PDA

View Full Version : Blair in the starting lineup..

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I didn't like the idea when it was first reported, now I like it even less..I don't want to overreact after 1 game, but he's going to have to change his game up a little..

He looks for his shot too much..that won't work with Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and even Jefferson on the floor with him..he often forces up bad shots too..he's better suited on the bench in that regard..

His defense still looks horrible..with the Spurs horrible perimeter defense, they're going to need all the interior D/mobility from bigs that they can get..

Splitter is the only answer, his game better translate..

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Agreed, but I have faith in Splitter.

Manufan909
10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Yep, horrible game from Blair, too bad he couldn't keep the roll going from preseason. Hopefully tonight was an aberration, if his rookie year taught us anything it definitely was. But he still doesn't give his all on D, he needs to work on that.

HarlemHeat37
10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
It's not really about just having a bad game, I don't think he fits with the starting unit..

Blair is good enough to dominate other team's benches, he should be allowed to play his own game with Hill off the bench IMO..obviously he should still play with the 1st unit sometimes, particularly Manu, but he's better off coming off the bench IMO..

DesignatedT
10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
He definitely needs to stop looking to shoot every time they pass him the ball. When the big 3 is on the floor he needs to focus on rebounding and defense and let the offense just come to him.

That being said, that is a correctable mistake and I much rather have someone with that problem than someone who is scared to shoot. He'll be fine.

lovespurs forever
10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
!!!!

ElNono
10-27-2010, 10:25 PM
He's gonna have games like this, especially against shot blockers and rebounders like Hibbert. I wanna see how he does the next couple of games.

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I also think coaching asked him to play that way. It didn't work. Oh well.

peskypesky
10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
meh. first game of the season. give him a few more before you pull the plug. fucking Bonner got to start for how long?

Obstructed_View
10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd like to see them continue to allow him to do this for a while to see if he can settle in. He's a smart player, and may have just been too amped up. He played himself into bad positions tonight and challenged guys that he normally wouldn't. I've long said he's not undersized for his position, but if he's going to be challenging the trees like that, then he is.

peskypesky
10-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd like to see them continue to allow him to do this for a while to see if he can settle in. He's a smart player, and may have just been too amped up. He played himself into bad positions tonight and challenged guys that he normally wouldn't. I've long said he's not undersized for his position, but if he's going to be challenging the trees like that, then he is.

he's undersized, sure, but sometimes undersized players make up for it with other qualities. not that he's in their category, but 3 guys that come immediately to mind are Dave Cowens, Sir Charles and Wes Unseld.

jestersmash
10-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Blair has an odd looking quick release for his mid range jump shot. His core always looks crooked and it doesn't give me much confidence that his shot is going to go in.

I don't know what the actual stats are for his mid range jump shot, though. I doubt it's anything spectacular.

ducks
10-27-2010, 10:38 PM
I didn't like the idea when it was first reported, now I like it even less..I don't want to overreact after 1 game, but he's going to have to change his game up a little..

He looks for his shot too much..that won't work with Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and even Jefferson on the floor with him..he often forces up bad shots too..he's better suited on the bench in that regard..

His defense still looks horrible..with the Spurs horrible perimeter defense, they're going to need all the interior D/mobility from bigs that they can get..

heat looked worse in game one then spurs

Obstructed_View
10-27-2010, 10:39 PM
he's undersized, sure, but sometimes undersized players make up for it with other qualities. not that he's in their category, but 3 guys that come immediately to mind are Dave Cowens, Sir Charles and Wes Unseld.

Blair usually plays to his strengths which allows him to compete with bigger players. He didn't do that tonight and looked like a 6'6" guy trying to play center.

I don't expect him to continue playing that way.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Blair has an odd looking quick release for his mid range jump shot. His core always looks crooked and it doesn't give me much confidence that his shot is going to go in.

I don't know what the actual stats are for his mid range jump shot, though. I doubt it's anything spectacular.

Yeah, even that little one hander that he was getting good at looked bad tonight. I really think they should give him a dozen games or so to see how he settles in, unless Splitter comes in and just blows everyone away.

JustinJDW
10-27-2010, 10:43 PM
I've said this from the first day Blair stepped foot on a Spurs court. Blair's playing style is perfectly suited for a Bench. Its not that he can't start, because he can at times and he can do it well, its just that his energy, hustle for the boards and aggressive moves to the basket is perfect for a NBA Bench. Especially the Spurs Bench where we often need energy off it.

