PDA

View Full Version : Is it a $2 billion dollar trip?

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, Yoni brought president Obama's India trip up as a cost of $2 billion. I was skeptical of this till I read he is bringing an entourage of 3,000 people with him, and renting the entire Taj Mahal Palace, and 570 rooms. There are 40 jets involved also. Total cost is $200,000,000 a day. If he stays for the intended 10 days, that is $2 billion.

God... This is getting ridiculous.

Nbadan
11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Bogus...like most wing-nut claims...

Here is another article from an Indian news source with far lower numbers

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6850069.cms

It says $40 million for the whole trip and 500 people.

I can't speak to the accuracy of either source. Both seem to be speculating.

But hey why not use it. The wing-nuts don't seem to care about accuracy...

boutons_deux
11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Link? Or just more lies?

Nbadan
11-03-2010, 10:27 PM
they will link to wing-nuts sites..that's all they do...one big fantasy circle of lies

Yonivore
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
they will link to wing-nuts sites..that's all they do...one big fantasy circle of lies
You would think a "legitimate" news source would want to set the record straight on this now that it's out there.

I'll wait for MSNBC to lose their incuriosity.

Yonivore
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't know if they're a "teabagger" site but there's this...

'$200m-a-day' cost of Barack Obama's trip to India will be picked up by U.S. taxpayers (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325990/Obamas-200m-day-India-visit-picked-US-taxpayers.html)

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Your article is for the income generated in that one city for two days. Not the total bill. Read this:

US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visit (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us-to-spend-200-mn-a-day-on-obama-s-mumbai-visit-64106)

Nbadan
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Quoting an anonymous Indian source.....seriously?

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh...

You have never cited an article with anonymous sources?

Maybe it's OK when it's against a republican, but not when it's against a liberal?

That's right Dan. Show the full color of your bigotry.

Nbadan
11-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh...

You have never cited an article with anonymous sources?

Maybe it's OK when it's against a republican, but not when it's against a liberal?

That's right Dan. Show the full color of your bigotry.

Just pointing out that you are quoting an unnamed source...I'll wait for the receipts

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Just pointing out that you are quoting an unnamed source...I'll wait for the receipts
Now maybe you know how we feel about all that bullshit you start threads with. Most of it is proven bullshit later.

Please keep that in mind and keep the skepticism intact that you now show before posting more of your propaganda, Dan.

DJ Mbenga
11-03-2010, 11:38 PM
minesotta's bachman was on cnn and she said its 200 million. of course i dont think she was specific for the source, just said news reports. of course its tough to beleive. they said clintons trip in total cost 50 million.

Spurminator
11-03-2010, 11:40 PM
You would think a "legitimate" news source would want to set the record straight on this now that it's out there.

I'll wait for MSNBC to lose their incuriosity.

Legitimate news sources don't spend a lot of time debunking unsubstantiated rumors from fringe websites.

If it's credible, why isn't Fox News reporting it?

balli
11-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I think those of us who aren't evil fucking moron republicans can safely assume that the the Taj Mahal is not charging each foreign dignitary $66,000/night (US) for lodging and room service.

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, $40 million is definitely a low number since the article claimed only the revenue to the city. $2 billion I agree is a high number. The $200 million sounds correct, but that is still too damn much money to spend on a trip.

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I think those of us who aren't evil fucking moron republicans can safely assume that the the Taj Mahal is not charging each foreign dignitary $66,000/night (US) for lodging and room service.

That's not the only cost involved. You know that, else or are a total idiot.

The Taj Mahal's entire 460 suits plus the rest of it's rooms. Three other hotels and a convention center. Security, flight and crew costs, etc. etc.

Don't forget food...

balli
11-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Don't forget food...
Yeah. So unnecessary an expense. Maybe our next president will have his supporters pack up a bunch of brown bags before he takes on a foreign policy trip.

DMX7
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Seems more like $20 million a day. Those other days must have sure been expensive. I bet they got a deal too.

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah. So unnecessary an expense.
Let me ask you this. Why do they need the Taj Mahal and three more hotels? Why so many people?

balli
11-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Let me ask you this. Why do they need the Taj Mahal and three more hotels? Why so many people?

I have no idea as I don't give a shit. All I care about is resident jerkoff Yoni acting like a complete toolbag and a moron.

edit: Oh wait. I didn't realize you were in fact the OP. Carry on.

DMX7
11-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Because he's the President. He's not staying in a Holiday Inn.

Wild Cobra
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM
minesotta's bachman was on cnn and she said its 200 million. of course i dont think she was specific for the source, just said news reports. of course its tough to beleive. they said clintons trip in total cost 50 million.
Something to consider. Earlier on Sean Hannity, he couldn't get a liberal guest to explain why it took so many people and cost, and he didn't deny the $200 million a day figure either.

balli
11-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Just to concede and answer your question, even though you don't deserve to have the explicitly obvious pointed out to you:

Once shit hits the fan in nuclear armed Pakistan, it will be important that we have strong strategic alliances with India. As India is a country populated by a billion and a half people and foreign policy is infinitely more complex than the average teabagger would like to turn an ignorant blind eye to, I don't think Obama and Axelrod flying over there alone in coach seats would get the job done.

