PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton slams Melo

InRareForm
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/29/bill-walton-carmelo-does-not-have-what-it-takes-to-be-the-great-player/

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Anthony is one of the most overrated players in the NBA, so I agree there, but it's interesting that he likes Amare..

hitmanyr2k
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Walton isn't really slamming Melo. He's asking legit questions. Some dumbass Bulls fans over the last month or so were saying it was a no-brainer to trade Noah for Melo. Quality big men don't grow on trees these days and you don't give up one to get a one dimensional scorer. And you certainly don't trade to get smaller in the paint when the teams that are winning titles have monster frontlines and depth.

I've never been on the Melo bandwagon. He's a good scorer but that's about it. He's one of those guys where his game stays the same throughout his entire career. There's no effort to get better defensively or have intangibles. If he isn't scoring he's worthless. That's why despite his numbers he's always going to be a tier or two below guys like Lebron, Kobe and Wade. Also it doesn't help that he's been surrounded by talent pretty much his whole career but he's never done anything with it. He's one good playoff year from being another T-Mac.

Pelicans78
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Trading Noah for Melo would be stupid.

La Mont
11-01-2010, 11:41 PM
it seems like Utah Jazz would get the most benefit if they got melo. it's only the absence of a prolific scorer that bars the Jazz from being great. Ak + trash for melo and we get another title contender besides lakers and heat.

Jose Canseco
11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
How is Carmelo a one dimensional scorer? After Kobe, Carmelo probably has the most complete offensive game in the league. Can score in the post, on drives, with midrange jumpers, from long range, on the break, and off the offensive glass. Saying Melo's a one dimensional scorer is an extremely stupid comment.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Pretty sure he meant, "a scorer that is 1-D"..

hitmanyr2k
11-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Pretty sure he meant, "a scorer that is 1-D"..

Thank you. You would think it would be obvious that I was talking about his entire game (not his scoring repertoire) after making this statement "He's one of those guys where his game stays the same throughout his entire career. There's no effort to get better defensively or have intangibles. If he isn't scoring he's worthless".

Jose Canseco
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
A lot of what you post doesn't make sense so I went with what you actually wrote instead of guessing what you intended to mean. Say what you mean next time.

LkrFan
11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Anthony is one of the most overrated players in the NBA, so I agree there, but it's interesting that he likes Amare..

Disagree. The big 3 in MIA are most overrated.

- Without FTAs, DWhistle wouldn't be in the same stratosphere as Kobe in discussions as the best SG in the game. There is a reason why they call him DWhistle. He has no consistent jumper. Take away those superstar calls and he ain't shit. I would take B Roy over him right now. Overrated.

- Without getting called for fouls, because he is "the most marketable player" the NBA has, etc etc. - LeHype is the most overrated player in NBA history. How in the fuck can you be a king with no fucking ring? Who is he the king of - the regular season? Just because you can dunk, go to the hole and draw whistles when you don't score (against his opponents - not against him of course no matter what he does), with a pathetic (at best) post game for a player 6'9" and 270lbs of muscle. His game has not improved one lick since he came into the L. Overrated.

- A 20/10 player on a team that barely made the playoffs - if they ever did, RuPaul is also overrated. Now he is finally he is on a contender. Here is the catch - now he is not the best player. Not even the 2nd best player. What does he do? Go out and stink it up with 11/8 stats. I would have given Joakim Noah that $14M (Chicago wouldn't have let him go though) instead of this "PF" bum. My boy LO is beasting in LA over this bum. Let someone that's rough and rugged get physical with him and watch him shrink (exhibit # "136" was on opening night when Shaq gave him a forearm shiver. What did he do? Stay outside and shoot those "pretty" jumpers of his). Overrated.

Melo is a scorer who is rounding out his game. He is not overrated in my opinion. I wouldn't call him the best player in the game - I wouldn't even say he is top 10 - I would argue top 15 though. Out of the class of 2003 I would take Melo over all three of those NBA manufactured superstars. But that's just me. :toast

icem
11-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Disagree. The big 3 in MIA are most overrated.

- Without FTAs, DWhistle wouldn't be in the same stratosphere as Kobe in discussions as the best SG in the game. There is a reason why they call him DWhistle. He has no consistent jumper. Take away those superstar calls and he ain't shit. I would take B Roy over him right now. Overrated.

- Without getting called for fouls, because he is "the most marketable player" the NBA has, etc etc. - LeHype is the most overrated player in NBA history. How in the fuck can you be a king with no fucking ring? Who is he the king of - the regular season? Just because you can dunk, go to the hole and draw whistles when you don't score (against his opponents - not against him of course no matter what he does), with a pathetic (at best) post game for a player 6'9" and 270lbs of muscle. His game has not improved one lick since he came into the L. Overrated.

- A 20/10 player on a team that barely made the playoffs - if they ever did, RuPaul is also overrated. Now he is finally he is on a contender. Here is the catch - now he is not the best player. Not even the 2nd best player. What does he do? Go out and stink it up with 11/8 stats. I would have given Joakim Noah that $14M (Chicago wouldn't have let him go though) instead of this "PF" bum. My boy LO is beasting in LA over this bum. Let someone that's rough and rugged get physical with him and watch him shrink (exhibit # "136" was on opening night when Shaq gave him a forearm shiver. What did he do? Stay outside and shoot those "pretty" jumpers of his). Overrated.

Melo is a scorer who is rounding out his game. He is not overrated in my opinion. I wouldn't call him the best player in the game - I wouldn't even say he is top 10 - I would argue top 15 though. Out of the class of 2003 I would take Melo over all three of those NBA manufactured superstars. But that's just me. :toast

lol you are an idiot and a hater. wade and lebron and are every bit as good as advertised. if anyone is overrated its kobe.

if he never played with a prime shaq, or the lakers didnt get gasol for NOTHING he would not have any rings. you put lebron or wade on the lakers, they will still win the title. put kobe on the cavs, no way they win 60+ games in a season.

melo is not overrated either. melo probably wouldve won a ring a couple years ago if not for the gasol heist.

IronMexican
11-02-2010, 01:50 AM
If the Lakers didn't have Shaq or Gasol, they would have got someone else by now, and we'd hear why Kobe couldn't win without X player. The Lakers are the Lakers, breh.