PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Hornets - Oct. 30

timvp
10-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Hornets (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-game-thoughts/game-thoughts-spurs-vs-hornets/)
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-game-thoughts/game-thoughts-spurs-vs-hornets/

By LJ Ellis (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/author/ljellis/)
San Antonio Dispatch (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com)

The offensive fireworks of opening night were too good to be true. Against the New Orleans Hornets on Friday in the AT&T Center, the San Antonio Spurs proved once again that winning consistently with offense alone won’t be an option. The Spurs fired blanks from long-range and their defense had severe difficulties slowing the Hornets.

Up until halftime, the game was closely contested. However, soon after the third quarter began, things fell apart. In a four-minute span at the start of the third, the Hornets went on a 15-2 run to take a 12-point lead. Their lead grew to 18 points when Marcus Thornton hit a jumper one minute into the final stanza.

To San Antonio’s credit, there wasn’t any quit. A small lineup of George Hill, Gary Neal, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair got the Spurs back into it. In fact, Jefferson missed a three-pointer with a minute and a half remaining that could have tied the game.

But on this night, the Hornets played better and deserved the 99-90 victory. For the good guys, the bottom line is they need to begin showing some defensive mettle or else any championship hopes will go up in smoke.

Tim Duncan
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tim-duncan.jpg
27 mins (-3), 7 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
2-for-10 from the field, 3-for-4 from the line
As well as Tim Duncan played in the first game of the season, that was about as poorly as he played against the Hornets. Most of his offensive struggles occurred in the paint. While New Orleans defended him well at times, Duncan also missed a number of chip shots he always cashes in. On defense, he was decent in the first half, however Duncan’s second half help defense was a step or two slow. As a result, he watched the game from the bench for the final 13 minutes. Let’s hope as the season continues that we see a lot more Game 1s than Game 2s.

Manu Ginobili
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/manu-ginobili.jpg
37 mins (-4), 23 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
8-for-19 from the field, 2-for-11 on three-pointers, 5-for-5 at the line
Manu Ginobili has now shot 20 three-pointers in the season’s first two games. That number is simply too high. He’s moving well and can get to the basket when he tries, so there really isn’t an excuse to be shooting that many shots from the perimeter. On Saturday, Ginobili was having a difficult night until he played a staring role in the fourth quarter comeback. Down the stretch, the Argentine star played a determined, hard-nosed style of basketball. More of that during the meat of the game would have really helped.

Tony Parker
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tony-parker.jpg
27 mins (-11), 13 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers
5-for-10 from the field, 3-for-3 at the line
Fresh off of signing a four-year contract extension, Tony Parker came out of the gates playing well. He was a bit sloppy but he was helping the team in the first half. In particular, his defense against Chris Paul was very good. The second half was a different story. He missed all four shots and Paul was lighting him up on the other end. Pop subbed Parker out with one minute remaining in the third quarter — and Parker never stepped foot on the court again. The Spurs can’t afford for their starting point guard to have a mid-game massive slump. As we witnessed, Parker struggling can lead to a team-wide collapse.

Richard Jefferson
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/richard-jefferson.jpg
33 mins (-3), 18 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover
7-for-11 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers, 3-for-5 at the line
If there was a bright spot against New Orleans, it was the play of Richard Jefferson. To put it simply, Jefferson played how the Spurs imagined when the trade was made. Although he didn’t get a ton of touches, he took advantage of just about every touch. When he was open, he shot the ball. When he faced an off-balance defender, he took the ball to the hole. I was most impressed with his mental toughness. He went long stretches without seeing the ball and didn’t fade into the background like he often did last season. Defensively, he didn’t get tested much but Jefferson was fairly impressive on that end as well.

DeJuan Blair
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/dejuan-blair.jpg
38 mins (-6), 4 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, 3 turnover
2-for-10 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers
DeJuan Blair had his second straight sub par game as he continues to start at power forward. On offense, Blair is rushing too much and is making potentially easy shots more difficult. He also seems to be second-guessing on all of his offensive touches. Defensively, he got his hands on a ton of balls and was very active. That said, he got schooled by David West in one-on-one situations. Overall, Blair played better later in the game but we’re still waiting for him to look comfortable in his starting role.