Wild Cobra
11-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Just to concede and answer your question, even though you don't deserve to have the explicitly obvious pointed out to you:

Once shit hits the fan in nuclear armed Pakistan, it will be important that we have strong strategic alliances with India. As India is a country populated by a billion and a half people and foreign policy is infinitely more complex than the average teabagger would like to turn an ignorant blind eye to, I don't think Obama and Axelrod flying over there alone in coach seats would get the job done.
I agree with the general point of what you just said. I do understand such things. I just disagree with the cost, If it is anywhere near the $200,000,000, or above.

Stringer_Bell
11-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Well, Yoni brought president Obama's India trip up as a cost of $2 billion. I was skeptical of this till I read he is bringing an entourage of 3,000 people with him, and renting the entire Taj Mahal Palace, and 570 rooms. There are 40 jets involved also. Total cost is $200,000,000 a day. If he stays for the intended 10 days, that is $2 billion.

And you're still ridiculous. You spew such vitriolic bullshit about government going out of control, about how Obama is a clown, then you attach "IF, this is true." This is why most people except for Darrins and Yoni poop on your threads. You lack the same open-mindedness that you appear to want others to have when they read threads that are critical of the GOP. There's absolutely no way this is true, and even if it is...it's less than 1/100th of the amount that the GOP plan to put on the deficit.

Why don't you give us a link to what the GOP plans to cut in order to stop the debt from rising? Why don't you link us to a jobs plan you endorse that doesn't start out with "By saving the richest 2% from tax increases, small business owners will be able to create jobs for everyone!"?

If it's not a funny haha thread, then at least give us some insight instead of bitching about something that might not even be true. I'll STFU if it's anything over 500m (which I still think is a lot anyway, but whatever, the people we're dealing with in India are into all types of bizarre shit).

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 04:06 AM
This seems less than accurate.

RandomGuy
11-04-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't know if they're a "teabagger" site but there's this...

'$200m-a-day' cost of Barack Obama's trip to India will be picked up by U.S. taxpayers (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325990/Obamas-200m-day-India-visit-picked-US-taxpayers.html)

it was reported today

The guy was basically regurgitating other websites.

He also varied between 200M figure for the whole trip spent on security, and 200M per day.

Sloppy journalism, poorly sourced.

About on par with most of the stuff you post.

RandomGuy
11-04-2010, 07:40 AM
There are 40 jets involved also.

:lmao

You *will* believe anything, won't you?

RandomGuy
11-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Your article is for the income generated in that one city for two days. Not the total bill. Read this:

US to spend $200 mn a day on Obama's Mumbai visit (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us-to-spend-200-mn-a-day-on-obama-s-mumbai-visit-64106)

Once again this looks like bad journalism/math.

"$200 million per day"

"The huge amount of around $200 million would be spent on security,"

Dude is there for 10 days. Source quoted appears to be what the *Indian goverment* is spending TOTAL, but the journalist goes off and says that figure is "per day".

a top official of the Maharashtra Government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit said

The quote didn't say by whom the amount was to be spent.

I have little doubt that putting our chief executive in an area where terrorism is a real possibility is going to entail a lot of security, and that would be expensive.

But the $2bn figure is far beyond the pale. The fact that WC and Yoni are so willing to accept it on face value says more about their lack of critical thinking when it comes to their ideological views than anything else.

ElNono
11-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't think you can manage to spend $200m per day in India. Doing it consistently for 10 days straight sounds like an even bigger impossibility.

BlairForceDejuan
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah. So unnecessary an expense. Maybe our next president will have his supporters pack up a bunch of brown bags before he takes on a foreign policy trip.

They fucking should.

DarrinS
11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm a little dubious of this figure, even with a few thousand people going, forty planes, entire hotels, etc. If 2 billion for 10 days is right, then it is more than the monthly rate of the war in Afghanistan.

baseline bum
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM

You *will* believe anything, won't you?

He believed 10/15 = 0.833, so anything's possible.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm a little dubious of this figureOnly a little?

He believed 10/15 = 0.833, so anything's possible.No shit. Michelle Bachmann also thinks 85,000 = 1,000,000.

TeyshaBlue
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Seriously? We're going to put a price tag on matters of state? As if there were some way to comparatively shop for a Presidential trip to India?

This is beyond irrational. It's almost pathalogically dishonest.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Oh, okay. With 10% unemployment, we should all be cool with the president spending $40 million for ten day trips :rolleyes

I can save our country a lot of money. Here you go Mr. President:

http://www.gotomeeting.com

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I don't think you can manage to spend $200m per day in India. Doing it consistently for 10 days straight sounds like an even bigger impossibility.

Well, if you're transporting 3,000 people halfway around the world, paying for overtime, food, travel, etc. it can add up.

I doubt it's $200 million, but then again, there's this little gem:

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_tunnel-for-obama-near-mani-bhavan_1461946

Since it is difficult to monitor such a congested area, they came up with a quick solution which left the Indians accompanying them amazed: A bomb-proof over-ground tunnel — to be installed by US military engineers in just an hour

1 KM long bombproof portable tunnel?

And

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/34-warships-sent-from-us-for-obama-visit-64459?cp

Anyone know what the operating cost of a carrier group is for 10 days? That's got to add up too.

TeyshaBlue
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, if you're transporting 3,000 people halfway around the world, paying for overtime, food, travel, etc. it can add up.

