PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi about Duncan

mathbzh
10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Here is a Mahinmi interview (in french) about how is Duncan.

Mahinmi about Duncan (http://www.basketusa.com/news/46913/document-ian-mahinmi-raconte-tim-duncan/)

I don't have much time to translate it now but I'll try to do it (unless a fellow french fan does it for me).

duncan228
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Translation thanks to Bruno in the Duncan Forum.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=3&pp=10&page=111

http://www.basketusa.com/news/46913/document-ian-mahinmi-raconte-tim-duncan/

It's an interview of Ian Mahinmi about Tim in French. Nothing outstanding but it shows what kind of teammate Tim is and how great he is. A quick translation:

Ian, tell us about your first meeting with Tim Duncan...
It was in NY during the 2005 Christmas holidays. I was drafted by Spurs in June but I've decided to stay in France. During French league Christmas break, Spurs invited me to join them. I met the team in NY to know them better and I saw Tim Duncan for the first time. It was just a friendly "hi", nothing more... the team then went back to SA. I traveled back to SA with the team but I didn't speak a lot with Tim even if I stayed 3 or 4 days with them. In fact, I was as much impressed by the player than by the man.

Before playing with SA, how do you considered him?
For me, he was the best PF ever. When I was drafted, I wasn't even 19 years old. I was with my little team in France. It was extraordinary to think that I could play one day alongside Tim Duncan. I had a poster of him in my bedroom. It wasn't an in-game poster but just him standing in a Spurs jersey with the ball in his hands.

Did you see him a lot off the court?
No, I didn't. Tim is homebody and family first. We also haven't the same age and so we don't have the same daily way of life. But in December, during a trip in Oakland to play against Golden State, we have a dinner with him, Tony and Ronny (Turiaf). He said to us this day "I'm with the French Connection". I saw him with his family 4 or 5 times a year when Spurs make a little party.

What is the main aspect of his personality?
He is someone complex... I would say that he is first very patient and very quiet. "Laidback" is the world they use in the USA to describe that. There are a lot to read in his glance but he isn't effusive. At first, it's difficult to fully understand him.

How is he in a bad day?
He stop to talk. He doesn't talk a lot every day, but, in a bad day, it's the full silence. He is then in his own world. You can see at him face that you better leave him alone. At the opposite, I saw him explode in a incredible manner after a three pointer against Phoenix during the playoffs. There are a lot of different aspects in Tim's personality and some are really unsuspected.

Is he generous?
I think he brings a lot to the SA community and, beyond that, to the whole NBA. He is some kind of ambassador wherever he goes. He is a player with a certain status, who has won a lot of titles and awards. He knows how to give back and he did with a naturally manner. He is also generous with the team. One evening, in Memphis, he ordered 30 sandwiches for the players and the staff because he wanted to let us taste what he considered as the best American sandwiches. When we asked him from where they come, he said they came from a store that was one hour away from Memphis. Tim is ready to do everything to please people.

Do you have the feeling he has some privilege in SA?
Yes, he has but it's logical. It's because of his star status. He has won everything with this team. It's logical that people are more tolerant towards him compared to another player. Saying that, TP and Manu have also some privileges like Tim. I think that it's because of the NBA business. In other franchise, it should be the same for all stars and franchise players. However, what I mainly saw was that Tim was never late for the practices, that he worked very hard and that he is always focused on what he is doing. His teammates can't be jealous because he is the first one to show the good example.

Is he a leader in the locker room?
He is a leader in his own way. He never screams but he sometimes talks. Contrary to what we can think, he talks a lot on the court. It's true that he talks less in the locker room where we hear more Tony and Manu after the coach speak. However, during some timeouts, Tim can say "listen to me" when he wants to put things back in place. He doesn't hesitate to speak before Pop in these case but he doesn't do it a lot.

What kind of advices did he give to you?
He told me "watch your personal fouls". He also said some specific hints on how an opponent played. For example, against Memphis, he told me that Zach Randolph was a lefty that always starts his drive to the basket with the same way. He told me how I had to defend to stop him. It was true technical advice that helped me to do a better job on Randolph in this game. During practices, he gave less advice because I mainly worked with the assistants coaches. During games, his advices were very useful for bigmen.

