PDA

View Full Version : The Spurscast Live - Season Preview

Blackjack
10-26-2010, 08:24 PM
The Spurscast Live - Season Preview
by Michael A. De Leon

Tuesday, 26 October 2010

We'll be going live tonight from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. CST for our season preview show. We'll have Richard Oliver and Tim Griffin of the San Antonio Express-News and Jared Wade of Eight Points, Nine Seconds joining us throughout the show. Feel free to call in when we don't have a guest on and participate in the live chat, which we'll open up at 6:30 p.m.

CALL-IN NUMBER: 210-787-3627

Listen here >>> (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/october/the-spurscast-live-season-preview.html)

Amuseddaysleeper
10-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Broadcast sounds great so far! Wish I had known about this sooner and I would've for sure called in :toast

Blackjack
10-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Broadcast sounds great so far! Wish I had known about this sooner and I would've for sure called in :toast

It's on until 10 CST, so you've got about 35 minutes if you'd like to call in.

The boys should be doing this pretty regularly, so I'll make sure to post it when they do from now on.

objective
10-27-2010, 03:12 AM
those guys usually sound like the less informed posters of this board. But despite that, I would listen to them as I'm as hardcore a Spurs and NBA fan as there is. Except I can't get past that one guy's voice.

It's the same reason I can't listen to the Buckscast. Sure, I'd like to waste time listening to hardcore Bucks talk almost as much as I would listen to some Spurs talk, but I can't take these nasally, lisping voices.

I listen to a ton of NBA podcasts, but when dudes sound like sniffling, speech impaired children it kills it for me. I'm sure they're great guys and it's not something they can control or be blamed for, but there it is.

chazley
10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
I'd love to do a podcast like this. Would be entertaining for sure.

Blackjack
10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Call in, objective.

I get how a voice or a particular personality can turn you off as a listener or viewer, but think about it this way: how many people are there that you interact with that have a voice for radio or would be someone you'd like to listen to carrying a tune or doing a one-man show?

Mike and Jeff are great people and they're as die-hard as they come -- and I can't tell you how much my respect has grown for them and what they've built over at Project Spurs since being offered a gig. They just officially got credentialed and I now know why and how: they really bust their ass.

So get involved, I guess is what I'm trying to say, and that goes for everyone. Don't look at them as pundits or outsiders, just fellow Spurs fans you can shoot the shit with and people that can actually get you closer to the players and game with their resources now.

Look at me, Blackjack, the company man, towing the company line. :downspin:

Seriously, give 'em a shot. And if it helps you any, just envision you're hearing someone like Mike Tyson giving you your Spurs fix. Who the hell would be against that?

Blackjack
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Here's the link to Part 1 of their podcast (http://projectspurs.com/podcasts/episodes/spurscast-227-season-preview-special-part-1.html).

objective
10-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Call in, objective.

I get how a voice or a particular personality can turn you off as a listener or viewer, but think about it this way: how many people are there that you interact with that have a voice for radio or would be someone you'd like to listen to carrying a tune or doing a one-man show?

Mike and Jeff are great people and they're as die-hard as they come -- and I can't tell you how much my respect has grown for them and what they've built over at Project Spurs since being offered a gig. They just officially got credentialed and I now know why and how: they really bust their ass.

So get involved, I guess is what I'm trying to say, and that goes for everyone. Don't look at them as pundits or outsiders, just fellow Spurs fans you can shoot the shit with and people that can actually get you closer to the players and game with their resources now.

Look at me, Blackjack, the company man, towing the company line. :downspin:

Seriously, give 'em a shot. And if it helps you any, just envision you're hearing someone like Mike Tyson giving you your Spurs fix. Who the hell would be against that?

Why should I call in when my voice is almost as bad as the man-child's? I sound like Seth Rogan doing a Homer Simpson impression, that shouldn't be forced on anyone. :lol

Secondly, I've listened to their podcast many times only to cut it off before finishing it, though the last 2 months or so I don't even bother listening. The voice is one thing, but these dudes sound as clueless as 90% of the board. It irks me beyond reason to hear Spurs enthusiasts gibber about not even knowing anything about Sanikidze and only mentioning him to guffaw and butcher his name. Not that I'm expecting them to know jack about Sanikidze or to have done any research or game watching to give any kind of informed opinion about his future, but when they sound as vapid as Mike Taylor then I will listen to them about as much as I listen to Taylor: as little as possible.

Sorry Blackjack. Maybe if they keep the guy who sounds like he's sucking on coughdrops in a producer role who only chimes in every once and a while the show will be listenable.

I've had their season preview mp3 on my player for a week now but have spent the time instead listening to Jazz, Knicks, Blazer, Thunder, Celtic, Raptor, Laker and general NBA podcasts instead. I feel that I can learn something listening to those, unlike with the Spurscast.

However, tonight before the game I will listen to the 48 MoH preview cast (theirs is usually decent) and after the game I will give the Spurscast a listen.

How it goes will reflect upon you. :lol

Blackjack
10-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey, I ain't gonna tell you how to feel or what to do (in actuality, that's exactly what I'm going to do but I'm gonna pull some mental messageboard jiu-jitsu right here) but keep in mind that they just got credentialed and the info, insight and quality of the show will progressively get better and better. Plus, they've got families to feed, we're talking three a piece (they could very well be in vitro enthusiasts of the Mormon variety), so think about the kids.

REAL TALK (not really but, again, it's jiu-jitsu and stuff).

I'm at the ready to reflect. :toast

mad0214
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM
@objective
I'm the guy you say is sucking on coughdrops and believe me, I hate my voice myself. Sadly I've realized at this point that I can't really change it. There's an app that'll make it sound like darth vader's, but I think the breathing might get a little more annoying than my actual voice is. I respect that you tried to listen to it and didn't like it. I've been doing this for over 5 years now and the one thing I've learned is that not everyone is going to like you even if you do work very hard to try to put out the best product you can and I'm fine with that. Hell Taylor is a guy that has broadcast experience and I don't like him much. There are certain ESPN personalities that I just can't stand and they are the supposed professionals, so I wouldn't expect anyone to like me. Everyone has their own opinion and they are entitled to it, so I won't waste my time trying to win you over because that was never the reason i started the Spurscast. It was because it was something i had fun with and a way I can get my voice and opinions out on the Spurs, and that's still the reason I do it today. I've been asked to speak on podcasting at conferences and I always joke that I'm the last person that should be podcasting and that I say "umm" and "you know" more than I knew was humanly possible, but that's just who I am.

As far as Sanikidze, you seem to be taking that a little personal. Just because we joke about him never coming over doesn't mean we don't have any knowledge about him. I've done more than enough homework on him and I can talk at length about him any day of the week, but it doesn't make any sense to do so because it doesn't really matter. As far as your take that we are clueless, again it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but if you read my posts and listen to more than just a small sample size of my podcasts or talked to me at any time, I'm sure you'd think otherwise.

I appreciate Nick doing this, but listen or don't, the choice is up to you. As long as I'm proud of the content I produce, that's really all that matters. I really do wish you'd call in though, because Seth Rogan doing a Homer Simpson impression talking about the Spurs would be some podcast gold. I'll even let you set the record straight on Sanikidze.