PDA

View Full Version : Wakefield gives up six homers and still wins!

Jimcs50
08-09-2004, 12:47 AM
DETROIT (AP) -- Tim Wakefield won a game and ended up in the record book.

He enjoyed one feat much more than the other.

Wakefield gave up six homers, matching a modern major league record last set 64 years ago, but he wound up with the victory when his Boston Red Sox outslugged the Detroit Tigers 11-9 Sunday.

"I'm glad we won, but that's just because the offense scored more runs than I gave up," Wakefield said. "I'd rather just forget about the whole thing."

David Ortiz's three-run shot capped a six-run fourth inning, and Kevin Youkilis homered twice to help the Red Sox overcome seven Detroit home runs.

"I don't remember ever hitting two homers in pro ball," Youkilis said. "I'll remember this one, though."

Ivan Rodriguez and Eric Munson each connected twice for the Tigers on an unusual day at spacious Comerica Park. The teams combined for 10 homers, the most in the stadium's five-year history. Detroit's seven homers were the most ever hit by one club at Comerica.

"I'm not sure what was happening out there," Munson said. "Some of the balls that went out weren't crushed by any means, but the ball was just really carrying."

Three homers went over the shortened left-field fence and would not have been home runs before the Comerica Park fences were brought in last year.

Wakefield (8-6) allowed two homers to Rodriguez and one each to Munson, Craig Monroe, Carlos Pena and Dmitri Young. Yet the knuckleballer left after five innings with a 10-7 lead.

"He didn't have his best stuff, but give him credit -- he stayed out there for five innings," Boston manager Terry Francona said. "I've never seen the ball carry like it did today -- it was just flying all over the place."

Wakefield is the sixth pitcher since 1900 to yield six homers in a game, but the first since George Caster of the Philadelphia Athletics against the Red Sox on Sept. 24, 1940.

The previous Red Sox record was five, by Wakefield in 1996 and Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley in 1979.

"I didn't have any feeling for the knuckler today at all," Wakefield said. "I was just trying to get an out anywhere I could find one."

In 1886, Charlie Sweeney of the St. Louis Maroons in the National League gave up seven homers in a game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Brooklyn's Hollis Thurston was the last pitcher to give up six homers and win the game, beating the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds on Aug. 13, 1932.

Three Red Sox relievers finished, securing Wakefield's third straight win. Keith Foulke pitched a perfect ninth for his 18th save in 23 chances.

Wakefield allowed eight hits but did not walk a batter.

Youkilis had four RBI for Boston, which took two of three in the series. Ortiz, who missed the first game while finishing a five-game suspension, drove in five runs in the two wins.

"To come out of here with two wins -- that gives us some momentum," Francona said.

Nate Robertson (9-7) failed to take advantage of Detroit's big day on offense, giving up eight runs -- seven earned -- in three-plus innings.

Detroit scored six runs on five homers off Wakefield in the first three innings, but Robertson immediately gave the lead back three straight times.

"There's not a lot I can say," Robertson said. "Our guys went out there and scored nine runs, and I gave it away. I missed some pitches, and they hit them, but I threw some good pitches and they hit those, too."

The Tigers went ahead on Rodriguez's homer in the first, but Bill Mueller and Gabe Kapler made it 2-1 with run-scoring hits in the second.

Detroit got consecutive solo homers from Monroe and Munson in the bottom half to make it 3-2, but Boston tied the game on Youkilis' homer.

Rodriguez hit his second homer in the third, a two-run shot, and Pena added a solo drive later in the inning, putting the Tigers ahead 6-3.

Robertson, though, couldn't even get an out in the fourth.

Mueller reached on a two-base error by center fielder Alex Sanchez, Kapler singled, and both runners scored on Johnny Damon's triple. Youkilis tied the game with an RBI single before Robertson walked Kevin Millar.

