PDA

View Full Version : 'Melo leaving. Where to?

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Summary: He's gone already

Carmelo Anthony acknowledged after Denver's season-opening victory Wednesday that he still doesn't intend to sign a contract extension and that it might be time for him and the Nuggets to go their separate ways.

If I do nothing now, I'm never going to do anything. I feel like my time is now to make a decision if I want to leave or if I want to stay.

-- Carmelo Anthony
Speaking to Yahoo! Sports after scoring 23 points in Denver's 110-88 win over Utah, Anthony said he's looking at his future -- and the Nuggets don't appear to be part of it.

Management wants "to sit down and talk, but my thing is it's way beyond this year," he told Yahoo! Sports. "It ain't got nothing to do with the new GM [Masai Ujiri], Josh [Kroenke, team president], the players. For me, I feel it's a time for change.

"If I do nothing now, I'm never going to do anything. I feel like my time is now to make a decision if I want to leave or if I want to stay."

The Nuggets' $65 million offer of an extension has been on the table for months. If Anthony plays out the season in Denver, he would headline the 2011 free-agent class. In the meantime, the Nuggets have until the February trade deadline to deal him.

NBA Hall of Famer Bill Walton tells 1050's Michael Kay that he does not think Carmelo Anthony has what it takes to be a great player.

Appearing on ESPN Radio on Tuesday, Anthony reminded everyone that he has always wanted to keep his options open.

"But as far as the money that's on the table, I understand the money that's on the table. I understand it's a lot," he said on "The Scott Van Pelt Show." "But it's more than the money. Right now I'm here, I'm with the Nuggets."

lefty
10-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Nuggets better let him go nest summer to free some cap space

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2010, 08:22 AM
that'd probably be wise option. no point having a player on your list who doesn't feel best there

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I still say let him go to Cleveland for their trade exception, he could boost his image going there. A deal could be done, even if another piece is required. he would help NY or NJ as well. We await the "mini decision".

Ashy Larry
10-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Sasha, Luke and Ratliff for 'Melo. Nuggets get two back-to-back champions and a great defender who's in his prime

Giuseppe
10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
^& Luke deserves it.

JamStone
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Sasha, Luke and Ratliff for 'Melo. Nuggets get two back-to-back champions and a great defender who's in his prime

Obviously you're referring to Sasha.

Did anyone else chuckle when (I believe it was) Pau called Sasha something like "a great defender" in the ring ceremony intros? I'll give him pesky, but I found it amusing to give Sasha much more than feigning praise for his defense.

j.dizzle
10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
If Melo leaves its gonna be to a city on the East Coast that starts with New. His wife got him by the balls.

Texas_Ranger
10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
They better trade him to New Jersey so he can play for a shitty team.

history2b
10-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Orlando would be his best bet but they don't have what Denver would want unless they get a 3rd team involved.

Basketballgirl25
10-29-2010, 01:32 PM
They better trade him to New Jersey so he can play for a shitty team.

I think you mean he better go to Knicks then, because with Melo Nets would be a whole lot better, without Melo we got nice young pieces. So win-win for Nets, for Knicks it's try to get the best player out there at any time and hope it happens. Nets don't really need to hope for anything if it happens great, if not wait a few years and they will be a better team:toast

Fpoonsie
10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I think you mean he better go to Knicks then, because with Melo Nets would be a whole lot better, ...

...burn?

z0sa
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Obviously you're referring to Sasha.

Did anyone else chuckle when (I believe it was) Pau called Sasha something like "a great defender" in the ring ceremony intros? I'll give him pesky, but I found it amusing to give Sasha much more than feigning praise for his defense.

Don't get TheMACHINE started ..

MiamiHeat
10-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I am very glad to see the players taking matters into their own hands now

duncan228
10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Bill Walton: “Carmelo does not have what it takes to be the great player” (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/29/bill-walton-carmelo-does-not-have-what-it-takes-to-be-the-great-player/)
Kurt Helin

Bill Walton and top basketball statistician agree on something. Excuse me for a minute while I relocate myself to my underground bunker.

New York Knicks fans are still living in the Carmelo Anthony fantasy land, picturing him and Amare Stoudemire as two-thirds of the powerhouse trio they need to return to glory in the East.

Walton was on ESPN 1050 in New York (http://espn.go.com/new-york/) and was asked about pairing Anthony and Stoudemire, He’s not a fan, as you can hear in this podcast (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5738075) clip.

Carmelo, to me, does not have what it takes to be the great player. He puts up nice numbers, he makes a great salary, the media, publicity all likes him, but does he win the games? Does he make the squad better? Does he pull guys together?

It hasn’t happened in Denver at all. I’m a big Amare Stoudemire fan, I will hold my tongue on Carmelo.

That’s holding your tongue?

Remember that Tom Haberstroh — a stats guru that works for ESPN as well as at Hoopdata — wrote a column (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/05/is-carmelo-anthony-an-elite-player/) saying Anthony is not an efficient enough player right now to be elite. Another report said the reason he is not efficient is he takes too many contested jumpers and that hurts his efficiency. He has played with top players before — Chauncey Billups right now for one — and that pattern hasn’t changed.

So no matter how you get there — statistics or whatever it is that is rattling around in Walton’s head — there are a lot of questions to answer about how good a fit Anthony really is in New York. Not that it would stop Knicks fans from pulling the trigger on a deal.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
:lmao Walton.

You think Amare is that type of player, but Melo isn't? :lol

Look at the Nuggets record since Melo was drafted, of course he wins games you moron :drunk

I will agree that he doesn't always make his teammates better, but he is still one hell of a player.

Ghazi
10-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Dallas