PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith to Start for Niners

symple19
10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Well, well, ......... Do we really have to export this shit across the pond?!?!?!

Maybe he'll be awesome and make all Niner fans forget about Joe and Steve!!!
:lol:lmao:rollin:blah:lol:lmao:wakeup:bang:downspi n::p::lol:lmao:lmao

THE Ohio State University!!!!!!!!

HERTFORDSHIRE, England -- Here on this converted soccer field located on the lush countryside of a remote luxury resort, Troy Smith took his first snaps as the 49ers' starting quarterback.
A few sheep grazed in the distance. A few trees along the sideline had been felled to make room for an NFL-sized field.
Things won't be quite so quaint for Smith on Sunday, when he faces the Denver Broncos in front of 85,000 fans at Wembley Stadium. He was named Wednesday as the replacement for Alex Smith, who is sidelined two to three weeks because of a separated left shoulder.
"Football is football, and any way you cut it up," Troy Smith said with a shrug, "it's going to be 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense.":rolleyes
Coach Mike Singletary chose Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner from Ohio State, over David Carr, the ninth-year veteran who had been listed all season as the No. 2 quarterback.
Singletary said he picked Smith because "the bottom line is: I think Troy Smith gives us a good opportunity to win the game."
Alex Smith sustained a sprained AC joint on his non-throwing shoulder last Sunday when he was sacked by Carolina Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson. (On Wednesday, Singletary acknowledged for the first time that Smith's injury was severe enough to be classified as a separated shoulder.)
Carr, who played most of the second half against Carolina, needed only 13 passes to lose his spot on the depth chart.

He completed 5 of 13 attempts for 67 yards, with one interception and a 23.6 passer rating. The 49ers' play-calling with Carr in the game smacked of distrust: He threw only one pass during one 19-minute stretch.
After an MRI exam this week confirmed the extent of Alex Smith's injury, Singletary moved quickly to promote Troy Smith, who has been listed as the No. 3 quarterback since being signed Sept. 6.
Singletary talks often about the importance of understanding the offense -- it is one of the reasons quarterback Nate Davis' stock has slipped this season -- but Smith impressed him as a quick learner. Singletary said he also was encouraged by his background check.
"Anyone that I talk to, whether it's here, whether it's Baltimore, whether it's Ohio State, they talk about his leadership," the coach said. "(They talk about) his ability to get everybody on the same page."
A fifth-round pick by the Baltimore Ravens in 2007, Smith has played in 14 career games. His only two NFL starts came as a rookie, when he took over for the final two games. Smith threw for 199 yards in a 27-6 loss to Seattle and for 171 yards in a 27-21 victory over Pittsburgh.
In his career, he has completed 48 of 89 passes for 558 yards with three touchdown passes, one interception and a passer rating of 79.7. Smith also has 109 rushing yards and two touchdowns in 29 carries.
He is best known for his days at Ohio State, where he tied the school record by topping 300 yards in total offense six times. As a senior, Smith set a Buckeyes record with 30 touchdown passes (against six interceptions).
"He's always pushing to be the best,":rolleyes said 49ers receiver Ted Ginn Jr., a teammate of Smith's at Ohio State.
Ginn and Smith met when they were 7 years old as irascible Cleveland schoolboys. Ginn would hold open the door when Smith sneaked out of church to get food from McDonald's; Smith returned the favor when Ginn sneaked out to get candy.
On Wednesday, each referred to the other as "my brother." They were teammates at Glenville High School in Cleveland. They were teammates at Ohio State. Now, they will be playing together on the same field in London.
"We've been together a long time," Ginn said. "For us to go out and continue our journey is great. You don't have a chance very often to play with someone you've been playing with your whole life."
Cornerback Nate Clements, another Ohio State alumnus, was asked to name his favorite game from Smith's career with the Buckeyes. "Look at all the games," Clements replied. "He's always performed. We're very confident in what he can do. I know the man can play."

I feel sorry for England, I really do.

And yes, Carr was horrible last week, but was that really enough to drop him below Troy?!

Iron Mike is quickly losing favor, deservedly so

symple19
10-28-2010, 06:30 AM
lulz, this may be the worst game of the entire NFL season.

