PDA

View Full Version : So is Gary Neal the truth or what?

zocool16
11-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty impressed with Neal's performance tonight. The guy can shoot for sure, but he seems to have some dribbles, too. Spurs need to keep finding minutes for this guy.

z0sa
11-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Dude was excellent on both ends tonight. If he can shoot with that confidence against someone other than the Clippers, we could have found another gem. Anderson was solid, too.

BoricuaCJA
11-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I agree he needs the minutes and he has been playing much better than I thought he would. His confidence and defense was really good. Let's see how he is playing in 10 games and then i'll give my opinion.

AussieFanKurt
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
He's an excellent shooter there's no doubt. His stroke is damn good. He also had 6 rebs and a couple of assists. He made an impact very quick and had 10 pts in 9 minutes at one stage

Doe
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
He certainly looked better than he did in the pre-season. Need more games to see for sure, but it would certainly help if he became a regular contributer with dead-eye shooting.

SenorSpur
11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I was a bit skeptical about him before - fearing he'd be just another summer league wonder only. However so far, he's seemed to calm himself down, demonstrates a real instensity on the defensive end - and has displayed that sweet stroke of his. I'm curious to see who Pop finds minutes for him, too.

Leonard Curse
11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
hes playing alot better than i expected and i was expecting quite a bit like i had said a while back the guys looks like he is somewhat of a leader. very sure of himself and his capabilities

timtonymanu
11-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Like people have said in the game blog, he's like the 08-09 Roger Mason Jr only better. I have to admit I felt like Neal wasn't going to be impressive at all, but he's completely proved me wrong. Still it's a little early to say that he will get better from here or stay consistent but he's taking steps in the right direction.

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 12:52 AM
When is this forum going to take me a little more seriously when I tell it that they have a player on their hands

I called it with Hill during his first summer league games.
I called it with Neal.
I claimed that Elson was the limit of Ian's game.
Blair was too obvious, and he can't be given up on at any point, because he's still the beast in there somewhere.

bthewigwam
Yes. James Anderson too. They will be keys this year.

EricB
He reminds me right now, alot of Jaren Jackson. Can shoot outside, maybe hit that pull up short jumper, busts his butt on D.

If Pop wanted to rest Manu, I wouldn't have any qualms at all at putting Anderson or Neal at the starting SG. They both can spread the floor, they both bust ass on the perimeter on defense.

That all said. 3 games is very very early and IIRC Bogans started out well last year as well.

I hope Neal does well though, his stroke and skill set seems to be valuable.

z0sa
11-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I agree, ericb but I don't see the parallels between our two rookies and Bogans. Bogans is older, smaller, a very overrated shooter, and lacking the athleticism to truly be a lockdown defender. None of those constraints on Neal or Anderson.

DJB
11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I agree he needs the minutes and he has been playing much better than I thought he would. His confidence and defense was really good. Let's see how he is playing in 10 games and then i'll give my opinion.

We'll all be anxiously awaiting your decision.

UnWantedTheory
11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
16 pts in 20 minutes is damn good. Put that with his 6 ebs and good D....thats bad ass.
But thats tonight. Let us get a bigger sample size before throwing too much hype his way.

Juanobili
11-02-2010, 01:00 AM
I can see why they gave him a guaranteed contract

DesignatedT
11-02-2010, 01:00 AM
he was great tonight.

timvp
11-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Neal has a picture perfect shooting stroke. I also like that he's aggressive with his trigger.

That said, it's early. We saw Roger Mason, Jr. come out of the gates on fire with the Spurs. But after defenses got a scouting report on him and took him out of his comfort zones, it went downhill fast.

Neal's challenge of making it in the NBA as a short and not-too-athletic shooting guard will be tough. His shooting stroke gives him a fighting chance, though.

Cessation
11-02-2010, 01:08 AM
We might have gotten ourselves a cold blooded gun slinger we've been missing. For a stretch there it looked like he was running the show, acting the best player on the team. Shooting that of the dribble three in defenders face, kind of gave the impression. Even the shots he missed looked like they were going in. Guess chip england wasnt kidding when he said he's one of the best shooters they've ever had.

ezau
11-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I think he can play the 6th man role that Manu has been playing for us for years. Amazing how he shot 60 percent from the field and 50 percent on three-pointers.

However, I still think that he's still an unknown commodity for almost all teams. They haven't seen him play and it's quite interesting how he's gonna adjust once special defensive plays will be run against him in the future.

DespЏrado
Difference between Mason and Neal...Neal doesn't care about the score, or the fans, or the opponent. The shot comes out clean every time. There's effortless stroke there that is natural to him, and it's quick.

He's got it. The two Jacksons and Kerr were the only players who had quite the same coldness to their shots that the Spurs have had in the modern era....I think Neal is better.

Cessation
He doesnt look like mason at all, he can dribble much better, pump fake and take the good looking floater, plus he's much stronger mentally than mason. Who never did get over his epic playoff fail couple of years ago.

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 01:14 AM
He's fundamentally sound....So he just need to continue learning the offense, hustles on defense and SHOOT when he's open...but like some mentioned earlier...let's see how he does against someone other than the clippers.

Props to James Anderson...Keep learning.Keep getting better.

Libri
11-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Neal has a picture perfect shooting stroke. I also like that he's aggressive with his trigger.

That said, it's early. We saw Roger Mason, Jr. come out of the gates on fire with the Spurs. But after defenses got a scouting report on him and took him out of his comfort zones, it went downhill fast.

Neal's challenge of making it in the NBA as a short and not-too-athletic shooting guard will be tough. His shooting stroke gives him a fighting chance, though.

Neal even got a little respect from the Clipper defenders. Did you see that fake and then drive to the basket tear drop. That was very nice.

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 01:26 AM
RMJ never had any semblance of a driving game. Neal showed us a little floater and good ball handling. He's far far far more impressive than RMJ was, even when RMJ was hitting all of his seemingly off balance miracle 3s.

RMJ seemed like he had to be moving/off balance for his 3 point % to be high. He wasn't really a spot up shooter.

Neal is a much more fundamentally sound spot up shooter (and therefore already fits in better with the spurs as a role player) and we saw at least once instance where he has some ability to create a 3 point shot for himself, along with some slashing abilities. He's so much more well rounded than RMJ, and he gives a **** about defense. Did you see Neal kicking himself in the head on a missed rotation last game even though the hornets had a 24 second shot clock violation? I didn't see that level of defensive dedication with RMJ.

So yes I agree with the person who says that Neal looks nothing like RMJ.

NZ Spurs
11-02-2010, 01:27 AM
So going by the last few posts he's already better than Kerr, "the two Jacksons" and RMJ.

This must be Spurstalk.

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey man I just said RMJ. To say Neal is better than Kerr is laughable. It's just been one game.

