PDA

View Full Version : See "championship basketball" in the dictionary...

GrandeDavid
05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
...and you will see captions of players like Tony Parker banking in layups so quickly that Amare Stoudamire doesn't have enough time to turn around and even consider deflecting them. You'll see a picture of Brent Barry pulling the trigger on a couple of long bombs about three feet behind the three point line. You'll see Tim spinning and floating in smooth left handers over the abused Shawn Marion. You'll see Manu doing his drives (you know the drill, he puts his head down, charges like the so-called bull in a china shop, the rest of the team prays).

Today was a great day to be a Spurs fan. I, for one, thought Tim's left ankle would restrict him more and he'd have an off day. I thought Phoenix would be pumped and simply take Game 1. If I were not a Spurs fan I would've put money on it. I thought the Spurs would lose Game 1 and win Game 2.

But thankfully I was wrong, because the Spurs showed us some championship basketball today. They outrebounded Phoenix, stole more balls, had practically the same number of assists, blocked more shots, and were it not for Tony Parker's inexcusable free throw shooting, they'd have shot those at a nice clip.

Most importantly, the Spurs came back from 8 down on the road in a pressure packed game and got the stops when they needed them and lit 'em up in the 4th, again, when it counts most.

A big round of applause to the Spurs for playing like champions. Let's hope it carries over into Game 2. I expect it will.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 08:11 PM
How come nobody ever mentions Bruce's spin move in the lane?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

That shot is MOAN-NAY.

GrandeDavid
05-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Shoogar, that move is phat! Hey man, let's hope for the carryover on Tuesday. Then you gotta worry about Phoenix's tremendous road record. Think they'll be able to take at least one at San Antonio? Or do the Spurs have enough killer instinct to take care of bidness at home? This close to the championship round, you'd hope so!

boutons
05-23-2005, 09:09 AM
"Bruce's spin move"

If Bruce is gonna pump fake the 3G's, he needs to follow up the fake with little moves like that to make them pay, and try to get a big to come out and meet Bruce's drive.

What's the point of faking a guy into the air if Bruce just drives past to get open and then passes off?

Spurminator
05-23-2005, 09:12 AM
What's the point of faking a guy into the air if Bruce just drives past to get open and then passes off?

If he's passing to an open man left after another defender is forced to leave and guard Bruce, then that's the point.

violentkitten
05-23-2005, 09:14 AM
before we all start sucking our dicks lets remember that the spurs were facing an injury depleted suns team that had played an overtime game a scant 36 hours or so prior in dallas

GrandeDavid
05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Injury-depleted? What about Duncan's ankle injuries? What about Devin Brown? This is the playoffs, guys get banged up. The Suns weren't THAT injury-depleted. Yes, Joe Johnson is a baller, but they were at home.

violentkitten
05-23-2005, 10:56 AM
that injury means more to the suns than devin's does to the spurs

Sportcamper
05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
It is nice to be gracious...But the Spurs won the game because they put aside their ½ court set in the 4th period & put up 43 points... A number they sometimes don't hit in an entire half...

And what a fantastic effort from both Barry & Horry...

This is the WCF’s...The better team played through the nagging injuries...

Experiment2100
05-23-2005, 12:08 PM
that injury means more to the suns than devin's does to the spurs

It wouldn't hurt so much if Pho. had a decent backup. JJ is their third leading scorer. THIRD

GrandeDavid
05-23-2005, 12:21 PM
ViolentKitten, you are defintely correct. I agree with you 100%. BUT, Tim was supposedly hampered, although it didn't really show in the first game, did it? You are also right that its just one game. Phoenix is also a great road team, so we'll see. Should be a battle. But it was very nice to see the Spurs look like champions at least on Sunday!