PDA

View Full Version : Practice makes it perfect for Wesley Matthews

tlongII
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/portland_90_milwaukee_76_pract.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/blazersx3jpegjpg-62e24f8369f1451e.jpg
Blazers guard Wesley Matthews scored 16 of his game-high 18 points in the first half during Portland's 90-76 win over the Bucks.

MILWAUKEE -- Long before the Trail Blazers polished off the Milwaukee Bucks in impressive fashion Tuesday night, the makings of this 90-76 victory were being groomed.

It happened in Tuesday's early morning hours, when the Blazers' bus rolled into Milwaukee from its 90-minute commute from Chicago, and a dejected and frustrated team checked into its downtown hotel.

Only thing is, two players didn't make it to their rooms.

Wesley Matthews and Armon Johnson went to play one-on-one basketball: Matthews to clear his head of frustrating thoughts and Johnson because, well, because somebody was playing basketball and he didn't want to be left out.

It paid off as Matthews broke out of his early-season slump with a game-high 18 points and Johnson continued to carve his niche on this team and into Blazers' fans hearts with an impressive 10-point, five-assist night that came with his customary in-your-face defense.

"In my opinion, they were the players of the game," said Marcus Camby, who had 13 rebounds. "But I didn't even know that they went and played. What great work ethic."

It was Matthews' idea. After an impressive preseason, the Blazers' big offseason signing has been upset at his play in the first week of the regular season, especially after his performance in Chicago, when he had five points and zero contributions in the areas where he makes his mark: rebounds, steals, assists.

So when he got off the bus, he had only one feeling.

"A bunch of disappointment," Matthews said. "I didn't feel like I was being me. I wasn't playing aggressive, wasn't being assertive, wasn't moving the ball, wasn't playing confident. I had to start clearing my head, getting back to what I do."

He was inspired, though. He was back in the town where he went to college, "back to where it all started," he said.

He would go back to Marquette University's Al McGuire Center and work on his game, and bring assistant Kaleb Canales with him.

Somewhere in the commotion of the team getting off the bus, Johnson, the impressionable and impressive rookie, got wind of Matthews' intentions. He asked if he could go along.

"I said, 'Wait for me!'" Johnson said. "It was another chance to get better. We don't get much chances on the road to get into the gym at night time, so it was the best opportunity I could find."

Apparently, this wasn't just two guys lofting jumpers and playing horse. When asked if he broke a sweat, Johnson furrowed his brow.

"Pffft. Every time I step in the gym," he said.

The two played one-on-one. Both are considered among the Blazers' top defenders and a game was decided after one player scored three baskets. Matthews estimated they played 10 games. Johnson won six of them.

"If we would have played more, I would have won," Matthews said.

On this one occasion, winning didn't so much matter to Matthews. He was there to play. Really play.

"I was being so hard on myself this season that I wasn't having fun," Matthews said. "And when basketball isn't fun, there's a serious problem. The only way I know how to have fun is competing. So I was able to do that, clear my head, and figured stuff out."

It was a good thing, too.

The Blazers were awful to start, hitting one of their first nine shots and falling behind 14-2. It was the same formula as in Chicago: Teams double-teamed Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge and dared the Blazers' role players to make a shot and beat them. Nobody could.

When Matthews checked in for a struggling Nicolas Batum with 6:43 left, the Blazers were trailing 16-4. By the time he checked out with 4:53 left in the second quarter, the Blazers led 39-38, thanks in large part to his 16 points.

In the second half, Johnson did more than give starter Andre Miller a breather. He played what coach Nate McMillan called "a perfect floor game," hitting all four of his shots and finishing with 10 points, five assists and one turnover.

Like Camby, coach Nate McMillan didn't know that Matthews and Johnson had a late-night session. But after his eyebrows descended, McMillan smiled.

"We need those types of guys. We have to stay hungry," McMillan said. "These guys are going to push Brandon and LaMarcus, because they want it, they want opportunities. And that's what I told Wesley: You have to put your stamp on this team. The reason we brought you here was because we thought you were a scrapper."

Notes: The Blazers played their best defensive game by far this season, recording eight blocks, including a career-high-tying five from Aldridge, and 10 steals, including five from Roy. The Bucks (1-3) shot 37.5 percent and never scored more than 18 points in a quarter after recording 27 in the first. Corey Maggette led the Bucks with 16 points off the bench. Brandon Jennings, who had a triple-double in his last game, had eight points, seven assists and six turnovers. ... Dante Cunningham made another impact, hitting 6 of 8 shots and finishing with 12 points, six rebounds and one block in 28 minutes. ... The Blazers have dedicated the rest of their season to Maurice Lucas, who died Sunday. The team will honor him throughout Thursday's home game and will wear a memorial patch on their uniforms sporting Lucas' No. 20.

Sigz
11-03-2010, 09:45 AM
went to high school with this guy. He still owes me $5 from a poker game.

JamStone
11-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Blazers should trade Rudy Fernandez already.

lefty
11-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Bynum > Oden