PDA

View Full Version : Cajun Boiled Peanuts.

RGMCSE
11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I lived in GA for six years before moving back home to San Anto. Coming home was great but there were a few things I LOVE and miss from the South.

1. Cajun Fried Turkey. I Fry 2-3 turkeys throughout the holidays.

2. Cajun Boiled Peanuts. It took me 3 years to finally give them a try. Had them with some brews and now I crave them with or without a brew.

3. Collard Greens / Macaroni Cheese. I've always liked my greens, especially spinach and green beans but you cant beat the slight bitter flavor with bacon in them collard greens with a side of real cheesy mac!

List some of your favs from other places.

Rob

PakiDan
11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I lived in GA for six years before moving back home to San Anto. Coming home was great but there were a few things I LOVE and miss from the South.

1. Cajun Fried Turkey. I Fry 2-3 turkeys throughout the holidays.

2. Cajun Boiled Peanuts. It took me 3 years to finally give them a try. Had them with some brews and now I crave them with or without a brew.

3. Collard Greens / Macaroni Cheese. I've always liked my greens, especially spinach and green beans but you cant beat the slight bitter flavor with bacon in them collard greens with a side of real cheesy mac!

List some of your favs from other places.

Rob

Chile Relleno burritos for breakfast in New Mexico... mmmmmmmm

... and this is not really a food... but fry sauce in Utah. Gotta love it!

admiralsnackbar
11-03-2010, 05:01 AM
My dad's paella.
Good boudin blanc from LA.
Everything bagels from DC.
Tacos al pastor from Mexico City.
Sopa de lima from Mérida, MX.
Kebab sammiches from central Europe.

Star Player
11-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Philly cheese steak sammiches from Philly.

mrsmaalox
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I lived in gorgeous Georgia too and the foods I miss are 1) real grits, and 2)pulled pork and cole slaw sandwiches. Never could get into those boiled peanuts.

Being from WestTexas, I really miss enchiladas made with red chile enchilada sauce; I can't stand that meat gravy sauce they use here, or even worse that tomato-ey stuff.

bus driver
11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I lived in gorgeous Georgia too and the foods I miss are 1) real grits, and 2)pulled pork and cole slaw sandwiches. Never could get into those boiled peanuts.

Being from WestTexas, I really miss enchiladas made with red chile enchilada sauce; I can't stand that meat gravy sauce they use here, or even worse that tomato-ey stuff.

do you like verdes enchiladas? those are my fav

does anyone have a recipe for mac and cheese. i tried make it the other day and i think i added to much milk and not enough cheese

PakiDan
11-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Did you have those enchiladas stacked flat?...... with an egg on top? :)

koriwhat
11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
do you like verdes enchiladas? those are my fav

does anyone have a recipe for mac and cheese. i tried make it the other day and i think i added to much milk and not enough cheese

i make it without milk and add a shit ton of pepper and some herbs in it.

btw, mole enchiladas are my fav.

mrsmaalox
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Did you have those enchiladas stacked flat?...... with an egg on top? :)

Had them flat, but never with the egg. That's too scary for me :lol But there was a little diner that served them with diced, fried potato on top and that was great!

btw, mole enchiladas are my fav.

:drool: Damn I love those too

koriwhat
11-03-2010, 11:00 AM
i'm just a sucker for mole though... when i went to this mexican wedding in acapulco i ate mole 3 times in one day by 3 different people. mmmmmmm homemade mole is out of this world, especially if a little old 80 yr old lady makes it.

here's a photo of the mole that little old lady made
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/85/l_05bbd5a387d018de63bc14ec43fc3574.jpg

mrsmaalox
11-03-2010, 11:57 AM
:cry That's beautiful

The Gemini Method
11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Mole is definitely the business. There used to be a place in East L.A. (Boyle Heights) that used to make the best mole burritos around. They would only make it on the weekends since the preparation and care that went into them was immense. My friends and I would grab a few on our way out to L.A. for the night or whatnot, and they were just delicious. Unfortunately, the Tacos Barrios was replaced with a Wingstop. Nothing against Wingstop--but the mole burritos were one of the reasons we dared trekking into Evergreen and Harpys territories.

JudynTX
11-03-2010, 01:04 PM
:cry That's beautiful

Make your own. HEB sells the Mole sauce. :lol

Yuck to Mole. :vomit:

The Gemini Method
11-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Fail.

mrsmaalox
11-03-2010, 01:21 PM

I do make my own. Not HEB's.

RoddyBukkake
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
i'm just a sucker for mole though... when i went to this mexican wedding in acapulco i ate mole 3 times in one day by 3 different people. mmmmmmm homemade mole is out of this world, especially if a little old 80 yr old lady makes it.

here's a photo of the mole that little old lady made
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/85/l_05bbd5a387d018de63bc14ec43fc3574.jpg

strange I just shitted that an hour ago