That brought Roberto Novoa out of the bullpen to face Ortiz, who lined a pitch just inside the right-field foul pole for a three-run homer and a 9-6 lead.

"Obviously, you wonder how that inning would have gone if Alex catches the ball -- that's certainly not the way you want to start an inning," Tigers manager Alan Trammell said. "But the fact is that we just didn't shut them down after that."

Youkilis made it 10-6 with a fifth-inning sacrifice fly, but Young hit the final homer against Wakefield, Detroit's fifth solo shot, in the bottom of the fifth.

Youkilis homered in the eighth off Al Levine to make it 11-7. Munson hit a two-run shot off Mike Timlin in the bottom half.

Game notes
Manny Ramirez was scratched from the Boston lineup with flulike symptoms for the second day in a row. ... Kapler had three hits, including two doubles, against his former team. ... The Tigers dropped to 28-30 at home.

Jimcs50
08-09-2004, 12:48 AM
This is unbelievable....only 9 runs on 7 homers. :spin

DuffMcCartney
08-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Wow Jim...Wakefield is bad ass now.

Only a Red Sox fan would get excited about a pitcher giving up 6 HRs and still winning.

Jimcs50
08-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Doof, it is exciting because it is so rare in baseball to give up 6 HRs, and even rarer to win, because usually you are pulled out after 3 HRs. I am interested in historical records in sports, and that is why this was the opening sports story on every sports network today...you dumb ****.

By the way, why don't I just come to SA and let you lick my balls, because you are obviously in love with me. You are the only person that has to read every one of my posts and comment on them in a negative manner. I took a lot of Psych classes and I know a stalker when I see one, you are a latent homo and you want my dick, it is all too obvious. Sorry, but I am happily married and do not swing that way.

Solid D
08-09-2004, 01:42 AM
What surprised me was that this was not accomplished at Fenway....traditionally a place where no lead is safe, due to the dimensions of the bandbox, I mean ballpark.

This happened at spacious Comerica (420' to center) and Wakefield is not a fastball pitcher...he's a knucleballer. The odds are really against it happening in Detroit.

DuffMcCartney
08-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Is it in your nature to resort to homosexuality when someone rags on you Jim? Obviously it is Jim.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2004, 02:46 AM
don't blame duff jim, it's hard finding things to fill the time where normal people have sex.

Jimcs50
08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Solid D, in the article, it stated that the left field wall was shortened this year so the park is a little easier to hit it out than it was the first 5 yrs in that park....that said, it is still a head scratcher, eh?

DuffMcCartney
08-09-2004, 05:27 PM
don't blame duff jim, it's hard finding things to fill the time where normal people have sex.

The way you talk about it Manny, I would assume this is your first relationship with sex.

You're like that kid that finally got the toy he wanted..and he has to take it everywhere and show everybody it.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2004, 05:45 PM
it is duff, and you don't have it. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

But hey, you can always defend your castle and listen to the beattles.

DuffMcCartney
08-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Uh okay. Good job Manny.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
yeah, you tell me to stop ragging on people, and you give jim shit all the time. You need a life in the worse way fucker.

DuffMcCartney
08-09-2004, 06:05 PM
I only give Jim shit about the Redskins and the Red Sox...because I'm a fan of the team that is their rivals.

You just rag on somebody from out of the blue...you rag on people so much you can play the piano to it. You can always count the time when Manny comes in and rags on somebody. It's like clockwork.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Really, go for it, dig up the posts where i've been doing it. You have of time on your hadns.

exstatic
08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
The amazing thing is, if you told me that a knuckleball pitcher gave up 8 hits in 7 innings, and walked no one, I'd think he pitched a good game. 8 hits, and six of them are big flies. Sheesh.

3rdCoast
02-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Shouldn't this be in the baseball forum?

3rdCoast
02-04-2006, 07:20 PM
shouldn't you only be posting in the Poth forum

The day I step back into Poth, Floresville, or La Vernia is the day that mookie votes the right way.

Republican.