PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Pacers Previews

duncan228
10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Edit: Game is Wednesday, October 27, 7:30 CST. KENS 5 in San Antonio, League Pass has its free preview.

Hill perfect vs. Pacers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_perfect_vs_Pacers_105830253.html?showFullArti cle=y)
By Mike Monroe

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_perfect_vs_Pacers_105830253.html?showFullArti cle=y

Blackjack
10-26-2010, 08:50 PM
She's back!

Back in the saddle again . . .

:elephant

falconqb1234
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
what channel is it on?

ajballer4
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
:flag::flag::flag:

duncan228
10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
what channel is it on?

KENS 5 in San Antonio, 7:30 CST. League Pass is doing its free preview also.

Blackjack
10-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Indiana,

Feel free to leave Brandon Rush at the door.

Thanks,

'Jack

duncan228
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Wednesday: Pacers (0-0) at Spurs (0-0) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Wednesday_Spurs_0-0_at_Spurs_0-0_105832123.html?showFullArticle=y)
By Jeff McDonald

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Wednesday_Spurs_0-0_at_Spurs_0-0_105832123.html?showFullArticle=y

timtonymanu
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
It's great to see game previews again. Cant wait for the real season to start.

Solid D
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Key matchup

Center
Spurs: 45 DeJuan Blair (6-7, 2nd yr)
Pacers: 55 Roy Hibbert (7-2, 3rd yr)
Blair NBA’s shortest starting center; Hibbert second tallest behind Yao.

Of course, we all know that Blair is the PF after the introductions are done.
However, Hibbert has been a thorn in the Spurs' side. His length and shot blocking are something to be concerned about.

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Need to attack hibbert. Get him in foul trouble, after him there front court depth is pretty weak.

Dex
10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
She's back!

Back in the saddle again . . .

:elephant

:tu

Nathan89
10-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh we get the pacers on the season opener. YaY

duncan228
10-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Spurs approach opener with added urgency (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_approach_opener_with_added_urgency_105836223 .html?showFullArticle=y)
By Jeff McDonald

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_approach_opener_with_added_urgency_105836223 .html?showFullArticle=y

duncan228
10-27-2010, 12:06 AM
The national view.

Indiana (0-0) at San Antonio (0-0) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010102724)
TV: FSIN, KENS
Kickoff: 8:30 pm EDT Wed Oct 27, 2010
By Jeff Mezydlo

Three seasons removed from their last NBA title, the San Antonio Spurs and their aging stars might have time for one more championship run.

The Spurs began that quest Wednesday night when they look to continue their recent dominance of the visiting Indiana Pacers.

With 34-year-old Tim Duncan entering his 14th season, Manu Ginobili now 33, and Tony Parker in the final year of his contract, time might be running out for the veteran trio to lead San Antonio to its fifth NBA title.

Still, if they can stay healthy and get consistent contributions from others like Richard Jefferson and former European star Tiago Splitter, the Spurs could be serious contenders.

“We are probably not the No. 1 favorites,” Ginobili said. “But heading into the playoffs we can beat anybody. Nobody’s that much better than us.”

Last season, San Antonio lost six of its first 10 games and stumbled into the playoffs as the No. 7 seed in the Western Conference. After upsetting Dallas in six games, the Spurs got swept by Phoenix in the conference semifinals.

“I think we’re going to have a stronger start than last year,” said Ginobili, who averaged 21.4 points after the All-Star break to earn a three-year contract extension.

A strong start and sustained success could both hinge on whether Duncan bounces back after averaging career lows in minutes (31.3), scoring (17.9 points) and rebounds (10.1) in 78 games last season. The veteran big man has two seasons remaining on his contract.

Health could be the key for Parker, who averaged 16.0 points - his lowest in six seasons - while being limited to 56 games because of ankle, hip and finger injuries in 2009-10.

Parker, who has averaged 18.1 points in 17 career games versus Indiana, says he wants to remain with the Spurs, but the club is unlikely to immediately decide whether to offer an extension.

Jefferson looks to return to All-Star form after averaging a career-low 12.3 points losing his starting job at one point during his first season with San Antonio.

