View Full Version : San Antonio #4 on list of large cities at water risk

boutons_deux
10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
4. San Antonio, Texas

Major Water Supply: various ground water sources
Population (U.S. rank): 1,373,668 (7th)
Population Growth Rate: 20% since 2000
Average annual rainfall: 30.24 in.

Bexar County, Texas, where San Antonio is located, possesses the highest rating given by the Natural Resources Defense Council with regards to water sustainability. This means that the area is at extremely high risk for water demand exceeding supply by 2050 if no major systematic changes are made. As most surface water from lakes and rivers in Texas have already been claimed by varying districts across Texas, most counties are now looking at groundwater to meet future demand. San Antonio has attempted to secure water from a number of Texas groundwater conservation districts. Due to legal obstacles,this has proven to be difficult. Today, many experts, including members of the Texas Water Development Board, recommend undertaking a major project to ensure future sustainability, such as a desalination plant on the Gulf Coast.

Read more: The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/10/29/the-ten-great-american-cities-that-are-dying-of-thirst/3/#ixzz13xZD2VxP

=========

What to do?

DarkReign
10-31-2010, 01:06 PM
I find the water shortages in Arizona funny, too. Reminds me of the Sam Kinison skit...

Skip to 4:55

K1GjyrQiSRs

Try that when thinking about water shortages.

boutons_deux
10-31-2010, 01:13 PM
The southwest from SA to the Pacific, all the cities are at risk.

Running out of oil and water, across the planet. I'm holding my breath until the plutocracy leads us to solutions to the problems of unsustainable lifestyles.

Parker2112
10-31-2010, 02:07 PM
the solution is at hand. depopulation is the main goal for radical progressives.

"Depopulation should be the highest priority of foreign policy towards the third world, because the US economy will require large and increasing amounts of minerals from abroad, especially from less developed countries”.
Dr. Henry Kissinger

"Childbearing should be a punishable crime against society, unless the parents hold a government license. All potential parents should be required to use contraceptive chemicals, the government issuing antidotes to citizens chosen for childbearing.”
David Brower, first Executive Director of the Sierra Club

“A total world population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal.”
Ted Turner, in an interview with Audubon magazine

“There is a single theme behind all our work–we must reduce population levels. Either governments do it our way, through nice clean methods, or they will get the kinds of mess that we have in El Salvador, or in Iran or in Beirut. Population is a political problem. Once population is out of control, it requires authoritarian government, even fascism, to reduce it….”
“Our program in El Salvador didn’t work. The infrastructure was not there to support it. There were just too goddamned many people…. To really reduce population, quickly, you have to pull all the males into the fighting and you have to kill significant numbers of fertile age females….” The quickest way to reduce population is through famine, like in Africa, or through disease like the Black Death….
Thomas Ferguson, State Department Office of Population Affairs

ChumpDumper
10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
the solution is at hand. depopulation is the main goal for radical progressives.Already taken care of in SA with the fluoridation.

DarkReign
10-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Running out of oil and water, across the planet. I'm holding my breath until the plutocracy leads us to solutions to the problems of unsustainable lifestyles.

The southwest, hmmm.

Im having a hard time finding that on my map...

Lemme see...

http://howtotravelamerica.com/climate_map.jpg

The southwest you say? Is that the Midlatitude Desert climate or is it the Semiarid Steppe climate?

Shucks Im just not good at these things, you know? Where Im from you cant walk in one direction for more than two miles before youre going to need a raft or hope someone built a bridge.

You can dig with your hands to water in some places near the coasts, its crazy!

Parker2112
10-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Already taken care of in SA with the fluoridation.

Flouridation is all about the coercive expression of govt influence over a mindless flock of general public who cant think for themselves, and who dont have time to research the issue. And the longer the leash, the longer the dog will stray. Needless to say the leash for govt broke a long time ago.

For the record, and following our prior thread:
Does fluoride kill? No.

Does fluoride present excessive risk to vulnerable populations? Does Fluoride dosing happen at a level that is harmful for infants? Diabetics? Folks with kidney/liver problems? Yes yes yes and yes.

Is it constitutional? No.

Does it result in fluorosis for some segment of kids? Yes.

Is it worth spending tax dollars for? No.

Is it part of some plan to depopulate? No.

Is it a cost effective mechanism to prevent pollution hot spots and reduce operating costs for domestic aluminum and fertilizer corps? Yes

Is it ethical? FUCK NO.

Step off me, Chump. You already knew the score. :wakeup

Parker2112
10-31-2010, 03:20 PM
The southwest, hmmm.

Im having a hard time finding that on my map...

Lemme see...

http://howtotravelamerica.com/climate_map.jpg

The southwest you say? Is that the Midlatitude Desert climate or is it the Semiarid Steppe climate?

Shucks Im just not good at these things, you know? Where Im from you cant walk in one direction for more than two miles before youre going to need a raft or hope someone built a bridge.