George Hill
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/george-hill.jpg
27 mins (+3), 6 points, 7 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block
2-for-7 from the field, 0-for-4 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 at the line
I’m starting to worry about George Hill’s outside shooting. He’s hesitating to shoot and even when he does shoot, his mechanics look a lot worse than last season. His release is slow and he’s not getting much elevation. Hopefully those issues are simply due to Hill not being confident and not a sign of bigger problems that could lead to a prolonged slump. So far this season, Hill hasn’t done a very good job of running the show. He’s getting the team into their sets late in the clock too often. However, Hill tallying seven assists against the Hornets is a step in the right direction. All of last season, Hill never had that many assists in a game in which he came off the bench. Defensively, Hill did a good job of pestering Paul and upping his intensity as the Spurs attempted their comeback.

Antonio McDyess
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/antonio-mcdyess.jpg
21 mins (-18), 6 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 turnover
3-for-8 from the field
Antonio McDyess once again played well. He’s really rebounding well to begin the season and he added two blocks to his quality defensive performance. On offense, McDyess needs to take more advantage of being left alone. Attempting more shots and shooting for a better percentage would really help the team. Despite his advanced age, McDyess is moving well and getting good elevation.

Gary Neal
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/gary-neal.jpg
19 mins (+1), 8 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 turnovers
3-for-6 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers
With the Hornets daring the Spurs to shoot, Pop played Gary Neal the final 19 minutes of the game. All in all, Neal played well. He shot the ball with confidence and played with toughness on both ends of the court. In addition to his three-point shooting, Neal also showed good touch off the dribble and made a few good passes. In his first extended action in the NBA, he helped cement his role as a floor-spacer Pop can call on to keep defenses honest. Will he continue to get minutes? Perhaps, although the Hornets presented the perfect matchup for Neal: a sagging defense and shooting guards small enough for Neal to defend.

James Anderson
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/james-anderson.jpg
11 mins (-4), 5 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 block
1-for-4 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 at the line
All of James Anderson’s minutes came in the first half (Neal took his second half minutes). Anderson hit another three-pointer and had a couple impressive drives to the hoop. However, the rookie is obviously still adjusting to the speed of the NBA — both in terms of mentally knowing what he needs to do and physically getting to where he needs to go. With Neal playing well, it’ll be interesting to see if Pop uses Anderson or Neal in upcoming games.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/gregg-popovich.jpg
Pop deserves credit for finding a unit that allowed the comeback to take place. On the other hand, I thought it was questionable for Pop to keep Duncan and Parker on the bench for the duration of the fourth quarter. The squad he had out on the court seemed to tire and subbing in Duncan and/or Parker could have given the needed jolt of enegy to give the Spurs the win. Playing Ginobili 37 minutes was a bit excessive, especially this early in the season. Going with Neal turned out to be a good decision. And whatever Pop did to Jefferson in the offseason is paying dividends so far.

Offense
San Antonio’s main problem on offense was their three-point shooting. They made just 6-of-26 three-pointers (23.1%), while hitting 27-of-59 two-pointers (45.8%). The Spurs did well enough at the line (18-for-21) and at handling the ball (24 assists and 13 turnovers). Over the last few seasons, the Spurs have struggled against the Hornets when they miss from the perimeter. That was again the case on Saturday night.

Defense
For the second straight game, the Spurs defense was bad. It wasn’t as obvious at times against the Hornets but that was simply due to the slower pace of the game. New Orleans shot 50% from the field while hitting 7-of-11 three-pointers and 14-of-17 free throws. The Spurs didn’t disrupt what the Hornets wanted to do, as New Orleans finished with 20 assists and 14 turnovers. The Hornets hurt the Spurs mostly with West in isolations in the first half and Paul led pick-and-rolls in the second half.

