PDA

View Full Version : Bonner's loss Tiago's gain

analyzed
10-29-2010, 04:53 AM
In a sense I'm glad Bonner's out for 10-14 days. ( 4 to 6 games). Hopefully this forces Pop to play Tiago. Probably not your ideal way to get into things. But I'd rather throw Tiago into the deep end and force him to learn fast. Yeah he will commit a lot of mistakes, but I would rather he flop now even at the expense of losing some possension with the hope that he will be better prepared come playoff time. Hopefully Bonner's loss turns out to be a blessing in disguise. I also think it will help Blair's development as well.

chazley
10-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Alot of idiots on Spurstalk just loooove to hate on Bonner. Not saying you are one of them, just in general.

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2010, 05:06 AM
Thats not necessary hating on Bonner, he's just saying its good that we'll see Tiago play now since he's really needed. With Bonner there its taking away possible minutes for him to make an impression

AFBlue
10-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I think the "sink or swim" approach to his acclamation is probably best because they can't really afford to bring him along slowly. He seems to have the mental capacity and confidence not to be rattled by it.

silverblk mystix
10-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I will openly hate on Bonner...

Bonners' injury is a blessing undisguised.

weebo
10-29-2010, 06:29 AM
To be fair, Bonner has a place on the team. That place being at the end of the bench.

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2010, 07:45 AM
This couldn't go in the "Bonner injures ankle" thread?

ploto
10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I would hope that it would not take an injury to Bonner to garner Tiago and Blair their playing time.

8FOR!3
10-29-2010, 09:36 AM
The Bonner hate is ridiculous, he goes out and has a set job and does an above average version of it on a consistent basis. It's a small role yes, but an important one.

sandman
10-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I would hope that it would not take an injury to Bonner to garner Tiago and Blair their playing time.

This. I doubt Tiago is going to get thrown into the mix just because Bonner goes down. They don't even play the same role on the team.

Didn't Pop say that Tiago was most likely going to start playing Monday against the Clippers? And there is only the Hornets game between now and then? Tiago getting his minutes will be right on Pops schedule and has nothing to do with Bonner.

hater
10-29-2010, 09:56 AM
agree the Bonner hate is digusting.

sandman
10-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Bonner is hated more for what he is not, than for what he actually is.

Leonard Curse
10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
my thoughts exactly my friend!

lurker23
10-29-2010, 11:03 AM
I've been saying for the last 3 years that the Bonner hate is not deserved and is way overboard.

That said, I don't think that was necessarily the OP's intent. I agree that if Bonner's injury allows Splitter to play a consistent 20 minutes per game and get into the flow of things, rather than an inconsistent 10-15 mpg in a 5-man rotation, then that will ultimately end up being a positive for both Splitter and the Spurs. Above all, Splitter needs time on the court, to get a handle of the Spurs playbook, his teammates, and the NBA game in general.

Still, get well soon, Mattie.

DrSteffo
10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I think Splitter will be way ahead of Bonner soon enough. If Splitter was 100% healthy and Pop refused to play him I would agree with the OPs point. Now we need all the big men we have. Small ball and Simmons playing PF doesn't make me happy.

Juanobili
10-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Bonner, like him or not, has a place on this team... and an injury does set back the team a little with how they were probably hoping to use him

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been saying for the last 3 years that the Bonner hate is not deserved and is way overboard.

That said, I don't think that was necessarily the OP's intent. I agree that if Bonner's injury allows Splitter to play a consistent 20 minutes per game and get into the flow of things, rather than an inconsistent 10-15 mpg in a 5-man rotation, then that will ultimately end up being a positive for both Splitter and the Spurs. Above all, Splitter needs time on the court, to get a handle of the Spurs playbook, his teammates, and the NBA game in general.

Still, get well soon, Mattie.

When was the last time Pop used a 5 big man rotation throughout the year?

And Bonner's hate isn't deserved, he's good at what he does. Unfortunately what he does really well is negated by the presence he has physically on the defensive end. ( Mentally Bonner is pretty solid with his positioning, but sometimes positioning in one on one situations doesn't make up for his presence physically as the average post can usually have their way with him on the block. And his positioning also doesn't make up for how non-threatening he is defending the paint off the ball; It's literally a lay up drill for any penetration; I'd be interested to see the FG% in the paint for the opposing team when Bonner is in game vs. when he's not.)