I also realize that portion was not addressed to me but rather to another poster.

jiggy_55
11-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Roger Mason is a good shooter, but he never had a picture perfect shot and sometimes it seemed he would fling it and it would go in nothing but net. He was on fire for a long time. But when you have a great shooting from and have been shooting it so well throughout your career in college, europe, etc than it's a bit different. I think he's gonna be ok.

Their will be ups and downs for sure as their are with all shooters and he's still a rookie, but the Spurs love him and it's obvious why. He seems to be always confident regardless if he's scoring or not and his shot keeps dropping. His defense was good as well so surely he will get many minutes this season.

jiggy_55
11-02-2010, 01:34 AM
RMJ never had any semblance of a driving game. Neal showed us a little floater and good ball handling. He's far far far more impressive than RMJ was, even when RMJ was hitting all of his seemingly off balance miracle 3s.

RMJ seemed like he had to be moving/off balance for his 3 point % to be high. He wasn't really a spot up shooter.

Neal is a much more fundamentally sound spot up shooter (and therefore already fits in better with the spurs as a role player) and we saw at least once instance where he has some ability to create a 3 point shot for himself, along with some slashing abilities. He's so much more well rounded than RMJ, and he gives a **** about defense. Did you see Neal kicking himself in the head on a missed rotation last game even though the hornets had a 24 second shot clock violation? I didn't see that level of defensive dedication with RMJ.

So yes I agree with the person who says that Neal looks nothing like RMJ.

EXACTLY as I was saying in my post above. RMJ was making crazy shots, as if he needed to be off balance to score!

G-Dawgg
11-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Nope. Paul Pierce is "The Truth", but Gary Neal can be the "G-Train"..

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Nope..Paul Pierce is The Truth, but Gary Neal can be the G-Train..
:lmao

Choo Choo!!!!

DespЏrado
So going by the last few posts he's already better than Kerr, "the two Jacksons" and RMJ.

This must be Spurstalk.

It is and I will back it up, but before you jump on me. listen to what I said, I think he is a colder shooter than those listed above.

I think he shoots the shot with more cold bloodiness than just about anyone the spurs have ever had. Manu is a better proven 3 point shooter than Neal. But Neal shoots the ball without the encumbrance of caring about the pressure, he just let's it fly with good form, stroke, and follow through.

jimo2305
lol just to clear up some confusion here.. don't take neal as some one-trick pony who's just a spot up shooter.. he has a nice stroke but he also plays good D and he IS athletic.. i can tell this dude ran track at a point in his past.. i expected this sort of performance out of him when i saw him play in person and i continue to.. barring any injuries or setbacks of course

z0sa
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Neal scored half of our 32 points off the bench. Our bench outscored their bench 32-7. Definitely the difference in the game was our "other" guys.

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 01:44 AM
lol just to clear up some confusion here.. don't take neal as some one-trick pony who's just a spot up shooter.. he has a nice stroke but he also plays good D and he IS athletic.. i can tell this dude ran track at a point in his past.. i expected this sort of performance out of him when i saw him play in person and i continue to.. barring any injuries or setbacks of course

Enlighten us! How can you tell?

angelbelow
11-02-2010, 01:44 AM

Oh, such an important message.

Cessation
11-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Mason was skinny couldn't defend or rebound, couldn't handle, or pass, basically had only his shot to rely on, which deserted him when he crashed and burned in the 08' playoffs, revealing his lack of mental toughness that you need for deep playoff runs.

On the other hand Neal is stocky can defend and rebound well enough, and judging by his basketball career so far, has descent mental fortitude at the very least. The playoffs will show if thats trully the case, but from the single minded focus he displays when given minutes, I have a good feeling about him.

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 01:47 AM

If neal becomes a "two trick pony" - being a solid spot up shooter and being reasonably good on the defensive end - he'll end up being far more than the spurs expected out of him. This type of role player is sorely need (spot up shooter + defense).

Bonner's defense is subpar, I don't think anybody is going to deny that. RMJ had his miracle 3 stretch but was almost always subpar on defense, letting people blow by him far too often. The centerpiece was average on defense and couldn't do anything else.

EricB
11-02-2010, 01:47 AM
the one big difference I notice between him and Mason is ball handling...

Also much more fundamentally sound on the defensive end.

duncan228
11-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Notes on a scorecard: Tiago’s debut upstaged by Neal’s blistering shooting (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/notes-on-a-scorecard-tiagos-debut-upstaged-by-neals-blistering-shooting/)
by Tim Griffin

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/notes-on-a-scorecard-tiagos-debut-upstaged-by-neals-blistering-shooting/

AussieFanKurt
11-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Neal's defence as pointed out by many posters makes him a better RMJ and Pop obviously has faith in him giving him extended minutes. Same with JA. Lets hope they keep getting minutes

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 01:59 AM
The people that are saying Mason and Neal are nothing alike are using revisionist history..

Mason didn't show any major flaws during his great 1st half of the season in 08-09..he did mix mid-range shooting with his long range game..he was never great at driving to the basket, but he did mix some of that too..

His flaws as a ballhandler weren't exposed until defenses keyed in on him after a few months, like timvp said..

His defense wasn't exposed at all, there were actually people here talking about how he's a better defender than they thought he would be, just like they're saying about Neal right now..it wasn't until other teams started exposing his defense and going at him, where everybody here started calling him out for it, I was actually one of the first IIRC..

Also, Mason was going up against starting units most of the time, not bench guys like Neal has been going up against..Roger also didn't have any problems with confidence until the 2nd half of the season, and until Pop moved him to PG..

The bright side for Neal and what will help him out will be the fact that his role won't be as important as Mason's was during that 1st season..players like Mason and Neal should have strict roles as spark plugs, and Neal could fit into that minor role very well..he also won't have to guard SFs and bigger SGs, which Mason actually had to do at times..

I like what I'm seeing from Neal, but we'll see when teams adjust to him..a lot of revisionist history here..

EricB
11-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I think one thing your leaving out is that it seems Neal is a little mentally tougher than Roger Mason.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Hopefully he is..my point is that none of us saw any of Mason's flaws, including his lack of mental fortitude, until the 2nd half of the season, when the pressure was on..

Personally, I don't believe Neal will succumb to pressure, I'm just pointing it out..a man that would ride the tracks with a vomiting girl probably has a killer instinct IMO..

20beastie45
11-02-2010, 02:03 AM
and he cares about rebounding! 6 Reb

bigdog
11-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Neal has looked pretty solid. He looks extremely confident and has hit a few tough, contested shots along with the wide open ones. His ball handling seems to be much better than Mason's ever was, and he might not be a great defender, but he really hustles on that end. If he can be consistent, this signing is a steal.

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 02:05 AM
I think one thing your leaving out is that it seems Neal is a little mentally tougher than Roger Mason.

Well, to be fair, this facet is virtually impossible to discern just by watching the game.

Mental toughness is usually attributed to teams as a whole when they successfully "weather the storm" (being down double digits to the other team) and end up winning the game by making a run of their own.

