PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Suns Previews

duncan228
11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Game is Wednesday, 8:00 CST.

San Antonio (2-1) at Phoenix (1-2) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010110321)
TV: FSSW, FSAZ
Kickoff: 10:00 pm EDT Wed Nov 3, 2010
By Justin Einhorn

A playoff sweep by the Phoenix Suns in May seemed to spell the end of the San Antonio Spurs’ dynasty. However, their Big Three remaining intact and the addition of a few rookies have San Antonio thinking otherwise.

Few believe the Suns can produce a similar playoff run after their offseason of change.

These rivals meet Wednesday night for the first time since their postseason series, but this time Tim Duncan won’t have to deal with Amare Stoudemire and he could leave Phoenix as the second-leading scorer in Spurs history.

“It’s gonna be a tough game,” Phoenix’s Jason Richardson said. “They’re gonna come in here ready. We put them out of the playoffs last year. They still got a Big Three.”

A subpar 2009-10 from the 34-year-old Duncan, an up-and-down season by Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker missing 26 games led to San Antonio posting its lowest win total in 11 years. The Spurs did reach the second round of the playoffs before losing four straight to Phoenix, a team it defeated in four of the previous seven postseasons.

While Duncan is 23 points shy of matching George Gervin’s total of 20,708 for second in franchise history, he’s had a quiet start this fall, but Parker and Ginobili have been solid. Richard Jefferson (17.3 ppg) has stepped up after a bad first season with San Antonio, but it’s youngsters off the bench who may be a bigger reason the Spurs (2-1) could bounce back this season and post their best start since 2007-08 on Wednesday.

Undrafted rookie Gary Neal had 16 points and six rebounds in 20 minutes of a 97-88 road win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday. James Anderson, the 20th overall pick in this year’s draft, is averaging 7.7 points in 19.0 minutes per game and is 5 of 10 from 3-point range.

Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter, a former MVP in Europe taken eight spots after Anderson, made his season debut Monday after being sidelined with a calf strain and the Spurs believe he can be very productive.

“After all those years with so many vets, I think it’s time for us to rebuild,” Parker said. “We have great young guys, and we have to throw them into the fire - like (coach Gregg Popovich) did with me and Ginobili when we first came up. We have to be patient with them.”

The Suns (1-2) also know they need to show patience as their new mix of players gets acclimated to each other. With Stoudemire having left for New York via free agency, Phoenix has a big hole at forward that is being filled by newcomers Hedo Turkoglu and Hakim Warrick.

Turkoglu, averaging 9.3 points, hasn’t averaged below double figures since 2003-04. Warrick had 18 points and 11 rebounds in a win at Utah on Thursday, but he’s averaged 6.0 points and 3.0 boards in the other two games and Phoenix lost both.

The Suns, off to their worst start since 2006-07, have had three days off to work on their cohesiveness since losing to the team that ousted them from the Western Conference finals. Phoenix fell 114-106 to the Los Angeles Lakers, getting outrebounded for the third time in as many games.

“We’re still trying to learn one another and have a feel for what guys like to do and where they like to get the ball,” coach Alvin Gentry said. “I think people forget, Steve (Nash) and Amare played six years together. That’s a long time in this league. So obviously we had a feel of where people were, those two guys were on the same page. We’ve got to continue to try to get everybody in that situation.”

Team Stat Leaders

Jason Richardson Pho 18.3

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 8.7
Robin Lopez Pho 8.3

Assists
Tony Parker SA 7.3
Steve Nash Pho 6.7

mazerrackham
11-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter, a former MVP in Europe taken eight spots after Anderson...

This guy does realize that Splitter was drafter 3 years before Anderson, right?

duncan228
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Whiplashed Hill questionable for Phoenix (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/whiplashed-hill-questionable-for-phoenix/)
by Jeff McDonald

...Hill, who is dealing with a neck condition similar to whiplash after Monday’s run-in with Smith, is considered questionable for Wednesday’s game against Phoenix. Beyond that, the injury is not expected to be a long-term problem.

The official diagnosis: A spasm of the right trapezius muscle.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/whiplashed-hill-questionable-for-phoenix/

Ocotillo
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Parker averaging more dimes than Nash........

wontstartdumbthreads
11-02-2010, 05:04 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/whiplashed-hill-questionable-for-phoenix/

Sounds like it's short term. At least he didn't end up with a distended trachea.

AussieFanKurt
11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Odd yes but Goran Dragic been doing the job of late when I've watched

jestersmash
11-02-2010, 07:03 PM
No Stoudemire no win.

Xylus
11-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I'll be at this game bringin' da noize.