If Spurs and Pop want to reclaim their defensive identity, Bonner has to sit in favor of Splitter and McDyess. This isn't the 2008/09' season anymore where we need to play Bonner because the offense is terrible. This Spurs team has enough firepower offensively without Bonner, therefore Spurs need to play Splitter and McDyess more when it matters to give the team a chance to reclaim it's dominant defensive identity--Which starts in the paint.

rayray2k8
10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
The Bonner hate has spread rapidly and I was one of the early one's who started to hate on him. But I am surprised that it's spread all the way to timvp. :lol

The guy is a proven playoff choker and shouldn't play more than 15 mins on the floor. It is a shame that Splitter will benefit off his injury, but we expect him to have a larger role in the future and it would have cut into Bonner's minutes..
So don't kid yourself.

As for all the Bonner lovers out there don't worry, you'll see him in action... Someone's gotta play against the scrub teams like the wizards/rapters/warriors/twolves/nets/etc.

DesignatedT
10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree with the OP. Tiago definitely needs to take advantage of Bonner being out and show Pop he can play right out of the box. Also agree that the excessive Bonner hate is disturbing, since when did we become New York?

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
The Bonner hate has spread rapidly and I was one of the early one's who started to hate on him. But I am surprised that it's spread all the way to timvp. :lol

The guy is a proven playoff choker and shouldn't play more than 15 mins on the floor. .

More than anything else, this probably explains why the Bonner hate is so rampant. Dude has a playoff resume - of routinely spitting up on himself.

As for all the Bonner lovers out there don't worry, you'll see him in action... Someone's gotta play against the scrub teams like the wizards/rapters/warriors/twolves/nets/etc.

This ^ - again.

The Spurs did not build their dynasty off short-term, regular season success.

Until Bonner contributes something in the playoffs, a notion that I find highly unlikely, the hate will likely continue.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Until Bonner contributes something in the playoffs, a notion that I find highly unlikely, the hate will likely continue.

He did contribute in Games 3 and 4 of the Phoenix series as well as our sole win in 09.

You and everyone else will continue blinding yourself because he's nerdy, or runs like a t-rex, or can't offensive rebound from the 3 point line, or whatever.

On topic, I agree with ploto. Bonner was not going to stop Splitter (or Blair) from having a major role on this team, no matter the health situation. Bonner will be lucky to see the floor 15 MPG.

DesignatedT
10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
He did contribute in Games 3 and 4 of the Phoenix series as well as our sole win in 09.

You and everyone else will continue blinding yourself because he's nerdy, or runs like a t-rex, or can't offensive rebound from the 3 point line, or whatever.

On topic, I agree with ploto. Bonner was not going to stop Splitter (or Blair) from having a major role on this team, no matter the health situation. Bonner will be lucky to see the floor 15 MPG.

This. The guy has had good playoff games when we win the game but won't get any credit for it (not that he should) but whenever we lose than it come down hard on him (shouldn't be happening either).

Not saying I want him out on the floor all the time, because many times I definitely do not want him out there (especially in pressure situations) but he isn't Robert Horry (noone is) so rooting or cheering when a guy gets injured is just plain retarded and very 'New York".

sandman
10-29-2010, 12:54 PM
This. The guy has had good playoff games when we win the game but won't get any credit for it (not that he should) but whenever we lose than it come down hard on him (shouldn't be happening either).

This. Think about how ridiculous that sounds: the Spurs lost a playoff series because Matt Bonner choked.

Who is to blame? Bonner for choking, or Pop for putting a burden on a role player that he could not handle? Seems that people hate Bonner for Pops inability to use him appropriately, or his appropriately use in Small Ball which everyone hates.

DrSteffo
10-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Not saying I want him out on the floor all the time, because many times I definitely do not want him out there (especially in pressure situations) but he isn't Robert Horry (noone is) so rooting or cheering when a guy gets injured is just plain retarded and very 'New York".

Agreed. Let's win some games.

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 12:59 PM

:rolleyes

That's a wonderfully large sample size because the Spurs have only played in one playoff series since the post-Horry, Bonner era. If that's all you got, you should give up.

I'm not going to get into a lengthy Bonner debate. The guy was resigned and is on the team. Nothing can be done about that. He's got some value, but unfortunately his regular season contributions have not translated into a series of consistent playoff performances. That indicates something other than physical.

