PDA

View Full Version : **James Anderson Watch**

AussieFanKurt
10-27-2010, 10:58 PM
I didn't see the game but he was our highest drafted player and managed 10 points in his debut. How'd he actually look. Comfortable?

TimmehC
10-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Not any more comfortable than he looked in preseason. Tentative, but he made his shots for the most part.

admiralsnackbar
10-27-2010, 11:04 PM
His shots could have fallen or missed -- that's just outside shooting -- and his man-on-man D was better than I expected. Where he betrayed his youth was in not watching the ball and knowing where it was in relation to him and his team-mates. Doesn't get the team ethic at the Spurs level yet. Looks promising, though.

Bender
10-27-2010, 11:08 PM
a couple of his 3s were waaay off

smrattler
10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
a couple of his 3s were waaay off

I thought mot of his shots looked really good. His second shot (a 3 point try) looked about what mine might looked like if I got to hoist one up in the NBA, like firing out of a cannon. Maybe one other one that looked similar.

But, overall, his stroke was nice (that's what she said) for a first game rookie. His D looked Ok too. I was surprised how athletic he looked, must just be not used to seeing young legs on the wings anymore. :lol

8FOR!3
10-27-2010, 11:22 PM
His man on man defense was outstanding, Danny Granger just hit some shots that your average man just doesn't make.

androck
10-27-2010, 11:22 PM
He played most of the game alongside TP and Hill as a SF which is not his natural position. 0 rebounds is not good and 4 fouls was too many (though no surprise for a rookie) but his shot selection was great. He only had 1 turnover which was the key to winning this game. If the Spurs can't hold the opposition below 50% from the field, the team has to win the turnover battle and they definitely did tonight.

angelbelow
10-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Most of his shots were wide open, so i think its a good sign that he made them while maintaining a good shooting percentage.

pjjrfan
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
he looked smooth on some of his shots, tentative at times, got confused a couple of times but he showed potential and he played with confidence, like he belongs, hopefully he does.

crc21209
10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I thought he looked very solid for being a rookie on opening night. Hit a couple 3's and was VERY active on defense...

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Sounds promising. Not much negativity so thats good.

hater
10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
he looked good.

Simmons, Blair and Bonner, not so much.

TwelveGs210
10-28-2010, 09:15 AM
He looked good. He's not gonna force any shots, he is aware he is no longer the first option. He impressed me with the fact he WILL shoot the ball when he is supposed too, however as a previous poster stated, a couple of those three balls were well off the mark. It was NOT because of his technique, it was because the passes he caught were slightly off the mark, and he was not able to shoot in rythm in his normal shooting motion.

His athleticism was definitely on display, he showed his jumping ability on an inbound steal while he was guarding the man who was inbounding, James showed his reflexes and intercepted the pass, he just wasn't able to stop it from going out of bounds. He attempted to block a layup from behind and showed he can get up to block shots, and he had a nice athletic layup where he had to adjust mid-air, which lead to a "you can't coach that type of play" comment from Sean. Just wait, he is going to blossom into a star. I also like his size, he is still young and he already has a good amount of "bulk" to him. Love the fact that pop went to him early, his first sub came late in the 1st quarter. Glad to see Pop is going to try and work him into the lineup early, as soon as he shows what he can do, watch him start to eat some of Jeffersons minutes at SF.

Chieflion
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
He got more minutes due to RJ's foul trouble and proved he could fit in hitting some of his shots. He could step up more given the chance. I look forward to his next game.

Mrlunt925
10-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Like everyone else has said, he looked pretty good. His shot is beautiful except for those couple of clunkers.

I think it was Sean who said on offense he's used to being the #1 guy for his team and getting all the double teams and pressure, so a few times he was surprised to be so open and have so much space that he kind froze for a second. So he's just got to get a few games under his belt.

rjv
10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
not a bad first game for a rook at all.

