PDA

View Full Version : MBA in healthcare management

heatluva
10-30-2010, 12:39 PM
anybody have any experience in this field? what's the different between this, and HIT? (healthcare information technology)

heatluva
10-30-2010, 01:06 PM
actually..fuck it while we're on the subject..any information in the area of MBA specializations would be greatly appreciated..there are so many areas of specialization it's hard to find the right one for me

MannyIsGod
10-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Do specializations even help you more than they hurt you? I know shit about MBAs but I think specializations are pointless unless you have a specific job lined up.

heatluva
10-30-2010, 01:48 PM
that could be the case if your particular area of concentration got hit hard by the economy..but isn't what you just described a little backwards? i mean for example, you'd have to be working on your MBA in healthcare administration before you were offered an assistant managerial position at the hospital, not vice versa. i got to looking up all the different possibilities of an MBA and it was mind blowing. i really don't know where to start or which direction to go in. too many possibilities and i'm not very good at making life altering decisions on a whim, but i'm running out of time.

ashbeeigh
10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Are you more interested in the health care aspect or the business aspect? I always thought it was a better idea to get a Masters of Health Administration if health care is what you are particularly interested on. But, if its more the MBA that your interested in I'm not help.

heatluva
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
its actually an MS in healthcare administration which falls under the college of business that my school is offering, and the reason i'd rather do that instead of going outside the business school is because i don't want to lose everything i've already done towards my business degree. really don't feel like starting over

heatluva
10-30-2010, 02:29 PM
my dilemma is that i was kind of leaning towards accounting, but i saw all these other options for concentrations at the graduate level and how much bank people make in healthcare admin/management and started to question if i'd rather concentrate in something else at the grad school level. in which case i wouldn't major in accounting for my undergrad because an accounting degree without a CPA is kind of pointless.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2010, 03:02 PM
My father was sent to USC after Vietnam to get his MBA in medical administration. This was after doing air ambulance in the early part of the war. I miss him but he always seemed very unhappy. Not sure if it was the war, his job or both.

I was trained to hate finance and administration so I myself would not be much help.

Jekka
10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
its actually an MS in healthcare administration which falls under the college of business that my school is offering, and the reason i'd rather do that instead of going outside the business school is because i don't want to lose everything i've already done towards my business degree. really don't feel like starting over

Are you already in an MBA program, then? It's not like a masters wipes out your bachelors (or even a previous masters).

My advice would be to try to find an internship at a hospital and get some real experience with it before you get too entrenched in the classes - or set up a couple of interviews with hospital administrators, etc. Talk to your school's career services or department heads - odds are they can put you in contact with alumni who already have these degrees, are in the field, and can answer your questions better than most of the people on this forum.

heatluva
10-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Are you already in an MBA program, then? It's not like a masters wipes out your bachelors (or even a previous masters).

My advice would be to try to find an internship at a hospital and get some real experience with it before you get too entrenched in the classes - or set up a couple of interviews with hospital administrators, etc. Talk to your school's career services or department heads - odds are they can put you in contact with alumni who already have these degrees, are in the field, and can answer your questions better than most of the people on this forum.

naw im just working on finishing my bachelors in the next year and a half, hence why i still haven't made any major decisions.

going back to what ashbeigh said, what are the prereqs for an MHA? can someone with a business degree even apply for that program?

Jekka
10-30-2010, 03:32 PM
naw im just working on finishing my bachelors in the next year and a half, hence why i still haven't made any major decisions.

going back to what ashbeigh said, what are the prereqs for an MHA? can someone with a business degree even apply for that program?

Prereqs, most of the time, are on a department by department basis. Coming from a business background, I doubt there would be any prereqs that you wouldn't meet, but again, that's the school's prerogative. If you are looking at staying at the same school for your graduate work, then you've already got the necessary resources at your fingertips, and you should use them. If you want to go to a different school, then you'll have to research the individual programs.

heatluva
10-30-2010, 03:38 PM
thanks a lot for your info it is greatly appreciated and i'm in the process of checking into these things. anything else you got feel free to add it's all appreciated and noted.

The Reckoning
10-30-2010, 05:09 PM
lol heatluva banned

i guess he just wasn't doing it right, no surprise..