FWIW, I don't give a rat's ass what Bonner looks like. I only care about getting a consistent contribution from him, or any Spurs player, when he hits the floor.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Bonner isn't half as bad as most people make him out to be.

He actually developed a semi-reliable floater in the lane (not nearly as reliable as Tony's, of course, but good enough for his position) the past 2 years and it seems like hardly anyone noticed.

Yeah, it was pretty reliable despite what your biased memory might tell you.

Maybe you can make a case that overall Bonner is terrible due to lack of defense, but when he does markedly improve in certain areas (FG%, 3P%), nobody seems to give him any credit.

Bonner's success at the 3 point range is absolutely critical for spacing on the spur's offense. Without a truly reliable 40% 3 point threat in the likes of Bonner, the spurs would falter a lot more than simply losing Bonner's offensive production. One of his primary contributions to the spurs offense is the ability to demand favorable spacing. Most people just seem to ignore this incredibly important asset.

peacemaker885
10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Matt isn't taking minutes from anybody. If anybody has qualms about Matt playing, then write a letter to Pop and the coaching staff. CC Tim while your at it.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
:rolleyes

That's a wonderfully large sample size because the Spurs have only played in one playoff series since the post-Horry, Bonner era. If that's all you got, you should give up.

You said, "Until Bonner contributes something in the playoffs, a notion that I find highly unlikely, the hate will likely continue."

I can easily prove he has solid contributions (within his role, of course - you do understand the meaning of the term "role player", right?) in the playoffs.

Moving the goalposts is pretty lame.

I'm not going to get into a lengthy Bonner debate.

Of course not. You're just gonna keep bitching and moaning and asserting things like you said earlier, which simply aren't true.

No one should expect a player to play above his means. Everyone who hates on Bonner should be hating on Pop and the FO, period. Bonner comes out and gives 110% and yet still gets shit on because you're bitter about his skillset.

Grow the fuck up.

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
To Bonner's defense, he's only really played significantly in 15 playoff games. That my friend is not a large enough sample size to really judge a player. Even if it was, in the last 10 playoff games he's managed to shoot 37% from 3.

To say he's a known playoff choker is pretty foolish considering these facts and considering the limited role player he is.

Don't get it twisted, I still don't think this warrants Bonner playing time over Splitter, McDyess, or Blair. I just don't agree with people's assessment that he is a playoff choker considering the small sample size and his 37% shooting from the 3 point line the last 10 games.

ploto
10-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I "hate" Bonner because his shortcomings have caused the excessive wear and tear we have seen on Tim the past couple of seasons. The main blame is on Pop, not on Matt. He does what he can.

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
You said, "Until Bonner contributes something in the playoffs, a notion that I find highly unlikely, the hate will likely continue."

I can easily prove he has solid contributions (within his role, of course - you do understand the meaning of the term "role player", right?) in the playoffs.

Moving the goalposts is pretty lame.

Of course not. You're just gonna keep bitching and moaning and asserting things like you said earlier, which simply aren't true.

No one should expect a player to play above his means. Everyone who hates on Bonner should be hating on Pop and the FO, period. Bonner comes out and gives 110% and yet still gets shit on because you're bitter about his skillset.

Grow the fuck up.

Bonner has been a hotly debated topic in many threads, for a long time. I've chimed in my critical thoughts along the way. For purposes of this thread, I was providing reasons that the Bonner hate continues to exist.

You seem to be the one that is sensitive to any opinion that differs from your own. If actually you read the post, you'd know that I didn't mention anything about his skillset -only his production - or lack thereof.

Like others, I had high hopes for Bonner after Horry retired. However as I said before, I've watched that movie and know how it turns out. Frankly, seeing the end result and debating his failings or merits have become very tiresome - just like your attempts to defend him. Bonner is what he is. I've gotten over it. You're barking up the wrong tree, son.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm barking up everyone's tree who asserts the non-sense we have in this thread. I've seen the "critical thoughts" you've made before, as well - and critical is all they were. You never give Bonner any benefit of the doubt, and blame him for simply being himself.

Your lack of approval for his skillset won't change the way he plays.

Others have already pointed out, in this very thread, why your assertions are inaccurate and biased.

But, you're right, I digress. The hate will continue on as long as posters like you, voted one of the best here, call him a playoff choker and fuel the fires. Then you can call posters like me "sensitive" because I get tired of seeing the same exaggerations and even lies thrown around.