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 02:06 AM
The people that are saying Mason and Neal are nothing alike are using revisionist history..

Mason didn't show any major flaws during his great 1st half of the season in 08-09..he did mix mid-range shooting with his long range game..he was never great at driving to the basket, but he did mix some of that too..

His flaws as a ballhandler weren't exposed until defenses keyed in on him after a few months, like timvp said..

His defense wasn't exposed at all, there were actually people here talking about how he's a better defender than they thought he would be, just like they're saying about Neal right now..it wasn't until other teams started exposing his defense and going at him, where everybody here started calling him out for it, I was actually one of the first IIRC..

Also, Mason was going up against starting units most of the time, not bench guys like Neal has been going up against..Roger also didn't have any problems with confidence until the 2nd half of the season, and until Pop moved him to PG..

The bright side for Neal and what will help him out will be the fact that his role won't be as important as Mason's was during that 1st season..players like Mason and Neal should have strict roles as spark plugs, and Neal could fit into that minor role very well..he also won't have to guard SFs and bigger SGs, which Mason actually had to do at times..

I like what I'm seeing from Neal, but we'll see when teams adjust to him..a lot of revisionist history here..

Am I really supposed to buy into the fact that Neal won't be better than RMJ was because RMJ ended up being a weaker version of Derek Anderson?

Neal already has a proven record and pedigree overseas that RMJ couldn't equal if he tried. He's been the leading scorer on a team that didn't have any other go to man. He's already hit more game winning shots in his career than RMJ ever will.

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 02:07 AM
I would not say that RMJ had a "lack of mental fortitude." I think the term "mental fortitude" has almost become a synonym for shooting well or going through and coming out of a shooting slump.

It's just a vague, empty term to me.

It does, however, usually mean what I described in my last post when being referenced to teams as a whole.

AussieFanKurt
11-02-2010, 02:10 AM
HarlmeHeat makes a good point its too early to say but we can wait and see

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 02:12 AM
It's definitely too early to say what his impact will be, but the Spurs better not stop calling his number when they need the spacing and scoring.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 02:17 AM
I never said to stop calling his number..he has clearly earned more minutes, and he currently deserves a spot in the rotation..I'm just saying, if you go back and look, this is what everybody was saying about Roger Mason too..

Mason turned out to be a shitty player by the end of his run with the Spurs, but at that point in time, everybody here loved him..

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Well the idea right now is to nurture the tremendous confidence that Neal and Anderson appear to have out of the gate. They're playing well, they're shooting well - I trust Pop will handle them carefully by making sure he doesn't put unnecessary pressure on them to make shots. Pop has always been good dealing with the psychological aspect of the game.

Recall when Bonner was going through a shooting slump. What did Pop do? He took the emphasis off making or missing the shot and placed the emphasis on passing up open shots. "If you pass up an open shot I'm taking you out of the game; I don't care if you miss" The results? Bonner's 3 pt % increased dramatically.

Pop is a mater at handling the psychological aspect of the game, and this is an especially important aspect to consider when dealing with rookies.

Obilivo
11-02-2010, 02:37 AM
I hope he would be another manu...

jjktkk
11-02-2010, 02:56 AM

Definitely some similarities between Mason and Neal, but Neal, right now, looks to be a better ball handler than Mason. Another difference is Neal is built more like a football player, stocky and strong, which should negate the fact that he is undersized for a 2 and should help him defend better than Mason.

mountainballer
11-02-2010, 04:05 AM
Personally, I don't believe Neal will succumb to pressure, I'm just pointing it out..a man that would ride the tracks with a vomiting girl probably has a killer instinct IMO..

jezzz, Harlem, that's really disgusting.....

and we should all hope that Neal doesn't succumb to some alcohol excess like in Italy. the man might also have a killer instinct when he faces an open bottle..

mingus
11-02-2010, 04:45 AM
It is and I will back it up, but before you jump on me. listen to what I said, I think he is a colder shooter than those listed above.

I think he shoots the shot with more cold bloodiness than just about anyone the spurs have ever had. Manu is a better proven 3 point shooter than Neal. But Neal shoots the ball without the encumbrance of caring about the pressure, he just let's it fly with good form, stroke, and follow through.

Where you not a Spurs fan in '03? After Neal helps us in the playoffs, then you can talk. It's a travesty to group Neal with them. His "coldest" moment came in a pre-season game for Christ's sake. It's well documented that Kerr and S-jax were vital for us in '03.

I go by games, not this "he shoots the ball with no encumbrance" bullshit that doesn't mean anything.

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Where you not a Spurs fan in '03? After Neal helps us in the playoffs, then you can talk. It's a travesty to group Neal with them. His "coldest" moment came in a pre-season game for Christ's sake. It's well documented that Kerr and S-jax were vital for us in '03.

I go by games, not this "he shoots the ball with no encumbrance" bullshit that doesn't mean anything.

Watch this video and see if you can grasp that the nba isn't the only place in the world to play ball...video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqTERRq3Pc) This shot is one of the clutch-est shots I've ever seen. Compare it to the Memorial day miracle or any play where the game winner is hit off of a set play with multiple screens. Then watch Neal hit the shot off his own dribble falling laterally out of bounds on a fade-away 3 over a legitimate double team and a defender at least 6'9" towering over him.

The defense doesn't even pretend to cover anybody else in the gym. The inbounder is wide open, the weak side is wide open.

Given all of that Gary Neal doesn't even hesitate to shoot it and the release is perfect.

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Once you finish digesting that try this video, every shot he makes is the same, perfect form. Quick release. video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leoWA8JaBuI)

temujin
11-02-2010, 05:42 AM
There was never an issue about the fact that Gary Neal can play the game of basketball.
He has been scoring tons of points everywhere.

In most teams, he's been the go-to guy.

Certainly in the italian league with Treviso, where he was considered the best pure shooter.

As to the point of whether he is athletic enough to play in the NBA, that's a non issue.
He is bulky and strong, if not a great leaper.
He can probably stay in front of most SGs in the NBA.

There is, however, a black spot in his CV.

In March this year, he was first suspended from Treviso, and then dispatched to Malaga.

He had skipped one practice, mentioning problems with his knee.
Instead, he came to Milano, partying with a buddy and spending the night out.
Which is OK, as far as I am concerned, EXCEPT that he lost the car keys at the restaurant, and later called the Team Manager of Treviso asking for help in getting back to Treviso.
This was the same guy he had just told he had a problem with his knee.
He later found the keys and spent the night out.

Whether he had other problems, I don't know.

Treviso is somewhat strict with discipline, so he was suspended and booted out.
Strict smallville discipline: sounds familiar?

The issue here is how smart this guy is OFF the court.

