PDA

View Full Version : NBCSports.com: Injuries don't slow true stars, like Duncan

spurschick
05-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Note to Shaq: Spurs center shows go-to guys come through when needed

By Mike Celizic
NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 8:28 p.m. ET May 22, 2005

You didn’t have to know anything about basketball to know that Tim Duncan wasn’t operating at peak efficiency. He ran the court stiffly, had trouble jumping, grabbed at a leg as if there was pain at the end of it.

But the tall guy from San Antonio played 40 minutes, scored 28 points, pulled down 15 rebounds, and was a big factor in his team’s stealing home-court advantage from Phoenix in Game 1 of the NBA Western Conference Finals.

If this were the regular season, Duncan might well have sat out the game. At best, he would have played half as many minutes and not had nearly the same stat line.

But it’s the playoffs, and this is what all stars do. In the language of sports, they suck it up.

You have to figure Shaquille O’Neal, who’s been hobbled by a deep thigh bruise for five weeks, watched Duncan and the Spurs clamp down on the Suns, the team with the NBA’s best regular-season record.

As we all know by now, there is not a more dominant player in the game than Shaq. Thanks to him, with help from Kobe Bryant — and not the other way around — the Lakers won three straight titles. There is no defense that’s ever worked against him. When he’s on the court, he changes the way the game is played.

His injury forced him into civvies for the final two games of the Heat’s sweep of the Wizards. After more than a week off, the Heat are due to start the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pistons, which beat Shaq and the Lakers in last year’s championship round.

Shaq has finally made it back to the practice court, but he’s being coy about whether he will be able to play in Game 1 against Detroit. The Pistons say they expect him to be there. It’s the only assumption to make.

TwoHandJam
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't know what's really up with Shaq. I think he's got something more serious than just a deep thigh bruise to keep him out of two playoff games. I'm thinking that he's pulled a abdominal muscle or something more serious and the Heat are just keeping it under wraps.

He's had problems with his abs a while back that had him sidelined a good long time. Or maybe it's his toe again or a knee. At any rate, it's something more serious than a "deep thigh bruise" methinks.

timvp
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
This is a weird article. If you are seriously hurt -- no matter how good you are -- you can't play. Playing hurt is one thing but the "injuries don't slow true stars" is off base.

SouthernFried
05-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Note to Ray Allen.

Dre_7
05-22-2005, 10:11 PM
This is a weird article. If you are seriously hurt -- no matter how good you are -- you can't play. Playing hurt is one thing but the "injuries don't slow true stars" is off base.

Well, playing injured is impossible, I think he means playing in pain or playing "hurt" as opposed to "injured."

Obstructed_View
05-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Well, playing injured is impossible, I think he means playing in pain or playing "hurt" as opposed to "injured."
I agree. You can't play through some injuries. If something just doesn't work, like your thigh, or your groin, it just doesn't work. Duncan was told he couldn't make the ankle injury any worse by playing on it, so he can play through the pain. It's admirable, but I wouldn't compare it to what may or may not be happening with Shaq, because the situation is different.

There are a lot of things I don't like about Shaq, and having to defend him is one, but the guy will play as soon as he is physically able. There's nobody in this league that has more at stake in these playoffs. He's got about 9 million people on southern California, and three in particular, that he wants to prove something to.

SequSpur
05-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Miami is sweeping everyone... WGAF...... stupid article.

Supergirl
05-22-2005, 10:58 PM
I don't know what's really up with Shaq. I think he's got something more serious than just a deep thigh bruise to keep him out of two playoff games. I'm thinking that he's pulled a abdominal muscle or something more serious and the Heat are just keeping it under wraps.

He's had problems with his abs a while back that had him sidelined a good long time. Or maybe it's his toe again or a knee. At any rate, it's something more serious than a "deep thigh bruise" methinks.

I agree there's something really up with Shaq - if there was any way for him to play I think he'll play, like Duncan. But I think it might just be a more serious thigh contusion than people realize. On ABC today they reported that it was such a serious contusion he had to have 100 ccs of blood removed (80 one day, 20 the next) to drain it. That's one hell of a bruise. I guess when your thighs are as big as Shaq's (and this is not meant as a jab - it's just that he's 7' tall) a large bruise is a LARGE bruise.

But remember, Manu's thigh contusion kept him out a week or so. It doesn't sound bad, but it is.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Miami is sweeping everyone... WGAF...... stupid article.
Everyone who??? the Wizards??? the Nets?? what a joke! Lets see them sweeping the Pistons and then we'll talk about it.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2005, 11:04 PM
I agree there's something really up with Shaq - if there was any way for him to play I think he'll play, like Duncan. But I think it might just be a more serious thigh contusion than people realize. On ABC today they reported that it was such a serious contusion he had to have 100 ccs of blood removed (80 one day, 20 the next) to drain it. That's one hell of a bruise. I guess when your thighs are as big as Shaq's (and this is not meant as a jab - it's just that he's 7' tall) a large bruise is a LARGE bruise.

But remember, Manu's thigh contusion kept him out a week or so. It doesn't sound bad, but it is.
When your knees are as big as Jermaine O'Neal's, at full speed, you can do a load of damage. It's like getting hit with a sledge hammer.