PDA

View Full Version : Are the Rockets' legit contenders in the Western Conference?

Ari Gold
10-27-2010, 01:21 PM
:wakeup

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
There's only one legit contender in the West..

Stephen
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
There's only one legit contender in the West..

the heat

Darrin
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
They could make the NBA Finals and not be contenders.

noob cake
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
no, Rockets is on pace to 0-82 lotto land.

We really need Harrison Barnes to replace Battier, or Kyrie Irving to upgrade Brooks. SF rotation is too weak. Starting PG can't pass, backup PG (both Lowry and Ish) can't shoot.

history2b
10-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Good team but not a contender.

They'd have to prove otherwise in the playoffs.

The Gemini Method
10-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I think it does all depend on the distraction that is Yao. Sticking with the 24 minute limit is great for his oft-injured body, but how long do they abide by that rule and what are the effects of this limit on the rhythm of the team itself? What I saw last night was a team that could be trouble if it were to stay healthy. You have two gunner in the backcourt with Martin and Brooks, but with Martin being often unable to stay healthy, that will be a question mark that lingers for the majority of the season. The defense wasn't all that great last year and that could continue to be an issue if the Rockets are going to rely on a recovering Yao. The Miller signing is insurance for the possibility that Ming re-injures himself or isn't able to carry a workload more than 24 hours in length. Also, if you take a look at the landscape of the Western Conference, there could also be some trades during the season that may free up a spot in the Playoff-8 such as Melo being moved east to the Knicks/Nets. Mere speculation as the season is in its embryotic stage.

VBM
10-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I have Houston behind the likes of OKC, San Antonio, and a healthy Portland (yeah, I know). I think they're in that Utah range of competing (although they match up much better against LA than Utah does).

noob cake
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I think it does all depend on the distraction that is Yao. Sticking with the 24 minute limit is great for his oft-injured body, but how long do they abide by that rule and what are the effects of this limit on the rhythm of the team itself? What I saw last night was a team that could be trouble if it were to stay healthy. You have two gunner in the backcourt with Martin and Brooks, but with Martin being often unable to stay healthy, that will be a question mark that lingers for the majority of the season. The defense wasn't all that great last year and that could continue to be an issue if the Rockets are going to rely on a recovering Yao. The Miller signing is insurance for the possibility that Ming re-injures himself or isn't able to carry a workload more than 24 hours in length. Also, if you take a look at the landscape of the Western Conference, there could also be some trades during the season that may free up a spot in the Playoff-8 such as Melo being moved east to the Knicks/Nets. Mere speculation as the season is in its embryotic stage.

This Kevin Martin is injury prone idea is terribly false.
1. Pulled groin
2. Severe ankle sprained
3. Broken wrist

I don't see any problems with his knee, fingers, or foot. They are chronic basketball injuries, all of Kevin's injuries have been isolated incidents basically. It is not as if broken wrists, sprained ankles, and a pulled groins happen all the time in the NBA. Kev Mart is just unlucky, hopefully his luck will change.

Giuseppe
10-27-2010, 01:46 PM
^He's an aggravating prick though

The Gemini Method
10-27-2010, 01:47 PM
1. Pulled groin
2. Severe ankle sprained
3. Broken wrist

I don't see any problems with his knee, fingers, or foot. They are chronic basketball injuries, all of Kevin's injuries have been isolated incidents basically. It is not as if broken wrists, sprained ankles, and a pulled groins happen all the time in the NBA. Kev Mart is just unlucky, hopefully his luck will change.

Isn't a broken wrist > than fingers? But I digress--I don't follow the Rockets closely. It just seemed he was out more often than he was in the line-up both in Sactown and Houston. If he does find better luch this year, then he'll definitely give defenses trouble because he can stretch the SG defender and slash in the lane.

hater
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
with the Glass Wall of China?

come on now :rolleyes

noob cake
10-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Isn't a broken wrist > than fingers? But I digress--I don't follow the Rockets closely. It just seemed he was out more often than he was in the line-up both in Sactown and Houston. If he does find better luch this year, then he'll definitely give defenses trouble because he can stretch the SG defender and slash in the lane.

By fingers I mean, arthritic fingers or severely damaged fingers (ala Kobe). Constantly inflamed and/or damaged ligaments is way worse than a accidental broken wrist.

z0sa
10-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Negative, no.

