PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry's deep thoughts by Marc Stein

Manu20
05-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Brent Barry's deep thoughts
By Marc Stein, ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/dailydime

After mighty struggles in Round 2 against the Sonics, Barry was mighty good on Sunday: 21 points, 8-for-12 shooting, five 3s, and three steals.PHOENIX --

There was a time, many months back, when the name nominated for Best Free Agent Signing O' The Summer was rarely Steve Nash.

It was usually Brent Barry.

Barry, not Nash, was the guy widely billed as the missing piece for a championship contender. Even more than the eventual MVP of the whole league, Barry was initially seen as the potentially perfect fit for his new team.

It took only 100 games or so for Bones to dislodge the weight of those expectations.

It finally happened for the slender shooter in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals -- Game 104 of the season for the San Antonio Spurs, counting exhibitions. After two weeks of self-loathing throughout a nightmare series against his former employers from Seattle, Barry dropped 21 clutch points Sunday, including back-to-back triples inside the final five minutes to stretch a two-point Spurs lead to eight. Despite a wrecking-ball 41 points from Amare Stoudemire and a ho-hum 29 points and 13 assists from Nash, the Phoenix Suns never got closer than six thereafter in a 121-114 defeat.

"A lot of people have talked about a lot of the things I'm supposed to bring to the table for this team," Barry said. "This year, I've been battling and trying to get out of my own way. For at least an afternoon I was able to do that."

Barry watched with envy in the previous round when Nash somehow outshined his new MVP trophy by playing the series of his life against his old pals from Dallas. Bones would have settled for a fraction of that performance against the Sonics but didn't manage even that, regressing to the point that he was pulled from the starting lineup before Game 5 and replaced by Manu Ginobili.

The struggles sapped Barry of what little confidence he had left after a regular season that didn't go much better. After shooting 50.4 percent from the field and 45.2 percent on 3-pointers in his final Sonics season, Barry slumped to 42.3 percent and 35.7 percent in those categories as a Spur.

Horry (whose 12 big points included this monster slam) and Barry did nothing to dispel the conventional wisdom that the San Antonio bench will make the difference in the series for the Spurs.Yet Barry never lost the support of his teammates. He told Tim Duncan before Sunday's series opener, "I owe it to you guys to play well." Duncan told Barry to relax and stop beating himself up, and Robert Horry offered a similar message.

"I told him, 'I know how you feel,' " Horry said, recalling his own failures last spring in an emotional second-round showdown with the Lakers after leaving Hollywood for South Texas. "He wanted to beat them more than anything. I told him: 'Now the pressure's off. We got this off your back.' "

Barry and Horry then proceeded to combine for 7-for-12 shooting from long distance and 33 points overall in today's Game 1. That helped keep the lane open for the Spurs' two hobbling stars -- Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili -- to combine with Tony Parker for a whopping 77 points.

The challenge now, of course, is doing it more than once, but Barry was cautiously hopeful in the victorious locker room. He thinks he knows what he's been doing wrong -- pressing -- and believes that Sunday's 13-point salvo in the fourth quarter "can cure a lot of ills" floating in his head.

Whether it does or doesn't, you needn't worry about Barry losing his All-Star sense of humor, heavily self-deprecating and treasured here in Dimedom. Asked if he's been trying too hard all season, Barry said: "Gee, lemme think."

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
He thinks he knows what he's been doing wrong -- pressing -- and believes that Sunday's 13-point salvo in the fourth quarter "can cure a lot of ills" floating in his head.

Whether it does or doesn't, you needn't worry about Barry losing his All-Star sense of humor, heavily self-deprecating and treasured here in Dimedom. Asked if he's been trying too hard all season, Barry said: "Gee, lemme think."

At least Barry keeps his sense of humor. The Spurs tried hard to not put pressure on him this season (despite what some posters may think) and I guess he just was pressing himself way too much and not able to ever snap out of the funk.

Here's to you, Brent Barry.

Now keep it up in Game 2.

timvp
05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
He thinks he knows what he's been doing wrong -- pressing -- and believes that Sunday's 13-point salvo in the fourth quarter "can cure a lot of ills" floating in his head.

So Barry admits to pressing and not playing up to his abilities, yet Whottt says that Barry is playing fine and it's all Pops fault that Barry has played poorly. Billion Barry basically backed up everything I said about him all year. He was pressing, playing scared, getting in his own way and thinking too much.

But playing a team who is not going to guard the perimeter can break any shooter out of his slump.

SPARKY
05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Despite a wrecking-ball 41 points from Amare Stoudemire and a ho-hum 29 points and 13 assists from Nash, the Phoenix Suns never got closer than six thereafter in a 121-114 defeat.

