PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt not as much of a genius without a QB

duckz
10-27-2010, 02:26 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. -- We offer our condolences to the people of Arizona.

It turns out Ken Whisenhunt is human.

For three seasons, the Cardinals coach defied history, derision and market economics to turn one of the nation's worst professional franchises into a winner.

Max Hall is having an understandably rough time as a rookie starter. (Getty Images)
Max Hall is having an understandably rough time as a rookie starter. (Getty Images)
The Cardinals lost an epic Super Bowl to the Steelers, won two consecutive NFC West titles and electrified a fan base that normally requires high voltage shock treatment just to register a pulse.

But when the 2010 season dawned, Whisenhunt's wunderkind reputation starting taking hits.:lol :lol

First, he released quarterback Matt Leinart before the season started, insisting newly signed retread Derek Anderson meshed better with his teammates than the sulky SoCal southpaw.

When Anderson struggled in the season's first four games, Whisenhunt replaced him with undrafted rookie Max Hall, echoing, but not whole-heartedly endorsing, media reports that Hall's fire inspired his teammates.

Hall does play with passion, but at this stage of his career, he doesn't have the corresponding game. On a rainy Sunday in Seattle, Hall completed 4 of 16 passes for 36 yards and an interception:lol :lol as Arizona fell out of first place for the first time since Week 5 of the 2009 season with a 22-10 loss to the Seahawks.

Following the loss, Whisenhunt quickly named Hall the starter for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay, assuming he has no setbacks this week in practice after suffering a concussion in the third quarter at Qwest Field.

"We can't make too much of what happened [Sunday]," Whisenhunt said.

That didn't stop former Ravens coach and current Fox analyst Brian Billick from firing away.

"I've seen nothing in Max Hall over two games that leads me to believe he should be your starter," Billick said during Fox's telecast of the Cardinals' loss. "He's just not ready." :rollin:rollin:rollin

That's not a condemnation of Hall. He never should have been placed in this situation.

It's a condemnation of the coaching staff and general manager Rod Graves for putting the Cards in this predicament.

There's no guarantee Leinart would have been the answer, but who would you rather hand the reins of a team still in contention for a division title: a veteran who knows the system or an undrafted rookie?

The answer is obvious, but the truth is the Cards never expected to face this problem.

Forget contentions to the contrary. Nobody in this organization expected Kurt Warner to walk away from the final, $11.5 million year of his contract.

When he did, the Cards appeared so shell-shocked that they came up short in an offseason of other quarterback pursuits. They tried to deal for Chargers backup Charlie Whitehurst, a restricted free agent, but he went to the Seahawks instead.

Although Donovan McNabb was available via trade, the Cards never seriously considered that possibility. And when the Rams held off on releasing Marc Bulger until April, the Cards couldn't wait and signed Anderson to a two-year, $7.25 million deal that included a $2.5 million signing bonus.

In a blink, the Cards went from having the best quarterback situation in the NFC West to the worst.

It couldn't have come at a more inopportune time, because the NFC West is there for the taking. Despite owner John York's guarantee of a division title, the 49ers are dead and buried at 1-6. Sam Bradford shows remarkable poise for a rookie quarterback, but the Rams are still too young and inconsistent to make a serious run. And while the Seahawks are gaining confidence, their offense hasn't been able to match up with the Cards defense the past three seasons. At one point in the third quarter Sunday, Seattle had just over 100 yards of offense yet still led thanks to the ineffectiveness of Hall and some special-teams blunders.

But it's not just the division that's within easy reach. It's the entire conference. The Giants are the flavor du jour after four consecutive wins, but there are significant flaws with every team in the NFC.

That makes you wonder: Would Warner have retired had he known the road to the Super Bowl was a 10-lane, toll-free highway? How good would the Cards' chances look right now if No. 13 were still behind center?

After some early-season struggles that accompanied five new starters, the defense has rounded into shape with back-to-back solid performances against the Saints and Seahawks.

Except for a hiccup in Seattle, the Cards special teams have been excellent. if charger having cards special team they be undefeated. :rolleyes :rolleyes

Beanie Wells may get his first start at running back this week, and the receiving corps is finally healthy with the return of Steve Breaston and Early Doucet.

In the wide-open NFC, the Cards have a legitimate chance to repeat that improbable 2008-2009 Super Bowl run if they can just get competent quarterback play. But with the cast Whisenhunt, Graves and Co. have assembled, that may be too tall a task.

================

cardinal gottening ride of only qb experience with system and now they in trouble
warner is not favre he no coming back again
now Wesinhunt stucken with anderson and hes rated 60.2 AWFUL
meantime Leinart is hellthy and readying to go but has no use
ken keep getting slacks but he won NOTHING with card NOTHING

monosylab1k
10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
lololololol

the random ducks comment in the middle of an article is fucking perfect.

Dr. Gonzo
10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Name me one coach that is good without at least a competent QB.

Zelophehad
10-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The Billick comments really, really annoy the fuck out of me. Even if he's right. He thinks he's some kind of QB guru. His offenses sucked in Baltimore. I remember when he signed Grbac and people criticized him and then Elvis made one game winning throw; Billick was chirping in the press conference "what did I tell you?" and "I told you guys, I know quarterbacks" then Grbac sucked hard in the playoffs. Plus he gave Kyle fucking Boller like 900,000 chances. Anybody else but him can talk shit, he just got lucky being the OC when the Vikings landed Moss to go with Carter, Jake Reed, and Robert Smith. Tbh his most effective play that year was just to throw it up to Moss.

pawe
10-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Tough time to be a Cardinal fan right now since we have been spoiled by Kurt Warner for the past 3 yrs.
Fickle minded fans thought they've been having a winning tradition for the past decade the way they act and criticize the team.
Whiz fucked up the qb situation. He leaned on KW too much and actually thought he would stay another season before grooming the next QB.
It's hard to be a team in transition and at the same time is trying to defend the division crown and the playoff streak so I am still confident in Whiz's coaching since the Cards are 1 game away from 1st place despite having 0 offense and mediocre defense.
Cards will still win the division and I'm willing to bet on it.

ducks
10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
first place is stupid to think about it
I do not want them to get it
they lose in first game in playoffs anyhow

get a better pick

ducks
10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
the only good thing about making playoffs

it might keep larry happy

Zelophehad
10-27-2010, 11:15 PM
:lmao ducks posting seriously in a duckz thread

pawe
10-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Playoff hopes is the only good thing going for AZ. I want them to load up and think long term but fans here has the playoffs as their superbowl. They are even calling for Skelton to step up to the plate now. The games the Cards lost 'cept for ATL were winnable games, they just messed up their momentum by turning over the ball. When they go down early, they dont have the offense to catch up.
My only concern about this mess is Fitz might go to the Chiefs, he is a winner and is at the same time a stat guy and so far, he hasn't done shit. He has a clause in his contract that he cant be tagged and he chose the 4yr contract instead of 6yrs because he is not sure what the team's approach to the QB situation is after KW is gone.

pawe
11-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Cardinals insider Mike Jurecki had some interesting comments today. He claimed the following:

Ken Whisenhunt wanted Whitehurst bad, but management low balled Whitehurst and he took the Seattle job.
He pushed hard for 4-5 days to get Bulger but again "upper management" shut him down telling Whiz to make due with what he had (Leinart, DA, Skelton, & Hall).

If this is really true then I admire Whiz's professionalism. He kept quiet about the management's decision making and now his reputation is being bashed by the fans and the media because of the QB situation.