1) Kevin Martin needs to assert himself every night for this team to have even a small chance at the title. Last night, he did not.

2) Yao Ming's injury struggles are well documented. I'd like to see an entire season from him, including playoffs, before I ever put in a prediction again.

The Gemini Method
10-27-2010, 02:05 PM
By fingers I mean, arthritic fingers or severely damaged fingers (ala Kobe). Constantly inflamed and/or damaged ligaments is way worse than a accidental broken wrist.

Okay, so I get where you're coming from. However, it would seem the guy is slight of build and I'll gladly admit if I'm wrong, but I don't see him playing 82 straight + the playoffs without missing some time. That is something he has to avoid for the Rockets to be a playoff contender, which, is what I believe the Rockets are. They will be a tough team to beat though, that's for sure.

Muser
10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Nope.

Fabbs
10-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Missed the ending of the Lakers-Rockets game last night.
Already know what the Kobe Butt Sniffers fabrication of what happened will be. :lol

Non sniffers: Same usual b.s. reffing or was the final bucket and then defense actually earned?

I did see the pass to Blake for the three pointer. Was Kobme even trying to pass it to Blake or was that pass that went thru Lakers MVP Gasols hands an accident? :rollin

Giuseppe
10-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Frankly, looked to be to Gasol.

z0sa
10-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Pau was aware enough to know it was going to Blake tbh, he should get credit for that play as well

DaDakota
10-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Yep, and this thread will be funny late in the year as the Rox win the SW division going away.

DD

z0sa
10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Yep, and this thread will be funny late in the year as the Rox win the SW division going away.

DD

What would you consider "going away" ?

Tmac&Luther
10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
What would you consider "going away" ?

In this division, it probably be 5+ games.. ??? IDK, the division is tight and once again the Texas Triangle will be a eye sore on other team's schedules.

Xylus
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
The Rockets will get into the playoffs but fail to make it into the 2nd round.

4>0rings
10-27-2010, 05:22 PM
lol 7 rocket fans voting

Fabbs
10-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Pau was aware enough to know it was going to Blake tbh, he should get credit for that play as well
Not even. Gasol looked totally surprised and after it passed himself his look was like what he totally believed was a loose ball.

Guiseppe
Frankly, looked to be to Gasol.
Don't want to miss propping you for an intelligent comment.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I missed most of both games last night. It was just one game. My own feeling is the loss will fuel the Rockets. Let\'s see how they do in the near future.

noob cake
10-27-2010, 05:51 PM
We should have won except...

Brown and Blake hit like 5 straight 3pter against us during the last 5 minutes, and shot 7/9 from 3's during the second half.
Scola blew a whole bunch of layups :wakeup

Muser
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM
We should have won except...

Brown and Blake hit like 5 straight 3pter against us during the last 5 minutes, and shot 7/9 from 3's during the second half.
Scola blew a whole bunch of layups :wakeup

Did you forget about all those turnovers?

noob cake
10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Did you forget about all those turnovers?

That too

1. Yao Ming has no business making Brad Miller style passes.
2. Budinger needs to slow down and not get tripped by Odom
3. Scola had stone hands yesterday, couldn't catch, couldn't finish

spursfan1000
10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
It's too early to tell, but from what I have seen, they look to be solid.

sefant77
10-27-2010, 07:38 PM
1. Pulled groin
2. Severe ankle sprained
3. Broken wrist

Maybe because he is a tall skinny guy with barely no muscle frame for protection and his bread and butter is going to the rim? What also means hitting the floor all the time? And that it wont get better with the age, just worse? And that its a huge different if Iggy hits the floor or Martin?

And some guys in the league (even taller and heavier ones) are back after a week with a sprained ankle and Martin is always gone forever...

So...i hope you see my point...

noob cake
10-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe because he is a tall skinny guy with barely no muscle frame for protection and his bread and butter is going to the rim? What also means hitting the floor all the time? And that it wont get better with the age, just worse? And that its a huge different if Iggy hits the floor or Martin?

And some guys in the league (even taller and heavier ones) are back after a week with a sprained ankle and Martin is always gone forever...

So...i hope you see my point...

Muscle mass doesn't really prevent injury. His playing style however increase his injury risks.