Opening with Indiana could help San Antonio get off to a solid start.

The Spurs have averaged 106.5 points during a six-game winning streak over the Pacers, who have been limited to 89.6 per game while losing eight in a row at San Antonio.

Indiana, which has won 20 total games away from home over the past two seasons - seventh-fewest in the NBA - has not beaten the Spurs on the road since Jan. 4, 2002.

While San Antonio hopes it’s poised for a run at the NBA championship, Indiana will try to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

The Pacers started 5-3 last season, but lost 10 of the next 11 and finished 32-50.

“Certainly, you’d love to get off to a good start but I believe this team will grow consistently throughout the year,” coach Jim O’Brien told the Pacers’ official website.

For that to happen, Indiana likely will need someone to step up and help star forward Danny Granger carry the load.

Granger has averaged 25.0 points over the last two seasons, but has not played more than 67 games in either. Granger, who could be ready to open the season Wednesday despite a sprained left ankle, has scored 58 points in his last two games versus San Antonio.

Third-year center Roy Hibbert the man to take some pressure off Granger. The 7-foot-2 former Georgetown star, who averaged 11.7 points and 5.7 boards last season, showed improvement this preseason by averaging 17.0 points and 8.7 rebounds.

“I just want to keep building and keep learning and get my conditioning up,” said Hibbert, who dropped 22 pounds over the summer and went from 14 percent body fat to 8.5. “I just want to keep working, keep building my wind so I can play 35 minutes a game.”

Seventyniner
10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Indiana, which has won 20 total games away from home over the past two seasons - seventh-fewest in the NBA - has not beaten the Spurs on the road since Jan. 4, 2002.

I think that was the last game I went to in the Alamodome. Got a $5 upper deck ticket and wandered around up there the whole game, messing with those weird banners they had strung up.

IIRC, Jermaine O'Neal killed us in that game. First time I ever saw a Spurs loss in person.

bdictjames
10-27-2010, 07:27 AM
It has been a while since we played a quite relatively weak team in the first game right? I always remember the Spurs playing high-profile opponents to open the season - I actually wish we played the Suns.

Leonard Curse
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM
yep it just shows how shitty they think we are.
:domokun BOOOOOOOOO

Rummpd
10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
A strong start and sustained success could both hinge on whether Duncan bounces back after averaging career lows in minutes (31.3), scoring (17.9 points) and rebounds (10.1) in 78 games last season. The veteran big man has two seasons remaining on his contract.

This is kind of idiotic statement - Pop purposely limited his minutes and his PER and rebounding and scoring rate were still top tier per minutes played -if Spurs get additive support from other players, i.e., Blair and Splitter which is very likely- Duncan only needs to concentrate more on defense again and if he keeps that scoring Spurs will be fine.

alchemist
10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Wasn't excited about this game until I saw Manu speak about the urgency they have this year, I want to see if they will cruise or just beat the shit out of teams.

BrianBird
10-27-2010, 09:30 AM
No tv for Austin uverse?

spurs_2108
10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Think this will be streaming somewhere? Hopefully since there is a fed out of fox sports Indiana we will have one. I know longer live in the spurs market... im in the houston marker.

shelshor
10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Wed. Oct 27
Indiana @ San Antonio: Dick Bavetta; Derrick Collins; Scott Wall

DisAsTerBot
10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
soooo, what's with the link's that keep redirecting to spurs lakers box score?

ajballer4
10-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Having the same problem. It's weird

nkdlunch
10-27-2010, 10:54 AM
dgranger33 tweet:
"san antonians are fat and smelly, don't they have light beer and soap up in mexico?"

mountainballer
10-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Indiana,

Feel free to leave Brandon Rush at the door.

Thanks,

'Jack

that's why we didn't hear anything about Rush during the last 10 days.
deal is done, but it was agreed to wait with the announcement till this game is history.
well, that's how it works in my treatment.

8FOR!3
10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Wasn't excited about this game until I saw Manu speak about the urgency they have this year, I want to see if they will cruise or just beat the shit out of teams.