You can dig with your hands to water in some places near the coasts, its crazy!

do you understand the difference between CLIMATE and WEATHER? Answer: no.

jack sommerset
10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Another reason illegals need to be shipped out. They're drinking our water!!

BlairForceDejuan
10-31-2010, 04:25 PM

Instead of your progressive authoritarian wetdream of $10 gas and forced water rations, I'd much rather just wait until we actually have to fight over resources and then watch you all come at us bros.

boutons_deux
10-31-2010, 05:46 PM
From San Antonio to SoCol coast the avg rainfall classifies that entire region as semi-desert or desert. 33"/year for SA down to 8"-11"for Phoenix and San Diego.

SoCal exists on water imported from NoCal and the badly depleted Colorado river, which is nothing but useless brine by the time it enters Mexico.

boutons_deux
11-01-2010, 06:33 AM
And SAWS reacts to the serious threat to SA water supply:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/saws_rate_hikes_aimed_at_reining_in_water_use_1064 25243.html?showFullArticle=y

DarkReign
11-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Do I understand the difference between areas of the world with ample water supplies and those without? Yes.

MannyIsGod
11-01-2010, 11:31 AM

It appears you don't because that has no relevance here.

Parker2112
11-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Do I understand the difference between areas of the world with ample water supplies and those without? Yes.

So SA has ample water?

MannyIsGod
11-01-2010, 12:22 PM
SA has ample water for the time being - the problem has nothing to do with its climate and everything to do with its exploding population and aquifer.

CosmicCowboy
11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
SA has ample water for the time being - the problem has nothing to do with its climate and everything to do with its exploding population and aquifer.

It actually has to do with the Federally mandated pumping limit of 628 on the aquifer. There's still plenty of water below that to get by between even the worst recharge cycles but the comal springs would quit flowing like they did in the 50's.

MannyIsGod
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not talking about why we have restrictions. I'm talking about the long term prospects for San Antonio's water. But yes, you're right that the whole reason there are water restrictions is to protect those little creatures in the springs.

RandomGuy
11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Flouridation is all about the coercive expression of govt influence over a mindless flock of general public who cant think for themselves, and who dont have time to research the issue. And the longer the leash, the longer the dog will stray. Needless to say the leash for govt broke a long time ago.

For the record, and following our prior thread:
Does fluoride kill? No.

Does fluoride present excessive risk to vulnerable populations? Does Fluoride dosing happen at a level that is harmful for infants? Diabetics? Folks with kidney/liver problems? Yes yes yes and yes.

Is it constitutional? No.

Does it result in fluorosis for some segment of kids? Yes.

Is it worth spending tax dollars for? No.

Is it part of some plan to depopulate? No.

Is it a cost effective mechanism to prevent pollution hot spots and reduce operating costs for domestic aluminum and fertilizer corps? Yes

Is it ethical? FUCK NO.

Step off me, Chump. You already knew the score. :wakeup

Ninja please. You never even made anything but the most half-assed attempts to substantiate the hard scientific claims. The only thing you proved is that you can do self-congratulatory back-slapping like nobody's business.

Try not to break yer arm, kid, sheesh.

ChumpDumper
11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
lol Parker2112 can't take a joke either.

RandomGuy
11-01-2010, 12:55 PM
... and before you go trying to "prove" something with one study, you have to remember the most important aspect of scientific publishing: reproducibility.

If the evidence for negative effects is as clear as you posit, it should not be hard at all to produce a few good peer-reviewed studies.

Given that people who think like you do have had DECADES to produce something more than a small handful of things, the fact that you have yet to definitively nail down your more extra-ordinary claims speaks volumes.

Parker2112
11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
lol Parker2112 can't take a joke either.

More like its always a good time to spread tha word...

ChumpDumper
11-01-2010, 01:19 PM
More like its always a good time to spread tha word...More like it's always a good time to throw a tantrum.

Parker2112
11-01-2010, 01:20 PM
words words...Im smarter than the dead guy...words words...Im smarter than our servicemen...words words...Im a conceited prick...words words....I know jack shit about shit...words words...

Parker2112
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
More like it's always a good time to throw a tantrum.

:ihit

Cry Havoc
11-01-2010, 01:32 PM
:lmao at someone thinking they can pick a random fight about weather with Manny and have any traction*.

*aside from me of course, cause that fockin' thing was starting to go annular. :P

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
dont jump the gun with the desal plant like my state down here in australia

lol states supplies was hovering around 33% and on water restrictions lvl across the state :( ...then they went ahead and build a desal plant at $3b and rising costs :( not even finish yet...then the rich bastards who had land started tappin into underground water aquifer lol....

then the rain came this year...now dam is back up to 50% and desal plant still being built

Supergirl
11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
link won't let me read it without giving them my information. that makes them suspect. do you have a valid journalistic source?

RandomGuy
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
[RG is a concieted prick who thinks he is smarter than everybody]

I am smarter than a lot of people, but that is beside the point. :toast