I doubt it's $200 million, but then again, there's this little gem:

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_tunnel-for-obama-near-mani-bhavan_1461946

1 KM long bombproof portable tunnel?

This I gotta see!

balli
11-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh, okay. With 10% unemployment, we should all be cool with the president spending $40 million for ten day trips :rolleyes

I can save our country a lot of money. Here you go Mr. President:

http://www.gotomeeting.com

Typing this post would be dumb enough. Typing it after all the posts in this thread that preceded it:

is beyond irrational.

Seriously, you are retarded to an insane degree if you think we could or should conduct state meetings with India via fucking teleconference. God help this country if clueless, dumb as fucking brick assholes like yourself are truly the norm.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 12:57 PM
And

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/34-warships-sent-from-us-for-obama-visit-64459?cp

Anyone know what the operating cost of a carrier group is for 10 days? That's got to add up too.The carrier group would be completely inactive for those 10 days otherwise?

TeyshaBlue
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM
The carrier group would be completely inactive for those 10 days otherwise?

They were scheduled to have a fundraiser bake sale during that time!:ihit

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
They were scheduled to have a fundraiser bake sale during that time!:ihitSo they would have been making money.

Dammit!

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
The carrier group would be completely inactive for those 10 days otherwise?

From what I read, they were re-tasked from elsewhere. So I guess the "true" cost is whatever was spent in fuel to get there and back from wherever they came from.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Typing this post would be dumb enough. Typing it after all the posts in this thread that preceded it:

Seriously, you are retarded to an insane degree if you think we could or should conduct state meetings with India via fucking teleconference. God help this country if clueless, dumb as fucking brick assholes like yourself are truly the norm.

Lick my taint Balli. You are such a liberal shill. That was tongue in cheek about Webex, but damn there's gotta be cheaper ways to conduct foreign policy than taking you and 3000 of your closest friends halfway around the world and booking out the Taj Mahal.

Go smoke some weed and lighten up Francis.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
From what I read, they were re-tasked from elsewhere. So I guess the "true" cost is whatever was spent in fuel to get there and back from wherever they came from.That might be true if they were just anchored somewhere not moving at all. I'm under the impression that they move constantly.

balli
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
but damn there's gotta be cheaper ways to conduct foreign policy than taking you and 3000 of your closest friends halfway around the world and booking out the Taj Mahal.
Closest friends? GMAFB. Yeah, Obama just called up his whole Blackberry contact list and took them all, just because...

Or maybe, like I said yesterday, Obama sees the writing on the wall in Pakistan and and since India is a humongous and populous country with various religious and political sects, it might take more than a handful of people to go over there and actually form the types of alliances and strategies we will need to defend ourselves and the world from a rogue, nuclear Pakistan.

Again, like I said, the average retarded teabag POS is too stupid to see the necessity of complexity in anything; continue to draw your asinine conclusions.

balli
11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
And in fact, if the op's website is the source which cites '3,000 people and 40 jets' I am beyond skeptical of its veracity.

MannyIsGod
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM

^^^Only appropriate response to this thread.

MannyIsGod
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM

^^^Only appropriate response to this thread.

coyotes_geek
11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I hope Obama names a Trip to India Czar.

MannyIsGod
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Its ok. Obama plans to go on the Indian Version of WWTBAM chai wallah style and make some of the money back.

Nbadan
11-04-2010, 07:24 PM
LOL at the wingnuts spinning this like Obama is taking 3000 friends and family to India for 10 days

...it's an economic summit, he is taking business leaders to try and spur US-Indian business which could generate billions in taxes annually...

.....but the GOP wants us to fail....

Nbadan
11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
The Pentagon did not mince words in dismissing as “absolutely absurd” and “comical” media reports from Indian news outlets that the US Navy was sending 34 warships off the coast of Mumbai as part of the security preparations for President Obama’s upcoming trip to India.

Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell did not shy away from dismissing reports that appeared in Indian media outlets, such as the Press Trust of India and the television network NDTV. The Press Trust of India is that country’s largest news agency.

Morrell told reporters he was making an exception to the practice of not discussing Presidential security details to shoot down the reports.

“I will take the liberty this time of dismissing as absolutely absurd this notion that somehow we were deploying 10 percent of the Navy -- some 34 ships and an aircraft carrier -- in support of the president's trip to Asia,” said Morrell at today’s Pentagon briefing. “That's just comical. Nothing close to that is being done."

He acknowledged that a Presidential trip requiring security needs “should not come as a surprise to anyone” and that the Defense Department “does play a role in support of Presidential missions.” He said it was customary to not discuss such security requests, but “I made an exception in batting down this absurd notion of there being 34 ships, or more than 10 percent of the Navy, deployed in support of this trip. That is most certainly not the case.”

Read more: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/11/pentago...

Wild Cobra
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
LOL at the wingnuts spinning this like Obama is taking 3000 friends and family to India for 10 days

...it's an economic summit, he is taking business leaders to try and spur US-Indian business which could generate billions in taxes annually...

.....but the GOP wants us to fail....
The 3000 number includes business men. Probably to outsource more jobs to India.

I was skeptical of the $3 billion figure, but the tunnel and support? Then on top of that, they don't deny any of this except to say it doesn't cost $3 billion, but they won't say how much either. What is it? $2,999 million?

jack sommerset
11-04-2010, 09:11 PM
This is disturbing. This cat just doesn't give a shit.