Tiago should start, and Blair should come off the Bench and provide energy. He's still gonna play a solid 20 or so minutes, but having a 6-7 guy start and go up against the other starting 7-foot big men of the NBA just isn't a good idea. Especially defense. His somewhat poor shot selection also shouldn't be on the floor along with Timmy, Manu and Tony. That's just the truth.

Start Splitter, and have Blair and Dice own the Bench along with Hill and Anderson. Along with the Manu or Tony that is usually playing with them. Its perfect.

It's not really about just having a bad game, I don't think he fits with the starting unit..

Blair is good enough to dominate other team's benches, he should be allowed to play his own game with Hill off the bench IMO..obviously he should still play with the 1st unit sometimes, particularly Manu, but he's better off coming off the bench IMO..This x1000.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I've said this from the first day Blair stepped foot on a Spurs court. Blair's playing style is perfectly suited for a Bench. Its not that he can't start, because he can at times and he can do it well, its just that his energy, hustle for the boards and aggressive moves to the basket is perfect for a NBA Bench. Especially the Spurs Bench where we often need energy off it.

Tiago should start, and Blair should come off the Bench and provide energy. He's still gonna play a solid 20 or so minutes, but having a 6-7 guy start and go up against the other starting 7-foot big men of the NBA just isn't a good idea. Especially defense. His somewhat poor shot selection also shouldn't be on the floor along with Timmy, Manu and Tony. That's just the truth.

Start Splitter, and have Blair and Dice own the Bench along with Hill and Anderson. Along with the Manu or Tony that is usually playing with them. Its perfect.

As mentioned, I hope Splitter steps in and makes that a no-brainer decision.

jestersmash
10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah, even that little one hander that he was getting good at looked bad tonight. I really think they should give him a dozen games or so to see how he settles in, unless Splitter comes in and just blows everyone away.

Blair has earned his keep as a starter for now, especially in the face of "new blood" in the likes of Splitter. I know Pop raves about George Hill a lot, but I get the feeling he has a soft spot for Blair as well.

Then again, Splitter's european run has been pretty impressive and I'd think he'd show more "veteran savvy" around the rim. It's really a tough call.

One thing I didn't like is the fact that Blair did not appear to have the same "hunger" for rebounds as he did when he was trying to prove himself. It almost seems as though now he feels like he's proven himself enough to Pop to justify not giving 110% when it comes to getting rebounds.

I agree with the OP when he says that Blair appears to be looking for his shot too much. Blair's first priority should be rebounding. Any points he gets should always be a bonus - and should hopefully come with exceptional efficiency (FG% > 50)

TJastal
10-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Blair has earned his keep as a starter for now, especially in the face of "new blood" in the likes of Splitter. I know Pop raves about George Hill a lot, but I get the feeling he has a soft spot for Blair as well.

Then again, Splitter's european run has been pretty impressive and I'd think he'd show more "veteran savvy" around the rim. It's really a tough call.

One thing I didn't like is the fact that Blair did not appear to have the same "hunger" for rebounds as he did when he was trying to prove himself. It almost seems as though now he feels like he's proven himself enough to Pop to justify not giving 110% when it comes to getting rebounds.

+1

I agree with the OP when he says that Blair appears to be looking for his shot too much. Blair's first priority should be rebounding. Any points he gets should always be a bonus - and should hopefully come with exceptional efficiency (FG% > 50)

Agree with this. He's not going to be pulled from the starting lineup anytime soon unless he royally fucks up. Splitter will have to prove himself first before being crowned the starting center job.

peskypesky
10-27-2010, 11:39 PM

this sounds great in theory, but i can't see Splitter being able to start for quite a while. the Spurs' system is not an easy one to learn, especially the defense, so it will take him a while. Pop is not very forgiving of mistakes.

i sure hope i'm wrong though and Splitter is starting in a few months.

peskypesky
10-27-2010, 11:42 PM

i think its possible the coaching staff wanted him to look for his shot more than usual, this being the Pacers, and the coaches wanting to see how Blair's offensive game might have improved after a summer of working on it.

i would bet they give him a long leash for a while, but if he continues to underwhelm, the leash will be tightened.

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2010, 11:48 PM
this sounds great in theory, but i can't see Splitter being able to start for quite a while. the Spurs' system is not an easy one to learn, especially the defense, so it will take him a while. Pop is not very forgiving of mistakes.

i sure hope i'm wrong though and Splitter is starting in a few months.

