PDA

View Full Version : All trolling aside

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Tonight, after the Spurs game, I went with 2 of my buddies to Taco Bell for $2 meal deals (#1, for those interested, with a Pepsi).

Anyways, we spent 30 minutes in my friend's car discussing this topic, this is not a troll idea from any other website that I know of (other one with the lifting/magnet were :lol)

Anyways, a few things would have to hold true for this to work, I have no clue if these things would work, so if any of these things can be disproven, the entire theory falls apart.

1. A rope, or metal pole, wraps around the earth with ZERO parts of the rope/pole that are loose. If this rope was long enough that it eventually became a circle would it be possible for it to be in the air a few feet above the ground, since it is completely tight and therefore isn't touching the floor?

2. There are 365 days in a year. One light year is how far light travels in one year. Is there such thing as 1 light day (which would be 1/365th of the light year)?

3. What I am saying next is not possible in reality, however, in theory it would be. If somehow it was possible to put one light year's worth of metal pipe/rope around the earth in length. Sitting down on one point of the pole.

At the end of one day, would you be traveling the speed of light because in relation to where you started, you are in the same exact spot at the end of 24 hours (1 day)? Would you be traveling faster than the speed of light (speed of light + rotation speed of earth for that one day) BECAUSE you have not moved?

I am honestly so hyper right now, I can't wrap my head around this, my friends thought I was fucking around but if these 3 things hold true, and at the end of one day, you are at the same spot on the pole as you started...you would have to be traveling at the speed of light, or faster than it, in order to stay in the same spot while the earth rotates "under" you.

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm on ventrilo with my friend right now, and he said that it might make sense if the metal rod thing was one side of a magnet, and there was a magnetic strip underneath the entire metal rod around the earth that repels it keeping it afloat. I swear to god, no lies, this is what he just said to me.

4>0rings
10-28-2010, 01:22 AM
http://laist.com/attachments/la_anti/weedreview2.jpg

The Reckoning
10-28-2010, 02:20 AM
ahh i remember high school when i thought everything i could make up was possible.

then you get older and realize how much you don't know and that theres a relative explanation against anything you can think of. it kind of sucks.

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2010, 02:28 AM
this is fail man

whats the distannce of 1 light year travel?

compared that to the diameter of the earth...that alone wont cover the distance it takes to travel the distance the speed of light can cover...

and no how is the rope going to stay a few feet up in the air if there is no force of a push and pull....

koriwhat
10-28-2010, 09:26 AM
http://laist.com/attachments/la_anti/weedreview2.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 09:48 AM
1. A rope, or metal pole, wraps around the earth with ZERO parts of the rope/pole that are loose. If this rope was long enough that it eventually became a circle would it be possible for it to be in the air a few feet above the ground, since it is completely tight and therefore isn't touching the floor?

The weight of the material would crush itself.

2. There are 365 days in a year. One light year is how far light travels in one year. Is there such thing as 1 light day (which would be 1/365th of the light year)?

Yes, but it's rarely referenced in Astronomy because even light years are considered short distances when you are talking about the entire universe.

At the end of one day, would you be traveling the speed of light because in relation to where you started, you are in the same exact spot at the end of 24 hours (1 day)? Would you be traveling faster than the speed of light (speed of light + rotation speed of earth for that one day) BECAUSE you have not moved?

No.

/thread

Leetonidas
10-28-2010, 09:54 AM
lolwut

bus driver
10-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Tonight, after the Spurs game, I went with 2 of my buddies to Taco Bell for $2 meal deals (#1, for those interested, with a Pepsi).

Anyways, we spent 30 minutes in my friend's car discussing this topic, this is not a troll idea from any other website that I know of (other one with the lifting/magnet were :lol)

Anyways, a few things would have to hold true for this to work, I have no clue if these things would work, so if any of these things can be disproven, the entire theory falls apart.

3. What I am saying next is not possible in reality, however, in theory it would be. If somehow it was possible to put one light year's worth of metal pipe/rope around the earth in length. Sitting down on one point of the pole.

I am honestly so hyper right now, I can't wrap my head around this, my friends thought I was fucking around but if these 3 things hold true, and at the end of one day, you are at the same spot on the pole as you started...you would have to be traveling at the speed of light, or faster than it, in order to stay in the same spot while the earth rotates "under" you.

i guess you won RR. How is the $200?