Spurs took the Suns' best shot and dropped them.

spurschick
05-22-2005, 09:36 PM
http://www.spurschick.com/bb.jpg

timvp
05-22-2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.spurschick.com/bb.jpg

:lol

Here's my version...

http://www.spurstalk.com/bbwideopen.gif

:hat

NeoConIV
05-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Also from the ESPN site...

Play of the Day
Manu Ginobili, San Antonio: Ginobili banked in a halfcourt heave at the first-quarter buzzer, but that only partly explains the shot's appearance here. More indicative of how San Antonio operates was the animated scolding Gregg Popovich gave Beno Udrih for not heeding defensive instructions. While Manu was receiving congratulations for his good fortune, Udrih was getting an earful.

spurschick
05-22-2005, 09:45 PM

Here's my version...

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Tek_XX
05-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Who needs to put pressure on Barry, the dudes a highly paid professional basketball player who didn't play well for a good chunk of the season. He provides all the pressure he needs.

whottt
05-22-2005, 10:31 PM
So Barry admits to pressing and not playing up to his abilities, yet Whottt says that Barry is playing fine and it's all Pops fault that Barry has played poorly. Billion Barry basically backed up everything I said about him all year. He was pressing, playing scared, getting in his own way and thinking too much.

Barry hasn't made a fucking excuse this season for anything and has always shouldered the blame...that's called having character...something you and every member of the board have accused him of not having...

He's struggled to adjust to this team and it's offense and you guys have ripped him brutally for it...

It is the way he has been used...it is the Spurs offense...do you expect a high character player to come out and badmouth his coach and his team....no matter how he feels he should be used?

I never said he was't trying...I never said he didn't care...you guys said that.

And that's part of the reason I said starting wouldn't fix him...

You guys thought he was Hedo...did Barry every say he needed to start to play well because he was worried about his contract?

No he didn't...

I consider it a mark of high character...you guys consider it being a choking bitch.

The fact that he has struggled mightily yes has shaken off confidence issues and stepped up in the hardest parts of the season and often in the biggest games of the season, without Tim Duncan...proves his character...those are the times when he has played his best.

Barry can bash himself and you guys can bash him, but he's still had a positive effect on this team all season...

But playing a team who is not going to guard the perimeter can break any shooter out of his slump.

Tell that to Dirk Nowitzki...

Dex
05-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I can finally be happy with my avatar again. :)

T Park
05-22-2005, 10:52 PM
boy the truth comes out and Whottt still blames the coaching.

I hope we win it all this year, and guess what happens, Whottt wouldnt give a lick of credit to the coaching staff what so ever.

Fuck it.

stéphane
05-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Here's my version...

oh timvp this caption's awesome...
LMFAO haha can't stop

whottt
05-22-2005, 11:27 PM
boy the truth comes out and Whottt still blames the coaching.

I hope we win it all this year, and guess what happens, Whottt wouldnt give a lick of credit to the coaching staff what so ever.

Fuck it.

Not true...try reading the forum lately...I gave him credit for todays win...I gave him credit in a loss against Seattle. But I am not going to give him a free pass for blatantly dumb and predictable moves on offense.

I will rip Pop's offensive decision making...but why would I rip him for todays game? He did what I have wanted him to do all season...I haven't ripped his coaching since the 4th game against Seattle...

AFTER HE SAID IN THE PRESS THAT THE SPURS Big 3 NEEDED TO PASS OUT OF THE PAINT MORE AND LOOK FOR THEIR TEAMATES...AND LO AND BEHOLD IT HAPPENED...I WONDER WHY!

Also if you did bother reading the forum...

You would know that Barry, Horry, Duncan, Parker and Manu constitute my favorite Spurs lineup(when it's not just sitting around watching Duncan)

Pop used that lineup down the stretch today..and you saw what it could do...he actually used it against Denver in the third when the Spurs mounted a huge comeback...

I didn't think Pop would do it...but he did..and I was very happy with him for doing so.

That lineup is the best lineup the Spurs put on the court and it was proved during the regular season via +/-...

Pop gets ripped for it because that was about the least used lineup on the team this season..any lineup with Barry and Manu in it together is a rare one...even though they play the same style of offense and played well together when Duncan was injured.

rwb
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm so glad Barry finally got a good game, and hopefully that'll boost his confidence. I nearly jumped off the couch when he passed up two layups early in the game today. Good to know, too, that his teamates are backing him up...which is what I expect from the Spurs. Keep it up, Brent...we need you!

whottt
05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
The funniest thing about that picture is that Barry made that shot and it was a great shot...leave it to TimVP to post a picture of Barry making a shot to try and prove he won't take an open one and is afraid of taking them...