Whisky Dog
10-28-2010, 10:21 AM
This kid, Hill, and Blair are going to have to be our bench producers once Splitter is acclimated and hopefully takes over starting center/forward. Dice can give nice defense and a few points here and there, and Bonner is garbage so those three have to produce off the bench about what they did tonight.

Hooks
10-28-2010, 10:48 AM
He looked pretty darn good out there, I can't wait until he finally gets into shape, it should be just a few more weeks until he finally does. Anderson played defense very well against Granger, he forced him to take some tough shots. I think one stat said Granger scored most of his points in the 1st half but when James came in he held him to like 4 points in a quarter while guarding him.

He's a SG but it looks like he should be able to play the SF position as well.

bigdog
10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I won't say he played a great game, but he made some shots and played some decent D for a while. A shot or two were bricks, but I'd say he did alright for his first NBA game.

lefty
10-28-2010, 11:16 AM
There was a play late in the 4th where he didnt take an open 3

I didnt like that

Rummpd
10-28-2010, 11:37 AM
His style and demeanor reminds me of a young Sean Elliott and his upside down the line may be as high - now if he can only learn to make that 3 pointer while almost falling out of bounds at the buzzer shot the Spurs will be fine!

texbumTHElife
10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
He has the most silky smooth jump shot I think I have ever seen from a Spur. It is not Ray Allen smooth, but it is pretty damn close. Even when he misses it looks great leaving his hands. Hopefully we found that consistent outside threat finally.

mookie2001
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
he looked impressive out there, hesitant- not really besides one three he didnt pull the trigger on. he looked big and strong, he has great size but as was reported, hes not a great athlete (nowhere near sean elliott) what i like most about him is hes deliberate, not like udoka, bonner deliberate, the good kind of deliberate, you can tell he knows his position on the floor

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Roy?

duncan228
10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
James Anderson makes his NBA debut (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

The San Antonio Spurs don’t have much depth at small forward. Amongst the Western Conference’s playoff contenders, strong wing play is a staple. The Lakers boast Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, and Matt Barnes. Oklahoma City can use Thabo Sefolosha in place of Kevin Durant. When the game is on the line, the Blazers have their pick between Nico Batum and Brandon Roy.

The Spurs have Richard Jefferson, whom, you’ll recall, played horribly last season.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/james-anderson-makes-his-nba-debut#more-10508)

Old School 44
10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Looked good, nice stroke, but a little tentative. There were a few open shots he passed up, but I think that's to be expected for a rookie. Defense was decent. I was impressed that he didn't let Granger's hot shooting get him down.

MarCowMar
10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
If Pop is willing to let a rookie play 27 minutes in his first game that says more than anything I can write.

TJastal
10-28-2010, 12:41 PM
If Pop is willing to let a rookie play 27 minutes in his first game that says more than anything I can write.

Doesn't really have a choice, unless you consider Bobby Simmons a choice.

EricB
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM

If he's good and busts his ass, then he will play.

Bruno
10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
At the beginning of last season, Spurs had Hill, Ginobili, Jefferson, Mason, Bogans and Finley at SG/SF. Even after a good training camp, Hairston didn't get a real opportunity at the start of the season to show what he was worth because of that depth.

This year, Spurs are thin at SG/SF. Anderson has a golden opportunity to get significant playing time and learn how to play in NBA.

Even if Spurs are taking risks with that lack of depth, I like that move. It's better to try to develop a young player with some upside than having a bunch of limited vets. Having these limited vets makes sense when you are a true contender but Spurs aren't and they need to make some gamble like with Anderson and Splitter if they want to be back in serious contention.

TJastal
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
At the beginning of last season, Spurs had Hill, Ginobili, Jefferson, Mason, Bogans and Finley at SG/SF. Even after a good training camp, Hairston didn't get a real opportunity at the start of the season to show what he was worth because of that depth.

This year, Spurs are thin at SG/SF. Anderson has a golden opportunity to get significant playing time and learn how to play in NBA.