ElNono
11-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Is this the Church of Gary Neal thread? :lol

MannyIsGod
11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Watch this video and see if you can grasp that the nba isn't the only place in the world to play ball...video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqTERRq3Pc) This shot is one of the clutch-est shots I've ever seen. Compare it to the Memorial day miracle or any play where the game winner is hit off of a set play with multiple screens. Then watch Neal hit the shot off his own dribble falling laterally out of bounds on a fade-away 3 over a legitimate double team and a defender at least 6'9" towering over him.

The defense doesn't even pretend to cover anybody else in the gym. The inbounder is wide open, the weak side is wide open.

Given all of that Gary Neal doesn't even hesitate to shoot it and the release is perfect.

Yeah thats great and all but if I took Roger Mason and put him in an overseas league he'd be baby jordan overnight. Gary Neal has been playing great but the fact is that you don't know shit about how he's going to react once he's a known commodity to the other teams in this league have an understanding of what he likes to do.

The only thing there is to do is wait and see. Gary Neal's continued success is far from given.

cheguevara
11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
I never said to stop calling his number..he has clearly earned more minutes, and he currently deserves a spot in the rotation..I'm just saying, if you go back and look, this is what everybody was saying about Roger Mason too..

this is true.

it's only 1 game ppl. take it easy :rolleyes

cheguevara
11-02-2010, 08:51 AM
like someone said, he is small and when defenses focus on him, they could take him off his game. goddam r u mofos seriously starting church of neal after 1 game vs. the clippers?? :pctoss

yavozerb
11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
like someone said, he is small and when defenses focus on him, they could take him off his game. goddam r u mofos seriously starting church of neal after 1 game vs. the clippers?? :pctoss

If defenses start game planning for Gary Neal then its going to be nice season and I would gladly join the church of neal...:toast

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2010, 08:55 AM

I disagree with this. I was never a Mason fan, even when he was hitting shots his first year because of his horrible defense. It was pretty obvious then to a lot of people. That being said, after 2 games, Neal's defense looks more promising than Mason's ever did. I wouldn't even compare the two.

That was such a dumb cop-out excuse for his flame-out on so many levels. I don't have the time to get into it though.

DBMethos
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Maybe he's just a Clipper killer. I love what I've seen so far, but let's see how he does against the better teams in the league.

cheguevara
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
If defenses start game planning for Gary Neal and he still excells and contributes then its going to be nice season and I would gladly join the church of neal...:toast

fixed

Torontonio Rapspurs
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
sooo.... Neal or Anderson?
or do you think Anderson will see time at the 3?

BronxCowboy
11-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Actually I'm with yavozerb on this one. As long as Neal is drawing attention from the defense, the Spurs are in good shape. If he's an effective decoy, that's all they need.

BronxCowboy
11-02-2010, 09:23 AM
sooo.... Neal or Anderson?
or do you think Anderson will see time at the 3?

Yes.

BlairForceDejuan
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I only caught the 1st half (late games!) but I was almost tearing up watching Neal and Andersen tear it up like that. Once DB finds the inner beast again, we be staaaaccked.

BronxCowboy
11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah thats great and all but if I took Roger Mason and put him in an overseas league he'd be baby jordan overnight. Gary Neal has been playing great but the fact is that you don't know shit about how he's going to react once he's a known commodity to the other teams in this league have an understanding of what he likes to do.

The only thing there is to do is wait and see. Gary Neal's continued success is far from given.

RMJ was never very good, even when he was hitting shots. The think I hated about him is that he took a lot of dumb, dumb shots. It went unnoticed when they went in, but he always did it.

SenorSpur
11-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Hopefully he is..my point is that none of us saw any of Mason's flaws, including his lack of mental fortitude, until the 2nd half of the season, when the pressure was on..

Your point is well-taken. I agree that we all thought Mason was something that he wasn't. His flaws started to become apparent as his role got larger and when he was asked to play the backup PG slot.

This, is in no way an attempt to defend Mason because I wanted him gone too, but doesn't the fact that Mason hit about 4 game-winning shots during his 2-yr run indicate some degree of mental toughness?

SenorSpur
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Definitely some similarities between Mason and Neal, but Neal, right now, looks to be a better ball handler than Mason. Another difference is Neal is built more like a football player, stocky and strong, which should negate the fact that he is undersized for a 2 and should help him defend better than Mason.

Agree. And while Neal is not a good defensive player yet, he is definitely trying - very hard. When you see a player get upset with himself for missing a rotation, that's a good sign that he takes his defensive responsibilities very seriously.

mingus
11-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Your point is well-taken. I agree that we all thought Mason was something that he wasn't. His flaws started to become apparent as his role got larger and when he was asked to play the backup PG slot.

This, is in no way an attempt to defend Mason because I wanted him gone too, but doesn't the fact that Mason hit about 4 game-winning shots during his 2-yr run indicate some degree of mental toughness?

hate to bring out the cliche "tougnness is shown in times of adversity," but it's so true. it's how you handle adversity. Mason never recovered from his poor play. he let it wear on him. the jury is still out on Neal.

TJastal
11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I disagree with this. I was never a Mason fan, even when he was hitting shots his first year because of his horrible defense. It was pretty obvious then to a lot of people. That being said, after 2 games, Neal's defense looks more promising than Mason's ever did. I wouldn't even compare the two.

That was such a dumb cop-out excuse for his flame-out on so many levels. I don't have the time to get into it though.

Would you also claim it a cop out to say that Jefferson's poor play last year was exacerbated by having to play against power forwards almost every game?

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Would you also claim it a cop out to say that Jefferson's poor play last year was exacerbated by having to play against power forwards almost every game?

Jefferson wasn't streaky because he played power forward on occasion.

Jefferson didn't have a terrible month of January and February because he played power forward on occasion either.

So yes, whoever did blame Jefferson's streaky year last year on Pop playing him at power forward on occasion is wrong. IMO So that too is a dumb cop-out.

SpurCharger
11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Yeah hes Has Played well The last 2 Games.... Im Impressed, I hope he can keep it up.....His defense was good.... He was gettin some bullshit calls on him against Gordon..... But he Battled Through it...

bigfan
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Im not gonna knock RMJ, he was a good teammate and seemed like a great guy. The jury is still out on Neal. Looks like he has the stuff as a player so far, lets just hope hes not some gangsta-type jerkoff.

mingus
11-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Tjastal, you need to give it up on Mason's defense. last i checked, he's shooting 20% in NY. he clearly sucks.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Choo Choo was awesome. If he and Anderson can keep this up and improve, the Spurs will not have any problems with depth this season.

koriwhat
11-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Tjastal, you need to give it up on Mason's defense. last i checked, he's shooting 20% in NY. he clearly sucks.

20%, ouch!

mountainballer
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Choo Choo was awesome.

you guys are really obsessed with all the train stuff.

thank god his first name isn't Thomas.

TJastal
11-02-2010, 11:35 AM

He's played a grand total of 21 minutes so far. Attempted like 4 shots. Hard to draw any conclusions based on that.

rascal
11-02-2010, 11:37 AM

I am more interested in how Anderson looked? He has the higher upside potential.

