PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson, props

mingus
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
you might be worth your contract if you can keep this great play up.

jestersmash
11-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Go figure he's no longer making $15 M / year and now he's starting to play like a $15 M player.

AussieFanKurt
I'll be props to RJ too

rayray2k8
I'll judge him when May comes around..

BoricuaCJA
11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I enjoyed his aggressiveness and shooting. The only thing I saw from this game he needed a little bit more was on the help defensive side. Big props to him!

I give him a A+

DJB
11-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah, so far RJ has done a complete 180 since last year. :tu

mingus
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM

this isn't a thread to judge him. i'm not giving him props for his playoff performance. i'm giving him props for playing well now. you're taking the point of this thread out of context.

ace3g
11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
16, 18, 18 in the first 3 games for pts scored

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 12:06 AM
just an amazing contribution from Jefferson so far this year. Here is the player we hoped we were getting. It's a long season, but the man deserves all of the props in the world for taking it to the next level in preparedness and willingness.

DesignatedT
11-02-2010, 12:06 AM
keep it up RJ.

Nathan89
11-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Is that when you judged him last year? I doubt it.

AlleyOopNazi
11-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Clippers = horrible perimeter D = Neal and Jefferson going off

mingus
11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Once TP and TD start rolling, we'll be fine (at least offensively)... can't wait to see this team hitting on all cylanders.

Indazone
11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
He's going to be a great player. Too bad he screwed himself financially. His loss though.

skinsfan1
11-02-2010, 12:11 AM
he is playing alot better. hope he keeps it going

z0sa
11-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Last season, RJ sucked even against terrible D's.. it was definitely in his head. Now, any weak perimeter defenses is going to get torched as long as we have good ball movement. Especially if our shooters can hit the broad side of a barn consistently.. Jefferson technically being one of our best.

z0sa
11-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh, and if RJ deserves props, Neal certainly deserves some, too. He was on fire tonight. His D wasn't bad either.

itzsoweezee
11-02-2010, 12:15 AM
He's going to be a great player. Too bad he screwed himself financially. His loss though.

no, he made out pretty nice

Nathan89
11-02-2010, 12:17 AM

Oh did we play the clippers three games straight. As long as he can hit the open shot we should be fine. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Bowen used to only hit open shots.

jestersmash
Pop had high praise for Jefferson in the post game interviews.

G-Dawgg
Mark my words: Jefferson is going to be the key replacement for Duncan in the Spurs big 3.

Nathan89

That contract was still a great one for him.

Nathan89
11-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Mark my words: Jefferson is going to be the key replacement for Duncan in the Spurs big 3.

Please don't say this.:(

mingus
11-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Oh, and if RJ deserves props, Neal certainly deserves some, too. He was on fire tonight. His D wasn't bad either.

definitely. his stroke is just really good. it's like he doesn't make any uneeded movement. the mechanics to his shot are great. no wonder why Chip liked what he saw in this guy. he defensive has been pleasant surprise. such an upgrade (at this point) over RMJ on both ends.

the same thing can be said about Anderson.

AlleyOopNazi
11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Im just saying... not dissing. pop woulda shit a brick if he was the clipper coach

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Mark my words: In time Jefferson is going to be the key replacement for Duncan in the Spurs big 3.

Big threes in this league almost by definition need one dominant big man, so this would never work.

Gasol-Kobe-?

KG-Ray-Pierce-(Rondo)

Bosh-Lebron-Wade

Gasol, KG, Bosh you need one big man to constitute a true big 3 in this league.

ChuckD
11-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Im just saying... not dissing. pop woulda shit a brick if he was the clipper coach

You play who you play, and there aren't that many good defensive teams in the NBA. Even doing it against bad teams is a vast improvement over last year.

AlleyOopNazi
11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
This is to be expected from Jefferson, just b/c he laid an egg last yr doesn't discount the historical fact that he should be scoring at will when given space out on the backcourt.

However the fact that he is doing now what wasn't done last year has to bode well for the rest of the season. A vet like RJ is going to build on his season, consistency is key.