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Btw Gutter, just because I want to trip you out, check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Check out the "Ring" section. Kind of like your idea, but a lot more intelligently thought out. :tu

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Btw Gutter, just because I want to trip you out, check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Check out the "Ring" section. Kind of like your idea, but a lot more intelligently thought out. :tu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Dyson_Ring.PNG/800px-Dyson_Ring.PNG

This is sort of what I am talking about, except it would not be this much bigger than the earth (or, rather, the diameter of the ring would not be anywhere near this big compared to the earth's). Rather, the diameter would be a few feet longer than the earth's, hence why it would only be a few feet above the ground.

Also, how do you mean the weight of the material would crush itself? Wouldn't the tension of the rope or w/e keep it in a constant state, never letting any part of it touch the floor? The reason I thought of this was because when I was a child, I used to climb on my neighbor's tree. His tree was one where it seemed like two were coming from the same trunk-- gonna try to find a google image of what this would look like. Anyways, there was a metal chain going from one side of the tree to the other, suspended in the air, completely solid. I was actually able to sit down on this, and it did not bend at ALL.

MannyIsGod
10-28-2010, 11:57 AM

No - if nothing that is touching the ground holds it up the rope falls..

Yes

One light day's worth of pole would be much longer than to just go around the earth. The earth's daily rotation goes nowhere near one light day so no.

you're not at the same spot on the pole after one day.

MannyIsGod
10-28-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm on ventrilo with my friend right now, and he said that it might make sense if the metal rod thing was one side of a magnet, and there was a magnetic strip underneath the entire metal rod around the earth that repels it keeping it afloat. I swear to god, no lies, this is what he just said to me.

Magnetism can overcome gravity so suspending a metal pole in that manner is theoretically possible.

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Magnetism can overcome gravity so suspending a metal pole in that manner is theoretically possible.

It would just take an incredibly massive amount of energy to do that.

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 12:39 PM
It would just take an incredibly massive amount of energy to do that.

Do you mean that as in the magnet would have to be high off the floor (thick) or really wide but thin?

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Actually, if the ring was structurally rigid enough where it couldn't kink (when talking about going around the circumference of the earth it might have to be 100's of feet deep) it could theoretically be possible to stay suspended (relative to any single point on the earth) with gravity you would have equal and opposite forces acting on the ring...

Think of gravity on one side "pulling down" while the gravity on the opposite side of the earth "pushes back" with the same force.

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Now if you really want to mind trip think about where you build this ring...If you built it east/west and it started "slowing" relative to the earth after construction till it stood "still" relative to the earth it would appear to be spinning at over 1000mph.

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Now if you really want to mind trip think about where you build this ring...If you built it east/west and it started "slowing" relative to the earth after construction till it stood "still" relative to the earth it would appear to be spinning at over 1000mph.

Well duh you'd kinda have to build it east west lol, if you build it north south you'd have to duck every time that shit came through town: once a day

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
ah, here's a more accurate picture of what i am talking about

http://www.concordsupplies.com/_webcache/avtcra51204002_1_2.jpg

The bronze part would be the rope or pole or w/e.

DarkReign
10-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Do you mean that as in the magnet would have to be high off the floor (thick) or really wide but thin?

No, he is talking about electro-magnetism, which is what would be required to suspend something of that size.

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Well duh you'd kinda have to build it east west lol, if you build it north south you'd have to duck every time that shit came through town: once a day

You want to think about that statement again?

Sisk
10-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Gutter is first team troll, troll MVP, troll DPOY, troll ROY.. the list goes on and on

tlongII
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Gutter is first team troll, troll MVP, troll DPOY, troll ROY.. the list goes on and on

No doubt. Best troll I've seen in many years. Of course I'm still not sure if he's really a troll or not. That's part of what makes him such a great troll! :tu

CubanSucks
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
http://thisrecording.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/rdobnmkkdfbo8uh3qxe3w9ivo1_400.jpg

Phineas J. Whoopee
10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
You all are so gullible. :lmao

Gutter92
10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
After a good 4 hour nap today, I came back and read the comments against why this would be possible. I now understand the error in my ways, and would like to thank those that supplied an explanation to why it's not possible.

Cry Havoc
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
You all are so gullible. :lmao

Meh, I know he's trolling. I'm choosing to respond seriously anyway.