Normally I'd agree with you, but Pop doesn't have many options, currently.

angelbelow
10-27-2010, 11:56 PM
There were a few things i liked from him tonight, his ability to draw fouls is a plus and his seemingly new found confidence at the free throw line compounds that ability.

But I thought he looked gased after a few minutes in the 1st quarter. His energy level wasnt very high and perhaps that was a problem. Regardless i think its too early to tell whats going to happen but im looking forward to the next few games.

TD 21
10-28-2010, 12:54 AM

I did like the idea, at least to start the season, while Splitter get's acclimated. I saw it as a means to limit McDyess' minutes, even give him the odd game off and obviously Bonner shouldn't be under consideration to start, so that left Blair.

But ultimately, like you said, Splitter has to become the starter. McDyess could, but then there's the issue of having a Splitter-Blair pairing off the bench, which would hurt the Spurs spacing. Pop could go with that and play mad scientist with the rotation, so as to avoid having the two of them playing together, but it'll take a lot of subbing and then there's the issue of guys not getting into a rhythm. Too much of a headache.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
The spacing was poor with the Duncan-Blair lineup IMO..both Parker and Ginobili had multiple drives to the basket that were heavily contested due to both Duncan and Blair being under the basket, giving them no option to pass, and a much tougher shot than usual..

The defensive issues are still there..Duncan is no longer good enough to make up for his frontcourt mate's weaknesses on D..Blair played decent 1 on 1 D against West at times, but his team D is still too poor to justify being in the starting lineup..

McDyess is a much better fit, but like TD said, his minutes need to be limited..with Bonner being out again, Splitter has a realistic shot at taking the starting spot early in the season, which wasn't expected..the spacing might still be an issue with Splitter, but the defense should be much better, even though he might struggle with fouls early on in the season..

timtonymanu
10-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Blair is crap so far. Splitter, please be the true starting center we need.

Spurs Brazil
10-30-2010, 09:58 PM
The spacing was poor with the Duncan-Blair lineup IMO..both Parker and Ginobili had multiple drives to the basket that were heavily contested due to both Duncan and Blair being under the basket, giving them no option to pass, and a much tougher shot than usual..

The defensive issues are still there..Duncan is no longer good enough to make up for his frontcourt mate's weaknesses on D..Blair played decent 1 on 1 D against West at times, but his team D is still too poor to justify being in the starting lineup..

McDyess is a much better fit, but like TD said, his minutes need to be limited..with Bonner being out again, Splitter has a realistic shot at taking the starting spot early in the season, which wasn't expected..the spacing might still be an issue with Splitter, but the defense will be much better..

Agree 100%

dbestpro
10-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Blair needs to focus on the things he does well and quit trying to do things he does not do well. He needs to be more like Rodman and less like Rose (after the big contract). I also think he takes too many plays off. For what we need from him he needs to have his motor going constantly. I would also like to see him provide some hard fouls for those who would drive. Lastly, I really, really, really, do not like the smile that ensues after a bad play. I would like to see a more serious player who gets angy at himself when playing poorly.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2010, 10:11 PM
I agree..

His shot selection has been really annoying so far..

We heard so much about how he improved his game, that's nice and all, but he's going away from the things he does well, like dbestpro said..he's trying too hard to take defenders off the dribble, he's not using his body as much anymore, he's not using his strength, he's shooting too many jump shots..he's playing way too much of a finesse game..I understand he's going to need that against taller/bigger players, and that's nice to have, but he can't be playing like that against everybody..he needs to go back to playing his own game..

I also agree about the smiling, even though complaining about that seems kind of unfair..he lacks a killer instinct..

tuncaboylu
10-31-2010, 01:54 AM
He started just 2 games, be patient.
See how RJ improved and how long time cost for this. Wait Blair to find his rhytym, he will get experience and be fine game by game

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Is it still too early?..

Halberto
11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Then you must be asking for McDyess, because Splitter looks just as sloppy

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Splitter looks fine, he's a much better fit for the starting lineup..I don't expect it to happen, it's too early, but Blair has to be sent to the bench ASAP..

EricB
11-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I disagree I thought he looked better tonight.

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2010, 12:29 AM
So, is it time for a change yet?..the answer should clearly be yes IMO..

