PDA

View Full Version : Men drive lost more than women says new study

JudynTX
10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
:wakeup

CHICAGO — I haven't heard this one on the news yet. Forgive me if you have. WGN-TV gets lots of stories but doesn't always have time to fit them all in, or go into depth.

Our readers, as they're called, are timed to last about 18 seconds, hardly enough time really know the story. So here's something you may or may not heard about. There are statistics, but memorize them and amaze your friends and family.

First we find through a study that women are better, safer drivers than men. Now a new study says men spend more time being lost than women when driving.

In fact men drive an extra 276 miles every year as a result of being lost.

But ladies, don't get cocky about it. You still get lost too, only about 20 miles less a year.

The study by Sheilas Wheel's, a car insurance firm, found that about one out of every four men wait at least half an hour before asking for directions and that one in ten never ask for help.

Breaking it down further, the research indicated about a third of male drivers would rather ask a woman than a man for directions. About a fourth WILL ask a man, although 41 percent pretended they knew where they were going even though they were lost. :lol

Three out of every four women on the other hand have no qualms at all asking for directions with 37 percent pulling over as soon as they realize they're lost, compared to 30 percent for men.

The capper is the study found an astounding 40 percent of men who did ask for directions didn't trust or follow the directions they were given.

Now as far as both genders are concerned, the study revealed age plays a difference in time spent lost while driving.

The 55-plus age group got lost 26 times a year, compared to those under 25 who despite having all that GPS technology, managed to get lost an average of 37 times a year.

Drivers in their mid-thirties are more likely to stop and ask for directions, taking about 15 minutes on average before stopping and asking for directions compared to the under 25-age group who will wait an average of 22 minutes to ask.

As far as the first statement is concerned that women are better drivers, the research found they are calmer and less distracted, whereas men let their tempers flare, especially in the summer when temperatures soar.

So guys, really there's nothing wrong with asking for directions.

Everyday as assignment editor I'm always giving directions to our photographers, most of whom are men. I've never seen them blush once.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-men-lost-driving-more-than-women-oct27,0,7304754.story

clambake
10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
we do it deliberately.

PM5K
10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Gps [/thread]

mrsmaalox
10-27-2010, 10:33 AM
The funniest/truest part is the not trusting the directions they are given---reminds me of my dad :lol

Gps [/thread]

Lately I've been hearing more and more complaints about the gps being wrong. Maybe that's just an excuse too.

desflood
10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
The funniest/truest part is the not trusting the directions they are given---reminds me of my dad :lol

Lately I've been hearing more and more complaints about the gps being wrong. Maybe that's just an excuse too.
That is just more of the "men not trusting the directions they are given". I've seen several men completely ignore gps directions, then grumble "that damn thing tried to get me lost" when they finally (accidentally) find the right way again.

BruceBowenFan
10-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Out of 60 destination that i have used gps on my phone, it has never failed me once. So when people say its wrong i dont believe them.

JudynTX
10-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Don't rely on mapquest either, their maps are out of date sometimes. :rolleyes

They also give you the longest directions possible., found that out going somewhere in Austin. :lol

resistanze
10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I've had google maps lead me in the middle of nowhere when trying to find a new mall.

Trainwreck2100
10-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Women don't drive lost they drive accident

Bender
10-27-2010, 11:17 AM
we never get lost, we just like taking the long way sometimes...

ashbeeigh
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
And make sure you update your GPS maps regularly. I bought my GPS sometime in August but it hadn't updated that Prue connected to Huebner yet. I was driving in a field for about half a mile.

I still use my GPS daily even though it takes me round about ways to places. Oh well.

coyotes_geek
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Using miles driven while lost seems like a poor metric to use. Men generally drive more miles total than women do. Guaranteed that if my wife and I are in a car together I'm the one driving. So naturally men are going to end up driving more miles while lost than women do.

to21
10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Men don't get lost.....just taking the longest route before we have to come home to you.

phyzik
10-27-2010, 02:21 PM
we do it deliberately.

This. Seriously.

phxspurfan
10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
40 percent of men who did ask for directions didn't trust or follow the directions they were given.

That's because most people who speak up don't know shit. So of course I trust my own senses than some other bufoon's

ALVAREZ6
10-27-2010, 02:53 PM
LOL funny study

Fortunately I never get lost 'cus I'm not a retard.