Are you a Spurs fan? How can you not be excited about the first game this year? God I can't wait.

NickiRasgo
10-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Go Spurs! :D Make my day please . :)

Darkwaters
10-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I keep checking the TV but all they have on is Pakistani Cricket. WTF?

We seriously need to get the Afghans into Basketball!

TJastal
10-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I keep checking the TV but all they have on is Pakistani Cricket. WTF?

We seriously need to get the Afghans into Basketball!

seriously, no

alchemist
10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Are you a Spurs fan? How can you not be excited about the first game this year? God I can't wait.
the Pacers being the opponent dropped my level of interest. :lol

duncan228
10-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Indiana Pacers (0-0) at San Antonio Spurs (0-0), 8:30 p.m. (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/27/1894285/indiana-pacers-0-0-at-san-antonio.html)
By Sports Network

Another year older, the veteran San Antonio Spurs will begin the new 2010-11 season Wednesday night versus the Indiana Pacers from the AT&T Center.

Counted out for a few years now because of an aging roster and a head coach that may have lost his touch, the Spurs will once again have to earn the respect they once demanded over the past 13 years or so.

There's no telling what Gregg Popovich has in store for the 2010-11 campaign with his veteran-laden squad spearheaded by aging future Hall of Famer Tim Duncan. The soon-to-be 35-year-old Duncan has averaged more than 17 points and 10 rebounds every season since he was drafted No. 1 overall in 1997, and while his skills may be declining, he still serves as a legitimate threat.

During Duncan's tenure in San Antonio, the club has the best record in the NBA at 719-315 and four NBA championships (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007). It also owns six Southwest Division titles and extended its streak of 50-plus wins in a season to 11 with a 50-32 ledger in 2009-10. While the Spurs' upcoming demise is being chronicled throughout the country, the combination of Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker still brings experience and leadership.

Hampered with injuries all last season, San Antonio is running out of chances to win a title in the Duncan-era and haven't hoisted the trophy since 2007. With age becoming an issue, the Spurs are trying to find more prominent roles for the their younger players much like George Hill, DeJuan Blair and Spanish League MVP and rookie Tiago Splitter. Splitter has garnered much hype and could be the leader of San Antonio's next generation.

Playing in a wide-open Western Conference will make it easier for Popovich's chances of making another deep run into the playoffs. The seventh-seeded Spurs beat rival Dallas in six games in the opening round, then were swept in four games by Phoenix in the semifinals. Perhaps better performances from players such as Richard Jefferson would have reaped profitable results.

"We just do things a little differently, and Pop expects more from people," Duncan said on the team's site. "When your head gets out of the way and you're allowed to play your game, things are better."

A more productive Jefferson coupled with no health issues from San Antonio's core group (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker) will keep fans in the Alamo City satisfied and prepped for another playoff journey.

Indiana has missed the playoffs the last four years after setting camp in the postseason for nine straight years. It hopes the addition of talented point guard Darren Collison will spark the Pacers back to NBA relevance.

Collison was acquired by the Pacers back in August in a four-team blockbuster that saw five players change addresses. Indiana, which went 32-50 last season, got its new floor general along with veteran swingman James Posey, a defensive standout, by shipping power forward Troy Murphy to New Jersey, which in turn sent Courtney Lee to the Rockets, who finished the deal by shipping Trevor Ariza to the Big Easy.

The 23-year-old Collison served as the backup to Chris Paul in his rookie season with the Hornets and the starter when Paul went down with a knee injury. The UCLA product, a first-round pick in 2009, averaged 12.4 points and 5.7 assists in 76 games last year, including 37 starts and figures to slide in as the Pacers' starting point guard immediately.

President of basketball operations Larry Bird and the Pacers also cemented their immediate future in Indianapolis this offseason when the franchise and the city reached an agreement that will keep the team in Conseco Fieldhouse for at least three more seasons.

San Antonio won both meetings with Indiana in 2009-10 and has won six straight and nine of the last 10 matchups between the teams. Indiana has dropped eight in a row in the Alamo City.

duncan228
10-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Which link? They're all working okay for me.

boutons_deux
10-27-2010, 12:21 PM
d228 is amazing. scooper dooper!