Blair was -14 tonight, the only significant negative on the team..his defense was a huge liability, as usual..

arakkus
11-11-2010, 12:36 AM
agreed the +/- definately shows who the liability is in this case not to mention watching the games and they just drive it into him.

Splitter on the other hand had 3 blocks, offensive boards, got a charge called, and got to the line. I say give the guy a chance soon.

Cessation
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
blair will only get better in the starting unit if he grows another couple of inches, good luck with that, at this point hes not skilled enough to overcome his lack of height for the center position, he belongs on the bench, bring in splitter hes ready

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Spurs record is great but I think it's time for a change.

Blair as a starter is not working. His D is terrible, late on rotations and a lot of bad decisions on O.

Blair was the beast last season when he came off the bench and provided great energy.

It's time to start Dice or Tiago

SpursDynasty85
12-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I thought blair would have a break out season, but I guess it was too much for such a young and undersized forward. He'll be a good energy guy off the bench for now. Tiago,Bonner,Duncan, and Dyess are all older and more importantly better than him right now.

TDMVPDPOY
12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
blair is horrible as a starter when his game is not on, his a liability also on defense when the opponent is bigger then him

Cessation
12-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Blair has gotten better since the start of the season, but he's not the answer against elite front courts. At this point, he's not skilled enough to overcome his height dissadvantage.

Spurs Brazil
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
OK Pop, that's enough

Blair as a starter is a BIG FAIL

Put him on the bench and try Tiago or Dice

timtonymanu
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately we really don't have any other options.

Splitter is too lost and is pretty soft. Bonner only plays better on the bench. McDyess is the most realistic and best option but Pop is saving him for the playoffs it seems.

Spurs Brazil
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
With Dice/TD combo tonight in the 4th the Pacers only scored at the FT line. I know the best thing is get Dice ready for the playoffs but start him and play 23-25 minutes a game won't hurt

ElNono
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately we really don't have any other options.

Splitter is too lost and is pretty soft. Bonner only plays better on the bench. McDyess is the most realistic and best option but Pop is saving him for the playoffs it seems.

Define better? Plus he gets starter minutes.

Arc
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
dice has been making a lot of bonehead mistakes though. don't want. i'd rather see splitter and duncan play together. twin towers plus guaranteed splitter minutes... a boy can dream.

objective
Starting Splitter is the way to go. This is January, no better time than to give him the chance to get with it.

If he's garbage by the all-star break, you still have McDyess or Blair to start.

That being said, Blair would be better off the bench no matter what. His game is better against tired starters and bench players.

timtonymanu
It would make sense to start McDyess now to get him in rhythm.

I don't think the Spurs should start Blair anymore. He's too inconsistent to be a starter. He's even more cringe worthy than Bonner was as a starter and that's scary.

Cant_Be_Faded

He's more and more like Malik with every passing hour.

timtonymanu
01-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Define better? Plus he gets starter minutes.

I remember he would always shrivel up when he started. But then again that was two seasons ago so I'm talking out of my ass right now. IMO, I would prefer Bonner over Blair in the starting lineup.

ElNono
01-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I remember he would always shrivel up when he started. But then again that was two seasons ago so I'm talking out of my ass right now. IMO, I would prefer Bonner over Blair in the starting lineup.

Hansbrough prefers Bonner too.

I prefer neither, tbh

01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
as much as i do not like blair in the starting lineup, who are the spurs going to replace him with? pop has got splitter nailed to the bench, mcdyess is conserving his minutes, and seeing bonner start will incur more forum meltdowns. spurs are thoroughly fucked when it comes to their interior players because splitter's development is going too slow and the spurs don't have another big capable of plugging the paint.

mystargtr34
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
When Tiago plays with Parker and Manu he becomes a legitimate NBA scoring threat.. plus his defense obviously speaks for itself...

People like to shit on Splitter for his offensive game when he is out there with Chris Quinn Gary Neal and Ime Udoka :lol... its amazing.

ElNono
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
as much as i do not like blair in the starting lineup, who are the spurs going to replace him with? pop has got splitter nailed to the bench, mcdyess is conserving his minutes, and seeing bonner start will incur more forum meltdowns. spurs are thoroughly fucked when it comes to their interior players because splitter's development is going too slow and the spurs don't have another big capable of plugging the paint.

What development? Splitter being where he's at is the Spurs own doing.

timtonymanu
01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Hansbrough prefers Bonner too.