IT's kinda like ripping him for having a positive +/- :wtf

I just hope this game won't kill TimVP's newfound love for +/-

Obstructed_View
05-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Not to derail the thread, well, actually, to derail the thread...

Does anyone know why Pop was ripping Beno up one side and down the other at the end of the first quarter. I couldn't see what he did wrong on that last pick and roll. He got picked, but Nash had to hit a fade-away with a hand in his face, which is a shot I didn't think I'd mind making him take. Beno seemed to know what he had done right away, but I didn't see it. Were they supposed to do something different when Nash was running the pick and roll?

By the way, I thought it was great that Pop chewed him out and then left him in the game instead of punishing him by putting him on the bench.

Gerryatrics
05-23-2005, 12:45 AM
You have to love timvp patting himself on the back when Barry has a bad game and saying he was right all along, then patting himself on the back a couple of days later when Barry has an incredible game and saying he was right all along.

Let me guess, you did support Brent Barry, before you rooted against him?

http://guillemette.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/kerrysalute.JPG

BigVee
05-23-2005, 09:44 AM
No kidding, even when he gives some credit, he brushes it off as no perimeter defense by the Suns. Face it, he hates the guy.

SWC Bonfire
05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Barry will have to play some more at a high level to dig himself out of his hole.

Now's a great time to start.

I edited this because I posted in the wrong thread, it's monday. My post was in reference to Beno not fouling nash right before Manu's shot. Wrong post forum.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Poor Beno. It reminds me of the constant chew outs that he had to give Parker in his rookie year. I was just waiting for Pop to start screaming at Beno after Manu fouled Nash in the fourth quarter when he fell for an up-fake and then fell on top of Nash.

"UDRIH! WHAT THE HELL IS GINOBILI DOING OUT THERE? ANSWER ME!!!!"

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
The funniest thing about that picture is that Barry made that shot and it was a great shot...leave it to TimVP to post a picture of Barry making a shot to try and prove he won't take an open one and is afraid of taking them...

IT's kinda like ripping him for having a positive +/- :wtf

I just hope this game won't kill TimVP's newfound love for +/-

What made that shot possible was that barry has a great bball IQ. He knew that had he tried to make the shot from the left side of the basket, Amare would have smashed it back in his face. Barry took it to the other side and made the much tougher shot, because it was what was required to be successful.

Props to Barry. He loves playing against this team.

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Funny because on two of the three pointers, Barry was 2 feet behind the line because his defender was tight on him. Do they have a Bowenesque perimeter defender, no, did they guard the perimeter, yes.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:05 AM
even when he gives some credit, he brushes it off as no perimeter defense by the Suns.On the contrary, that was the hand dealt Barry by the Suns D -- and Barry actually responded with a true shooter's mentality that on one can deny has been largely lacking all year. He hadn't shot this many threes against a decent team since, well, January against the Suns. Go figure.

Useruser666
05-23-2005, 10:05 AM
http://img175.echo.cx/img175/6311/whotttbbwideopen7gy.jpg

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Now keep it up in Game 2.
This is the problem that most fans have. I know that you don't mean "keep it up" as Barry producing the same numbers as he did last game, but most fans have that assumption. They see that game and say, see Barry should be averaging 20 ppg. They heard all this talk about Barry being the best FA pickup and assume he will put up crazy numbers all the time. I bet he won't put up crazy numbers next game, but the contribution he will have is that no way do the Suns drop very far away with him. So that thins things out for Duncan. The problem is that once he doesn't put another 20 point game, most of the fans on this site will rip him for being incompetent and that he should be traded. Just remember Barry = 4th option.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Keep it up = shoot it when you have the shot

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Keep it up = shoot it when you have the shot
Keep it up = shoot it when you have the shot and it makes sense.

T Park
05-23-2005, 10:24 AM
shoot it when you have the shot and it makes sense.

ive said all season, any shot by Brent Barry is a good shot.

Every shot he shoots makes sense in my mind.

KEEP THE AGRESSIVENESS AND JACKIN UP SHOTS!!!!

If you miss some early KEEP SHOOTIN!!!

TMSKILZ
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
You have to love timvp patting himself on the back when Barry has a bad game and saying he was right all along, then patting himself on the back a couple of days later when Barry has an incredible game and saying he was right all along.

Let me guess, you did support Brent Barry, before you rooted against him?

http://guillemette.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/kerrysalute.JPG
LMBO!!!!! That is a classic Gerry!

