PDA

View Full Version : Another potential wing defender could be available?

SenorSpur
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/106428913.html

The Cavs already plucked one hidden gem from Minnesota when they traded for Ramon Sessions. Now the Timberwolves have declined to offer an extension to Corey Brewer, an athletic wing, because the Wolves are already full of athletic wings.

Brewer will be a restricted free agent this summer, much like Oden, giving the Timberwolves a chance to match any offer he receives. It will also give them more time to sort through guys like Michael Beasley, Wes Johnson, Lazar Hayward and Martell Webster to see how much — if at all — they need Brewer.

Brewer started all 82 games last season and averaged a career-high 13 points per game, but he lost his starting job to Beasley. He also is not a very good perimeter shooter, but is the type of long (6-foot-9) athletic body that would fit well in Scott's system.

slick'81
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
god hes fallen far but i guess theres still some upside

yavozerb
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I normally do not like most of the castaways from other teams but I really like this kid..Has alot of good defensive qualities and his offensive game has gotten better year after year.

Libri
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I have him on my fantasy team. He hasn't done much for the Wolves. Even Wayne Ellington is playing better than Brewer. Nevertheless, I would keep him on the watch list.

DPG21920
11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I normally do not like most of the castaways from other teams but I really like this kid..Has alot of good defensive qualities and his offensive game has gotten better year after year.

I agree. I am very high on him. He has put in work on his 3PT shot, but it still has a ways to go. But I love his attitude and ability.

z0sa
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
We're lacking at that position, and we're lacking a defender as solid as he is.. that said, I agree with the castaway comments. Gotta realize who's coaching this team, and his "principles".

DesignatedT
11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
He would be a good option. Him and Anderson would complement each other nicely at the backup 3 position.

Blackjack
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
He can come play for the Spurs if he'd like to.

I'll allow it. :tu

Libri
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I wonder what could be his market value if he continues with his average performance? His currently salary is $3.7 million.

If his minutes drop, then he might not get a lot of attention next summer and could be available.

ohmwrecker
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Doesn't sound like they are particularly eager to move him right now.

JR3
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
hmm.. I might be interested in Ronnie Brewer, but not too sure about Corey Brewer

BadOne
11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
xxfb3pTm2Hw

Nuff said...

The Truth #6
11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
The Wolves are morons so their perceived lack of interest in him shouldn't mean he's a bad player. His dad was a Spur. Why not?

SenorSpur
11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
The Wolves are morons so their perceived lack of interest in him shouldn't mean he's a bad player. His dad was a Spur. Why not?

You may be thinking of Ronnie Brewer, whose father was former Arkansas Razorback great and former Spurs guard, Ron Brewer.

dbestpro
11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Knowing the wolves they'll want a top 10 pick in trade.

Blackjack
11-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Knowing the wolves they'll want a top 10 pick in trade.

And by that you mean, a point guard.

Kahn would love Nando. :downspin:

dbestpro
11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
And by that you mean, a point guard.

Kahn would love Nando. :downspin:

Absolutely.

Bruno
11-01-2010, 05:20 PM
So what would you trade for?

5in10
11-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Did he already have a season ending injury this season?

MaNu4Tres
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
He wouldn't make a difference.

Spurs need a better overall option if they want to improve their chances when it's said and done.

ChuckD
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
You've pretty much hit bottom when you lose your job to Michael Beasley, the human Tater Tot.

DJB
11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I have him on my fantasy team. He hasn't done much for the Wolves. Even Wayne Ellington is playing better than Brewer. Nevertheless, I would keep him on the watch list.

You what?

Libri
11-01-2010, 06:47 PM
You what?

It was slim pickings at the end of the draft. Besides, 13 ppg last season was not bad at all. I have other players on my watch list ready to fill his utility position if he doesn't contribute soon.

Blackjack
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I mean, really! the Spurs' problem is the pick-and-roll and the only prescription is Shaquille O'Neal.

Preach, TS2! :tu

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Brewer would be a no-brainer..

He has low basketball IQ and is still learning team defense(it doesn't help when you're playing for Minnesota), but he was one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the NBA last year..Spurs could use his length and athleticism, they lack both..

I don't really see a scenario in which a trade would happen though..

Blackjack
11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Brewer would be a no-brainer..

He has low basketball IQ and is still learning team defense(it doesn't help when you're playing for Minnesota), but he was one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the NBA last year..Spurs could use his length and athleticism, they lack both..

I don't really see a scenario in which a trade would happen though..

Yup. :tu

ChuckD
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I mean, really! the Spurs' problem is the pick-and-roll and the only prescription is Shaquille O'Neal.

Preach, TS2! :tu

Is Dr. Kevorkian writing that prescription?

Blackjack
11-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Is Dr. Kevorkian writing that prescription?

Is he in the same field as Dr. Jack Ramsey?

Blackjack
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh, and I almost forgot, Dampier. ... Shaq and Erica are the prescription for this team's fever . . .

REAL TALK.

mountainballer
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
first off, the fact that the Wolves didn't offer an extension yet isn't a sign that they want to get rid of him. it's not that they didn't pick his 3rd or 4th year option. out of the 2007 class only 5 players got the early extension (Durant, Horford, Noah, Conley, Dudley), some better players didn't get one either (Green, Stuckey, Brooks, Chandler, Young).

however, Brewer should be available for the right price. I wouldn't call him a no brainer for the Spurs. if they can get him for their 2011 1st rounder, that's ok.
(to think we could get him for some 2nd rounder or the rights for De Colo is a bit naive).
but currently I don't think he would be an ideal solution. (he would help, no doubt). the reason: Anderson looked pretty good on defense and a much better option to defend some SG and SF than we thought. so, what we more lack is a forward, who can defend either forward spot. Brewer has good size, but he is way to thin to defend PFs. (he is to thin for most of the bigger SFs either). he also has a surprisingly short wingspan and standing reach, so he plays shorter than his size. he might be 6-8 but he doesn't offer more than the average 6-6 wing. (like Anderson)

currently the ideal player to balance this roster is more of a Chandler/Wallace type forward. (which also makes Brandon Rush less attractive as a trade target)