MaNu4Tres
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
He's played a grand total of 21 minutes so far. Attempted like 4 shots. Hard to draw any conclusions based on that.

I wonder why D'Antoni is hardly playing him.

TFloss32
11-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't know if the Gary Neal experiment will last, but the dude is obviously talented and will hopefully provide us with a consistent spark off the bench. IMO, this team is going to be a lot more exciting than last year's. The transition game, ball movement and added youth is what already stands out.

benefactor
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM

That would be so epic.

NASpurs
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Way ahead of you...

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/945/garytrain1.jpg

benefactor
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
:lol

DespЏrado
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
oh god...

Quiet Strength
11-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Those are my exact thoughts. I hope he doesn't turn into mason.

koriwhat
11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Those are my exact thoughts. I hope he doesn't turn into mason.

he won't unless he throws a contest to win tickets and airfare to ny for xmas and renigs on that promise.

ElNono
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I think he already has better handles than Mason. He has that floater in the lane working for him.

The problem with Mason was that everything was based off his shooting. His shot wasn't going in, and then his whole game came down to earth. I think there was something mental behind it.

I like Neal's toughness too. He defends with purpose, even if he makes mistakes. Fights through screens, and stuff like that. That's something Mason rarely did.

ohmwrecker
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I think he already has better handles than Mason. He has that floater in the lane working for him.

I like Neal's toughness too. He defends with purpose, even if he makes mistakes. Fights through screens, and stuff like that. That's something Mason rarely did.

This shouldn't even be a debate. It's fairly obvious that Neal's skill are way beyond what RMJ had to offer. Ball handling, defense, shooting, awareness, spacing, etc. I'd like to see Neal spend some more time at the PG this season.

yavozerb
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM

The problem with Mason was that everything was based off his shooting. His shot wasn't going in, and then his whole game came down to earth. I think there was something mental behind it.

agreed...even went down low and boxed out Jordan for a rebound. Its early in the season and just like every player he will have some good moments and not so good moments.

redskinfan
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Who was the clown that said Neal isnt athletic? he seemed to move very well with and without the ball and has some quickness unlike Bonner who is not athletic.

dbestpro
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Nope. Paul Pierce is "The Truth", but Gary Neal can be the "G-Train"..

Maybe "The Hammer" or "The Nail" or some other word that works with Neal. I really don't get Spur fans mocking their own player when he is doing so well. You don't see Laker fans calling Kobe "The Rapist".

wunderkindepiphany
11-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Gary Neal is doing well, but still has quite a bit of room for improvement. Those who say he's built like a football player are off the mark. His trunk and his musculature are not characteristic of a football player. He is a more compact that RMJ, but he also gives up some height in comparison, so that is to be expected. His defensive rotations still need work, but he is aggressive and that bodes well. His shot is beautiful. He will need to continue to place his emphasis on defensive rotation and footwork, because he will constantly be placed in mismatch situations with bigger/heavier players who will attempt to post him up or use their size as an advantage. Overall, I like him on the second unit and his shot is falling so thats nice to see. I'd love to watch him, George, Blair, Dice, and Jefferson tear it up.

TD 21
11-02-2010, 07:19 PM

You make some valid points, but the difference is, in Mason's first season with the Spurs, he was the third option offensively. Neal is so far down the list of concerns for teams and will continue be, no matter how well he plays. If he's a 40% 3 point shooter by mid season, I'm sure they'll be a brief mention of him on scouting reports, but teams aren't going to make him a priority or key on him against this team.

pjjrfan
11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Neal brings in energy and what looks like a great shooting stroke. Anderson also looks like an energy guy which really helps our bench, Neal's play was vital in the hOrnets comeback attempt, and helped break down the Clippers in the 2nd qtr.

BackHome
11-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't know about the "Truth" but the guy played lights out last night. I kept thinking "Ok - who's minutes is he going to take?" At this point he is playing much better then Hill he has better ball handling skills, much better shooter and much better passer the dude has game.

ivanfromwestwood
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
trade Hill.................just fucking around but seriously, he is playing better than Hill and with his injury it should give Neal more mins. if he can defend respectable, run the team/PnR and shoot lights out, why not trade Hill for a good SF? his defense is overrated. i cant remember one game where i thought Hill shut someone down. can you?

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 10:51 PM
You make some valid points, but the difference is, in Mason's first season with the Spurs, he was the third option offensively. Neal is so far down the list of concerns for teams and will continue be, no matter how well he plays. If he's a 40% 3 point shooter by mid season, I'm sure they'll be a brief mention of him on scouting reports, but teams aren't going to make him a priority or key on him against this team.

I agree, that's actually what I meant when I said his role wouldn't be as important as Mason's during his 1st year here..that's why I think he will end up being a better fit than Mason..

My point is just that people here like to jump the gun..

So for those that are questioning some of the differences, here are some of timvp's game thoughts from the beginning of that season that I'm referring to..

Personally, the biggest bright spot for the Spurs was the play of Roger Mason, Jr. After an uneven preseason, Mason showed why the coaching staff has been gushing over him since he signed as a free agent. Outside of Duncan and Parker, Mason was the only Spur to hit double-figures in scoring. Offensively, he showed a wide repertoire. He hit a mid-range jumper off the dribble and also had a stop and pop three-pointer on a fast break. I was also impressed with his patience and his ballhandling on the offensive end. Defensively, he also showed a lot of promise. He still is a work in progress, especially on transition defense, but he’s an active defender. Whether he was on Barbosa on the wing or Matt Barnes in the low block, Mason competed and gave the appearance that he could grow into being a good defender in the Spurs system. On the whole, I was very impressed with what I saw from Mason in his San Antonio debut.

Watching the Spurs fall to 0-2 isn’t exactly loads of fun. What is exciting, though, is seeing how well Roger Mason, Jr. is fitting into the Spurs system. He’s showing an extremely well-rounded game that will certainly help the Spurs greatly as the season progresses. Not only is he shooting the ball very well, the pace at which he plays is perfect for how the Spurs run their offense. He’s smart with the ball and already has formed good chemistry with Duncan when they run a two-man game. He came to the Spurs with a reputation of having poor shot selection but, if anything, he’s not shooting enough. Defensively, I also really like what he’s doing. He not only can defend out on the perimeter, he’s also tough down on the blocks and when fighting through screens. He still has areas where he can improve but Mason has played just about as well as anyone could have expected after two games.

Roger Mason, Jr. was a beacon of hope for the third straight game. Offensively, he gave the Spurs a few moments of life. Though he didn’t shoot lights out and he did have a couple of ugly turnovers, San Antonio is functioning much better offensively when he’s on the court. He started the second half and Mason continues on the path of earning more and more minutes as the season goes along. Defensively, he had both good moments and poor moments but overall he appears to be picking up the schemes quite well.