I prefer neither, tbh

So do I. But if I had to choose between the two, I would pick Bonner.

McDyess needs to start now or at least by the ASB.

Muser
I'm pretty sure Chris Quinn, Gary Neal and Ime Udoka don't make Splitter put up pussy shots at the rim.

ElNono
I think it's safe to say he's getting the Oberto treatment... (Splitter)

8FOR!3
When Tiago plays with Parker and Manu he becomes a legitimate NBA scoring threat.. plus his defense obviously speaks for itself...

People like to shit on Splitter for his offensive game when he is out there with Chris Quinn Gary Neal and Ime Udoka :lol... its amazing.

Luckily we will never have to witness that again. At least for now...:lol

Capt Bringdown
01-07-2011, 09:54 PM
As much as Splitter gets tagged as soft, lost etc, Blair seems to be just as bad. Despite the occasional good game, it's 4 on 5 out there for the most part.
Perhaps you could make a case for one starting over the other, but in general it'd be nice to see us exploit a potential height mismatch now and then, instead of invariably playing the small ball card.
Pop's not playing Splitter this year, I think that's settled.

L.I.T
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
The Laker's game not withstanding, Blair absolutely cannot consistently play against long, explosive and athletic frontcourts at this point. He just gets overwhelmed. Same thing against big, strong front courts that just pound on you (like the Celtics).

mystargtr34
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Chris Quinn, Gary Neal and Ime Udoka don't make Splitter put up pussy shots at the rim.

Im pretty sure Splitter has made more defensive rotations in one of his 3 minute cameos than Blair has for the entire season.

timtonymanu
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I would love to see Splitter get a try, but he's too out of the rotation at this point that it may mess up with what has been working lately. Then again, it looks like our rotation has been bad lately so who knows.

objective
01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
spurs are thoroughly fucked when it comes to their interior players because splitter's development is going too slow and the spurs don't have another big capable of plugging the paint.

the only reason Splitter's development is slow is because the Spurs are making it slow.

Pop's not playing Splitter this year, I think that's settled.

then it's settled that they aren't title contenders this year if that's the case.

We've seen the Bonner/Blair/McDyess dog and pony show before, and we know how it ends.

Muser
I could make more defensive roations than Blair tbh.

Cessation
I told you at start of the season Blair has a below average iq, even by nba standards. Its not enough to overcome his size deficiency. Its pretty obvious now, even the biggest blair homers can't argue. It will be tough for him to overachieve with that height and bbiq, he's just relying on his physical gifts at this point, but with his knees it won't last long. His ceiling isn't as high as some think, tbh.

Muser
01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
The one thing Blair has going for him is he has great hands. He's poked so many balls loose. Come playoffs TD/McDyess start with Blair off the bench.

01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
splitter has shown flashes but is nowhere consistent enough to warrant heavy minutes. i think he can play 5-10 minutes at least but you guys are overrating him too much. you guys really don't think pop wants a mobile defensive anchor out there?? splitter is obviously doing something wrong in practice.

mystargtr34
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I could make more defensive roations than Blair tbh.

Agree.

urunobili
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
tRASH,,,

ElNono
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Blair is severely inconsistent. I'll take his average production if he would consistently bring it (about 7 points, 7 boards). But he's all over. He can put up a double double one night, then disappear completely the next game.
Defensively, Blair and Bonner is a wash. That's why it's unbelievable they actually play together for stretches.

objective
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
splitter has shown flashes but is nowhere consistent enough to warrant heavy minutes. i think he can play 5-10 minutes at least but you guys are overrating him too much. you guys really don't think pop wants a mobile defensive anchor out there?? splitter is obviously doing something wrong in practice.

How can he be consistent when he doesn't play? If he never plays, he'll never be ready this season.

and re: what Pop wants, who knows? Pop is the same guy who benched Hill in the playoffs for Mason and Vaughn. He declared that the playoffs weren't for George. He only started playing him when the series was basically over.

ElNono
01-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Give him 10 mins a game. Let him get his feet wet. This DNP-CD shit is BS.

Capt Bringdown
01-07-2011, 10:08 PM
then it's settled that they aren't title contenders this year if that's the case.

We've seen the Bonner/Blair/McDyess dog and pony show before, and we know how it ends.

Do you have any confidence that Pop's going to suddenly change course regarding Splitter? The die has been cast.