G-Dawgg
11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Big threes in this league almost by definition need one dominant big man, so this would never work.

Gasol-Kobe-?

KG-Ray-Pierce-(Rondo)

Bosh-Lebron-Wade

Gasol, KG, Bosh you need one big man to constitute a true big 3 in this league.

According to who? ...Show me the rulebook on that one....... I remember a pretty deady 3 in Golden State that gave us a good licken in the playoffs years ago that consisted of Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin, and Mitch Richmond...

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:14 AM
this isn't a thread to judge him. i'm not giving him props for his playoff performance. i'm giving him props for playing well now. you're taking the point of this thread out of context.

And I'm saying that it's too early to say that Jefferson has had a full turn around. Until playoff time comes around, if he continues to contribute to the team by then, he should praised.

A good example? Blair.. Played very well in the preseason and earned a starting spot on opening night.
Since then he's had 3 bad games in a row, but that's not enough to say that he's gonna continue his struggles.
That's my case and I'm not sure how you took my comments out of context. :rolleyes
Calm down junior.

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Is that when you judged him last year? I doubt it.

Actually yes, because that's when it was safe to say that he had a disappointing year and never lived up to expectations..

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 01:17 AM
+1 Keep shooting the open jumper and being aggressive....

good job

angelbelow
11-02-2010, 01:19 AM
RJ has definitely played well thus far. I hope he continues to be aggressive and get to the foul line and HOPEFULLy overcome his aweful FT shooting.

z0sa
11-02-2010, 01:20 AM
And I'm saying that it's too early to say that Jefferson has had a full turn around. Until playoff time comes around, if he continues to contribute to the team by then, he should praised.

A good example? Blair.. Played very well in the preseason and earned a starting spot on opening night.
Since then he's had 3 bad games in a row, but that's not enough to say that he's gonna continue his struggles.
That's my case and I'm not sure how you took my comments out of context. :rolleyes
Calm down junior.

Bro, this is a thread for giving RJ props NOW.. if you don't want to, you don't have to post.. it gets tiring seeing negative people wanting to spread your negative, long term predictions when we're celebrating a victory tonight. If he sucks in the playoffs, bring it up then.. TONIGHT, and to start the season, he's done well, and deserves these props.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-02-2010, 01:22 AM
no, he made out pretty nice

haha seriously

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Bro, this is a thread for giving RJ props NOW.. if you don't want to, you don't have to post.. it gets tiring seeing negative people wanting to spread your negative, long term predictions when we're celebrating a victory tonight. If he sucks in the playoffs, bring it up then.. TONIGHT, and to start the season, he's done well, and deserves these props.

How was I being negative??? All I said was that it was too soon to grade or give anything for ANYONE.
Goddamn, there are some touchy people on this forum tonight. Jesus christ. :lmao

z0sa
11-02-2010, 01:25 AM
How was I being negative??? All I said was that it was too soon to grade or give anything for ANYONE.
Goddamn, there are some touchy people on this forum tonight. Jesus christ. :lmao

you've basically been saying the whole thread it's "too early" to call RJ's turnaround.. that would mean the only touchy person is you. You don't have to view the thread, or click the reply button, bro..

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Oh yeah, congrats on the Spurs beating a now 0-4 Clippers. Great win, let's get shit faced over at the R bar. :toast

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:28 AM
you've basically been saying the whole thread it's "too early" to call RJ's turnaround.. that would mean the only touchy person is you. You don't have to view the thread, or click the reply button, bro..

It is too early dork! Oh and same goes for you on the click on reply button.. But I'm sure you'll make a response... I'll be waiting. :spin

tuncaboylu
11-02-2010, 01:28 AM
I always defend RJ during last season and I was very happy when he signed extension. I'm also glad to see he's doing very well at the moment.

But ray ray is right, it's too early to grade the players at the moment. You should wait till 20 games to say realistic comments about the teams and players.

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I always defend RJ during last season and I was very happy when he signed extension. I'm also glad to see he's doing very well at the moment.