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Having the shot by definition makes sense. Of course you will have the odd exception for clock management, etc. -- note that didn't stop Horry and Manu yesterday, however -- but open shots are open shots, and I'm completely comfortable with Barry's taking two 30 footers in 37 seconds when he's got room.

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't completely disagree with you. What I am saying is that against the suns it is good to take as much time off the clock as possible and slow down the game. No need to just toss up a shot with 17 secs. left just cause the defender isn't right on you. Which I don't see him doing. I just don't want him to start rushing his offense.

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2005, 10:34 AM
hmm...I was excited to finally see Barry kicking ass but does it take poor perimeter defense for Barry to light it up? assuming we end up matching up against Detroit do you expect him to get the same kind of looks?

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I just don't want him to start rushing his offense.Given his history, especially this season, I don't think that's possible. I simply trust the guy's shot. If we won a championship with Jack shooting at the rate and percentage he did -- imagine what we could do with Barry. The shots have been there -- definitely not as much against Seattle but definitely more now. And Barry is doing what he should do -- and the results speak for themselves.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I was excited to finally see Barry kicking ass but does it take poor perimeter defense for Barry to light it up?To the extent we saw yesterday, yes. I would expect fewer open looks against Detroit as they can more effectively single-cover Duncan -- though he'll be covered by Rip and might be able to get free if he keeps moving.

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Sorry I will elaborate. I think Prince is a great defensive player, but he won't usually guard Barry. Hamilton is a good defender but not a shutdown perimeter defender. So I think he will get shots. I don't see him scoring 20, but there are times against every team that players get open looks. Even players have open looks against the spurs.

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Given his history, especially this season, I don't think that's possible. I simply trust the guy's shot. If we won a championship with Jack shooting at the rate and percentage he did -- imagine what we could do with Barry. The shots have been there -- definitely not as much against Seattle but definitely more now. And Barry is doing what he should do -- and the results speak for themselves.

Completely agree. Just out of curiosity, didn't you rip Barry earlier this year? Not trying to start anything, I just thought you were on the "trade Barry" side.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I mostly ripped Barry for passing up open shots, and I always included my opinion that he'd improve. I do appreciate the other things he does on the court, but it's particularly galling to me to see him deny his own shooting talent when it's exactly what this team needed and needs.

I never entertained any thoughts of trading Barry before this season's deadline. In March or April I floated the idea of trading him for a more aggressive shooter in the offseason if he didn't come around.

benjirh
05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I mostly ripped Barry for passing up open shots, and I always included my opinion that he'd improve. I do appreciate the other things he does on the court, but it's particularly galling to me to see him deny his own shooting talent when it's exactly what this team needed and needs.

My bad. I was just curious and surprised with your comments.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I think you'll find the "Anti-Barry" crowd has just been more frustrated than hateful this season. Personally, my expectations for Brent were too high in some areas.

boutons
05-23-2005, 11:10 AM
As I announced last week, I have officially given up on Brent. I don't "hate" the guy at all. I've never been against him making a contribution, which I expect to be nothing more than what he did @SEA, and he hasn't done that.

His situation is most unhappy and tragic, imo. His flopped games as a Spur still vastly outweigh his contributions. He can't even make up that deficit by mid-June. That will have to wait until next season.

Of course, any contribution he can make in these playoffs, such as yesterday, is wildly welcome. And I couldn't be happier for the guy.

Bomb Brent Bomb

Go Spurs Go

SirChaz
05-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Spurs took the Suns' best shot and dropped them.

Not the Suns best shot by far. I only hope we see the Suns best shot before it is over.

I think that was close to the Spurs best shot.

If Barry can keep it up the Spurs will be in good shape to get to the finals. Those two threes he hit were huge.

Spurminator
05-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm still interested to see how he will play next year after a full season and offseason of learning Spurs Basketball. Right now, I doubt there's much Barry could be traded for anyway.

Solid D
05-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Brent does much better when he turns up the intensity knob. The indicators for me are two-fold.

1: When Barry actually tries to score in the middle...those 10-15 footers.
2: When Barry's posture on his 3 Pt. attempts is straight-up and not angling slightly back, he has upped his intensity.

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Not the Suns best shot by far. I only hope we see the Suns best shot before it is over.

I think that was close to the Spurs best shot.

If Barry can keep it up the Spurs will be in good shape to get to the finals. Those two threes he hit were huge.

I agree, that was not Phoenix' best shot at all. I knew this would be a win form SA. Phoenix had a huge hangover from Dallas series.