Maybe Splitter's not ready, but we'll never know. However, I agree that it's an ironclad certainty that Blair/Bonner/McMummy aren't good enough for a serious playoff run. Enjoy the regular season, because that's as good as it gets.

ohmwrecker
01-07-2011, 10:30 PM
This whole conversation is Mahinmiesque.

ElNono
01-07-2011, 10:35 PM
This whole conversation is Mahinmiesque.

Well, Splitter is certainly eligible to go to the Toros...

200 miles
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Do you have any confidence that Pop's going to suddenly change course regarding Splitter? The die has been cast.

Maybe Splitter's not ready, but we'll never know. However, I agree that it's an ironclad certainty that Blair/Bonner/McMummy aren't good enough for a serious playoff run. Enjoy the regular season, because that's as good as it gets.

If that's sadly the case, then I'll just go ahead and say "Thank you Pop for another wasted season and another productive year from Duncan's soon-to-be-shut window".

HarlemHeat37
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
While I've said it before and I agree with mystar, Splitter will obviously be better with Parker/Ginobili out there..however, I don't even care for his offensive production at this point..

Splitter has already shown that he's a competent defender that understands how to make rotations..I'll take consistent D over Blair's non-existent D and extremely inconsistent offense..

Yes, we all said this about Mahinmi and Hairston before too..there's a big difference here though..this isn't an unproven D-League player, this is a proven player in Europe that was hyped and coveted by the Spurs front office for a long time..like objective said, you don't get better without PT..

Also, do the Spurs even have scrimmages?..I remember last year, there was a report that mentioned that they don't even scrimmage, so I don't really know how he would "earn" minutes..Pop has a history of not playing guys based on "earned minutes"..

Capt Bringdown
01-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I'd rather have us gamble on at least trying to develop Splitter this year than not. The DNP-CD's are just silly IMO.
We can give Splitter some run and still develop Blair, what's the downside?
I suppose that the worse case scenario would be that giving Splitter 10 minutes a night is a disaster, and the we reel off a string of loses...at which point, what's to prevent us to changing course?

HarlemHeat37
01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Meh, there's not much logic behind it IMO..like objective said, this is December and January we're talking about, it's not the playoffs..there's not much of a risk here..

The Spurs don't lose much when Blair and Bonner aren't playing big minutes..

The Truth #6
01-07-2011, 11:36 PM
A month ago I thought there was still time for Splitter to get a chance so I gave Pop the benefit of the doubt because it seemed like he was more open to a different approach this year. But stubborn Pop has made it clear what's in store for Splitter...not much.

I think people are over rating Splitter so far but he should still get minutes to see what he can do. With the team's confidence down for the general moment, I can't see Bonner somehow stepping up to save the day. He's already passing up shots again. Splitter needs to get some playing time.

Cessation
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
You're telling me splitter can't get blairs number of 7 and 6, while getting set up by starters and playing 20 minutes a game? Come on.

objective
01-08-2011, 12:04 AM
There's no good excuses to sit Splitter anymore.

Not even the "he missed training camp!" excuse. Or the "look at all their wins, if it ain't broke!..." one. They are struggling and there's no hurt to shake it up a little.

It's not like he was in Brazil, he was actually at the camp, he just wasn't playing.

He was the MVP and title winner of the second best league in the world and has shown in the few minutes he was gifted that he was at least useful defensively. It's not like he's Oberto who was behind a starter with a ring (Nazr) while also undersized and already over-the-hill athletically.

And Blair off the bench could do wonders for him. His energy against back-ups and non-fresh starters will start to cover up for his defensive lapses.

DMC
01-08-2011, 12:07 AM
It could just be the rotation is too difficult. It makes you wonder if Pop has considered trading one of the bigs including Splitter, and maybe that's why he's not being developed. I would think you would want to showcase his talent if you were putting him on the block.

Then again, we might see him non stop after the ASG.

It would be nice if some of the contenders never got much of a chance to see him in action until the playoffs, but that's fairytale shit.

200 miles
01-08-2011, 12:20 AM
There's no good excuses to sit Splitter anymore.

Not even the "he missed training camp!" excuse. Or the "look at all their wins, if it ain't broke!..." one. They are struggling and there's no hurt to shake it up a little.

It's not like he was in Brazil, he was actually at the camp, he just wasn't playing.

He was the MVP and title winner of the second best league in the world and has shown in the few minutes he was gifted that he was at least useful defensively. It's not like he's Oberto who was behind a starter with a ring (Nazr) while also undersized and already over-the-hill athletically.