But ray ray is right, it's too early to grade the players at the moment. You should wait till 20 games to say realistic comments about the teams and players.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with how well Jefferson is playing as of right now, but can he keep this up? We can only hope that he does.
Okay, so I'll give him a quick grade by all-star time. Is that better?

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Oh yeah, congrats on the Spurs beating a now 0-4 Clippers. Great win, let's get shit faced over at the R bar. :toast

Considering that last year we lost to a bunch of shitty teams and didn't have home court through out the playoffs.....YES!!!! Congrats on beating the 0-4 Clippers!

z0sa
11-02-2010, 01:33 AM
It is too early dork! Oh and same goes for you on the click on reply button.. But I'm sure you'll make a response... I'll be waiting. :spin

Yeah, I'm not the one boycotting the thread, so expect to see many posts in this thread, should the topic be worth further responding to.

You on the other hand..

I just don't see why you have any problem, any whatsoever, with giving RJ some props early, but I digress.. do whatever you want, dude, just realize it makes you look obnoxious.

rayray2k8
11-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I'm not the one boycotting the thread, so expect to see many posts in this thread, should the topic be worth further responding to.

You on the other hand..

I just don't see why you have any problem, any whatsoever, with giving RJ some props early, but I digress.. do whatever you want, dude, just realize it makes you look obnoxious.

Ha, I'm not looking for friends on the board so forgive me for being unbiased. :wakeup

z0sa
11-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Ha, I'm not looking for friends on the board so forgive me for being unbiased. :wakeup

Fair enough.. it is too late for me to be drinking, but you have fun :toast

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
The clippers are better than 0-4 suggests. This is not going to turn into an '09 12-70 New Jersey Nets team. They're not total scrubs, not by a long shot.

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 01:46 AM
The clippers are better than 0-4 suggests. This is not going to turn into an '09 12-70 New Jersey Nets team. They're not total scrubs, not by a long shot.

and the Cowboys are going to win the Super Bowl!

duncan228
11-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Notes on a scorecard: Tiago’s debut upstaged by Neal’s blistering shooting (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/notes-on-a-scorecard-tiagos-debut-upstaged-by-neals-blistering-shooting/)
by Tim Griffin

...The most consistent Spur so far this season has been Richard Jefferson, who scored 18 points and had his third consecutive solid game. Through three games, he’s shooting 64.3 percent from the field and averaging 17.3 points per game.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/notes-on-a-scorecard-tiagos-debut-upstaged-by-neals-blistering-shooting/

mingus
11-02-2010, 02:06 AM

Calm down junior.

Since when the fuck does giving the guy props for playing well (as we have hoped) mean that I'm praising RJ? I'm doing nothing more than giving props to the guy for his stellar play in the first three games.

no, you calm the fuck down and quit being such a douchebag tight ass and give the guy his props or get the fuck out.

AFBlue
11-02-2010, 02:06 AM
definitely. his stroke is just really good. it's like he doesn't make any uneeded movement. the mechanics to his shot are great. no wonder why Chip liked what he saw in this guy. he defensive has been pleasant surprise. such an upgrade (at this point) over RMJ on both ends.

the same thing can be said about Anderson.

Speaking of strokes, I like what I've seen from RJs new shot thus far this year. He got rid of the hitch at the top of his shot, smoothed out the delivery and the results are there early.

My enthusiasm for how he's playing is only counteracted by the frustration for how bad Blair is playing.

bigdog
11-02-2010, 02:08 AM
I like RJ's play so far. No matter who the opponent is, I'm glad to see the improvement. Keep it up, RJ.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 02:08 AM
The best thing about Jefferson so far is that it seems like he has accepted his role, he finally knows what he's supposed to do..he actually takes his opportunities when they come to him, he hasn't lost his confidence when he misses out on touches, which has happened early in every game so far..

Last year, when he wouldn't get touches, he would disappear in every facet of the game, and he would be completely out of rhythm..

Most important, his shot has been solid so far, and that will continue to be the key..

Jefferson shot 37% from 3s last year in October/November/December..he shot 25% from 3s the rest of the year..so let's not crown him yet, we'll have to hope his shot continues to go in, unlike last year..