Drive for 5
We’ll know a lot more about these Spurs after their two-game road trip against the Clippers and Suns. Both teams are quick, athletic and play with a lot of juice. Will the Spurs look old, slow and bad on defense or will they be able to command the flow and play to their strengths? Hopefully it’s the latter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Published work now? Very nice :tu.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Great write up. I am hoping to see more from Anderson. He had some nice moves in last night's game, and has a good first step. I'd love to see him be a respectable SF in backup minutes.

Props to RJ, he can automatically make this year's team better than last year if he keeps this up. :tu

spurs10
10-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks, good read. I look forward to these Game Thoughts, especially when I miss the game. Hope they use this loss as motivation for the road trip.

DPG21920
10-31-2010, 01:36 PM
This is the thing with the Spurs: We know their offense is going to be very up and down. They are one of the few teams that can go from absolutely scorching hot, to absolutely ice cold in the blink of an eye.

Whether it be from game to game (as evidenced in game 1 vs. game 2) or quarter to quarter (as evidenced by their documented 3rd quarter woes), the Spurs offense is something that is solid, but subject to change without notice.

This seems to be because the team lacks really quality reliable shooters. They have some good shooters, but not the kind where even their misses look good.

This is nothing new for those following the team post 07' and with that in mind, the reason they have been unable to contend truly since then is because of the drop off in defense.

Spurs used to be able to overcome a slower pace and bad shooting because they could hold teams down. They have not been able to do that as of late. A lot of that is personnel and some of that is philosophy. Either way, the Spurs will have to find a combo of the right players and mindset in order to right the ship. They don't have to be the best defensive squad because they have enough firepower on offense, but they have to be much better than they have been.

The real question is: How?

mingus
10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
i really worry about this team and its horrible defense. what's worse is that i don't think it's correctable in terms of the perimiter defense. the Spurs just straight up lack the athleticism neccessary in their starting lineup to defend opposing guards well.

What really, really sucks is that the Spurs best offensive backcourt (Manu, RJ, TP) does not include perhaps their best defensive player (George Hill). what needs to happen then is one of two things:

1. George Hill needs to move into the starting lineup for Manu.
2. Spurs need to trade for someone that has the ability to preferably start at our wing and play defense.

one guy i thnk the Spurs should go after: Casspi. i know they wanted to draft him. he'd fit in our lineup and he has great defensive potential.

The Truth #6
10-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't see why they'd trade Casspi to us...but it would be great if it could happen.

ElNono
10-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the writeup, LJ. Enjoyable read as usual.

The Truth #6
10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
As for the offensive woes, I think they played too much inside-out. Tim wasn't playing that great. The shooting was off. With RJ's new focus on getting to the hole and the foul line I think they should involve him more now. And a little more movement on offense would be helpful as well.

The play of Neal was a positive. His shooting stroke looks really, really good. I can see why they were so high on him. If he could learn some dirty/old man defensive tricks he might be able to stay on the floor longer.

The play of Hill baffles me. To his credit when we get a run going he is often a part of it. However, unless there is a flow to the game he seems to stagnate and overthink things and become overly mechanical. He seems like a great guy but I'm not sold on him yet as a consistent player. He just doesn't seem confident. He prepares constantly and wants to improve but doesn't know how to take control of the game yet.

itzsoweezee
10-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Moving Hill to the starting lineup seems like a no-brainer. He's playing the best perimeter defense, and starting might get him back into the offensive flow.

The ideal would be if both Manu and Blair move to the bench, with Tiago replacing Blair.

That would give the Spurs an elite defensive starting lineup and unmatched firepower off the bench.

Chomag
10-31-2010, 03:10 PM
From what I have seen so far this year's Spur's team is turning out to be one of the worst defencive teams that they have had since the 90's. This is very concerning.

Mad props to RJ though, so far he as showed allot of aggression and thats all we have asked for from him last season. I hope he keeps it it.

Manu took 11 three-pointers last night? Holly crap thats alot especialy if you are not making them. I agree he realy needs to try to mix it up more as he has proven he still has the ability to be more then a 3pt shooter. Not very many three-point sharp shooters in the NBA even attempt put up 20 three-pointers in only 2 games

Bruno
10-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Nice thoughts, thanks.