Not really sure what to expect from the Suns right now. The Spurs aren't so overwhelmingly large that the Suns will be fighting uphill all night, but the Suns haven't really figured out how to close out games without Amare. Duncan and Blair will have good games, but our perimeter D will limit Parker, Jefferson, and Manu from doing damage in excess.

ohmwrecker
11-02-2010, 08:23 PM

That is astounding.

I don't know if the Spurs are playing well enough right now to give the Suns the epic, revenge fueled beatdown they deserve, but I hope they find the fire to get it done.

Leonard Curse
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll be at this game bringin' da noize.

Not really sure what to expect from the Suns right now. The Spurs aren't so overwhelmingly large that the Suns will be fighting uphill all night, but the Suns haven't really figured out how to close out games without Amare. Duncan and Blair will have good games, but our perimeter D will limit Parker, Jefferson, and Manu from doing damage in excess.

i agree with most of this but dont agree with ginobili being stopped, hes never been a super fast guy but he sure knows how to throw people off balance and when hes healthy hell always get his shot.

i also think nash will torch us on points.. i really do feel bad for the good fans in phoenix yall deserve better after such a positive postseason.

L.I.T
11-02-2010, 09:26 PM
The RJeff match-up will be interesting to watch. I suspect it will help us figure out if he's now really and truly comfortable long-term in the Spurs system.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
The Spurs D is way too poor right now to stop the Suns.

Suns by 8

mingus
11-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Suns have some really good perimiter players, Spurs haven't really been able to stop anyone's perimiter players through three games. I'm gonna say Suns by 5.

Danny.Zhu
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
The Spurs D is way too poor right now to stop the Suns.

Suns by 8

Agreed. I miss the D this team once had.

ezau
11-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I want the Spurs to kills these ringless motherfuckers tomorrow.

timtonymanu
11-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Not really expecting a win tomorrow. J-Rich and Nash will torch us with their 3's. Blair is still struggling. Hopefully Tim plays better than he's been the last two games.

AussieFanKurt
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Im expecting another good game from Neal since Hill probably won't be playing and be backed up by JA. Spurs by 10

duncan228
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Suns and Spurs aren't same teams that faced off in playoffs (http://ktar.com/category/suns-articles/20101102/Suns-and-Spurs-aren%27t-same-teams-that-faced-off-in-playoffs/)
by Greg Esposito/Sports 620 KTAR

The last time the Phoenix Suns saw the San Antonio Spurs they were wrapping up a four game sweep of their Texas rivals. That won't be on the mind of most of those on the court Wednesday at the US Airways Center.

That's because many of the players that will be in uniform weren't around during last year's Western Conference Semifinals.

Between the two teams, 11 of the 28 players weren't on either roster for any of the seven Suns-Spurs matchups last season.

Unlike the Suns, the Spurs, who are 2-1 on the young season, have kept a majority of their lineup intact. A fact that isn't lost on Suns' guard Jason Richardson.

"It's going to be a tough game," Richardson said. "They're going to come in ready. We put them out of the playoffs last year. They've still got a big 3 with Tony, Manu and Timmy. We'll have to be ready for those guys."

The Spurs also added an injection of youth to their lineup this offseason.

Undrafted rookie Gary Neal came up big in San Antonio's last game, a 97-88 road win over the Los Angeles Clippers, scoring 16 points and grabbing six boards. Rookie James Anderson, the 20th pick in June's NBA draft, is averaging 7.7 points in 19 minutes of play.

Tiago Splitter, the Brazilian forward and former Euro League MVP, was expected to have a major impact this season. In the first three games he has been hindered by a calf injury missing the first two games and being limited in their third.

One player who was with the Spurs last season that the Suns might not recognize is Richard Jefferson. The former University of Arizona star, after a horrible first season in San Antonio, has turned things around. He's averaging 17.3 points per game, five points higher than his average in the 2009-10 season.

Despite their 2-1 record not everything has been going well for the Spurs. For a team that prides itself on defense, they've struggled to keep the opposition's shooting percentage down.

Their first three opponents, the Pacers, Hornets and Clippers, have shot a combined 49.8% from the field and an impressive 42% from beyond the arc. The high percentage bodes well for the Suns.

While much of the focus this season has been on the Suns' undersized lineup and rebounding woes, they aren't the only ones who have struggled on the boards. The Spurs are 27th overall in rebounding only averaging 38.3 rebounds per game. The Suns are 26th in the league with 39 rebounds per game.

While the faces may be different, the Suns, whose 1-2 start is their worst since 2006-07, hope the results remain the same. Including the playoffs, they were 6-1 against the Spurs last season.

Tipoff is at 7 p.m. tomorrow night at the US Airways Center and can be heard on Sports 620 KTAR with the Planet Orange Pregame Show starting at 6:30 p.m.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Spurs will win IMO..I'm assuming they will play hard and have revenge on their minds, at least I hope..

