PDA

View Full Version : Quotes about Manu

lefty
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm sure this had been posted long time ago, since it's a Spurs forum.

http://www.jockbio.com/Banners/clear.gif

“The one thing you notice, right off the bat, is the energy Manu plays with. He gives up his body to help the team.”
—Teammate Brent Barry

“I love Manu. He makes the game difficult to play. He makes the game difficult to defend. He makes it difficult to referee. You want him on your side.”
—Nuggets head coach George Karl

“Ginobili is a different species. He’s the first international player who brings athletic explosiveness to the equation. He can attack the rim, but what strikes me is that he’s such a great defensive player.”
—Pacers head coach Rick Carlisle

“He’s an excellent player. The main factor in his success is his confidence.”
—Former NBA All-Star Rolando Blackman

“He gives me a stomach ache. He’s got an edge to him, a real presence.”
—Former NBA head coach Rudy Tomjanovich

“He’s the kind of guy who wants the ball in pressure situations, and if he doesn’t get it, he looks over at the coach like, ‘Don’t you know I’m here?’”
—Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich

“He was just a young skinny guy who looked like a winner. We didn’t know he was going to be as good as he is.”
—Popovich

“Manu makes everybody better. He’ll take a charge with three fouls. He can play team D, individual D, shoot it, pass it, drive it.”
—Popovich

“He’s just hell-bent for leather, absolutely all-out. He plays with a ferocity at both ends of the court that’s very unique. Coaches love that stuff.”
—Popovich

“He brings in a personality that’s not the norm. He adds the little bit of spice you need in the pot.’
—Popovich

“I love watching him play.”
—Nuggets All-Star Carmelo Anthony

“He has developed leadership in a lot of areas.”
—Spurs GM R.C. Buford

“He’s a non-stop goof guy.”
—Argentine star Pepe Sanchez

“He’s a great guy.”
—Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe

“He’s a very confident player, such a great shooter from outside. He’s so quick with this first step in getting past you. He takes charges and gets his hands on a lot of basketballs. He has led his team to the gold medal, so you don’t have any higher standards than he has had”
—Former NBA head coach Jim O’Brien

“Playing with Manu, it’s like playing with my brother.”
—Teammate Tony Parker

“You can hit him in the first quarter or the fourth quarter. It don’t matter. Not him. That kid ain’t stopping.”
—Nuggets All-Star Kenyon Martin

“I wish he was on our team. He’s a terrific player. I can’t take anything away from him.”
—NBA veteran Marcus Camby

“He puts his head down and he goes, and we pray for the best.”
—Spurs All-Star Tim Duncan

“That's just the way that guy plays, always going hard, diving, jumping, doing whatever he has to do. He has a lot of energy, that's for sure.”
—Teammate Robert Horry

“What he does, when someone bodies him or puts an arm on his head, his head always flops. So then his hair goes wild, and it looks like someone just murdered him.”
—All-Star Ray Allen

“Everything he does is aimed at winning. He might make some interesting attempts, but he is not doing it for show.”
—All-Star Steve Nash

“He's one of those guys, who, at age 50, won't be able to walk.” :lol
—Sonics head coach Nate McMillan

Libri
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
“I wish he was on our team. He’s a terrific player. I can’t take anything away from him.”
—NBA veteran Marcus Camby

I remember this quote. I think this was after Manu had a monster game against the Nuggets. It was a memorable performance.

Nathan89
10-29-2010, 11:21 AM
“Everything he does is aimed at winning. He might make some interesting attempts, but he is not doing it for show.”
—All-Star Steve Nash

I like this one the most.

Pauleta14
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
—Teammate Tony Parker

Great quote that I really don't remember... When did he say that?

Anyway, great thread idea Lefty! :toast

We should do the same for Timmy and Tony!

DrSteffo
10-29-2010, 11:26 AM
:toast My favourite is "He's Manu Ginobili" but need to watch it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU-wXsRhic&feature=related

Pauleta14
10-29-2010, 11:34 AM
:toast My favourite is "He's Manu Ginobili" but need to watch it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU-wXsRhic&feature=related

It's probably the best and most famous quote about him!
The one that will last...

DrSteffo
10-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Pop is great for quotes and a great coach too regardless of what the haters say.

beachwood
10-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Definitely the greatest quote about Manu. Eventually it'll be carved in stone somewhere.

DrSteffo
10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm a Swedish viking so I will carve it in stone here :)

wildbill2u
10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Before Ginobilli, Geroge Gervin was the flashiest most exciting Spur and James Silas, the redoubtable Captain Late was the guy who was the best and most reliable closer in the final seconds for a win.

But all that was B.G. (Before Ginobilli). Manu synthecizes the best of both and adds defense and 3pt ability. There is NO One like him in Spurs history.

hater
10-29-2010, 12:05 PM
my favorite:

"He doesn't beleive in God? He will burn in hell. I feel sorry for him."- AngelLuv

lefty
10-29-2010, 12:06 PM
my favorite:

"He doesn't beleive in God? He will burn in hell. I feel sorry for him."- AngelLuv
:lol

DBMethos
10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
“What he does, when someone bodies him or puts an arm on his head, his head always flops. So then his hair goes wild, and it looks like someone just murdered him.”