Wild Cobra
11-04-2010, 09:17 PM
This is disturbing. This cat just doesn't give a shit.
I know. It's a real transparent administration. As transparent as obsidian glass.

ElNono
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
So, how much was actually spent? Anybody got the receipts?
I mean, they've been seemingly condemned already, so I gather the evidence is out there for everyone to see, right?

Wild Cobra
11-04-2010, 09:32 PM
I mean, they've been seemingly condemned already, so I gather the evidence is out there for everyone to see, right?
I'm sure someone will compile a number at some point.

ElNono
11-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm sure someone will compile a number at some point.

But you already have your mind set, so the actual numbers are truly irrelevant, right?

Wild Cobra
11-04-2010, 09:36 PM
But you already have your mind set, so the actual numbers are truly irrelevant, right?
My mindset isn't in stone on this. I gave an approximate $200 million for the total trip as being excessive. It all depends on the details involved.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, the White House has historically given detailed accounts of cost regarding security for every single presidential trip. It makes perfect sense.

ElNono
11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
My mindset isn't in stone on this. I gave an approximate $200 million for the total trip as being excessive. It all depends on the details involved.

You don't have a chart comparing to previous trips since the '60s?

Wild Cobra
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
You don't have a chart comparing to previous trips since the '60s?
No. Do you? And under what circumstances?

MannyIsGod
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM

ElNono
11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
No. Do you?

lol, I certainly don't.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I gave an approximate $200 million for the total tripHow did you approximate this?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2010, 11:13 PM

FWIW, I did find numbers on carrier group costs. 18 ships at an average of $250K / day (operating costs + crew salary). That's roughly 4.5 million / day. At 10 days that's $45 million for the carrier group on station alone.

I question the $200 million number, but the number is probably easily $60 million depending on how many went.

ElNono
11-04-2010, 11:32 PM
FWIW, I did find numbers on carrier group costs. 18 ships at an average of $250K / day (operating costs + crew salary). That's roughly 4.5 million / day. At 10 days that's $45 million for the carrier group on station alone.

I question the $200 million number, but the number is probably easily $60 million depending on how many went.

$2 billion! Stop the presses!

clambake
11-04-2010, 11:37 PM
wc still running from his owner. lol

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 01:32 AM

I question the $200 million number, but the number is probably easily $60 million depending on how many went.Except the Pentagon said the carrier group isn't involved.

And even if they were for some unexplained reason, what is the difference between this job and normal operations that you just accounted for?

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 05:09 AM

For purposes of scale (and to hopefully quiet your gullible partisan paranoia), the entire military operation in Afghanistan costs 190M per day (factcheck.org (http://factcheck.org/2010/11/ask-factcheck-trip-to-mumbai/)).

Are you really saying that the annual travel budget of the POTUS could even remotely be comparable? That doesn't even remotely try to be a credible claim, man. Use your head.

boutons_deux
11-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Nutcase (and senior Repug) Michelle Bachmann and scumbag Drudge are pushing this slime job, which proves it's a lie. Lots of threads in here about lies pushed by ST wrongies

No, Pentagon says, Obama will not be guarded by 34 ships

India's NDTV website ran a report claiming a 34-ship security detail, citing the Press Trust of India, which was in turn picked up by the popular US website, Drudge Report.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/pentagon-obama-guarded-34-ships/

and the Indians have terminated all those murderous coconuts!

RandomGuy
11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
This thread will pass into politics forum history as one destined for the term "classic".

RandomGuy
11-05-2010, 08:31 AM
The 3000 number includes business men. Probably to outsource more jobs to India.

Probably taking along executives from Harley-Davidson. They are building a plant there to bypass the import taxes on finished motorcycles.

More jobs for India.

Except they will require parts, which are made in the US, and overall administration at corporate headquarters which has to be hired in the US.

Outsourcing will be the result of the "free market". Are you against the free market now?

MannyIsGod
11-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Anytime WC wants to argue about anything numbers related I think I'll just bump this thread. If you're an asshole who can't figure out that a trip isn't going to cost 2 fucking billion dollars then you should never be taken seriously in any kind of discussion dealing with money.

fraga
11-05-2010, 09:37 AM

1. Where in fuck did you read all this nonsense
2. Not everything on the internets is true
3. Stop relying on fake news organizations for ALL of your information
4. They can't disclose how much they're spending due to Security
5. Where in the fuck did you get all this crap...

Spurminator
11-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Willful stupidity

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Probably taking along executives from Harley-Davidson. They are building a plant there to bypass the import taxes on finished motorcycles.

More jobs for India.

Except they will require parts, which are made in the US, and overall administration at corporate headquarters which has to be hired in the US.

Outsourcing will be the result of the "free market". Are you against the free market now?

Let's hope to Buddah that they don't levy an import tax on motorcycle parts.

Spurminator
11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
So let me get this straight, they're NOT using 40 jets every day for ten days? Crazy!

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Anytime WC wants to argue about anything numbers related I think I'll just bump this thread. If you're an asshole who can't figure out that a trip isn't going to cost 2 fucking billion dollars then you should never be taken seriously in any kind of discussion dealing with money.
Sorry that you're too stupid to see I was questioning that number from the start.

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Sorry that you're too stupid to see I was questioning that number from the start.