Something that surprise me in this game from Pop is that he didn't give a single minute to Simmons. It was the perfect opportunity for him with no Bonner, no Splitter and Spurs splaying some small ball. It could mean that Simmons will only be a garbage time player and could even be waived before his contract became guaranteed.

AussieFanKurt
10-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks, mirrors everyone's thoughts most likely

Libri
10-31-2010, 05:28 PM
38 mins (-6), 4 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, 3 turnover
2-for-10 from the field, 0-for-1 on three-pointers
DeJuan Blair had his second straight sub par game as he continues to start at power forward. On offense, Blair is rushing too much and is making potentially easy shots more difficult. He also seems to be second-guessing on all of his offensive touches. Defensively, he got his hands on a ton of balls and was very active. That said, he got schooled by David West in one-on-one situations. Overall, Blair played better later in the game but we’re still waiting for him to look comfortable in his starting role.

It doesn't get any easier for Dejuan in the next game with Griffin and Kaman. They're going to be a handful. The good news is that Splitter might be ready.

TD 21
10-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Pop deserves credit for finding a unit that allowed the comeback to take place. On the other hand, I thought it was questionable for Pop to keep Duncan and Parker on the bench for the duration of the fourth quarter. The squad he had out on the court seemed to tire and subbing in Duncan and/or Parker could have given the needed jolt of enegy to give the Spurs the win. Playing Ginobili 37 minutes was a bit excessive, especially this early in the season. Going with Neal turned out to be a good decision. And whatever Pop did to Jefferson in the offseason is paying dividends so far.

It was beyond questionable, it was flat out stupid. I knew he was going to do it, though, it was predictable. He loves doing it from time to time, having Ginobili playing hero ball, with an undersized lineup and without the best and third best player on the team on the floor. So that if they win, he can sing Ginobili's praises about what a winner he is and how he's as competitive as Jordan and Bryant.

No excuses for Duncan; he played awful. But that being said, he got Okafor into foul trouble early, then got two on Mbenga and instead of the Spurs continuing to go to him to get into the bonus early and also force them to play West, Smith or Mensah-Bonsu on him (which would likely lead to double teams and good outside looks for an ice cold Spurs team), they completely forget about and/or ignored him, because it was more important for Ginobili to run around jacking up an absurd amount of three's.

- Jefferson and Neal were the story, on the positive side of the ledger.

- Blair was awful again. He needs to know his place. He's a role player. Particularly amongst the starters, he's the clear cut fifth option. Far too much dribbling, ridiculous shots and sloppy defense.

- Hill is a guy who almost cares too much. You can tell he's thinking about it when he shoots, worried about the result beforehand. It's early yet, but if this keeps up, he'll need to be moved into the starting lineup at the expense of Ginobili

- Speaking of Ginobili, I don't mean to sound like I'm pinning this game all on him (even though it probably comes off that way), because I'm not, but this team can't turn into the Ginobili show offensively, or they're going nowhere. They can't devolve into any one player playing that role, it's not how they're built. Their strength is in numbers, doing it by committee, a la the Celtics.

IknowU
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Is it just me or does whole roster pass up on shots?

It seems they wont dare to shoot the ball unless they are fully open and wont even try to create their own shot?

This leads to passin the ball around looking for a open man which pressurizes the pg(tony) leading to scramble finish or a turnover. I dont see single player creating his own shot other then manu. This really is a concerm imo. Is it pop's tactics or what?

MmP
10-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Nice read LJ I appreciate that you often post your thoughts. I have confidence and faith the Spurs will pick it up. We're seeing better things than worse.

SequSpur
10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Spurs suck balls. Period.

Pauleta14
10-31-2010, 07:15 PM
I can't help but think that Tim and Tony, seing how the bench put them back in the game, would have been usefull in the last 5 mins...

Pop was too "concervative" on that part of his coaching.