Even if Spurs are taking risks with that lack of depth, I like that move. It's better to try to develop a young player with some upside than having a bunch of limited vets. Having these limited vets makes sense when you are a true contender but Spurs aren't and they need to make some gamble like with Anderson and Splitter if they want to be back in serious contention.

God I just love reading the convoluted logic popologists come up with to justifty the F.O. moves. :lol

If I just sad around and praised every F.O. decision could I make 1st team all spurstalk? 2nd team maybe?

jb4g
10-28-2010, 01:17 PM
For his first game with little preseason work, I was impressed. He's has a natural stroke, and hes going to get plenty of looks. Once he gets a few games under his belt and understands where his shots will come from he will shine. He was better than advertised on D, really committed himself to slowing down Grainger in the 2nd half. He also hit a tough athletic shot across the lane, cant recall if it was off a kickout or a head fake, but again just a very natural athletic finish. He could definately be a player for us.

duncan228
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Rookie James Anderson swears Danny Granger wasn't talking trash to him last night. Those of us courtside heard otherwise.

ace3g
10-28-2010, 02:48 PM
He must have been doing something right on the court defensively, if he got Granger to start trash talking

Spurs Brazil
10-28-2010, 02:51 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
soy_eloy @JMcDonald_SAEN I heard the trash talking from the 23rd row!
about 1 hour ago via ÜberTwitter in reply to JMcDonald_SAEN

@varner48MoH Mr. Granger seemed to be of the opinion that the rook couldn't guard him and shouldn't try. Maybe he was right. He had 26.

Torontonio Rapspurs
10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
after the 3rd quarter, I picked up Anderson for my dynasty team
hitting a couple 3's and getting 27 minutes from Pop in his first game sealed the deal :flag:

lefty
10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

@varner48MoH Mr. Granger seemed to be of the opinion that the rook couldn't guard him and shouldn't try. Maybe he was right. He had 26.
Great

We won

Baseline
10-28-2010, 03:01 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Scoreboard, Mr. Granger.

EricB
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
God I just love reading the convoluted logic popologists come up with to justifty the F.O. moves. :lol

If I just sad around and praised every F.O. decision could I make 1st team all spurstalk? 2nd team maybe?

She talks about giving Anderson playing time and your babbling about how horrible the FO is?

WTF?

Obstructed_View
10-28-2010, 03:46 PM

You'd probably be better off trying to add something to the conversation. Lack of depth is probably the only reason Anderson isn't buried on the bench. Those of us that wanted to see him play should all be glad Mason, Bogans and Finley aren't here anymore.

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Sounding promising. Hopefully Splitter provides just as much and more in his debut

TJastal
10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
You'd probably be better off trying to add something to the conversation. Lack of depth is probably the only reason Anderson isn't buried on the bench. Those of us that wanted to see him play should all be glad Mason, Bogans and Finley aren't here anymore.

I didn't object to Anderson playing, heck I'm glad the kid got the chance he deserves, unlike Hairston.

I just found it humorous that somebody actually felt the need to go and justify it with the whole "spurs aren't contenders anymore so Pop smart to give a rook a chance" spiel.

duncan228
10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Relaxed rookie: Anderson’s early jitters subsided after extended playing time (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/10/28/relaxed-rookie-andersons-early-jitters-subsided-after-playing/)
by Tim Griffin

...“It did a lot for my confidence, defending a guy like Granger,” Anderson said.

...“After the game, I realized that I had finally played my first NBA game,” Anderson said. “My dream is fully accomplished. I’m just going to continue to work and become a better player.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/10/28/relaxed-rookie-andersons-early-jitters-subsided-after-playing/

AlleyOopNazi
10-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Keeping his shooting strength into the 2nd half will be tough b/c Pop wants him to remain aggressive on D. I love what I am seeing out of Anderson when he was asked to defend Grainger on a night where he and Hibbert were feeling it on the O side. I would like to see the insertion of Gary Neal to combat offensive shooting struggles, last night shooting and struggling weren't in sentences together. Forcing the Pacers to 23 turnovers is sign of good D, they just shot well.
GO SPURS GO

EricB
10-28-2010, 06:46 PM
I didn't object to Anderson playing, heck I'm glad the kid got the chance he deserves, unlike Hairston.

