PDA

View Full Version : Homers time: Malone best PF ever (dude from Utah), Barkley (dude from Philly)

lefty
10-28-2010, 03:10 PM
LMAO at those bloggers :lmao

At least the Utah dude admits that he is biased :tu

http://www.saltcityhoops.com/karl-malone-best-power-forward-of-all-time/

http://www.geoclan.com/sports/articles/04/oct/CharlesBarkleyTheGreatestPowerForwardEver.htm

ambchang
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
The Barkley article actually mentioned his defense as a +ve.

Twice!

lefty
10-28-2010, 03:34 PM
The Barkley article actually mentioned his defense as a +ve.

Twice!
LMAO at Barkley and defense in the same sentence

Dude couldnt keep an eye on 5 year olds.

The funniest part is the mention on players he guarded : Bird, MJ :lmao

I will send him some YT videos:

Barkley's retarded defensive mistake on MJ that led to that wide open 3 from Paxson

Or Bird owning Barkely in the clutch

Fabbs
10-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Kevin McHale.

poop
10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Malone was without a doubt the best regular season PF of all-time.

Chris Fall
10-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Dude couldnt keep an eye on 5 year olds.

he's certainly no cubby thats for sure

admiralsnackbar
10-28-2010, 09:31 PM
LMAO at those bloggers :lmao

At least the Utah dude admits that he is biased :tu

http://www.saltcityhoops.com/karl-malone-best-power-forward-of-all-time/

http://www.geoclan.com/sports/articles/04/oct/CharlesBarkleyTheGreatestPowerForwardEver.htm

You should have just copy/pasted their articles instead of giving them the benefit of ST hits. :)

Ode to Triple Ocho
10-28-2010, 09:35 PM
They're right.

Timmy is a top 10 center all-time which is nothing to wipe your ass with it.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 12:16 AM
"When you look at Karl Malone’s stats compared to Tim Duncan it is hard to make the case that Duncan is a better player that Malone."

"NBA Titles: 4 > 0." Bingo

"Playoff Stats: This is where Malone fans might wish the stats contradicted common viewpoints, but unfortunately they don’t. This is where the questions above about how maybe our memory has failed in us in remembering Malone’s playoff performance get answered. Unfortunately for Jazz fans the answers aren’t good and they are the main reason why I think someone can make the case for Tim Duncan being the best power forward of all time." Bingo.

I'm impressed, they effectively derailed their own conclusion with their "counter-argument" section.

I've never met anybody who places more weight on regular season performance over playoff performance, or playoff performance over championship-winning playoff performance. This is a qualitative and somewhat arbitrary assessment, of course, but it's rather intuitive. If you want to argue otherwise (that regular season performance is just as admirable if not more admirable than playoff performance) then I'd be willing to hear your argument, but we'd have to agree to disagree.

I've made the arbitrary assessment that winning a championship as a franchise player means far more than regular season performance. Duncan is and always has been the core, franchise player of the Spurs during their championship years - fact.

Duncan has won more championships as the franchise player than Malone - fact (4 > 0).

I'd even go as far as saying that Malone's regular season stats aren't so much better than Duncan's in the first place. Consider stats per 36 or 48 minutes, and the scoring disparities are partially diminished.

Malone bests Duncan in points per game - slightly - probably due in large part to his greater free throw shooting %. But, Duncan bests Malone in rebounds per game and blocks per game.

You might argue that Malone gets an edge due to the fact that he's put up numbers for more years than Duncan (19 versus 14) - but really this is somewhat of a double-edged sword because it could be used to argue for Duncan's brilliance as well - Duncan managed to get more championships as the franchise player in a smaller time span (4 in 14) than Malone (0 in 19).

What a ridiculous article. Why can't they be happy with cementing Malone as the 2nd best PF of all time?

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2010, 12:50 AM
A.C. Green, tbh

#2!
10-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Idk how many I made it through out of 35 (probably about half) but almost every post I read picked apart the guy's logic in calling Malone better than Duncan.

I feel bad for not having known this, but one of the things people brought up is the fact that no team has ever won a single championship with a power forward as the centerpiece of the team except for Tim Duncan's Spurs, who have done it 4 times. wow

DeadlyDynasty
10-29-2010, 01:04 AM
They are local/homer writers...do you guys really feel slighted by this?

lefty
10-29-2010, 08:30 AM
They are local/homer writers...do you guys really feel slighted by this?
No, but homerism should have its limits

I'm not ganna say that D-Rob is the best center of all-time because I'm a Spurs fan
Olajuwon shitted on him and stuff....

21_Blessings
10-29-2010, 02:55 PM
No, but homerism should have its limits

I'm not ganna say that D-Rob is the best center of all-time because I'm a Spurs fan
Olajuwon shitted on him and stuff....

Pretty much everyone shitted on Robinson. Well except the Clippers.

lefty
10-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Pretty much everyone shitted on Robinson. Well except the Clippers.
:lol

Wait :madrun

ambchang
10-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Too bad the best PG Robinson had during his prime was a third string PG with the Rockets. Robinson should have just asked for a trade in the media and force the Spurs to create a team that revolutionized 3pt shooting as a weapon.

lefty
10-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Too bad the best PG Robinson had during his prime was a third string PG with the Rockets. Robinson should have just asked for a trade in the media and force the Spurs to create a team that revolutionized 3pt shooting as a weapon.
No way

He is not a sissy like Kobe

spectator
10-29-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_career.html

i like this page - of course it's gibberish, but i like it nonetheless.

jag
10-29-2010, 03:45 PM
They're right.

Timmy is a top 10 center all-time which is nothing to wipe your ass with it.

How are they both right when one of them says Barkley is #1 all-time and the other one says Malone is #1?

lefty
10-29-2010, 03:48 PM
How are they both right when one of them says Barkley is #1 all-time and the other one says Malone is #1?
Don't bother, he is a Laker fan

JR3
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
In my mind what solidifies Duncan as a PF and not a center is that he has an outside game. The typical center can't shoot the mid range.

spectator
10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
In my mind what solidifies Duncan as a PF and not a center is that he has an outside game. The typical center can't shoot the mid range.

he could also defend the pnr for most of his career. most centers struggle when they venture that far from the paint.

howbouthemspurs
10-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Duncan is the best of all time hands down!

Mr Bones
10-30-2010, 12:12 AM

But when talking about the greatest of all time at any position, it would naturally mean that that person can't be "typical" anyway-- that's the characteristic that they most defy. Zydrunus Ilgauskas, Brad Miller, and Mehmet Okur have outside games, and they're all centers. In my mind, it doesn't really matter that much, but the fact that Duncan identifies himself as a PF is probably what means the most.

dunkman
10-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Duncan has three clear advantages that set him a part from Malone. Duncan is more difficult to guard, has legendary performances in critical games, and is also better defensive player. That characteristics allowed him to lead 4 championship teams, while Malone came short three times.

Another detail is that Duncan would have scored more playing with Stock and in an era when defensive schemes were not so elaborate.

Malone was a fantastic player, no doubt about, he was very good even the season he retired but IMO Duncan surpassed him since some time.