Broncos 888888888888888888888888888888888888, Niners 0

kamikazi_player
10-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Lmao

symple19
10-28-2010, 06:55 AM
no shit

HarlemHeat37
10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Hopefully he plays well..this is one of Denver's main competition for a high draft pick, need SF to get some wins..

robino2001
10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
every Niners fan knows Troy Smith will lead them to an 7 game winning streak... he'll get hurt, A. Smith will come in and bomb the next two games... end 8-8, out of the playoffs, shitty draft pick, and just good enough to save Singletary's job.... that's just how this season is bound to work

:smchode:

Sigz
10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Den > sf

pawe
10-28-2010, 09:28 PM
LOOOOOOOL Cowboys and Niners as division winners

symple19
10-29-2010, 06:43 AM
hey sigz, shouldn't you be fucking a lotion drenched hole in a Becky Mannon poster?

symple19
10-29-2010, 06:45 AM
every Niners fan knows Troy Smith will lead them to an 7 game winning streak... he'll get hurt, A. Smith will come in and bomb the next two games... end 8-8, out of the playoffs, shitty draft pick, and just good enough to save Singletary's job.... that's just how this season is bound to work

:smchode:

:lol:toast indeed

I may jump off the GG when I go back there on vacation if this happens

Sigz
10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
hey sigz, shouldn't you be fucking a lotion drenched hole in a Becky Mannon poster?

LOL look at this bitter faggot change the topic.

samikeyp
10-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Symple....has the talk begun among Niners fans about doing whatever possible to draft Andrew Luck if he enters the draft? I would imagine with he being touted as a high pick and playing close by that some would have mentioned it by now.

kamikazi_player
10-29-2010, 02:51 PM
This sucks, both teams(Cowboys and Niners) suck so much ass and have to rely on unproven qbs but at least there's the world series that is representing both cities(even though I'm not a baseball fan or a Ranger fan as a matter of fact).

symple19
10-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Symple....has the talk begun among Niners fans about doing whatever possible to draft Andrew Luck if he enters the draft? I would imagine with he being touted as a high pick and playing close by that some would have mentioned it by now.

Andrew Luck is definitely who most would point to, although I would also be happy with Mallet as well. Being a cardinal, he is already well known and liked in the Bay area. Niner fans remember all too well when former coach Mike Nolan went with Alex Smith instead of hometown hero and lifelong Niner fan Aaron Rodgers. We all see how that turned out.

The Niners have plenty of talent, they just need that "it" guy behind center. Luck is a Stanford guy, so he is obviously smart, and very impressive while running a pro-style attack. He seems to also be a natural leader, something SF has missed in a QB since Young was taking snaps. Luck reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan, same height (although a bit heavier at 235) with excellent mechanics and pocket presence.

So yes, as of right now, Luck would be the best option.

However, in order for any new QB to succeed, the fucking Niners have to find a capable OC. Smith has been through something like 5 or 6 coordinators, so finding a guy who can run an effective offense and stick around for a few years is key. Without that, even the best pick may be doomed to a path similar to Smith's.

They might just need a new, competent head coach as well...

Sigz
10-30-2010, 03:49 PM
The 49ers just need to relocate.

They haven't been relevant since Steve Young was there. LOL

Must be hard to root for such a shitty team.

symple19
10-30-2010, 08:37 PM
ooooooo, the relevance argument. Have you been studying at CFC? (Cowboy Fan College)

ginobili's bald spot
10-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Go Troy :clap

I don't feel like he's ever gotten a fair shot in this league. I think he could at least be a mediocre QB under the right stable conditions.

pawe
10-30-2010, 09:51 PM
The 49ers just need to relocate.

They haven't been relevant since Steve Young was there. LOL

They are far from being a shitty team. They have good defense and they have Gore and VD plus Crabtree is starting to assert himself now. They are just mis-managed TBH

Sigz
10-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Broncos suck.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Good game, closer to the best possible pick, closer to more Tebow, closer to McDaniels' firing..

Unfortunately, the Panthers lost..hopefully the Bills can step up and win here..

robino2001
11-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Andrew Luck is definitely who most would point to, although I would also be happy with Mallet as well. Being a cardinal, he is already well known and liked in the Bay area. Niner fans remember all too well when former coach Mike Nolan went with Alex Smith instead of hometown hero and lifelong Niner fan Aaron Rodgers. We all see how that turned out.

The Niners have plenty of talent, they just need that "it" guy behind center. Luck is a Stanford guy, so he is obviously smart, and very impressive while running a pro-style attack. He seems to also be a natural leader, something SF has missed in a QB since Young was taking snaps. Luck reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan, same height (although a bit heavier at 235) with excellent mechanics and pocket presence.

So yes, as of right now, Luck would be the best option.

However, in order for any new QB to succeed, the fucking Niners have to find a capable OC. Smith has been through something like 5 or 6 coordinators, so finding a guy who can run an effective offense and stick around for a few years is key. Without that, even the best pick may be doomed to a path similar to Smith's.

They might just need a new, competent head coach as well...