No, you blindly accepted that number from the get go.
I was skeptical of this till I read he is bringing an entourage of 3,000 people with him, and renting the entire Taj Mahal Palace, and 570 rooms. There are 40 jets involved also. Total cost is $200,000,000 a day. If he stays for the intended 10 days, that is $2 billion.

Later, to your credit, you backed off the 2 billion and somehow settled on the $200 million or above line in the sand....which is equally ludicrous.

The central point you keep dancing around in some bizarre, passive-agressive display of bovine incomprehension, is this:

It's a matter of state. Cost is ulitmately, irrelevant. There is no cost/benefit ratio to compare with other trips of state...Get over it.

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 10:26 AM
It's a matter of state. Cost is ulitmately, irrelevant. There is no cost/benefit ratio to compare with other trips of state...Get over it.

Nonsense! If Obama got a ranch and stayed there instead of doing all this dip-lo-matic horseshit, it would save the taxpayers approximately 1.3T/yr.

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Nonsense! If Obama got a ranch and stayed there instead of doing all this dip-lo-matic horseshit, it would save the taxpayers approximately 1.3T/yr.

Bullshit! Them chainsaws don't grow on trees, ya know!:greedy

RandomGuy
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM

I was skeptical of this [until] I read

I was hungry, until I ate. (inference: I stopped being hungry after I ate)

I was sleepy, until I slept. (inference: I stopped being sleepy after I slept)

You were skeptical until you read something. (inference: You stopped being skeptical)

You weren't questioning the number. That is the problem. You stopped questioning it after you read something that vaguely fluffed it out. Then, instead of applying some modicum of rational skepticism, you went off and treated it as real enough to post this thread.

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
No, you blindly accepted that number from the get go.
I was less skeptical, seeing it was possibly real. Never accepted it as fact. My title with the question mark should be enough for anyone with intelligence.

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I was less skeptical, seeing it was possibly real. Never accepted it as fact. My title with the question mark should be enough for anyone with intelligence.

Anyone with intelligence knows that a question mark is relative to either a statement or intent. Keep it up tho! I'll be your enabler!:rolleyes

So your statement "God... This is getting ridiculous." really meant that you were questioning why the amounts were not correct. Ok, I get it now.

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
The central point you keep dancing around in some bizarre, passive-agressive display of bovine incomprehension, is this:

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 10:47 AM

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll320/snackbar50/shell-game-animated.gif

"Where's the pretty lady?"

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Sorry that we speak different languages. I know what I meant. If the sum of my posts elude you all, then what am I to say.

RandomGuy
11-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Until of course, you stated precisely the opposite in your OP.

Anyone of intelligence would interpret the statement "I was skeptical, until I read something" as saying you stopped being skeptical, yes or no?

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Until of course, you stated precisely the opposite in your OP.

Anyone of intelligence would interpret the statement "I was skeptical, until I read something" as saying you stopped being skeptical, yes or no?
My God. I went from skeptical to open minded of the possibility. Why is that so fucking hard to understand?

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
My God. I went from skeptical to open minded of the possibility. Why is that so fucking hard to understand?

Why is that so fucking hard to understand?

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Why is that so fucking hard to understand?
Cost is relevant.

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Cost is relevant.

Ok, I'll play another round of passive/agressive theater.

Relevant to what?

Cry Havoc
11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Debunking the myth: The cost of Obama's trip to Asia

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/05/obama.asia.cost/index.html?hpt=C1

(CNN) -- It's a story that originated from a single, unnamed sourced in India -- but it quickly gained momentum, spreading like wildfire among critics of the Obama administration in the United States and eventually, the airwaves.

The claim: The United States will be "spending a whopping $200 million per day" on President Barack Obama's trip to Asia.

That's roughly the amount the federal government spends each day on the war in Afghanistan. The figure has been dismissed by the White House as "wildly inflated."

What's more, the claim doesn't appear to hold water.

The former chief of staff for George W. Bush told CNN's Anderson Cooper in a Thursday interview that it doesn't pass the "sniff test."

"It doesn't to me, but I think the White House is appropriate in saying they don't talk about what it costs for the president to travel," said Andrew Card. "We want our president to be safe wherever he goes. I can't imagine it would cost $200 million a day.

"If it costs anywhere close to that number, the president should be asking tough questions of the Defense Department and the Secret Service and the State Department. But he should also be paying attention to keeping his entourage as small as credibly possible and still do the job that he has to do for the country as he travels."

While the White House has not released specifics on the cost of the trip, citing security concerns, White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage has said, "It's safe to say these numbers are wildly inflated."

Those numbers, according to Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann, are: $200 million a day, $2 billion total, 34 diverted Navy ships, a 2,000-person presidential entourage, and 870 hotel rooms in India.

"And these are five-star hotel rooms at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel," Bachmann told CNN's "AC 360" Wednesday night.

Pressed by Cooper to back up her numbers, Bachmann said, "These are the numbers that are coming out in the press."

The press she was referring to is the Press Trust of India, one of the largest news organizations in that country. Its source for Tuesday's article on the cost of Obama's trip was based on a single anonymous source: "a top official of the Maharashtra government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit."

The Press Trust article was picked up by The Drudge Report and other sites online and quickly made its way into conservative talk radio, sparking outrage by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage and others.

The White House and Pentagon have fielded questions about the Indian report and have dismissed the claims in the article.

