PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Sports Stores - Spurs Merch FAIL

urunobili
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Hello Guys;

I just visited San Antonio for the second time in my life and I had an incredible time! Did all the cliche touristy visits and truly enjoyed the city and the hospitality of the San Antonians.

One thing that left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth was the Sports Stores. When I visited in February 2006 I went to Academy and bought training gear, decals, pennants, keychains, baseball hats among other Spurs merchandise that I learned you could only get in San Antonio.

This time I not only did not find any of the above (Just Jerseys and Tees and some sporadic pant or shorts where available) but they had the Spurs gear in the VERY WORST spot of the shop. Below a sample in Academy right off I35 on your way to the airport:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2nF-PIUOifQ/TM8ptyJvIQI/AAAAAAAADvc/nN-y9fTNFf4/s512/IMG00009-20101030-1626.jpg

You have to squeeze in the alleys to get to shop for Spurs items and on top of it, they had just that one tiny spot with them. There was more Cowboys stuff than Spurs.

I was so frustrated that I said to myself (it has to be this one store) so I went to a Sports Authority to get a plan B and despite the items where shown more spacey, they just had a handful and on the very back of the Store.

I mean, come on!!! This is San Antonio!!! The ONLY big league franchise in town and they were left behind THAT bad? When did this change? Maybe some Laker and Maverick fans store managers? :wtf

I ended up buying WAY cooler stuff on both ROSS and TJMAXX (Didn't find a Marshalls otherwise I would have shopped there too) though I ended up finding the very last one of the item I wanted bad ( a Spurs training Sleeveless shirt) at the AT&T center.

Sorry but I had to call this out, I was stunned. Left one of my credit cards empty thinking I would be on a Spurs merch shopping spree and ended up learning that online is the best place to find good stuff.

PM5K
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I'll make some calls buddy, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Obstructed_View
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I remember going to Rivercenter mall in the early 90s and the only merchandise in the front of the sporting goods store was Raiders and 49ers stuff. Apparently there was a lot of gang business back then.

dbestpro
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
At this time of year football is king. The merchants probably stocked up on Cowboy gear thinking super bowl and now have a bunch of stuff that has not moved just sitting on the shelves. The retailers will have to create some deep discounts to move the stuff.

lefty
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Well, San Antonio fails as a city to begin with

PM5K
11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
If he doesn't like it just don't come back, and don't let the dirty water from the river hit you on the ass on your way out.

ohmwrecker
11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, San Antonio fails as a city to begin with

It's cool if you stick around the downtown/riverwalk area . . . and you aren't staying long . . . and you don't talk to anybody. It's like a cleaner, less dangerous Mexico.

phxspurfan
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Hello Guys;

I just visited San Antonio for the second time in my life and I had an incredible time! Did all the cliche touristy visits and truly enjoyed the city and the hospitality of the San Antonians.

One thing that left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth was the Sports Stores. When I visited in February 2006 I went to Academy and bought training gear, decals, pennants, keychains, baseball hats among other Spurs merchandise that I learned you could only get in San Antonio.

This time I not only did not find any of the above (Just Jerseys and Tees and some sporadic pant or shorts where available) but they had the Spurs gear in the VERY WORST spot of the shop. Below a sample in Academy right off I35 on your way to the airport:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2nF-PIUOifQ/TM8ptyJvIQI/AAAAAAAADvc/nN-y9fTNFf4/s512/IMG00009-20101030-1626.jpg

You have to squeeze in the alleys to get to shop for Spurs items and on top of it, they had just that one tiny spot with them. There was more Cowboys stuff than Spurs.

I was so frustrated that I said to myself (it has to be this one store) so I went to a Sports Authority to get a plan B and despite the items where shown more spacey, they just had a handful and on the very back of the Store.

I mean, come on!!! This is San Antonio!!! The ONLY big league franchise in town and they were left behind THAT bad? When did this change? Maybe some Laker and Maverick fans store managers? :wtf

I ended up buying WAY cooler stuff on both ROSS and TJMAXX (Didn't find a Marshalls otherwise I would have shopped there too) though I ended up finding the very last one of the item I wanted bad ( a Spurs training Sleeveless shirt) at the AT&T center.

Sorry but I had to call this out, I was stunned. Left one of my credit cards empty thinking I would be on a Spurs merch shopping spree and ended up learning that online is the best place to find good stuff.

You went to a game right? That maybe be the best place to get stuff that isn't available in other stores. But yes online stores have the best selection. Worst is anywhere near the city of Phoenix.

DesignatedT
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
The team shop at the AT&T center should have had everything you were looking for. It is a little pricey though.

Plus, it is very early in the year, the closer to playoff time the more stores tend to put out merchandise. Especially once football season ends than Spurs merchandise will take over those spots.

SequSpur
11-01-2010, 05:20 PM
lol...what's so funny is all the UT shit being sold in this city... 99.9% of the peeps in the city can't even spell longhorn.