Lost in Parker’s huge game and Duncan’s gaudy stat line was the extraordinary play by Roger Mason, Jr. Building on what he showed in his first three games, Mason was a tad bit more aggressive and that turned into 26 important points. His outside stroke looks very good right now. He has a rapid release that is so fast that sometimes he doesn’t even have time to square all the way up to the basket. It also doesn’t seem to matter if the shots he gets are off of a stationary catch, off movement or off the dribble – he’s draining them all. Although he did most of his damage from the perimeter, he also demonstrated several crafty ball handling maneuvers that allowed him to attack the basket off the dribble.

Those are the game thoughts from the first 4 games of the season..it keeps going like this for a while, obviously some bad games mixed in, but mostly positive, until Mason collapsed..his defense progressively became worse, and his offense became worse as other teams realized his weaknesses..

I hope Neal turns out better, he's in a much better role with the current Spurs team, so he's in a much better position to succeed..again, my point is simply that it's way too early to make any conclusions, and the people that are dismissing the comparisons are simply wrong IMO..

Trill Clinton
11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
It's still early, he would have to do what he did against the Clippers against the top tier teams(say that 3x fast) in the West and show up in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
For a guy playing his third pro game, I'm very impressed. Same goes with Anderson. There's not really any reason to think those guys are getting by because there's no game film on them. It's certainly not like either one is going to demand any extra defensive attention. If RJ continues to play this way there are at least four other guys that teams have to worry about, allowing Anderson and Neal to just play their part.

mingus
11-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Know why he's played that little? Cuz he stunk it up so bad in preseason.

TJastal
11-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Know why he's played that little? Cuz he stunk it up so bad in preseason.

Stinking in preseason earned Bogans a starting gig if I recall.

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2010, 12:03 AM
:lol Simmons' podcast comments about Neal today were hilarious..

analyzed
11-03-2010, 12:04 AM
What people don't realize is a scorer from the euroleque like Manu , Splitter or Neal have a better chance of making an impact immediately in the NBA as compared to someone comming out of college or D -league. C'mon guys your comparing 25 year old seasoned pros with kids who haven't played against men professionally. I find it naive of the american public ( as some in this forum suggested) to think guys like Gee, Gist , temple had a better chance of delivering immediately vs Neal. Simple American stupidity

peskypesky
11-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Neal definitely impressed me. But then again, so did Roger Mason not too long ago. Let's hope Neal keeps impressing us.

LeCrab
11-03-2010, 12:19 AM
:lol Simmons' podcast comments about Neal today were hilarious..
what podcast post link....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Neal even got a little respect from the Clipper defenders. Did you see that fake and then drive to the basket tear drop. That was very nice.

That was actually what impressed me the most on offense because we all knew he had a stroke, but it also looks like the kid can also drive the ball when he's run off his spots.

I will say that we should temper expectations at this point though - it's very early in the season and most teams don't start to play well until Dec at the earliest, so right now he's playing against teams which are at about 70% of what they'll be later in the season.

gospursgojas
11-03-2010, 12:39 AM
One game.

Clippers.

Third game of the season.

.....that said, Neal was impressive

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-03-2010, 12:48 AM
BTW, LeCrab, your sig vid is hilarious - love how you have him doing a crossover! :lmao

Phenomanul
11-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Gary Neal is playing like a younger version of Derek Fisher.

jjktkk
11-03-2010, 12:54 AM
What people don't realize is a scorer from the euroleque like Manu , Splitter or Neal have a better chance of making an impact immediately in the NBA as compared to someone comming out of college or D -league. C'mon guys your comparing 25 year old seasoned pros with kids who haven't played against men professionally. I find it naive of the american public ( as some in this forum suggested) to think guys like Gee, Gist , temple had a better chance of delivering immediately vs Neal. Simple American stupidity

Being naive okay,but really no need to call Americans stupid. After all you seem to like this stupid Amercian website.

ceperez
11-03-2010, 01:12 AM

Interesting similarity. Fisher of course is only 6'1". Let's however hope that Neal has the kind of klutch mentality as Fisher.

mingus
11-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Stinking in preseason earned Bogans a starting gig if I recall.

Of course, he's probably their best defender at that position (which speaks to their lack of depth) and he's being coached by a defensive-minded coach. Until at least one of those things changes, he will be in the starting lineup.

Mason is an offensive-minded player playing for an offensive-minded coach that runs a loose offense and he still can't get burn.

WildcardManu
11-03-2010, 01:38 AM
He just has to keep up a level of consistency. If he does, the Spurs got really lucky.

Refocus
11-03-2010, 01:41 AM
It's nice having someone else who can create his own shot.

Leonard Curse
11-03-2010, 01:55 AM

you nailed it +1
like the points of neal and rmj defense, mason played defense because he had to. neal seems to actually want the ball!! that goes for anderson as well, im floored by his defensive intensity so far i mean guys this is freaking exciting

AussieFanKurt
11-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Commentators made a point that his man got by him once and the look on his face was one of anger. He is dedicated and has a good work ethic and obviously plays to win

Leonard Curse
11-03-2010, 02:15 AM
dont know or care too much about the guy off court unless he messes with me lmao but on court ive been saying this since summer league, he appears to have strong leadership qualities and a good balance of confidence. this is why i think hell last alot longer than mason did.

he realizes this is a big break for him and a chance to clean the slate. i also heard them say he stays late and comes in early to practice all the time so i think hes very focused, its definitely paying off!!

mountainballer
11-03-2010, 04:37 AM

i like this comparison.
(Fisher has always been a better ball handler, but there are quite a few similarities)

Spurs Brazil
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
what podcast post link....

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?########=1&callsign=ESPNRADIO&id=5756232

TJastal
11-03-2010, 02:07 PM
i like this comparison.
(Fisher has always been a better ball handler, but there are quite a few similarities)

I kind of think of him as a poor man's Shannon Brown.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2010, 02:11 PM

At least we know what a complete sentence looks like. We also can spell words like "league" and "coming", and can end a sentence with a period. (A few of us can, anyway.)

Mel_13
11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?########=1&callsign=ESPNRADIO&id=5756232

Spurs-Clips talk begins at 54:30.

AlleyOopNazi
11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Im sure many noticed, but I would like to point out that Neal an Hill have stayed past practice times to train hard on their shots.
I will link you to last weeks Pop Interview, pay absolutely no attention to pop, but just watch the closet basket to the camera and how smooth Neal's jumper is in the background I tallied the makes and misses at 38 of 49 for a .775 practice average in the 3 minute interview from across the 3 point line. And thats the truth!
Now that is a jumpshot (http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/101031_pop.html)

Obstructed_View
11-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Im sure many noticed, but I would like to point out that Neal an Hill have stayed past practice times to train hard on their shots.
I will link you to last weeks Pop Interview, pay absolutely no attention to pop, but just watch the closet basket to the camera and how smooth Neal's jumper is in the background I tallied the makes and misses at 38 of 49 for a .775 practice average in the 3 minute interview from across the 3 point line. And thats the truth!
Now that is a jumpshot (http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/101031_pop.html)

That's not a very good percentage for an undefended guy in practice, is it?