SA has to play just as good to win on Tuesday night.

travis2
05-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I was thinking yesterday or Game 5 was going to be the road win.

Tomorrow I already had down as a loss.

boutons
05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
"the Spurs best shot."

Hardly. Manu didn't really get his. Nazr can do better, and I didn't feel any real defensive intensity from the Spurs.

The Spurs big risk is that they go absolutely stone cold on offense.

ie, only the Spurs can beat themselves in a 7-game series vs Suns. The Suns don't have the offensve/defensive balance to prevail.

ducks
05-23-2005, 11:43 AM
The Spurs also improved to 34-2 when scoring at least 100; they've done it in six of their nine playoff wins. Phoenix is not going to rattle San Antonio like it did Dallas, if for no other reason than the Spurs' basketball IQ is about 100 points higher.

TONY PARKER: Barry came up huge. Two days ago after we won against Seattle he was a little bit down and I talked to him. I told him it's a little bit like Robert last year when he tried so hard to beat the Lakers and I thought Brent did the same thing, he tried too hard. He was not himself. And I told him stay with us, keep shooting you are going to have a huge series against Phoenix because they are going to score a lot of points so we're going to need our bench.

wildbill2u
05-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I still think he could have made three layups where he went hard to the basket, got there, and instead made some dangerous passes out to the arc. He was right there and I doubt the defender coming from the weak side could have blocked without fouling. It wasn't fear, because he went in strong. I think he's just being too deferent to our other go-to guys.

But he had a great game overall and if anyone made a breakout difference that gave us a road win and home court advantage, Barry is the one. We expect those great games from Manu, TD and TP. Having one from our 'missing piece' of the puzzle is simply great news.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2005, 11:46 AM
This is the problem that most fans have. I know that you don't mean "keep it up" as Barry producing the same numbers as he did last game, but most fans have that assumption. They see that game and say, see Barry should be averaging 20 ppg. They heard all this talk about Barry being the best FA pickup and assume he will put up crazy numbers all the time. I bet he won't put up crazy numbers next game, but the contribution he will have is that no way do the Suns drop very far away with him. So that thins things out for Duncan. The problem is that once he doesn't put another 20 point game, most of the fans on this site will rip him for being incompetent and that he should be traded. Just remember Barry = 4th option.

I think you completely overanalyzed what I said.

"Keep it up" only means that he shouldn't play hesitant like he has for a lot of the season. I've always said that I don't care how many points he scores. Even he himself yesterday after the game said that he escaped his rut "even if only for a few hours" (paraphrasing). That's why I said "keep it up". It can't be only for just a few hours. He has to sustain his mindset.

2centsworth
05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
If brent plays like he did most of yesterday the spurs win it all fairly easily. If he struggles like he has all year, and then the spurs should still win but it's going to be harder. That's the frustration, Brent can make our lives so much easier.

mookie2001
05-23-2005, 01:32 PM
This year, I've been battling and trying to get out of my own way

good job

Chris
05-23-2005, 03:18 PM
This whole thread has been overanalyzed. GG Barry.

Slo spurs fan
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I have one Q: Is (was?) Rick Barry Brents' father? :oops Thanks.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Indeed he is.

PM5K
I have one Q: Is (was?) Rick Barry Brents' father? :oops Thanks in advice.

Yes of course, and Jon is his brother.

Useruser666
Yes

Slo spurs fan
05-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Yes of course, and Jon is his brother.

Yea I knew that but thanks anyway.

Solid D
05-23-2005, 04:37 PM
4 sons who played basketball. Brent, Jon, Scooter and Drew.

boutons
05-23-2005, 04:37 PM
And Mrs. Barry was his mother.

Dave Barry is no relation.

Slo spurs fan
05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
4 sons who played basketball. Brent, Jon, Scooter and Drew.

You are joking, right?

Slo spurs fan
05-23-2005, 04:41 PM
And Mrs. Barry was his mother.

Dave Barry is no relation.

No shit :wow

PM5K
05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Brent is the best out of all the kids, I wouldn't even bother mentioning the rest....

Solid D
05-23-2005, 05:08 PM
You are joking, right?

No. Drew was a great college PG at Georgia Tech...I think he is their all-time assists leader...or he was at one point. He played 2-3 yrs in the NBA as a backup.

Here's an article about the Barrys

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/barry_feature_041123.html

T Park
05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Brent is the best out of all the kids

talent wise, yeah,

Jon a close second.

cherylsteele
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM

You should understand that in life we are our own worst critic.....people may say they like what you do but you always think you can do better.

mookie2001
05-23-2005, 06:24 PM
and his wife is hot as shit