Darkwaters
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
seriously, no

Actually they're big Volleyball fans. But they are seriously flexible with the rules and cheat constantly.

DisAsTerBot
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Which link? They're all working okay for me.

all the ones to mysa so far have taken me to the correct page but then quickly redirected to an old box score/gamesummary.....weird

duncan228
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
all the ones to mysa so far have taken me to the correct page but then quickly redirected to an old box score/gamesummary.....weird

I'm getting that now too, even from their Spurs home page. I assume they'll fix it sooner or later. :lol

duncan228
10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Gameday Q&A: Josh Dhani of Always Miller Time (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/october/gameday-qaa-josh-dhani-of-always-miller-time.html)
by Michael A. De Leon
Project Spurs

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/october/gameday-qaa-josh-dhani-of-always-miller-time.html

Bukefal
10-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Finally!!!!! Season is here!! Ive missed these threads.

GO SPURS!! :clap

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/3030943255_65ac635189.jpg?v=0

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/dembeatz/spurs_win.jpg

Spurs Brazil
10-27-2010, 02:23 PM
It'll finally start!!!

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

duncan228
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Just an FYI about the E-N links today. They've launched something new for Spurs coverage.

Introducing the launch of the E-N's new web venture SpursNation.com (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/). Same coverage you're used to from us, only more of it. Check it out.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/

DaBears
10-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Its goingto be fun to see the new faces and the old mixing it up.. Exciting stuff..
To bad Tiago Splitter will not be in on the fun..

Manufan909
10-27-2010, 03:36 PM

This is kind of idiotic statement - Pop purposely limited his minutes and his PER and rebounding and scoring rate were still top tier per minutes played -if Spurs get additive support from other players, i.e., Blair and Splitter which is very likely- Duncan only needs to concentrate more on defense again and if he keeps that scoring Spurs will be fine.

Indeed. Why do you have to bounce back after recording career lows in your last season, where you were older than ever before and played the fewest minutes?
That was even dumber than RJ returning to AS form cuz he just played his worst season. Some people are so optimistic they end up sounding like pure idiots.

Since only Manu and Blair (maybe TP too, considering it's his contract year) are sure to play urgently 24/7, lets wait to see if their passion is contagious this year.

Having said that, with a fully healthy big 3, RJ and Blair in their 2nd year, Hill in his third, and the imminent arrival of Tiago, it might be easier this year to go all out than last season. Especially compared to last season, when there were 4 new guys who got regular minutes, and this year it only looks to be 2, since Bobby and Alonzo will be the team leaders in DNPs. Not to mention the fact that Bogans, Finley, and Mason are all gone.:toast And it looks like Duncan will have serious backup, assuming Splitter and Blair can prove by June their the best duo alongside Timmy this century. Btw, what pair of bigs currently have that title? Nazr/Rasho maybe?

dgranger33 tweet:
"san antonians are fat and smelly, don't they have light beer and soap up in mexico?"

Classy guy.

Killakobe81
10-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Cool Blair dynamite!!! the pic of duncan is hilarious too ...nice touch.

I agree with what someone posted here spurs gettingteh Pacers is disrepectful. spurs should play suns, Blazers, Mavs someone their level opening night. I know they dont always get the TNT double header but they should at least get the BSPN one ...

Good luck spur fans the forum is abetter place when you guys slum with the rest and back your spurs. right now it's a cess pool of bandwagoners, trolls and Laker vs. heat smack. The forum needs you, it used to be about ball.

Mal
10-27-2010, 05:34 PM
KENS 5 in San Antonio, 7:30 CST. League Pass is doing its free preview also.

For whole game ? How to watch it ? nba.com account is enough ?

duncan228
10-27-2010, 05:52 PM
For whole game ? How to watch it ? nba.com account is enough ?

Your NBA.com account should be all you need. Click on the League Pass link in the upper right of NBA.com and that will bring you to where you can click for the free preview. It's good for TV and/or Broadband.