And Blair off the bench could do wonders for him. His energy against back-ups and non-fresh starters will start to cover up for his defensive lapses.

That would simply be music to my ears.

If only you can just get Pop to listen to that tune by means of doing to Pop what Billy Madison did to that fat kid involving the subject of going to high school. :lol

The Truth #6
01-08-2011, 01:19 AM
You're telling me splitter can't get blairs number of 7 and 6, while getting set up by starters and playing 20 minutes a game? Come on.

Are you responding to me?

Cessation
01-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Are you responding to me?

No, I'm just saying, to no one in particular.

jjktkk
01-08-2011, 01:54 AM
a month ago i thought there was still time for splitter to get a chance so i gave pop the benefit of the doubt because it seemed like he was more open to a different approach this year. But stubborn pop has made it clear what's in store for splitter...not much.

I think people are over rating splitter so far but he should still get minutes to see what he can do. With the team's confidence down for the general moment, i can't see bonner somehow stepping up to save the day. He's already passing up shots again. Splitter needs to get some playing time.

+1

jjktkk
01-08-2011, 01:59 AM
I thought by now, Splitter would be at least getting 5-10 minutes a game. So much for thinking.

MinuteByMinuteSports
01-08-2011, 05:10 AM
This has been an on-going discussion on our "React" shows after every game.

As said in this thread and by many fans, Splitter is never going to learn if he does not play. Practices are not enough.

Pop has made it clear that he does not trust Splitter. Timmy needs help in the post, Splitter is that help, but Pop won't play him.

If Dyess plays next to timmy we have a small chance in the playoffs...

temujin
01-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Blair got totally destroyed by this kid last night. I could have done a better job on Handsborough.
Hit lateral mobility is just atrocious, which is explaiened by his size and the lack of ACLs. It's not something that is going to improve with time.
Blair is young and should come in for 10-15', get rebounds, set picks, share the ball and score only on put backs.
That's it. He would still be good for the money he is getting.

I said this from the very fist minute of this season.
Spurs are winning nothing with Blair and Bonner playing the bigs for significant minutes.

Now Splitter gets no playing time whatsoever.
$3 millions for watching: when that ever happened as a Spur???
Pop doesn't have confidence in him?
He is soft?
Doesn't know the system (whatever that means)?
Doesn't commit a foul with 6'' on a Nugget?
He is brazilian?

No problem.

Just trade him, he's got some value; and get a phyical presence inside.

Josepatches_
01-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I think people are over rating Splitter so far but he should still get minutes to see what he can do.

Overrated? Maybe if you believe he will be all star in his first year.But he's a very good center.

I saw him a lot of years in Spain.He was at least as good as Marc Gasol was.So tell me if Gasol is enough good to play over Bonner,Dice or 2010-2011 Blair.

Of course he's better than the best Oberto who was our starter center.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Tiago Splitter can't hold Oberto's jock at the moment. If he could he'd be playing. Yeah, I WISH he was Oberto right now but he's no where near that. Oberto didn't force shit in the post every chance he got and took just as many charges as Tiago.

Oberto >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tiago at this time.

Leetonidas
01-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Spurs need to trade for Marcin Gortat. Dice for him straight up, Dice gets bought out and comes back 30 days later.

Cessation
01-08-2011, 11:56 AM
If blair is getting owned by scrubs like hansborough, we really have some problems. In the playoffs he'll be glued to the bench(after we get behind in the first quarter), once the laker and mav big frontcourts turn up the intensity.

Cessation
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I bet Splitter is wishing he stayed in europe, lol.

Dex
01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
The chances of Splitter getting developed this season are becoming slimmer and slimmer.

If Pop were going to give the guy a chance, it would be happening right now. He's not going to wait until March or April to throw him out there.

With Anderson coming back in the fold, he'll already be hard pressed to adjust the rotation to fit James back in, and I sincerely doubt he goes for a complete roster overhaul after the All Star Break to incorporate two rookies.

Better get used to the Blair/Bonner front courts, because those are probably the wheels we'll be taking to the big dance.

Fireball
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
In the playoffs Antonio McDyess belongs into the starting lineup, because his defense is far superior to Blair's ... I agree that Splitter will not see much playing time this season unless there are injuries.

Cessation
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
If bonner/blair are sucking and Splitter still can't get any minutes, you know, he's not part of this years run.