"I will take the liberty this time of dismissing as absolutely absurd this notion that somehow we're deploying 10 percent of the Navy, some 34 ships and an aircraft carrier in support of the president's trip to Asia," Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell told reporters this week. "That's just comical. Nothing close to that is -- is -- being done."

While the exact cost of Obama's 10-day trip to Asia is not known to the public, an examination of similar presidential excursions in the past support the likelihood that the $200 million-a-day figure is exaggerated.

For example, an 11-day trip by then-President Bill Clinton to Africa in 1998 involved about 1,300 people cost $5.2 million a day, according to the federal Government Accountability Office, which adjusted for inflation.

Obama's trip, which kicks off Friday, is intended to expand export markets and strengthen security cooperation in what he considers a region vital to U.S. interests.

The trip to India, Indonesia, South Korea and Japan encompasses a G-20 summit, an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, major holidays in India and Indonesia, and bilateral talks with Chinese President Hu Jintao and at least five other leaders, as well as four presidential news conferences.

It's all part of an administration focus on Asia as a strategic region in the 21st century, said Ben Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser for strategic communications.

The president's itinerary in India includes a speech to the Indian parliament, a state dinner and a wreath-laying at the grave of Indian independence leader Mahatma Gandhi.

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Ok, I'll play another round of passive/agressive theater.

Relevant to what?
It's out tax dollars at stake, and we are already deep in the red.

I'm done with you making this about me. Move on to better relevance, or facts about the trip.

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 11:05 AM
It's out tax dollars at stake, and we are already deep in the red.

I'm done with you making this about me. Move on to better relevance, or facts about the trip.
Oh, don't pussy out now. Let's explore this.
We are spending tax dollars on a great many things. Why is a matter of state suddenly relevant to the rest of our tax expenditures?

Wild Cobra
11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
We are spending tax dollars on a great many things. Why is a matter of state suddenly relevant to the rest of our tax expenditures?
Like I said, it is a concern if it is costing near a total of $200 million. I agree we want to show up are a rich country. Hell, an idea of the White house was to be a grand setting.

I'm curious why you would possibly defend such spending.

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Because the cost of diplomatic travel is the same Saigon Whore that bit the USSR's nose* off!!!

* And by nose, I mean economic viability.

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Like I said, it is a concern if it is costing near a total of $200 million. I agree we want to show up are a rich country. Hell, an idea of the White house was to be a grand setting.

Is pointing out the absurdity of the projected cost the same as defending it?

TeyshaBlue
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM

I'm saying the cost is irrelvant. You've done nothing to show me otherwise. Ok, I get it. It's expensive. Lots of things are, WC. You've got to make a case for cost/benefit before you can condemn the spending in question. You've not done this. When you finally are able to, then maybe, I'll either defend the spending or I might agree with you. But the fact remains, you can't and neither can I. That metric doesn't even exist and any judgement of the spending as bad or excessive goes right out the window.

fraga
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
everyone read this and stfu already!!!

debunking the myth: The cost of obama's trip to asia

http://www.cnn.com/2010/politics/11/05/obama.asia.cost/index.html?hpt=c1

(cnn) -- it's a story that originated from a single, unnamed sourced in india -- but it quickly gained momentum, spreading like wildfire among critics of the obama administration in the united states and eventually, the airwaves.

The claim: The united states will be "spending a whopping $200 million per day" on president barack obama's trip to asia.

That's roughly the amount the federal government spends each day on the war in afghanistan. The figure has been dismissed by the white house as "wildly inflated."

what's more, the claim doesn't appear to hold water.

The former chief of staff for george w. Bush told cnn's anderson cooper in a thursday interview that it doesn't pass the "sniff test."

"it doesn't to me, but i think the white house is appropriate in saying they don't talk about what it costs for the president to travel," said andrew card. "we want our president to be safe wherever he goes. I can't imagine it would cost $200 million a day.

"if it costs anywhere close to that number, the president should be asking tough questions of the defense department and the secret service and the state department. But he should also be paying attention to keeping his entourage as small as credibly possible and still do the job that he has to do for the country as he travels."

while the white house has not released specifics on the cost of the trip, citing security concerns, white house spokeswoman amy brundage has said, "it's safe to say these numbers are wildly inflated."

those numbers, according to republican rep. Michele bachmann, are: $200 million a day, $2 billion total, 34 diverted navy ships, a 2,000-person presidential entourage, and 870 hotel rooms in india.

"and these are five-star hotel rooms at the taj mahal palace hotel," bachmann told cnn's "ac 360" wednesday night.

Pressed by cooper to back up her numbers, bachmann said, "these are the numbers that are coming out in the press."

the press she was referring to is the press trust of india, one of the largest news organizations in that country. Its source for tuesday's article on the cost of obama's trip was based on a single anonymous source: "a top official of the maharashtra government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit."

the press trust article was picked up by the drudge report and other sites online and quickly made its way into conservative talk radio, sparking outrage by the likes of rush limbaugh, michael savage and others.

The white house and pentagon have fielded questions about the indian report and have dismissed the claims in the article.

"i will take the liberty this time of dismissing as absolutely absurd this notion that somehow we're deploying 10 percent of the navy, some 34 ships and an aircraft carrier in support of the president's trip to asia," pentagon spokesman geoff morrell told reporters this week. "that's just comical. Nothing close to that is -- is -- being done."

while the exact cost of obama's 10-day trip to asia is not known to the public, an examination of similar presidential excursions in the past support the likelihood that the $200 million-a-day figure is exaggerated.