Butthurt much, Ray Ray?

phxspurfan
10-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Manu was Kobe's fav player to watch...I don't have a quote but he said it on TNT I think

ALVAREZ6
10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
No one's posted Chuck yet?? :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxdfd5ZOsj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSCLDiw-HJM

"If Ginobili don't make the all-star team, I'm not departin'"

And for those of you that haven't seen this or remember this, if interested, worth watching haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMX3niqRi-s&feature=related

Feel free to embed any of these, or someone just explain it to me by now goddamnit

lefty
10-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Butthurt much, Ray Ray?

He probably said that during the 2005 Playoffs :p:

Manu was Kobe's fav player to watch...I don't have a quote but he said it on TNT I think
Yep

ALVAREZ6
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Chuck:

"What was I screamin in the green room tonight Kenny, and you made fun of me last week?"

"I'm hungry?" -Kenny

"Guh-no-blee!"

DrSteffo
10-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Before Ginobilli, Geroge Gervin was the flashiest most exciting Spur and James Silas, the redoubtable Captain Late was the guy who was the best and most reliable closer in the final seconds for a win.

But all that was B.G. (Before Ginobilli). Manu synthecizes the best of both and adds defense and 3pt ability. There is NO One like him in Spurs history.

Agreed. BTW George Gervin's son Gee Gervin plays on my Swedish team Norrköping Dolphins (Swedish champions last season). He is flashy like his dad.

jestersmash
10-29-2010, 12:54 PM
my favorite:

Wow is this for real?

So Ginobili is a smart man for not believing in things for which there isn't sufficient testable, verifiable evidence. My respect for Ginobili has just gone up even more if this is the case.

I like it when people are honest about their beliefs and believe things for which they have good, rational/logical reasons for doing so.

Matches Malone
10-29-2010, 03:56 PM
“Manu Ginobili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game, there is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient off the dribble as he is off the pass, going left and right and any spot from on the floor.”
Houston Forward Shane Battier

Matches Malone
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
"That’s a bad boy right there. I have so much respect for his game. He’s an incredible competitor. I enjoy playing against him. He’s a fantastic two-guard”
Kobe on his documentary “Kobe Doin’ Work” on ESPN the other night.

"The drummer that he marches to sometimes is a little bit different. He never ceases to amaze me and he just did it again. The legend grows. It's incredible on Halloween night. You would call someone a liar if they told you that story."
Coach Greg Popovich on Manu swatting a bat last Halloween night

jag
10-29-2010, 04:10 PM
"Ginobili during the regular season kneed me in the crotch on purpose. I just hope the league takes a look at it and cleans the game up a little bit.”

-Amare Stoudemire

Matches Malone
10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
"Manu is such a special player. When I first saw him play, I had the same reaction Gregg Popovich had in San Antonio in 2003 – 'what's this?'"
Former Virtus Bologan coach Ettore Messina

"I don't want to compare Marko to Tony Parker, but for Manu, Tony's game is something he has seen before. The only category Manu had to work on offensively was assists. But his passing became as daring and as creative as his drives."

"He has a rare quality of mastering each environment he enters quickly."

"Every time we hit a rough spot during a game, I say the same thing to my assistants. This year, we were being pounded in the Italian League semifinals' fifth and deciding game by Milan, and I called a timeout. I noticed everyone was tense, so I brought out our favorite line amongst the staff: 'Is Manu arriving soon?'"
Former Benetton Treviso coach Ettore Messina - He is with Real Madrid nowadays.

SenorSpur
10-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Well said, WildBill.

Way to hold it down for the old school.

Well said, indeed. :toast

phxspurfan
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
"Manu is such a special player. When I first saw him play, I had the same reaction Gregg Popovich had in San Antonio in 2003 – 'what's this?'"

Quick off-topic question: If anyone has seen any Kinder jerseys of Manu, please let me know. I was looking for one awhile back but never found one...

MmP
10-29-2010, 10:58 PM
some great quotes i didn't know carmelo admires him

honestly to this day i keep waiting to fin a player that excites me as much as manu on his first dazzling years with crazy plays.

TinTin
10-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Wasn't there a quote where the nuggets (I think kmart) admitted to try and foul the shit out of him but he just wouldn't go down?

spurs10
10-30-2010, 01:20 AM
It's probably the best and most famous quote about him!
The one that will last...
Un*)&)(*) believably badass! I love reading all these quotes and seeing Pop's quintessential remark will never get old. Thanks Lefty...great idea!:toast:flag::lobt2:

spurs10
10-30-2010, 01:31 AM
We've all probably said it before, but man are we lucky.....I'm going to loves this year...however it turns out, you know they are going for it with all they got...

Yorae
10-30-2010, 02:10 AM
—Teammate Tony Parker

I don't think he meant this as a complement hahaha. :p:

hitmanyr2k
10-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Chuck:

"What was I screamin in the green room tonight Kenny, and you made fun of me last week?"

"I'm hungry?" -Kenny

"Guh-no-blee!"

Best TNT moment ever :lol