I guess. The Spurs are a dark horse though, no use denying it.

Seventyniner
10-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd also pick the Spurs if Kobe's injured. What's so "out there" about that?

AlleyOopNazi
10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
that dude is so out of touch

Cane
10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd also pick the Spurs if Kobe's injured. What's so "out there" about that?

Same. Skip seems like he's been a Spurs fan anyway.

Lakers with an unhealthy Kobe will have one hell of a time trying to get out of the West.

Cessation
10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Thunder go from first round exit to wcf. LOL Can the hype get any bigger.

chazley
10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again... Thunder are not going anywhere until they get quality big men. In the past, they probably could have done some damage... but they are not talented enough at the 4 and 5 to compete with other contenders. I'm especially surprised that anyone would choose the Thunder over the Spurs, because Thunder/Spurs most likely will meet before WCF, and we simply are better than them in terms of talent/coaching/experience/size.

crc21209
10-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Skip is somewhat right though. Who else besides the Spurs could really take the Lakers out? The Mavs? The team who has regular season success but chokes in the Playoffs? The Thunder, who just might be a year or 2 away from truly contending...a piece away as well. The Suns, who lost a big piece of their team in Stoudemire. The Blazers, who are always a trendy pick but nothing ever becomes of it because of all their injuries. The Jazz, who lost D. Williams pick n roll buddy in Boozer. Point is, if anybody is ready and willing to step up to the Lakers, it would be the Spurs. The Spurs seem to have been the only team in the past decade with the balls to take it at the Lakers...

crc21209
10-26-2010, 09:35 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again... Thunder are not going anywhere until they get quality big men. In the past, they probably could have done some damage... but they are not talented enough at the 4 and 5 to compete with other contenders. I'm especially surprised that anyone would choose the Thunder over the Spurs, because Thunder/Spurs most likely will meet before WCF, and we simply are better than them in terms of talent/coaching/experience/size.

I think a big-man and a Small-Forward away, something about Jeff Green that I see that he doesnt have "IT" to get it done....

chazley
10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
The ONLY team who can win the West besides the Spurs/Lakers is the Blazers. Oden is a fantastic center if he is healthy, which obviously is a huge if. Lakers have struggled against the Blazers in the past.

mytespurs
10-27-2010, 12:53 AM

But the Thunder have Kevin Durant and are a younger team. They gave the Lakers fits in the playoffs though they lost that series. The pundits seem to think Thunder will be even better. All that makes them, in the eyes of many, the team that can challenge the Lakers.

Right now, its the Lakers and everyone else. I would put the Spurs in the middle of the pack at this point.

mytespurs
10-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Skip is somewhat right though. Who else besides the Spurs could really take the Lakers out? The Mavs? The team who has regular season success but chokes in the Playoffs? The Thunder, who just might be a year or 2 away from truly contending...a piece away as well. The Suns, who lost a big piece of their team in Stoudemire. The Blazers, who are always a trendy pick but nothing ever becomes of it because of all their injuries. The Jazz, who lost D. Williams pick n roll buddy in Boozer. Point is, if anybody is ready and willing to step up to the Lakers, it would be the Spurs. The Spurs seem to have been the only team in the past decade with the balls to take it at the Lakers...

I don't think the Spurs could take the Lakers out in a series right now.

crc21209
10-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't think the Spurs could take the Lakers out in a series right now.

In my opinion, I think the Spurs might be the only team that can take them out psychologically...while other teams might back down at the sight of Kobe and the "mighty" Lakers, the Spurs wont...

Sean Cagney
10-27-2010, 01:02 AM
But the Thunder have Kevin Durant and are a younger team. They gave the Lakers fits in the playoffs though they lost that series. The pundits seem to think Thunder will be even better. All that makes them, in the eyes of many, the team that can challenge the Lakers.

Right now, its the Lakers and everyone else. I would put the Spurs in the middle of the pack at this point.

This, right now 4 or 5 seed, iff they gel maybe higher! IF NOT they are #6 or so IMO! Spurs are very talented, but if they do not gel and have a year like last then it's #6 or so IMO! They COULD get AS HIGH AS #2, but that would take ALOT IMO!