I see Bonner for the player he is - nothing special, but with the potential to be one of the best bench bigmen in the League. Let's RALLY around this guy and prop him up for this season, instead of taking any chance to bring him down and entertain useless past hypotheticals.

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2010, 01:38 PM
but with the potential to be one of the best bench bigmen in the League..

C'mon now.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 01:40 PM
C'mon now.

I don't think that's stretching it too far tbh, but it is only my opinion. And it has everything to do with his skillset - most teams don't bring an at least somewhat traditional big off the bench who also shoots lights out from 3.

rascal
10-29-2010, 01:50 PM
This. Think about how ridiculous that sounds: the Spurs lost a playoff series because Matt Bonner choked.

Who is to blame? Bonner for choking, or Pop for putting a burden on a role player that he could not handle? Seems that people hate Bonner for Pops inability to use him appropriately, or his appropriately use in Small Ball which everyone hates.

This. Bonner's talent level is nothing more than a role player. Play him as an end of the bench type role player and nothing more.

Pop and the spurs did not do a good job in finding starting quality frontline players.

mingus
10-29-2010, 01:54 PM
no way can Bonner be one of the best bigs off the bench this year. hell, Blair (who i think will come of the bench eventually) is better than him.

other bigs who are better than him off the bench:

Lamar Odom
Mehmet Okur
Bird Man
Tyson Chandler
Baby Davis
Shaq (when Perkins back)
ZaZa Pachulia
Chuck Hayes
Marcus Camby (if everybody weren't injured)
Marcin Gortat
Samuel Dalembert
Taj Gibson
Al Harrington
Verajao (when Jameson comes back)

arguably better:
Ilgaskus
Jeff Foster
Eric Dampier
Channing Frye
Ryan Anderson (or Bass... whichever one is coming off the bench this year).
Brad Miller

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Dampier is not even an NBA player at the moment. I'd like to think Bonner is better than that.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh, and Dampier was a $12 million dollar player last year. We pay Bonner closer to $3 million.

Dampier made more than Ginobili last year. What a joke. No wonder nobody wants him. Talk about underperforming.

mingus
10-29-2010, 01:59 PM
he just signed with houston

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:00 PM
this isn't about the money though. it's just who the best bigs off the bench are.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Did he? Interesting. How much is his contract worth?

Hooks
10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
no way can Bonner be one of the best bigs off the bench this year. hell, Blair (who i think will come of the bench eventually) is better than him.

other bigs who are better than him off the bench:

Lamar Odom
Mehmet Okur
Bird Man
Tyson Chandler
Baby Davis
Shaq (when Perkins back)
ZaZa Pachulia
Chuck Hayes
Marcus Camby (if everybody weren't injured)
Marcin Gortat
Samuel Dalembert
Taj Gibson
Al Harrington
Verajao (when Jameson comes back)

arguably better:
Ilgaskus
Jeff Foster
Eric Dampier
Channing Frye
Ryan Anderson (or Bass... whichever one is coming off the bench this year).
Brad Miller

Bonner>All of them.

Don't you know? Bonner stretches the floor!!!!!!!!11

xellos88330
10-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Silver lining?

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:04 PM
this isn't about the money though. it's just who the best bigs off the bench are.

I said one of them. I didn't quantify that number. I think, in terms of his shooting especially, he could be top 10-15. I cited potential. You are making excuses for the injured guys, too. Bonner is generally healthy which would be another reason why he's a nice big to have on the bench.

AlleyOopNazi
10-29-2010, 02:07 PM
:cry
Leave bonner alone!
lol
Seriously in the minutes he got in preseason and vs Pacers he played well and showed improvement on skills from last yr on the whole.
This is only a negative for the team, Tiago's development into the system shouldn't be affected whatsoever, he can't shoot 3's and has no NBA experience. How is this a gain for Tiago, I would say gain for Simmons and Dice much more.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Weak attempt at sarcasm given that it's...actually true and actually useful.

I also think money is a very relevant aspect to the discussion. We're paying Bonner $3 million. It's only fair to compare him to other $3 million players.

Bonner isn't really a "big man" at heart. He's a guy who can shoot 3s and spread the floor. He's not a Lamar Odom and he never will be.

I'd take Bonner over Dampier, given that we have acquired Splitter. Bonner and Dampier aren't even the same type of player. Forget the salary disparity, they bring very different things to the table.