HighLowLobForBig-50
10-31-2010, 07:23 PM
i love SAdispatch. i was sorry the blog radio show didnt make it but this, this is sweet in so many ways. i fully support SAdispatch and i will help if i can. lol man you got em good this time kori

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Great stuff, timvp. :tu

Not such great stuff, Spurs. :(

lefty
10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Our D has been bad since Bowen's retirement

Damn

Ice009
10-31-2010, 08:50 PM

Damn

Did Bruce want to retire or was it because of the trade? Did the Spurs not want him back? I want to know what happened there. Stupid if the Spurs didn't want him back to focus more on offense. They really do play an offensive game of basketball these days defensively.

xtremesteven33
10-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Did Bruce want to retire or was it because of the trade? Did the Spurs not want him back? I want to know what happened there. Stupid if the Spurs didn't want him back to focus more on offense. They really do play an offensive game of basketball these days defensively.

Bruce got traded and then he retired.

I agree he left a glaring hole that might not ever be filled again :(

Blackjack
10-31-2010, 10:06 PM

Pop phased him out to end his final year and Bowen wasn't willing to come back if that was the only role left for him to have -- there's no reason he couldn't have come back for the minimum after being bought out.

Bowen had fallen off towards the end, but he was still undoubtedly the best defender they had. If Pop would have told him they'd like to have him back and he could have a role of some significance, he would have come back, at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Too late now.

HarlemHeat37
10-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Bowen fell victim to the Finley-Pop relationship..a casualty of love..

Blackjack
10-31-2010, 10:13 PM
:lol

Sean Cagney
10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
i really worry about this team and its horrible defense. what's worse is that i don't think it's correctable in terms of the perimiter defense. the Spurs just straight up lack the athleticism neccessary in their starting lineup to defend opposing guards well.

This was a huge problem last year and it's still here and it will be the same result IMO in the end :( I miss the old Spurs teams on D! Bowen etc. This team might be a middle of the pack team, but they are not longer elite and this is a problem thats not going to go away without the right personell.

Damn

Yep, basically! We won games on D, not on scoring alot nor running with teams if we did not have to! When we did we could get stops in the end, not anymore and it showed last year during the Suns series. This team is not great, I accepted it before the year came! I don't expect too much so it's fine.

Leonard Curse
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
This was a huge problem last year and it's still here and it will be the same result IMO in the end :( I miss the old Spurs teams on D! Bowen etc. This team might be a middle of the pack team, but they are not longer elite and this is a problem thats not going to go away without the right personell.

Yep, basically! We won games on D, not on scoring alot nor running with teams if we did not have to! When we did we could get stops in the end, not anymore and it showed last year during the Suns series. This team is not great, I accepted it before the year came! I don't expect too much so it's fine.

i am a big time homer but this is so true :(. i mean there were some good defenders to be had this offseason and its worth every freaking penny!!! i agree with this statement and unless a player steps up consistantly then its goitn to be a average year

Ice009
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Pop phased him out to end his final year and Bowen wasn't willing to come back if that was the only role left for him to have -- there's no reason he couldn't have come back for the minimum after being bought out.

Bowen had fallen off towards the end, but he was still undoubtedly the best defender they had. If Pop would have told him they'd like to have him back and he could have a role of some significance, he would have come back, at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Too late now.

I know Bruce lost a step, but in that Dallas series he was still by far our best defender and one of our top 3 players that showed up for the series. That's why I don't understand why he never came back after the trade. I thought there was more to it. Did the Spurs even try to get him back?

The reason I am asking now is because maybe someone is willing to divulge more info since it's been a while.

I was mad the a lot of that season when Bruce wasn't getting court time and if I had to guess IMO Bruce felt disrespected and didn't want to come back. I'm just curious if the Spurs wanted him back even in a reduced role if he was willing to accept a role like that.

Blackjack
10-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Pop didn't believe he had much left in the tank or was someone they could rely upon. They would have been fine with him coming back, but in a much diminished role -- like end of the bench.

Bowen was better than an end of bench player and he was certainly better than the likes of a Finley or Mason who were going to play ahead of him, so he wanted no part of it.

Bruce is a proud man.