For example, an 11-day trip by then-president bill clinton to africa in 1998 involved about 1,300 people cost $5.2 million a day, according to the federal government accountability office, which adjusted for inflation.

Obama's trip, which kicks off friday, is intended to expand export markets and strengthen security cooperation in what he considers a region vital to u.s. Interests.

The trip to india, indonesia, south korea and japan encompasses a g-20 summit, an asia-pacific economic cooperation summit, major holidays in india and indonesia, and bilateral talks with chinese president hu jintao and at least five other leaders, as well as four presidential news conferences.

It's all part of an administration focus on asia as a strategic region in the 21st century, said ben rhodes, the deputy national security adviser for strategic communications.

The president's itinerary in india includes a speech to the indian parliament, a state dinner and a wreath-laying at the grave of indian independence leader mahatma gandhi.

baseline bum
11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Michelle Bachman has to be the stupidest fucking cunt in Congress, which is a hell of an accomplishment.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah - she's pretty special. If she gets a leadership position just LOL.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
So what's the verdict, Yonivore?

scott
11-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I have to double-check my Intel Blogs, but sources say the actual total was somewhere closer to 100 billion. Obama rode on a gold plated elephant through a 600 mile underground slip-n-slide to play bocce ball with his high school friend on day 6, which added a significant amount to the final bill.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I haven't read any news stories denying those numbers, scott, so they obviously have merit.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I haven't read any news stories denying those numbers, scott, so they obviously have merit.

MannyIsGod
11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
:lol

How the fuck does Yoni's post even make sense?

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
:lol

How the fuck does Yoni's post even make sense?
Obscure election reference of which you obviously lack knowledge. It's okay.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Is this obscure reference meant to somehow mask the fact that you're a liar?

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Is this obscure reference meant to somehow mask the fact that you're a liar?
Oooooh! A multi-thread attack.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 11:23 PM
I know, it's a pain... Maybe you could keep all your bullshit in a single "What is Yonivore Pretending to Believe Today" thread and make it easier on all of us. It's really a win-win as I see it.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I know, it's a pain... Maybe you could keep all your bullshit in a single "What is Yonivore Pretending to Believe Today" thread and make it easier on all of us. It's really a win-win as I see it.
How you "see it" doesn't concern me.

MannyIsGod
11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Yoni basically post threads because he likes to hear himself speak.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Yoni basically post threads because he likes to hear himself speak.
Actually, y'all are far more entertaining than I am. Dance monkey, dance!

MannyIsGod
11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Who do you think you're fooling? When you repeatedly have to tell people you don't care what they think you're not saying it to convince them but yourself. I can almost set my clock by how soon you will be posting to someone that you don't care what they think.

People who truly don't care what others think don't spend so much time saying it outloud.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
How you "see it" doesn't concern me.

I'm not concerned with concerning you, I just think you should consider it. Think of how easy it would be to completely change the subject and direction of the thread every time you're called out or proven wrong. You can manipulate it however you'd like! It's really a compelling idea. As I see it.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm not concerned with concerning you,...
And, still, you try to concern me with whatever followed that I didn't read.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Who do you think you're fooling? When you repeatedly have to tell people you don't care what they think you're not saying it to convince them but yourself. I can almost set my clock by how soon you will be posting to someone that you don't care what they think.

People who truly don't care what others think don't spend so much time saying it outloud.
Do I care what you're saying or am I just getting you to continue posting?

Go back to any thread you've started and see if I've ever cared enough to post. There probably be a few but, for the most part, I stay in threads I start and to which you've responded.

No, I don't much care what you say. Now, keep dancing.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
"What is Yonivore Pretending to Believe Today"

The more I think about it, this would be a great blog. Maybe you could even get advertisers. Does Goldline advertise online?

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:45 PM

The more I think about it, this would be a great blog. Maybe you could even get advertisers. Does Goldline advertise online?
Go for it! Kind of like "Shit My Dad Says," right?

MannyIsGod
11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Do I care what you're saying or am I just getting you to continue posting?

Go back to any thread you've started and see if I've ever cared enough to post. There probably be a few but, for the most part, I stay in threads I start and to which you've responded.

No, I don't much care what you say. Now, keep dancing.

mmk

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:49 PM
mmk
That's right, mmk.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Go for it! Kind of like "Shit My Dad Says," right?

I have neither the talent nor the dedication necessary to create and consistently maintain the kind of persona you've kept in your time here at little Spurstalk. It really wouldn't be the same. Inevitably I'd allow signs of dignity and humanity to sneak into the blog postings and it would ruin the whole creation.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I have neither the talent nor the dedication necessary...Blah, blah, blah...okay, whatever. It was your brain fart to begin with.

balli
11-10-2010, 11:59 PM

:rollin

Spurminator
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Blah, blah, blah...okay, whatever. It was your brain fart to begin with.

Well damn, you try to give a guy a compliment...

Spurminator
11-11-2010, 12:02 AM
But you never did answer the original question... What's the deal with the $2B cost estimate?