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I said one of them. I didn't quantify that number. I think, in terms of his shooting especially, he could be top 10. I cited potential. You are making excuses for the injured guys, too. Bonner is generally healthy which would be another reason why he's a nice big to have on the bench.

Bonner is one of the best bigs off the bench excluding the roughly 2/3 that he isn't better than. is that what you meant?

making excuses for the injured guys? Oden and Prizbilla aren't healthy. i'm not making excuses for Camby. Jameson is out iirc. not making excuses for the guys i listed, which btw were off the top of my head. i'm sure there are more names that can be inlcuded.

potential? i'd like to know what else you think he has left in his game.

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:15 PM
hell i'd trade Bonner for Yi Jianlian or Anthony Randolph or Jordan Hill. those guys can be potentially better than him this year and i didn't include them. oh and another guy i forgot to mention was Udonis Haslem, who is def. better than him.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Bonner is one of the best bigs off the bench excluding the roughly 2/3 that he isn't better than.

You think you listed 2/3 of the NBA's bigs off the bench?

You listed roughly 15, and had about 5 of them arguable. That's well within what I meant. I'm also factoring the financial profile - Bonner helps this team by playing for decently cheap.

making excuses for the injured guys? Oden and Prizbilla aren't healthy. i'm not making excuses for Camby. Jameson is out iirc. not making excuses for the guys i listed, which btw were off the top of my head. i'm sure there are more names that can be inlcuded.

I meant, those guys who starters now yet you count them as bench players.

Bonner is a bench player no matter what. Those guys aren't, that's all I was saying.

potential? i'd like to know what else you think he has left in his game.

Could you rephrase?

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Jason Thomson i another guy.

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:17 PM
You think you listed 2/3 of the NBA's bigs off the bench?

You listed roughly 15, and had about 5 of them arguable. That's well within what I meant. I'm also factoring the financial profile - Bonner helps this team by playing for decently cheap.

I meant, those guys who starters now yet you count them as bench players.

Bonner is a bench player no matter what. Those guys aren't, that's all I was saying.

Could you rephrase?

what else do you think he has in his game that he hasn't shown us already

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Experience and knowing Pop's schemes is worth a little something too, I would hope.

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
okay, well if your factoring in the financial aspect, that's something you didn't mention to begin with.

besdies, there isn't a lack of players in the league that have better contracts than him.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM

That..he hasn't shown us?

I don't think anybody is arguing that Bonner has some hidden set of skills that have yet to be seen.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Why do you think potential means a player must grow out and do what he currently cannot?

By potential, I meant live up TO his potential. Including in the playoffs. By most counts, he hasn't yet.

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm barking up everyone's tree who asserts the non-sense we have in this thread. I've seen the "critical thoughts" you've made before, as well - and critical is all they were. You never give Bonner any benefit of the doubt, and blame him for simply being himself.

Your lack of approval for his skillset won't change the way he plays.

Others have already pointed out, in this very thread, why your assertions are inaccurate and biased.

But, you're right, I digress. The hate will continue on as long as posters like you, voted one of the best here, call him a playoff choker and fuel the fires. Then you can call posters like me "sensitive" because I get tired of seeing the same exaggerations and even lies thrown around.

I see Bonner for the player he is - nothing special, but with the potential to be one of the best bench bigmen in the League. Let's RALLY around this guy and prop him up for this season, instead of taking any chance to bring him down and entertain useless past hypotheticals.

You had me Zosa, right up to about that point. In the words of John McEnroe, "you cannot be serious." :lol

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:21 PM
okay, well now your throwing shit into the argument that you made no mention of initially. might want to set the perameters of you argument at first.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:23 PM
You had me Zosa, right up to about that point. In the words of John McEnroe, "you cannot be serious." :lol

Perhaps I was too general, I can concede that. Perhaps I very much am overrating him.

But I do think his shooting and skillset distinguishes him as a very good bench big to have.

Everyone happy now? :lol

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:25 PM

those guys are bench players too. roles change due to injuries and other things. last year, Bonner was in and out of the lineup. same thing is going on with those guys.

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:26 PM
okay, well now your throwing shit into the argument that you made no mention of initially. might want to set the perameters of you argument at first.

It was a general statement, and I was kinda in the fire of posting, y'know?

So no, maybe he can't be "one of the best bench bigs" by most definitions. And I won't argue it. But I still think his contract, and his skillset, and his willingness to work hard and not feel slighted out of more minutes or a bigger role, is worth a lot.

mingus
10-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Perhaps I was too general, I can concede that. Perhaps I very much am overrating him.