I just found it humorous that somebody actually felt the need to go and justify it with the whole "spurs aren't contenders anymore so Pop smart to give a rook a chance" spiel.

Uh he could've rolled Temple, or Simmons out there instead....

BackHome
10-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I liked Anderson though I think his condition is not near where it needs to be. The kid needs to loose about ten pounds and though he will have to play SF he would be much better in his natural role of SG.

The issue with Blair being short is a concern with some teams but thank god we have Splitter. Being that Splitter hasn't played a whole NBA season I think Blair will still get alot of minutes and they will be slow with Splitter.

Jefferson had a very good game all you can against from him.

Simmons what can you say but the dude just sucks......I saw him take two three pointers and I felt sorry for the guy because neither came close to the rim.......heck not even close to hitting anything. We need to get another SF ......FAST

Tony, Timmy, Manu all had great games.!

ulosturedge
10-28-2010, 09:07 PM
JA shoots with a lot of confidence in his stroke. That I did notice. The less he has to think out there and the more he just reacts and lets the ball fly the better. He did well to keep up with Granger on defense as well. He did look lost at times and indecisive. But that was to be expected. He also isn't much of a dribbler, but he has time to improve on it. But overall for a rookie in his first game I think he showed a lot of potential. He never looked overwhelmed and I get the under lieing feeling that he feels like he belongs in the NBA. That he knows he has something to offer even if it might just be pure shooting. And if that's any hint of his mental makeup then I think we have somethin good on our hands. :toast Here's to hoping for more good things to come from this kid.

timtonymanu
10-28-2010, 11:27 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Granger looking more and more like a douche every time i see a post about him.

duncan228
10-28-2010, 11:44 PM
:lol

No startled deer, Spurs' Anderson produces (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/no_startled_deer_spurs_anderson_produces_106277783 .html)
By Mike Monroe

As for Duncan's “deer in the headlights” characterization of his first few minutes on the court, Anderson took solace in teammate George Hill's recollection of his own NBA initiation two years ago.

“I was the deer that got run over by the car,” Hill said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/no_startled_deer_spurs_anderson_produces_106277783 .html?showFullArticle=y

DesignatedT
10-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Granger is a douchebag.

AFBlue
10-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I didn't see the game but he was our highest drafted player and managed 10 points in his debut. How'd he actually look. Comfortable?

You can watch on NBA League Pass Broadband...free until the first.

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2010, 01:22 AM
You can watch on NBA League Pass Broadband...free until the first.

thanks for heads up.

jjktkk
10-29-2010, 04:22 AM

Wll let me break it down to you wanna be NBA GM. Sure the Spurs FO have relied too much on veteran players , like Finley, Udoka, Bogans, etc... These vets were signed cheap though, and once the FO realized these guys were done, they shipped em out. Pop has in the past preferred veterean players, and the results speak for themselves. But if you noticed, the past couple of seasons, the Spurs have got quite a bit younger, with the additions of Hill, Blair, Splitter, and Anderson, not to mention Temple, and Neal. The Spurs are doing a admirable job of rebuilding on the fly, while trying to keep their championship window open and sourround the big 3 with quality role players.

analyzed
10-29-2010, 05:01 AM
For me his defense was the most impressive aspect of his debut.

From mysanantionio.com:
Anderson's defensive assignment was Pacers scoring star Danny Granger. With Jefferson picking up his fourth foul 39 seconds into the season half, Anderson logged 16 minutes and 17 seconds of the second half. He helped limit Granger to seven second-half points after he torched the Spurs for 19 in the first 24 minutes