AlleyOopNazi
11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
It would win an all star 3 point shoot out outright

Phenomanul
11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
That's not a very good percentage for an undefended guy in practice, is it?

The time it took for him to take all those shots is far more impressive...

objective
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM

well, you don't remember my posts then, :lol

no revisionist history needed with me, I knocked Mason's defense 10-29-08 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108259&page=2) which surprised you:

Mason should get playing time over Finley. Neither was any good defensively but I'd rather lose with Mason. Another season starting Finley = no reasonable chance to win.

Mason wasn't good defensively? from what I saw, he was very good defensively..

Oh snaps!

TD 21
11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree, that's actually what I meant when I said his role wouldn't be as important as Mason's during his 1st year here..that's why I think he will end up being a better fit than Mason..

My point is just that people here like to jump the gun..

So for those that are questioning some of the differences, here are some of timvp's game thoughts from the beginning of that season that I'm referring to..

Those are the game thoughts from the first 4 games of the season..it keeps going like this for a while, obviously some bad games mixed in, but mostly positive, until Mason collapsed..his defense progressively became worse, and his offense became worse as other teams realized his weaknesses..

I hope Neal turns out better, he's in a much better role with the current Spurs team, so he's in a much better position to succeed..again, my point is simply that it's way too early to make any conclusions, and the people that are dismissing the comparisons are simply wrong IMO..

People (fans) everywhere like to jump the gun. Contrary to what some may think, there's not a lot unique to, or separating the vast majority of fan bases in sports...at least in North America.

It's definitely too early to draw any conclusions, but that's how some fans are. Just wait until Splitter goes for something like 12/7/2 in only 20-25 minutes, inevitably you'll see a post talking about how he's the next Robinson or Duncan.

cheguevara
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
:lmao

you were saying?

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
well, you don't remember my posts then, :lol

no revisionist history needed with me, I knocked Mason's defense 10-29-08 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108259&page=2) which surprised you:

Oh snaps!

No, I actually do remember that you and Manu4Tres were probably the first 2 guys that were consistently against Mason, good calls..my point was just that the majority of people, pretty much all of ST, including myself, were on the Mason bandwagon for a while..

I actually did think his defense was passable for a while..

Spurs Brazil
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Gary Neal Beginning To Impress
by Bill Schoening | November 4, 2010

The path that led 26 year old rookie Gary Neal to the NBA was somewhat unconventional, but now that he's here, the sturdily built shooting guard wants to soak it all in. Afterall, there was a great share of dues paying before Neal could realize his NBA dreams.

Keep reading: http://www.nba.com/spurs/timeout/20secondto.html

zocool16
11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Keep doing it, son.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
http://runningtrain.org/images/running-train-logo-large.png

Big P
11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
This guy is the real deal!

Russ
11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Gary Neal is so the Truth he'd make Walter Berry blush.

jag
11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I see you Gary

NASpurs
11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
http://runningtrain.org/images/running-train-logo-large.png

Had to use my imagination a bit to see what's going on but hilarious nonetheless :lol

Russ
11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Gary Neal reminds me of Eddie Murphy in "The Distinguished Gentleman."

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Had to use my imagination a bit to see what's going on but hilarious nonetheless :lol

:lol You see it..

angelbelow
11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Neal's playing well but for those calling him a PG or a shut down defender might want to slow it down.

Hooks
11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
CHOO CHOO!

He played great tonight!

LeCrab
11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
this gary neal interview shows hes humble....... and these choo choo jokes have to stop... lame fags disrespecting your own team

Hooks
11-08-2010, 09:39 PM
this gary neal interview shows hes humble....... and these choo choo jokes have to stop... lame fags disrespecting your own team

Him and his friends ran a train on a girl, how is it disrespectful?

DesignatedT
11-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Real deal Neal is the man!!!!!!!!!!

Cessation
11-08-2010, 09:41 PM
choo choo is a high five, not a diss

NRHector
11-08-2010, 09:42 PM
this gary neal interview shows hes humble....... And these choo choo jokes have to stop... Lame fags disrespecting your own team+1

dbestpro
11-08-2010, 09:43 PM

This.........sad that it takes a Cavs fan to point it out.

NASpurs
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM

He ran train on a girl but didn't rape her, so wtf is your point?

People here need to get the sand out of their vaginas.

Old School 44
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Great shooting from Gary "The Real Deal" Neal!
I know it's early, but this roster is shaping up to be maybe one of our deepest ever.

BanditHiro
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
This.........sad that it takes a Cavs fan to point it out.

he is actually a converted spurs fan i think

jag
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Him and his friends ran a train on a girl, how is it disrespectful?

Are you retarded?

Ross Parrot
11-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Another steal for the Spurs:wakeup

Hooks
11-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Are you retarded?

You called me a retard, that's disrespectful :cry

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Running a train isn't necessarily a bad thing..

There are a lot of guys AND girls that enjoy doing it, from a fetish standpoint..Neal is apparently one of those guys..what's the big deal?..

zocool16
11-09-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm not really getting this train stuff. I must have missed something. But how many games till we become members of the "Church of Gary Neal"? Lol.

Chieflion
11-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm not really getting this train stuff. I must have missed something. But how many games till we become members of the "Church of Gary Neal"? Lol.
We are all passengers.

mattyc
11-09-2010, 06:34 AM
14 minutes for 15 points? Can't argue with that.

benefactor
11-09-2010, 06:46 AM
We are all passengers.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/seewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Em-City
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Gary "the Real Deal" Neal.... doin the bizness

ddjeffries
11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Gary "the Real Deal" Neal.... doin the bizness

Now that is a nickname. Gary "the Real Deal" Neal. or.... Gary" the Seal the Deal with a long range Spill" Neal. :lol

Obstructed_View
11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
We are all passengers.

^Sheer awesomeness

I'm on the Gary Neal train!

:jack <train whistle> :jack

it's me
11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
chu chu....... chu chu....

TwelveGs210
11-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Get out the annointing oil..

wontstartdumbthreads
11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Get out the annointing oil..

and the Vaseline.

Dr Cox
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Neal is a pure shooter.

I like.

Em-City
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
and the Vaseline.

Coz he got the smooth stroke :lol

LeCrab
11-25-2010, 03:34 PM
The rookie stepped up to the line with pressure and knocked down all three free throws like it was nothing....

Cessation
11-25-2010, 07:58 PM
The rookie stepped up to the line with pressure and knocked down all three free throws like it was nothing....

Totaly agree, he was so casual about it. I've been very impressed with him this year, hell do it in the playoffs too, hes that cold.