But I do think his shooting and skillset distinguishes him as a very good bench big to have.

yeah, because that's what he is. he's a nice player to have come off the bench. when you need three's and someone to spread the floor, he's the guy.

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 02:28 PM

I can't argue any of that.

But you did make me laugh. :lol

AlleyOopNazi
10-29-2010, 02:31 PM
...potential? i'd like to know what else you think he has left in his game.
imagine if he could run a solid fast break lol

z0sa
10-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I can't argue any of that.

But you did make me laugh. :lol

sometimes I can't help my own exaggerations when it comes to defending Bonner :toast

AlleyOopNazi
10-29-2010, 02:41 PM
what players do you expect to get with a decade of consecutive 50 win season in a small market?

MannyIsGod
10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Assuming Tiago can stay healthy.

analyzed
10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Bonner's absence DOES have an affect in Tiago's PT (even if they play different roles). As TD or Blair ( who both play Center and PF) would play additional minutes at the four spot to make up for Bonners loss and as a result additional minutes are freed-up at the center spot for Tiago to take.
So yes there definetly is a domino affect in our bigs PT rotation with the absence of any of our bigs.

Seriously in the minutes he got in preseason and vs Pacers he played well and showed improvement on skills from last yr on the whole.
This is only a negative for the team, Tiago's development into the system shouldn't be affected whatsoever, he can't shoot 3's and has no NBA experience. How is this a gain for Tiago, I would say gain for Simmons and Dice much more.

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Did Bonner roll his ankle on another Spur player? Or did he roll it on his own?

duncan228
10-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Did Bonner roll his ankle on another Spur player? Or did he roll it on his own?

Monroe said he landed on Hill's foot and rolled the ankle.

Gagnrath
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
My Take on Bonner:

Good:

He's got a decent enough shot, especially from 3 range.

He doesn't make stupid turn-overs, (a problem with alot of bench bigs)

When he's on the floor limited minutes he generally plays hard..

He's generally in his assigned position on the floor.

He knows the team and plays fairly intelligently with that knowledge

Bad,

He's borderline physically incapable of playing his position with his speed. This is the main bad

He is assigned to be a catch and shoot long range shooter on offense taking him out of position for offensive boards (mixed blessing he'd be late getting back alot if he was fighting for rebounds)

Because of his slow foot speed, lack of physique, and any sort of timing other post players push him around when he's trying to defend them and guards go around him. Equaling a lack of defensive respect.

He can be mentally taken out of his game and role

Summary he's a situational big in a bad position the last few years. If he is going to be assigned to play large numbers of minutes it should be guarding the other teams least effective offensive big or if their small forward is a spot up shooter only, the small forward. With a dearth of mobile power forwards and centers in the spurs rotation Bonner was asked to play alot of more demanding defensive match-ups than he should have been as well as get more minutes to make up for some other offensive shortcomings.

Duncan does not need a vaccuum of spacing to operate in post dishing to the opposite side for a finish dunk or lay in is always good and effective. The twin towers don't work if duncan needs huge floor space. Its also not like Avery had any type of outside shot so he was a drive player as well much like ton. Is it nice to have a big man who is reasonable as a player come in for 10 or so minutes per game and make the other teams center or power forward chase him around the 3 point line? You bet. Is it required or should it be done for 20+ minutes per night? no and a resounding no unless its being done by a dirk calibre player not a bonner one. Though I argue once again that the main difference between the two is all speed

DJB
10-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Alot of idiots on Spurstalk just loooove to hate on Bonner.

Yeah, Bonner sucks.

daslicer
10-29-2010, 05:22 PM
The sad thing about it is that I don't think Splitter would get minutes if Bonner didn't get hurt. It reminds me of '03 when Steve Smith was in the lineup for the first game of the season and then got hurt thus giving Jax the chance to be a starter. To me that was probably the most important injury the spurs had that year without Smith getting hurt then there is no way Jax starts. I have problem with Pop that he never lets go of his favorites even when they suck ala Finley,Smith, and now Bonner. Some people say his role is only to play 10-15 minutes unfortunately with Pop there will always be the temptation to overplay him and thats exactly what will happen until the day he is officially gone.