I honestly haven't seen enough of Luck to be in love with him yet, but I hear a lot of rumbling about Jake Locker too to SF... but I'm even more unsure on him than I am of Luck. The word overrated comes to mind about Locker but maybe he is the real deal with no one around him. I've read the team wants to stay away from Mallett because of character issues... but again, just what I've read. Also, as for Luck being a "Stanford guy" (meaning the intelligence vs being from the bay area)... don't forget Smith was touted as highly highly intelligent as well graduating in 2.5 years.

What an unfortunate season for SF. I drank the Singletary kool-aid and was sold on him but unfortunately he's good for a motivational speech or two every now and then and it seems to be it. Will be interesting to see who ends up replacing Singletary after the inevitable firing. Next blowout loss anywhere on the remaining schedule and he's gone. Unfortunately all of the teams remaining have shown decent games every now and then so I don't think there is that ONE team that if they lose to them, he's out (though STL and TB are close). Funny thing is they're still only 2.5 back and could be back in first in a matter of weeks.

I'm glad I never pulled the trigger before the season on the trip and tickets to the SF/SD thursday night game in December that I thought was bound to be two 10 win teams battling for playoff positioning...

symple19
11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I honestly haven't seen enough of Luck to be in love with him yet, but I hear a lot of rumbling about Jake Locker too to SF... but I'm even more unsure on him than I am of Luck. The word overrated comes to mind about Locker but maybe he is the real deal with no one around him. I've read the team wants to stay away from Mallett because of character issues... but again, just what I've read. Also, as for Luck being a "Stanford guy" (meaning the intelligence vs being from the bay area)... don't forget Smith was touted as highly highly intelligent as well graduating in 2.5 years.

What an unfortunate season for SF. I drank the Singletary kool-aid and was sold on him but unfortunately he's good for a motivational speech or two every now and then and it seems to be it. Will be interesting to see who ends up replacing Singletary after the inevitable firing. Next blowout loss anywhere on the remaining schedule and he's gone. Unfortunately all of the teams remaining have shown decent games every now and then so I don't think there is that ONE team that if they lose to them, he's out (though STL and TB are close). Funny thing is they're still only 2.5 back and could be back in first in a matter of weeks.

I'm glad I never pulled the trigger before the season on the trip and tickets to the SF/SD thursday night game in December that I thought was bound to be two 10 win teams battling for playoff positioning...

Locker has been underwhelming, although he isn't surrounded by the type of talent that Mallet and Luck are. While similar to Andrew in size, he seems to disappear in big games, something that makes me a little nervous. I would put him pretty far behind Mallett and Luck right now.

As for Mallett, he's been called a bit of a prima-donna by those around the SEC. However, some of the best QBs of all time have been of the same type. I've seen Mallett alot since I'm an Auburn fan and thus an avid watcher of SEC games. The guy performs week in and week out, although his decision making can sometimes be suspect. He is another guy who has run the right type of offense and is used to throwing from the pocket. His arm is a cannon and he has played the last 2 years against the best college competition in the country. I could definitely live with him if Luck goes to someone else

You're absolutely right that Smith is smart. I think the "smart" category isn't nearly as important as the fact that Smith ran a Spread (in Urban Meyers system) while Luck runs a pro-style, pocket passing system. He (Luck) also has Harbaugh as a coach, somebody who knows the NFL, as well as what it takes to succeed as a player. Luck has a stronger arm, a bigger body, and a comfort level in the pocket that Smith never had. I find him to be a much more attractive prospect at this point than I did Smith at the same point in his career.

I'm with you on Singletary, the guy just can't get the Niners to play early in the season. He also makes consistently bad decisions, both in-game as well as during the week. I just don't have the patience to wait for him to figure out how to be a 16 game coach. His bad decisions regarding coaching staff probably make me madder than anything else. If they don't make the playoffs, he has to go.

Finally, the Niners front office has to get their shit together. Jed seems to have the desire to steer the team in the right direction, but he needs to add a good GM to the staff. Maybe I was spoiled for too long by Eddie D, but it just seems like the dysfunction over the last number of years has started at the top and trickled down to the team all too often.

symple19
11-01-2010, 04:01 PM

:lol:lmao

you're such a dumbass. How do you feel now that such a shitty team owned your pathetic broncos?

go back to watching the WNBA, douche

symple19
11-01-2010, 04:03 PM
And yeah, Troy gets some credit for being steady. IMO, when Gore runs like he did on Sunday the Niners are very tough to beat. Hopefully the O-line can continue to gel and present more opportunities to the RBs. Ultimately, the play of that line will dictate how effective the niner offense can be

Sigz
11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
:lol:lmao

you're such a dumbass. How do you feel now that such a shitty team owned your pathetic broncos?

go back to watching the WNBA, douche

A shitty team beating another shitty team. I feel so conflicted.