Hopefully Splitter will get more minutes, would make a significant difference..

ace3g
11-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Now that the Spurs have some decent 3 point shooters I expect the Spurs to win, not a blow out but a 5-7 pt win

crc21209
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Although athletes dont like to play the "revenge" card, I'm sure TD, TP, Manu, Blair, Hill, RJ, and Dice will be thinking about last years Playoff exit...they'll come out with a purpose. :tu The Suns, other than Warrick and Lopez..are extremely small as well...

Whisky Dog
11-02-2010, 11:12 PM
The faster Splitter gets conditioning and hits his stride the better the defense the Spurs put on the court if Monday was an indicator. He won't be ready yet, but then again the Suns haven't been very impressive either so it's a close call. If Neal and Anderson continue to prove they're the real deal Spurs win.

pawe
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
2 of my favorite teams playing so it will be a good night tomorrow for me. I hope the Spurs win though.
Jared Dudley on Manu is the matchup I'll watch very closely.

crc21209
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I hope Frye and Dudley brick ALL of their shots, I can't stand those guys after hitting all those shots against us only to go on to the WCF's and miss the same shots again the Lakers...wack. :td

ducks
11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Go spurs

duncan228
11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Wednesday: Spurs (2-1) at Suns (1-2) (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/wednesday-spurs-2-1-at-suns-1-2/)
by Jeff McDonald

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/wednesday-spurs-2-1-at-suns-1-2/

Xylus
11-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Wednesday: Spurs (2-1) at Suns (1-2) (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/wednesday-spurs-2-1-at-suns-1-2/)
by Jeff McDonald

Phoenix is the only team in the NBA to boast an all-time winning record vs. Spurs (71-68). :wow

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/wednesday-spurs-2-1-at-suns-1-2/

Pretty impressive that the Spurs boast a winning record against everyone else.

HarlemHeat37
11-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Channing Frye is having an absolutely atrocious start to the season so far(since he got paid, pretty much), the Spurs are the perfect team for him to get going against..

duncan228
11-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Latest on Hill.

Hill may miss game against Suns (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/hill-may-miss-game-against-suns/)
by Jeff McDonald

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/02/hill-may-miss-game-against-suns/

TJastal
11-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I hope Smith's appeal of the flagrant is shoved back straight back up his fat ass.

But if it's David Stern's call (and I'm assuming it is) he'll drop it to a flagrant 1, no suspension as a pat on the back for being a good little soldier for the cause.

Tp9gospursgo
11-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Hopefully we can get some revenge on the Suns tonight.

Bruno
11-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Suns have had one of the worst off-season in the NBA. Stoudamire is a huge loss and they spend tons of money on average players (Turkoglu, Warrick, Childress, Frye). Even if Suns aren't a good team anymore, they are still a bad matchup for Spurs because of their mobility.

ManuTastic
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Not sure if Phx is "undersized" when they have 7-ft Robin Lopez, who had 18 pt/ 14 reb the other night against LA.... Not saying he's a beast, but he's had good games against us and he's young and big.

shelshor
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Wed. Nov. 3
San Antonio @ Phoenix: Ron Garretson; Marat Kogut; Leon Wood

ajballer4
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Not sure if Phx is "undersized" when they have 7-ft Robin Lopez, who had 18 pt/ 14 reb the other night against LA.... Not saying he's a beast, but he's had good games against us and he's young and big.

He really is the only "true" big man. Warrick and Turk are both hybrid and Frye is like bonner

TDomination
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Pretty impressive that the Spurs boast a winning record against everyone else.

wow is that true?

so we have a winning record against lakers?

elec99
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
The suns scare me, I think they're our Golden State right now. They'll never make it to the finals but have the potential of knocking good teams off, just too difficult to keep up with their speed. They make 3s like it's nothing, and no one is able to stay in front of nash, and once you back off him he can make almost any shot. Then his backup (forgot his name) is more of the same pretty much.

Our defenders aren't fast enough to keep up with this team, aside from our newly discovered bench like neal. I'm hoping for the victory though.

ace3g
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Breaking news: George Hill (neck) will not play for Spurs tonight

DeadlyDynasty
11-03-2010, 01:10 PM
wow is that true?

so we have a winning record against lakers?

Regular season, yes. Playoffs, no.

DBMethos
11-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Memo to McDonald: having the words "breaking" and "neck" so closely together maybe isn't the best choice for a headline.

duncan228
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
View from the other side.