Another thing I hate about the Bonner supporters is how they hype of his good games. If you take look all of his good games are usually against crappy teams. This guy historically melts when he plays superior competition he pretty much puts up 2 points, and 2 rebounds in those situations which is pretty shitty. He has been crap the last 2 years in the playoffs thats good enough indication that he just doesn't have it. Also don't use those two games against the suns because he didn't do shit in those games until the spurs were down by good margins where the game wasn't really in reach thus he played better knowing there wasn't any pressure to win these games. He is what I call the anti-Horry.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 05:36 PM
The sad thing about it is that I don't think Splitter would get minutes if Bonner didn't get hurt. It reminds me of '03 when Steve Smith was in the lineup for the first game of the season and then got hurt thus giving Jax the chance to be a starter. To me that was probably the most important injury the spurs had that year without Smith getting hurt then there is no way Jax starts. I have problem with Pop that he never lets go of his favorites even when they suck ala Finley,Smith, and now Bonner. Some people say his role is only to play 10-15 minutes unfortunately with Pop there will always be the temptation to overplay him and thats exactly what will happen until the day he is officially gone.

Another thing I hate about the Bonner supporters is how they hype of his good games. If you take look all of his good games are usually against crappy teams. This guy historically melts when he plays superior competition he pretty much puts up 2 points, and 2 rebounds in those situations which is pretty shitty. He has been crap the last 2 years in the playoffs thats good enough indication that he just doesn't have it. Also don't use those two games against the suns because he didn't do shit in those games until the spurs were down by good margins where the game wasn't really in reach thus he played better knowing there wasn't any pressure to win these games. He is what I call the anti-Horry.

Really? Why not? Splitter and Bonner aren't interchangeable in the slightest. They are completely different types of players.

Splitter is going to vie for minutes partially from Bonner, but also partially from Blair and Dyess as well. Obviously the plan is to have Splitter take pressure off Duncan in the long run if he proves his worth. That's where his minutes are coming from.

Bonner doesn't need to be injured for Splitter to get minutes, he was going to get them anyway. He's not primarily competing with Bonner for minutes because they bring entirely different skills to the table.

KenziE
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM
get well soon matty stop hatin on the dude

its all on POP again as always hes the one whos gonna give tiago playing time period ! has nothing to do with bonner ..

THEO ratliff got more playing time with the bobcats last season and is getting more playing time with the lakes this season than he wud have ever gotten under POP its all POP's call at the end of the day ...that being said still hoping that POP uses TIAGO and not make him a fucking display on the bench

VivaPopovich
10-29-2010, 06:01 PM
yeah and there are a lot of stupid idiots who defend matt bonner cause they want to look cool and different. they think their smart by taking the minority opinion even if its wrong. where were you fake stupid bonner defenders when we got knocked out of playoffs for the last 2 seasons

and your also forgetting about antonio mcdyess. bonners loss is also antonio mcdyess gain. all the hoopla about tiago, who hasnt played 1 single game yet, yet we still have antonio mcdyess, a proven leader, who had a terrific game in the opener, hitting the same type of kick out jumpers that bonner hits AND rebounds and plays defense and ya'll are forgetting about him

bonner lovers, get over yourselves, your not smart

analyzed
10-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Bonner's absence DOES have an affect in Tiago's PT (even if they play different roles). As TD or Blair ( who both play Center and PF) would play additional minutes at the four spot to make up for Bonners loss and as a result additional minutes are freed-up at the center spot for Tiago to take.
So yes there definetly is a domino affect in our bigs PT rotation with the absence of any of our bigs.

Really? Why not? Splitter and Bonner aren't interchangeable in the slightest. They are completely different types of players.

Splitter is going to vie for minutes partially from Bonner, but also partially from Blair and Dyess as well. Obviously the plan is to have Splitter take pressure off Duncan in the long run if he proves his worth. That's where his minutes are coming from.

Bonner doesn't need to be injured for Splitter to get minutes, he was going to get them anyway. He's not primarily competing with Bonner for minutes because they bring entirely different skills to the table.

EricB
10-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Glad to see spurstalk continue to sully it's name by openly being glee over a player getting hurt.

10-29-2010, 09:34 PM
splitter will get a larger share of the minutes that bonner is out. i want to see him become the defensive center the spurs need. they already have the shooter, the hustle rebounder, and the veteran. need that defensive presence in splitter. splitter will get the time he needs to show whether or not he warrants more minutes.

mingus
10-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Glad to see spurstalk continue to sully it's name by openly being glee over a player getting hurt.