Has he stunned or surprised you with a play during a game?
With Tim, we are used to everything. Nothing he can do could surprise us anymore. The 3 pointer against Phoenix was unusual. Maybe it was because of that that he was so emotional after it.

He never really dunks. Did you tease him a little with that?
Yes, we did. We told him "a little dunk next time, Timmy?" But it's true that he has never really been an athlete for that kind of move. Dunking isn't his thing.

How is his relationship with the rest of the team?
You can feel that he is the player that has spent his whole career in SA. One can say he shined among all of us. He isn't the kind of player to create a separate clan among the team even if it's true he had a closest relationship with Tony, Manu and the coaches. They won it all together. It was the difference with players like me, George Hill, Dejuan Blair, Roger Mason... We have won nothing and we didn't have the experience of the "big three". There are no clans in SA. It's a family spirit with a great tradition that you feel very quickly when you join them. Tim speaks, laughs and has fun with everybody.

If you could change something about Tim...
Without an hesitation, his clothing style. While he is the best in basketball, it isn't the case in clothing. Colors, shapes, style, nothing is right (laughs).

What would you say to people who don't like Duncan?
Everyone has his tastes but he is still an awesome player at his spot. He won everything. Even if a team didn't win because of one player, there are a lot of reasons to think he is an awesome player. And I find he has something other superstars in the NBA don't have even if I don't know all of them: Timmy has stayed humble. He is truly humble for a player with all the successes he has had. For example, Paul Pierce isn't as humble as him. He talked a lot after his 2008 title with Boston, didn't he?

If you had to take somethign from Tim...
His fundamentals. I haven't seen a bigman with better ones. If you do a little mistake when you defend him, you're toasted. When you see his footwork, body control, you have the feeling it's natural. He has always done like that. It's his won style and you can't copy it. It's at the same time very complicated and very personal. It only belongs to Tim.

mathbzh
10-26-2010, 01:41 PM
sorry for the double post... I didn't look in the correct forum.

duncan228
10-26-2010, 01:43 PM
sorry for the double post... I didn't look in the correct forum.

Not a double post, it wasn't posted here. I was just offering Bruno's translation. :)

mathbzh
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Not a double post, it wasn't posted here. I was just offering Bruno's translation. :)

Leonard Curse
10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
wow i know it sounds lame but that actually gave me chills at the end. its almost like were talking about some alien being whos so dmn complicated hahaha haha well at least we know his wife has him in check

rjv
10-26-2010, 03:22 PM
He told me "watch your personal fouls".

so much for that advice. :lol

#2!
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I always like learning more about Tim.

Btw, why haven't I heard about these Tennessee sandwiches from the Sandwich Hunter..Or is it Sandwich Man? That Mexico City announcer confused me.

TwelveGs210
10-26-2010, 03:28 PM
so much for that advice. :lol

Lol, he watched em all right..watched em rack up quickly on the scoreboard.

duncan228
10-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Seems like a good opportunity for the beginning of the season plug.

For anyone who hasn't stopped by, there's lots of great stuff in the Duncan Forum, especially in the main thread. Hope to see you there. :)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7

phxspurfan
10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
He should have asked Duncan how to deal with minor ankle injuries.

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 04:15 PM
that was an awesome interview.

Rummpd
10-26-2010, 04:48 PM
i wish Ian well - he has some raw talent that was seemingly never was put to use by Pop - his rebounding rates per minutes played were off the charts. Last year he absolutely dominated part of one game, 15 and 9 in only 21 minutes, albeit against the Nets and that seemed to be his downfall. He is still under 25 and could still develop in a system less demanding than Pop's.

Brazil
10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Ian is a cool dude, I hope he will get lot of success for Dallas

Cane
10-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Solid stuff, props to Bruno for translating it.

ShoogarBear
10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
For example, Paul Pierce isn't as humble as him. He talked a lot after his 2008 title with Boston, didn't he?

:lol