Game Preview: San Antonio Spurs (2-1) At Phoenix Suns (1-2), 7PM PST (http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2010/11/3/1791234/game-preview-san-antonio-spurs-2-1-at-phoenix-suns-1-2-7pm-pst)
by Alex Laugan
Bright Side of the Sun

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2010/11/3/1791234/game-preview-san-antonio-spurs-2-1-at-phoenix-suns-1-2-7pm-pst

PBEEZY
11-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Regular season, yes. Playoffs, no.

And combined? Not that i really care, i'd much rather have it in the playoffs.

Spurs Brazil
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignments
Wed. Nov. 3
San Antonio @ Phoenix: Ron Garretson; Marat Kogut; Leon Wood

I hope it opens more minutes to Neal and not Temple. Play Manu some PG

duncan228
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
More from the other side.

Phoenix Suns Schedule Brings San Antonio Spurs Back For 'Revenge' (http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix-suns/2010/11/3/1791886/phoenix-suns-schedule-san-antonio-spurs-back-for-revenge-nba)
By Seth Pollack
SB Nation Arizona

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix-suns/2010/11/3/1791886/phoenix-suns-schedule-san-antonio-spurs-back-for-revenge-nba

crc21209
11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Well damn it...

slick'81
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
should be a fun game to watch tonight :corn:

GinobiliForTres
11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I won't be able to be online to catch a stream and i don't have NBA League Pass. Dammit.

objective
11-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Suns have shot more free throws than their opponents for the season thus far, and that's playing against good teams.

Hopefully the Spurs will be able to match their 2nd unit. Neal and Anderson are giving me some hope.

DPG21920
11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Tough game for the Spurs. Suns still have shooters and good athletes. Again, the Spurs should out rebound them, but they have been meh on the boards with Tim and Blair struggling.

I am perplexed by Nash. He seems to be playing at a much lower level overall. His scoring is up, but he just looks off. Is the cliff near?

Suns don't have a lot of length besides Lopez, but Tim has not been playing very well overall imo.

If Tim puts up another game like the past two, I am going to be very worried. The new RJ should be a big help and I think that the Spurs have to try and get Timmy involved early.

objective
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I am perplexed by Nash. He seems to be playing at a much lower level overall. His scoring is up, but he just looks off. Is the cliff near?

the talk in PHX is that Nash is still trying to figure out his new teammates and who he can trust while having to decide if Nash needs to score more himself.

duncan228
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
San Antonio Spurs @ Phoenix Suns: The chicken or the egg? (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Jesse Blanchard
48 Minutes of Hell

In finally breaking through the San Antonio Spurs in last year’s playoffs, the Phoenix Suns exposed Tim Duncan in numerous pick and rolls.

Obviously some of that success had to do with age and its effects on Duncan, but tonight should offer an interesting case study on the impact of each component of the pick an roll between the ball handler and the dive man–the chicken or the egg?

When Tim Duncan and company return to the site of one of their biggest playoff failures they will find a much different Suns team. Steve Nash is still there, as is much of the depth that finally undid the years of torment suffered at the hands of the Spurs.

But Amare Stoudemire is gone, and with him left the best roll man since Karl Malone retired. In his place Nash stands to see waht he can do with an army of small forwards, trading a cannon for infantry.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-phoenix-suns-the-chicken-or-the-egg#more-10749)

AlleyOopNazi
11-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Manu being Manu
Blair should do better against this front-court, but his productivity is impossible to gauge sometimes.
I wanna see Tiago get reps, and good ball movement should get the job done if the shooting goes our way.

duncan228
11-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Spurs hook up with Amar’e-less Suns (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/03/spurs-hook-up-with-amare-less-suns/)
by Tim Griffin

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/03/spurs-hook-up-with-amare-less-suns/

Leonard Curse
11-03-2010, 07:54 PM
keep em coming 228!!

Leonard Curse
11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
i wish we knew how many minutes tiago would be getting!

TD 21
11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
The Spurs need to play through Duncan early and often. Theoretically, the only Sun with a chance at adequately guarding him is Lopez. Should Duncan saddle him with two quick fouls, it will spell trouble for the Suns. They'll likely be forced to double regularly and that will eventuate in the Spurs getting numerous good outside looks.

The Suns "smalls" are bigger and better "small ball" options than are the Spurs "smalls". Conversely, they're obviously weak in the interior. So if the Spurs stay big, they probably win. If they go small, they probably lose.

Unfortunately, I have little confidence in Pop staying big. He'll probably end up playing right into the Suns hands by going small, playing too much of a Blair-Simmons big combo and not enough of Splitter and McDyess.

Leonard Curse
11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Channing Frye is having an absolutely atrocious start to the season so far(since he got paid, pretty much), the Spurs are the perfect team for him to get going against..

so why in the hell does your account say spurs fan? is this a statement or a fan jab?