"sully" "glee" lol. Gtfo.

rayray2k8
10-30-2010, 02:11 AM
"sully" "glee" lol. Gtfo.

:lol
You would think that he would make an argument, but all he really does is bitch about our bitching.

analyzed
10-30-2010, 03:13 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/10/29/mcdyess-braces-for-expanded-role/

silverblk mystix
10-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Bonner sucks.

Those who are defending him are still in denial-after Bonner has shown you his true suckiness for years and choked in the playoffs.

I don't like to see any player injured on ANY team-this isn't about celebrating an injury.
This is about pointing out that Bonner OUT of the lineup is a good thing for the spurs.

The fact that the front office decided to re-sign this piece of shit is as bad a stain as the Scola fiasco, S.Jackson fiasco,etc...

The fact that the spurs went on a run against the pacers immediately AFTER bonner exited the game is obvious-unless you want to remain in denial.
The fact that there is even a question -of somebody possibly celebrating a spurs players injury-is a direct result of how much him leaving the game improved the spurs.

EVERY single minute that Bonner plays is ROBBING someone more deserving of minutes.

If you feel sorry for Bonner because of the hate he gets-just try to remember that Bonner is a multimillionaire who gets to have a pretty damned charmed life-even though he is one of the worst so-called big men in the NBA.

DPG21920
10-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Isn't this all moot because Tiago could very well miss the same amount of time as Bonner?

angelbelow
10-30-2010, 02:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/report#notes_quotes

"I would expect he'll be beating my door down."

—Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, on the reaction he anticipates from injured forward Tiago Splitter if he's held out of a second consecutive game Saturday night because of a strained right calf.

Does this imply that Tiago is ready to go and theyre holding him out as a precaution? Sounds like it to me.

itzsoweezee
10-30-2010, 03:46 PM
The Bonner hate is well deserved.

Re-watch his performance in the playoffs.

daslicer
10-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Bonner sucks.
If you feel sorry for Bonner because of the hate he gets-just try to remember that Bonner is a multimillionaire who gets to have a pretty damned charmed life-even though he is one of the worst so-called big men in the NBA.

Thats exactly what I told my bro last night when he asked me if I took joy out of seeing him hurt. My response was that its not like I'm wishing serious harm on the guy that I want to see him crippled and besides the guy is a multimillionaire so its not the end of the world if he can't play. Its not everyday people besides bankers can suck ass at their job and still make millions. Bonner is one of those blessed people who can do that so I don't feel any pain for him when he is out with an injury. He just straight up sucks no way anybody can spin it the guy is terrible. On his best days he's mediocre and on his worst he is a YMCA player.

JustinJDW
10-30-2010, 07:26 PM
It has nothing to do with Bonner, I just don't like 6'10 big men that can only shoot but can't play a lick of damn defense and can't rebound worth jack shit. That's kinda the whole point in being a big man. And he only plays good against the crappy teams.

If you're a big man and can shoot, that's fine, but that should be a bonus, not your main game. Now if Bonner played good defense and crashed the boards hard and showed up against the best teams and in the Playoffs, (Rasheed Wallace), I would love him.

But he doesn't. He's just shoots 3's, and I don't like that. Nobody really should. And he's certainly not the type of big men that deserves plenty of minutes. He shouldn't ever play over 12 minutes. EVER! He's just a specialist player.

dunkman
10-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Pop knows why they need him and RC knows what it costs to get a bigman veteran role player in the NBA. 4 championships prove they know what are doing.

Bonner bashing has no sense and it's disgusting being injured. If he were able to play better or more consistent his contract would have been much higher too.

HarlemHeat37
10-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Whether you hate him or not, Bonner's absence was felt tonight..he usually plays well vs. the Hornets(at least from what I remember), and his spacing would have been useful..he also couldn't have played worse D than Blair tonight, and the Spurs' needed big men depth..

Bonner is a massive choker and completely useless in the playoffs, but he's still good to have during the regular season when the players in front of him are playing poorly and the Spurs need some kind of spark..

analyzed
11-06-2010, 11:33 PM
So much for it being a gain for Simmons.. LOL.
Seriously Bonner'r's coming back soon, this should allow Dice who is playing extended minutes some rest. Hopefully it dosen't affect Splitter's steady increase of PT and learning curve to learn the system

Leave bonner alone!
lol