ChumpDumper
10-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Nobody wanted Bowen.

It happens.

Blackjack
10-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Actually, Boston did, but there are and were very few teams where having a player like Bowen makes sense for the team. Need to be a contender and have the right kind of talent for him to be useful to the team and for the situation to be worthy of his time.

But it's neither here nor there, it's yonder.

"It is what it is."

ChumpDumper
10-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Never read that. Is there a link to that effect somewhere?

Ice009
10-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Yep I read that too, but I don't think Bruce wanted to play with a couple of the guys on that Celtics team ;).

ChumpDumper
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM
I believe it, just didn't read it.

Blackjack
10-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Never read that. Is there a link to that effect somewhere?

I'm sure there is. I know I read something about it here when that was all going down, pretty sure I remember Don Harris mentioning it on one of his sportscasts as well.

Quick search, first thing that popped up (http://dimemag.com/2009/08/the-best-fit-for-bruce-bowen/). The teams rumored to be interested were Boston, Orlando and Cleveland.

I'm almost positive there was a better and more credible report than just some rumors via Dime though.

crc21209
10-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Well I was pretty damn dissapointed, but just a tad satisfied after last nights loss. Dissapointed because they lost, but satisfied because all I wanted was a good game and once they got down 18 I thought "OK if they can cut this lead to single digits and make it a game at least I'll be happy." Last night was my 1st Spurs game of this season (hopefully I go to one or two more). The last Spurs game I attended last year was the Game 4 Spurs-Suns game in which the Suns completed the sweep...not good, so this time around I wanted to see a W, but I knew the risk I took when purchasing tickets to an early season game. Well being up close and personal here are some of the things that stood out to me:

1. TOO MANY 3-pointers! I don't know what the hell the Spurs were thinking last night thinking they were the Suns out there...it got so bad that at one point my girlfriend turned to me and said..."What the fuck why wont any of these guys drive the ball in?" I didnt have an answer. Manu especially settled WAY too much..I can't believe I'm saying this but hell Bonner would've helped some last night.

2. The Spurs looked extremely soft in the paint. I can't believe I'm saying this again, but even Bonners big body in the paint might have helped this cause. In the 3rd quarter Chris Paul had a good 4-5 uncontested layups...pathetic. Splitter for damn sure will be put to use when he is ready to go...

3. RJ looked like a completely different guy. He was really nowhere to be found in the 1st half and I thought damn, he isnt going to do anything tonight. Boy was I wrong, the guy blew up in the 4th quarter and was one, if not THE main reason the Spurs got back into the ball game. I agree with Timvp when he said last year RJ wouldve completely vanished from the game after the 1st half he had..but the guy kept playing and was very aggressive on both offense and defense.

4. Seeing as this was one of the few games I will probably attend this year I was pretty pissed with Pop pulling the plug on TP and TD, but after the line-up of Hill, Manu, RJ, Neal, and Blair made that furious comeback...I understood the move. But I did disagree with him sitting TD and TP the whole 4th and especially when they cut the lead to single digits. I think a lineup of TP, Manu, Hill, RJ, and TD could have pulled off the W at the end...

5. Gary Neal can straight up shoot the rock. I saw him get off the bench and thought "Alright lets see what this guy's made of." In the minutes he received, he made the most of them. He didnt hesitate on the shots he took and was also very aggressive on D as well. He even had a nice slash to the rim and finished a tear-drop type of shot. The thing is, he is a little undersized for a 2-guard and it might hurt the Spurs on the opposite end...

Well just thought I would share some of the things I saw up-close and personal.

duncan228
11-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Defense top priority:

...“It’s always my No. 1 concern,” Popovich said. “If we lose 10 in a row or win 10 in a row, it’s always my No. 1 concern.”

...“Every team has games where opponents shoot great on a given night,” Popovich said. “It’s best to draw conclusions over a span of time, rather than on one game. That’s dangerous.”

Blair looks for shooting touch (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/10/31/blair-looks-for-shooting-touch/)
by Jeff McDonald

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/10/31/blair-looks-for-shooting-touch/