PDA

View Full Version : Similarities between 2011 Rockets and 2002 Kings

PGDynasty24
10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
It's almost undeniable how they have set the team up. Don't take these comparisons literally but they do have similar abilities and roles.
Brooks/Bibby= Dangerously streaky 3 point shooters and both Laker killers
Christie/Battier= Good defensive players whose offense is pretty much limited to stand still 3 pointers
Scola/Webber= Great power forwards,but obviously c-web is a far superior player
Yao/Vlade=Great passing 7 footers who can do a lot on the court
K-Mart,Budinger/Peja,Hedo=Both are great scorers and all are very excellent outside shooters
Bench:Courtney Lee/Bobby Jackson=Both quick and speedy players who can bring energy
Brad Miller/Pollard=Both serviceable big men who aren't going to jump out but an play their role.
And they are obviously coached by none other than Rick Adelman

I think Rockets/Lakers can be very intriguing because Rockets have the 1 thing that kills the Lakers a speedy point guard and great outside shooting. Should be great series when both teams are healthy

Double-Up
10-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Kings had several go to guys and weren't as injury prone.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Scola is 10x more clutch than Webber tho, tbh

noob cake
10-27-2010, 01:47 PM
It's almost undeniable how they have set the team up. Don't take these comparisons literally but they do have similar abilities and roles.
Brooks/Bibby= Dangerously streaky 3 point shooters and both Laker killers
Christie/Battier= Good defensive players whose offense is pretty much limited to stand still 3 pointers
Scola/Webber= Great power forwards,but obviously c-web is a far superior player
Yao/Vlade=Great passing 7 footers who can do a lot on the court
K-Mart,Budinger/Peja,Hedo=Both are great scorers and all are very excellent outside shooters
Bench:Courtney Lee/Bobby Jackson=Both quick and speedy players who can bring energy
Brad Miller/Pollard=Both serviceable big men who aren't going to jump out but an play their role.
And they are obviously coached by none other than Rick Adelman

I think Rockets/Lakers can be very intriguing because Rockets have the 1 thing that kills the Lakers a speedy point guard and great outside shooting. Should be great series when both teams are healthy

...thank you Captain

Morey assembled a team that could function well in Adelman's offense

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Kings had several go to guys and weren't as injury prone.

tbh they only had one go-to-guy: Bibby
The rest of the team was chucking up airballs (Peja), hiding from the moment (Webber), or bouncing balls off the top of the backboard (Christie). Bibby was the only one on that team w/ any balls

Giuseppe
10-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Dubs, wearin' his.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!

lefty
10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Rick Adelman screwed up big time vs Lakers

Yao sucked big time, while Brad Miller was playing very well, but Adelman kept Yao during the Lakers' run

That reminded me of SVG playing Jammer Nelson in the 2009 NBA Finals

Or Adelman himself playing Stojakovic - who just came back from an injury in the 2002 WCF - while Turkoglu was playing well
Remember how Peja airballed that wide open 3 in game 7?

I love Adelman, great coach, but sometimes he goes senile

BUMP
10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Doug Christie was a little more of a playmaker and much better passer than Battier.

not to mention the douchebaggery was about 10X greater with the Kings.

Venti Quattro
10-28-2010, 10:56 AM
they both got beat by a clutch three pointer

lefty
10-28-2010, 10:59 AM
they both got beat by a clutch three pointer
Ouch...

BUMP
10-28-2010, 11:00 AM
oh yeah, one of them was a title contender while the other will be lucky to get the 8th seed

lefty
10-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Although I just criticized Adelman in my previous post, I still think that outside of Pop and Doc Rivers, he is the coach who does the best job against Phil jackson

Kings-Lakers 2002
Lakers-Rockets 2009

2010-2011 opener

BUMP
10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Although I just criticized Adelman in my previous post, I still think that outside of Pop and Doc Rivers, he is the coach who does the best job against Phil jackson

Kings-Lakers 2002
Lakers-Rockets 2009

2010-2011 opener

Larry Brown and Mike D'antoni have done way better against Jackson. Brown's Pistons dominated them in the Finals and his Bobcat teams usually beat the Lakers. D'antoni is 2-0 against him in the playoffs, albeit against a non-contending Lakers team, it's still better than Rick "I always play him close but lose everytime" Adelman.

lefty
10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Larry Brown and Mike D'antoni have done way better against Jackson. Brown's Pistons dominated them in the Finals and his Bobcat teams usually beat the Lakers. D'antoni is 2-0 against him in the playoffs, albeit against a non-contending Lakers team, it's still better than Rick "I always play him close but lose everytime" Adelman.
haha so true

SomeCallMeTim
10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
tbh they only had one go-to-guy: Bibby
The rest of the team was chucking up airballs (Peja), hiding from the moment (Webber), or bouncing balls off the top of the backboard (Christie). Bibby was the only one on that team w/ any balls

Exactly.

Aside from Bibby, I've never seen such an assembly of Shrinky-Dinks on a great team. They had so much talent and just didn't have quite enough guts.

SomeCallMeTim
10-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Yeah, if Phil Jackson has a daddy, his name is Larry Brown.

lefty
10-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Exactly.

Aside from Bibby, I've never seen such an assembly of Shrinky-Dinks on a great team. They had so much talent and just didn't have quite enough guts.
On top of that, they couldnt buy the refs like the Lakers did

monosylab1k
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
so far the only difference between the two teams is that the 02 Kings won games.

rockets
10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
The difference is that we are title contenders and the Kings weren't. We have two top 5 centers in the game right now in Yao Ming and Brad Miller. If Miller was on any other team he would be capable of dropping 25 and 10 per night.

Add that with the best perimeter defender in the game, the best scoring point guard in the game with Brooks, a top 5 player in the NBA (Martin), and the best 6th man in history with Courtney Lee. Not to mention we're easily the Southwest Division favorites.

:rolleyes but keep thinking we're the same 42-40 team from a year ago. It's ok guys.

noob cake
10-28-2010, 05:52 PM
The difference is that we are title contenders and the Kings weren't. We have two top 5 centers in the game right now in Yao Ming and Brad Miller. If Miller was on any other team he would be capable of dropping 25 and 10 per night.

Add that with the best perimeter defender in the game, the best scoring point guard in the game with Brooks, a top 5 player in the NBA (Martin), and the best 6th man in history with Courtney Lee. Not to mention we're easily the Southwest Division favorites.

:rolleyes but keep thinking we're the same 42-40 team from a year ago. It's ok guys.

No, we are a lotto team. 20-62 sounds about right