UnWantedTheory
10-27-2010, 01:13 AM
The only team capable of taking out the Lakers is our Spurs in the WCF(unless the Thunder take a huge stride).....but it doesnt mean it is likely. We are still lacking. There are 3-4 top teams, and we are a smidge away from that in comparison to other teams IMO. But a smidge can make a hell of a difference. But if an injury or two occur, than who knows what could happen. We need to stay healthy, get big contributions from RJ & Spltter, and get real lucky.

TJastal
10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
The only team capable of taking out the Lakers is our Spurs in the WCF(unless the Thunder take a huge stride).....but it doesnt mean it is likely. We are still lacking. There are 3-4 top teams, and we are a smidge away from that in comparison to other teams IMO. But a smidge can make a hell of a difference. But if an injury or two occur, than who knows what could happen. We need to stay healthy, get big contributions from RJ & Spltter, and get real lucky.

Jazz have the best chance IMO of unseating the lakers, followed by the thunder, mavettes and spurs with a decent shot. Then you have the nuggets/blazers with an outside shot.

Harry Callahan
10-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Skip is a tool. He's just a contrairian (SP?).

dunkman
10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
For the Lakers to reach the finals for the fourth time it would be something without precedents, so I wouldn't call them favorites. Their franchise players, Kobe and Gasol are logging too many minutes. Their bigs aren't superior anymore, various other teams can compete and, if Bynum goes down again, the Lakers will struggle like in the 2008 finals. It's also already time for Artest to go crazy, it wasn't by coincidence that Mitch signed Barnes to backup him.

They have been static three seasons, that's a lot of time and the other teams have built their rosters to beat them.

Some Spurs fans are too pessimistic. Even when the media won't give us chances, the Spurs are a legit contender. The Spurs played the Lakers well last season, Pop criminally took the Suns too lightly last season, but the reports of P&R practices, the players they picked and signed and JV signing as assistant coach clearly indicate the Spurs are not going to repeat that mistake.

nkdlunch
10-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Lakers can coast and still get to the NBA finals. Let's face it, they have the best team in basketball and that is without Bynum and a crappy Kobe.

bring back a decent Bynum or Kobe get his game back and it's bye bye everyone else.

DJ Mbenga
10-27-2010, 11:35 AM
skip has been doing that the last 4 yrs

TJastal
10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Lakers can coast and still get to the NBA finals. Let's face it, they have the best team in basketball and that is without Bynum and a crappy Kobe.

bring back a decent Bynum or Kobe get his game back and it's bye bye everyone else.

The celtics can knock off anyone this year, they have the best point guard in the league, best coach, the big 3 and a better more experienced supporting cast this year.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Not unless TD discovers the foutain of youth and Splitter turns out to be a double double guy. Spurs did not do enough to address lack of size inside. It would have cost us 2 mil to grab shaq, who just put up 9pts 7boards and a block in 18 mins.....But we decided to give Bonner 16 mil, and start a 6-6 guy at center.

If the Lakers have major injury problems and if we can get home court we have a shot at getting to the WCF, but I see us as 6th in the west, and Boston would take us out for sure.

If the Celtics stay healthy they will win another ring.

You mean after all the burn Theo Ratliff got last year as a Spur?

Shaq looked about 40 pounds overweight. That was adrenaline and enthusiasm for his new team, which he always plays with. If it lasts the season I'll be very surprised. Pop wouldn't have even put him in the game if he were that out of shape for fear he'd have a fucking heart attack in the middle of the floor.

TJastal
10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
You mean after all the burn Theo Ratliff got last year as a Spur?

Shaq looked about 40 pounds overweight. That was adrenaline and enthusiasm for his new team, which he always plays with. If it lasts the season I'll be very surprised. Pop wouldn't have even put him in the game if he were that out of shape for fear he'd have a fucking heart attack in the middle of the floor.

Shaq will be very effective all year getting spoon fed by Rondo

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2010, 12:30 PM

mingus
10-27-2010, 12:37 PM
It'd b nice if the Spurs would pick up Dampier. I don't think size is that big a problem though; it's our wing defense.

mingus
10-27-2010, 12:44 PM
George Hill has all the tools. maybe he puts it together for SA this year on that end. if he's able to make an all-defensive team this year. Big if.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Shaq will be very effective all year getting spoon fed by Rondo

Shaq will be effective until the new wears off and Big Baby plays past him in the rotation. Also, there are no assist guys for Shaq in San Antonio.