Yonivore
11-11-2010, 12:12 AM
But you never did answer the original question... What's the deal with the $2B cost estimate?
If I Were a Bad Boy (http://www.mullings.com/11-10-10.htm)

If I were bent on causing disruption in foreign countries and had unlimited funds to do it (a working definition of the CIA) here's what I would have concocted for President Obama's overseas trip.
What a trip, eh?

Spurminator
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM
So you DO have a blog!

Yonivore
11-11-2010, 12:21 AM
So you DO have a blog!
Yeah, go fuck with me there!

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Is that an intel blog?

Wild Cobra
11-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone get a dollar figure yet on that portable bomb proof tunnel?

I'll bet that was very expensive...

clambake
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM

cuz its bomb proof?

scott
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM

$70 trillion

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
$70 trillionFox News will now cite you as a source.

Wild Cobra
11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
$70 trillion
So it makes it unlikely the trip is only $100 million. The $200 million might be right for the trip. Not per day.

Sound right?

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
So it makes it unlikely the trip is only $100 million. The $200 million might be right for the trip. Not per day.

Sound right?No. It doesn't.

Stringer_Bell
11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Fox News will now cite you as a source.

Fox News hasn't cited Scott as a source yet, but WC bit down on that shit pretty hard. :rollin

DId you guys hear that they cut down all the coconuts from the trees cuz they were security threats? :wow

Wild Cobra
11-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Fox News hasn't cited Scott as a source yet, but WC bit down on that shit pretty hard. :rollin
I don't know what the numbers are, but I am sure of two things. This trip is costing more than it should. If GWB spent the same on the same trip, he would have been castigated by the media for it.

DId you guys hear that they cut down all the coconuts from the trees cuz they were security threats? :wow
There are statistics out there. More people die from falling coconuts than shark attacks, and other scary deaths that people fear.

I wonder if they are instead, worried about someone tossing a coconut rather than a shoe?

ChumpDumper
11-12-2010, 04:33 AM
I don't know what the numbers are, but I am sure of two things. This trip is costing more than it should. If GWB spent the same on the same trip, he would have been castigated by the media for it.If you don't know what it actually costs, you can't say it costs too much.

There are statistics out there. More people die from falling coconuts than shark attacks, and other scary deaths that people fear.

I wonder if they are instead, worried about someone tossing a coconut rather than a shoe?More likely they are thinking of bombs planted in or disguised to look like coconuts.

Winehole23
11-12-2010, 10:06 AM
And of all these countries, India, which has fought a border war with China, is the most natural anchor for such a U.S. partnership. It’s not just our inherent affinities — democratic, English-speaking, free-market, dedicated to the rule of law. It is also the coincidence of our strategic imperatives: We both face the threat of radical Islam and the longer-term challenge of a rising China.

Which is why Obama’s dramatic call for India to be made a permanent member of the Security Council was so important. However useless and obsolete the U.N. may be, a Security Council seat carries totemic significance. It would elevate India, while helping bind it to us as our most strategic and organic Third World ally.

China is no enemy, but it remains troublingly adversarial. Which is why India must be the center of our Asian diplomacy. And why Obama’s trip — coconuts and all — was worth every penny.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/253121/why-obama-right-about-india-charles-krauthammer#

SnakeBoy
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/253121/why-obama-right-about-india-charles-krauthammer#

Seriously, you post an article from a flaming liberal like Krauthammer defending Obama? What else would you expect from a leftist like him? Obama is the DEVIL!

Charles Krauthammer supports the devil while opposing witches. What a hypocrite!

RandomGuy
11-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Seriously, you post an article from a flaming liberal like Krauthammer defending Obama? What else would you expect from a leftist like him? Obama is the DEVIL!

Charles Krauthammer supports the devil while opposing witches. What a hypocrite!

Your spluttering incoherence is amusing.

No offense.

I am seriously not sure I really can decipher your post, but it was funny to read.

TeyshaBlue
11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Your spluttering incoherence is amusing.

No offense.

I am seriously not sure I really can decipher your post, but it was funny to read.

Ima thinking SB is working blue.:lol

Stringer_Bell
11-12-2010, 05:27 PM
More likely they are thinking of bombs planted in or disguised to look like coconuts.

That's what I was thinking, but then WC mentioned the much more logical and reality based risk of falling coconuts and suddenly I began to feel like the crazy one. :depressed

ducks
09-08-2018, 12:24 AM

ElNono
09-08-2018, 12:26 AM
https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2016/11-17/t28GOLzF5b-12.png

TeyshaBlue
09-08-2018, 09:15 AM
I miss Admiral Snackbar. WC, not so much.

baseline bum
09-08-2018, 10:30 AM
I miss Admiral Snackbar. WC, not so much.

WC's still here under the name rmt most likely.

RandomGuy
09-10-2018, 11:35 AM
I agree with the general point of what you just said. I do understand such things. I just disagree with the cost, If it is anywhere near the $200,000,000, or above.

The figure was risible on its face. The US president doesn't travel with thousands of people.

Debunked in every way possible:
https://www.factcheck.org/2010/11/ask-factcheck-trip-to-mumbai/
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/05/obama.asia.cost/index.html
https://www.weeklystandard.com/jeryl-bier/hotels-for-obamas-india-visit-cost-17m

This should have set off alarm bells for anyone with an ounce of real skepticism.

RandomGuy
09-10-2018, 11:37 AM
[reposting of OP]

Sad. Just... sad.