PDA

View Full Version : Meet Armon Johnson, the Trail Blazers rookie who is becoming a sensation

tlongII
11-03-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/a_blessing_in_disguise_meet_ar.html

When Trail Blazers veteran Marcus Camby heard how rookie Armon Johnson spent the night leading up to Tuesday’s game against Milwaukee, he shook his head in approval.

“Yet another plus under his hat,’’ Camby said.

If Blazers fans this early season have found themselves falling in love with this eager and gregarious rookie, they need to get in line. The Blazers players, right down to the veterans, continue to be impressed.

From late-night sessions in the gym to late-night conversations in the hotel rooms of veterans, Johnson continues to show that he is more than just a compelling story about a kid who makes good after being drafted in the second round.

Johnson, it is becoming more and more clear, could be something special.

It is becoming harder and harder for coach Nate McMillan and the teams veterans not to beam about the left-hander drafted out of Nevada with the 34th overall pick.

Johnson on Tuesday continued his steady climb in the rotation with another solid performance, this time a 10-point, five-assist, one-turnover performance in 22 key minutes during the Blazers’ 90-76 win at Milwaukee.

In his last two games, Johnson has played a combined 31 minutes and produced 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting while recording seven assists, two turnovers and four rebounds. He has also made both of his three-point attempts. Along the way, he has harrassed two pretty good point guards -- Chicago’s Derrick Rose and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings. Rose had four turnovers when Johnson was in the game and Jennings two.

“I like what he brings every day,’’ Camby said. “You guys get to see it in the games, but it’s 10-times magnified in practice. He’s always going after it. He has a lot of fire, a lot of passion, a lot of heart.’’

It appears that Johnson has a special attachment to Camby, a 15-year veteran. Camby said it’s not uncommon to hear Johnson knocking on his hotel room door.

“He comes to my room late at night, and we have a lot of sit downs, and I really respect that because he wants to get better. He always wants information. He’s always in my ear asking questions, and not just about the game, but how to be a leader, how to conduct himself off the court.’’

He said Johnson will ask him about how to dress, how to approach certain guys on the team.

“I told him that as the point guard on the second unit, he has to earn their trust and their respect, and you do that by practicing hard,’’ Camby said.

Johnson has obviously been practicing hard, because there’s no other way a rookie is going to get on the court under Nate McMillan unless he is working hard.

Where Johnson has separated himself is his defense. At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, he is a good-sized point guard. But it is his dedication and near obsession with defense that really sets the Chicago native apart.

He doesn’t just guard opponents, he bothers them. With arms spread wide and legs bent and far apart, he moves like a tarantula. And with how quickly and feverishly he moves his arms and legs while defending, it seems like he just might have eight appendages.

“Defense comes first,’’ Johnson said after Tuesday’s game. “Always get out there and play defense and your offense will come. If you play the right defense you will get enough time out there and then the offense will come.’’

He wasn’t expected to be much of an offensive player, but he has been more than effective. He has a nice floater in the lane, uses the backboard well to finish and has shown some range. Aside from his free-throw shooting (2 for 6) his shot has been on target: He’s made 11 of 17 field goals, including both of his three-pointers.

McMillan, who hands out praise to rookies sparingly, couldn’t help but let his guard down Tuesday night.

“For one thing, he is fearless. Just fearless,’’ McMillan said. “Defensively, he can pick up, and offensively he can get that tempo to how we want -- to push. But he can’t forget why we like him: It’s what he does on the defensive end.’’

Early in training camp, there was a sense among the Blazers that Johnson would come back down to Earth. But eventually, his progress became too hard to ignore. So hard, in fact, that general manager Rich Cho traded the man in front of him, third-year guard Jerryd Bayless, who was coming off somewhat of a breakout season, which included a pretty impressive postseason for the Blazers.

“You know, when they traded Jerryd Bayless, that raised eyebrows,’’ Camby said. “But now, when you see the way Armon has been playing and leading this team, it’s sort of like a good move. I mean, I love Bayless. I talk to him every day, and I miss him. That’s my guy. But this is a business, and I think management made a good decision with Armon.’’

And nobody -- nobody -- is having more fun than Johnson. He is the team’s biggest cheerleader, and walks around with a glow about him. He is one of the more engaging and polite youngsters to come through Portland in some time.

“This is a blessing,’’ Johnson said. “Being in the NBA has always been my dream, and now that I’m here I feel blessed everyday. So I never try to take plays off -- even on the bench, I support my teammates to win. If I can help boost them up, we will win, that’s how I think. And I feel good things will come if I keep working hard. That’s what’s been happening for me.’’

lefty
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Armon Gilliam ?