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 02:13 AM
I think the big three were sometimes somewhat to blame for Jefferson's poor performance last year as well.

Jefferson can take it to the hole pretty aggressively, but not so much by himself as the first initial slasher. RJ seems to do much better driving when there's some prior ball movement forcing the defense to move. The most obvious way this would occur would be receiving the ball on the perimeter from a TP/Ginobili penetration and then attacking the rim as a secondary slasher.

Libri
11-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Also, RJ's facial expression is different. He looked calm and was smiling, like he was enjoying playing. I know that it's obvious and natural, can't be happy when you're playing bad. What I'm saying is that he seems to be more at ease. Good for him and the Spurs.

Obilivo
11-02-2010, 02:23 AM
He did very well tonight,if he can maintain the efficiency of the first three games untill may,then he deserves the contract.And if he could help us to win the champion,i would be a big fan of him.

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Maintain this level of efficiency? I'd say he more than just "deserves his contract" if he can do that.

I highly doubt RJ is going to continue shooting 65% from the field. That's unheard of for a player his size. Hell, it's unheard of for most big men in the league.

If he can stay around 45-50% I'll be happy. I fully expect his shooting efficiency to drop eventually.

dunkman
11-02-2010, 07:37 AM
It's a 3 games sample, Duncan had one of his worst stats ever in game 2.

The Spurs are a big 4 team since last season, with RJ talent was always there, but he needed some adjustments in his game to fit the Spurs needs. He used the first year to look and learn, he worked in the off-season and now we can see positive results. So far, his efficiency is fantastic. Hopefully he will continue with the good work.

Neal and Anderson are very solid rookies.

Blair is struggling but he still rebounds well. It will take him some time to switch to PF, he always played C.

ElNono
11-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Richard was great again last night. As others have pointed out, I expect his shooting to eventually settle on a more average 40%, but he's more focused on both ends, and that's a big difference from last season. His shooting form is definitely improved, and he no longer seems to hesitate when taking the spot up shots. Keep it up Richard.

elec99
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
If I recall from last season, when RJ scores 16+ in a game then Spurs win most of the time. The exception from the NO game is that he only really got going when we were down 17, its hard for any team to dig out of that hole in a quarter. But when he's involved early in the game its really tough for other SFs to match up with him.
I mean, he's not quick, but when he drives you have to foul him to keep the shot from going up. I hope he keeps this aggressiveness up. With the possibility of Neal and Anderson emerging we'll have a nice bench.

1usamotorsports.com
11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Much Props to RJ .

cheguevara
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
17ppg and 50% shooting

that's what we brought him for!!!!!!!!! :tu

Mitch Cumsteen
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
It's not just his shooting... his floor play has been very good at both ends. He hasn't missed many rotations on defense. He's hustling. He's engaged. He's not pointing the finger at his teammates. He looks like a completely different player. Last season, he looked like he had never played organized basketball before. This year, he looks like what we thought we were getting last summer.

mountainballer
11-02-2010, 11:15 AM
nice start.
let's wait for another 10 games till we finally call him the new Richard Jefferson.
if he in fact has turned around and is the player we all hoped he will be last season, props to him AND big props to Pop, who obviously put a lot of old school coaching effort on his case.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Scoring aside, his play has been significant. That's a huge change from last year. outcome. His plays are timely and important. I have nothing but good things to say about him so far. Just his ability to draw fouls and play smart defense has been refreshing.

TJastal
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Props, RJ seriously I hope you make me eat crow this year and prove you are worth the contract Pop gave you.

DaBears
11-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Agreed.. I think while last years preformance did not leave us with a good feeling about RJ, this year RJ seems like a completly deifferent player.. PROPS on that.. RJ i hope you are able to prove everyone wrong (about the way you preformed last year in sayin your a bust) so far you've prove to all of us that you were every bit as advertised and some this year.. Good luck and like what i see so far, with him playin this way if he can stay consistant it makes the SPURS a much -much- tougher team to play..