Cessation
11-25-2010, 08:10 PM
wang

duncan228
11-25-2010, 11:11 PM
...He was awarded a trio of free throws, needing to make all three to force OT.

He did, to the delight of coach Gregg Popovich.

“Sometimes in that situation, it’s hard to make three free throws in a row,” Popovich said. “He knocked them down. That’s pretty strong on his part.”

Popovich showed his faith in Neal by calling the game-tying shot for him. It could have been a game-winner — after Minnesota’s Wes Johnson fouled him, Neal’s 3-pointer hit the back of the rim.

Instead, Neal — an 80-percent foul shooter — had to earn the tie the hard way.

“I thought he showed some good guts and stepped up,” Popovich said.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/25/neal-clutch-times-three/

jimo2305
11-26-2010, 02:00 AM
after seeing him up close at the open practice during the offseason.. i knew he was somethin' special :D

i can't believe he's a rookie.. doesn't play like one lol.. what a steal

awktalk
11-26-2010, 02:18 AM
i can't believe he's a rookie.. doesn't play like one lol.. what a steal

He might be a rookie in the technical sense, but dude is 26 yrs old and played in Europe for several years. Obviously the Spurs' overseas recruiters are working overtime and found a pure shooter with ice in his veins. Chalk up another one to RC and his crew.

jimo2305
11-26-2010, 05:57 AM
He might be a rookie in the technical sense, but dude is 26 yrs old and played in Europe for several years. Obviously the Spurs' overseas recruiters are working overtime and found a pure shooter with ice in his veins. Chalk up another one to RC and his crew.

oh i see.. that does explain alot lol

benefactor
11-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Neal is like Capt. Jack in a PG's body. It wouldn't suprise me to see him pull off something similar to what Jack did in '03 in this years playoffs.

temujin
11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Neal was tested in some real fans' pressure.

The Minnesota thing was big joke, in comparison.

jimo2305
11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Neal was tested in some real fans' pressure.

The Minnesota thing was big joke, in comparison.

true.. makes sense too

Quasar
11-26-2010, 04:37 PM
3 in a row in a can't-miss situation, in clutch time is indeed something that I would only have expected Manu to make... Even though Parker/Duncan often make their FTs when it really counts, it would not have been out of the ordinary for Parker/Duncan to miss one of the three.

jimo2305
11-26-2010, 04:54 PM
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9176/neal.png

lol made this..

so who's gotten their tickets? ;)

benefactor
11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
:lol...Nice.

TJastal
11-26-2010, 05:03 PM

lol made this..

Should have made it with the fly undone, for added realism. :rollin

jimo2305
11-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Should have made it with the fly undone, for added realism. :rollin

:lmao:lmao didnt think of that

LeCrab
11-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Another good game he keeps making plays and played goo defense... When anderson gets back we will have the best bench.

Cessation
11-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I got my ticket!!! CHOO CHOO1!

Whisky Dog
11-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Another good game he keeps making plays and played goo defense... When anderson gets back we will have the best bench.

That goo defense got Bellineli all sticky today

Anonymous Cowherd
11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NPr5f.gif

Trill Clinton
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM

lol made this..

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx100/MABOcho/v8o7qv.gif

timvp
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Pop did a good job of trusting Neal. In his first few stints, Neal was horrible.

benefactor
11-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Indeed. It's good to see Pop's "hook" restraint when it comes to Neal. Neal seems to have good mental toughness. He makes mistakes...but he never stops playing hard on either end.

jimo2305
11-29-2010, 01:20 AM
lol neal express made a pit stop in new orleans and picked up some believers ;)

next destination please...

ALL ABOOAAARRDDD!!

Cessation
11-29-2010, 02:54 AM
lol neal express made a pit stop in new orleans and picked up some believers ;)

next destination please...

ALL ABOOAAARRDDD!!

Choo Choo!!

BOHOLANO#21
11-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Got my ticket. Choochoo!!!

zocool16
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Choo Choo. He is the truth.

Pauleta14
12-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Everything started with Manu drawing a play...

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Right now, he's looking awesome! Couldn't be more impressed.

UnWantedTheory
12-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Naw dawg, he da trufe.

arodz
12-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Ask again in postseason, where he has yet to do a damn thing.

hooperflash
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Getting some boob action.. https://twitter.com/caambriiaa/status/289179789024182272

timtonymanu
01-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Ahh... the good old days when Neal was a fan favorite.

Brazil
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Getting some boob action.. https://twitter.com/caambriiaa/status/289179789024182272

Who is she?

DAF86
01-09-2013, 11:53 PM
If the Spurs season was on the line I wouldn't trust on anybody over Neal to take the shot.

Brunodf
01-09-2013, 11:55 PM
What

Slutter McGee
01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
If the Spurs season was on the line I wouldn't trust on anybody over Neal to take the shot.

2/10

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Juggity
01-10-2013, 12:10 AM

:tu

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Damn, I need to go to bed.

superbigtime
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Ahh... the good old days when Neal was a fan favorite.

Still love him.

chapnis
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Still like him, just don't like Pops use of him

Jumi
01-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Sometimes I wish I could transport through the TV screen and smack him on the back of the head, tbh! "Tighten up, fella! Some of the shit you doing is stupid!" Other than that, I wouldn't trade him for the world!!

Werdsniper2
01-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I've been saying this for a while now. Neal is strictly a shooting guard, and should be used as such... not continuously thrust into the PG role when he is clearly not suitable for it.

He will get his assists here and there, but he is obviously much better at catch n shoot, along with his typical floaters.

elemento
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Still love him

No his fault that he was asked to play the point when it's clear that he can't.

timtonymanu
01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Still love him.

So do I, but I remember the forum loved him before. A lot of Neal with it threads were made. Now, it's all trade Neal, Neal sucks etc.

spurraider21
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
There have been so many Neal trade requests on this forum since the offseason. To which I've only had (and needed) one response: dude hits big shots

i still remember Memphis game 5 when Manu made that crazy shot that turned out to be a 2, and next possession down 3 with only like 1.5 seconds or so, with my pops saying Manu needs the last shot, I told him Neal had a better chance due to his quicker release. Low and behold Neal got it and had enough time for 1 dribble and a shot... And made it to send it to OT. Plus that crazy OT win over clippers last reg season

TDMVPDPOY
01-10-2013, 10:45 PM
gary neal playing pg but doesnt or shown any pg skills, if bringing the ball up the court is a pg skill, then every fkn clown can do that shit....

in the half court he doesnt show any pg skills like creating/setting plays, pacing the game....all of that is done by ginoboli when both are on the court at the same time

when Neal is on the court with no other play maker, this clown cant even hold onto the ball....

so why is pop forcing this clown to play pg position when he cant do anything what is expected from a pg, dude is also atrocious on defense also...he should stick to being a SG, and let the pg duties goto a clown who can handle the pg role...

him being a shooter could still get the same amount of shots, so i dunno why he needs to take the pg role....