PDA

View Full Version : Turnover Bug?

BanditHiro
11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Did not see any of the pre-season, but were turnovers a problem then? Why are the spurs struggling on taking care of the ball?

Nathan89
11-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I think Sean said it was to much:corn: before the game.

crc21209
11-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I think alot of the turnovers tonight were because the Spurs seemed to be rushing and trying to play at the Suns pace tonight. It could also have to do with everyone not being used to each other yet..hopefully the problem is fixed in the near future.

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 12:19 AM
definitely something we have to clean up. that comes with adding new guys to a team though.

HarlemHeat37
11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Poor spacing is one of the reasons IMO, Parker and Ginobili don't have as much room to operate with the Blair-Duncan lineup..this won't be an issue once Splitter starts..also, the opposing team is gonna have to start respecting Jefferson's outside shot more now that he's making them, so that will help..

Stupid passes is another reason, obviously, especially from Ginobili..bad decisions in general, which is always one of the main reasons a team turns it over..

Duncan is also having trouble recognizing the help D from the guards down low, he's been stripped a lot by the help defender this season..while Tim has had his troubles with holding on to the ball the last few seasons, it has never been to this extent..he isn't going all out yet, so I don't think that's an issue..

Another reason is that the Spurs are still getting accustomed to pushing the pace..after this game, the Spurs will be near the top 5 in pace..the last time the Spurs were even in the top 10 in pace was 1995-1996..

The Spurs are also near the top 5 in fast break points so far this season..you would never expect that from a Spurs team..

All factors IMO..

WildcardManu
11-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Faster pace = more turnover prone. We're used to their half court sets where they do everything slower and timely.

SenorSpur
11-04-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm always amazed at how many passes get throw to Duncan's feet. Manu is a prime culprit of this. Even in his prime, this wasn't a good idea. In fact, it's a cardinal basketball sin to throw a low pass to a big. It's painful watching Duncan try to bend over to pick those up, and by that time, the ball is stolen and going the other way.

AFBlue
11-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Chalk it up to early-season miscues. There are a bunch of new players integrating into the system and that can screw up even the guys who've been here for years. I'm confident they'll tighten it up in the coming weeks.

They did seem especially frantic in the early going though.

Leonard Curse
11-04-2010, 02:31 AM
the rookies + tim duncan seems to be losing that ball more than ever!! i think that will get better as the season goes on (duncan 4 sure) hopefully the rooks as well but it will take them a lil longer

Danny.Zhu
11-04-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm not worried about the TO issues. That's one area that will improve as the season goes, while some other areas won't, like athleticism of the Big 3.

jestersmash
11-04-2010, 02:41 AM
We turned the ball over 23 times on the road and still managed to win the game. I see nothing but positives after such a horrendous showing (as far as taking care of the ball is concerned).

I'd rather be a turnover-prone mediocre defensive team that can consistently score > 100 than a pristine defensive team that consistently has offensive woes. Why? Because the former is easier to fix over the course of a season.

boutons_deux
11-04-2010, 07:22 AM
crappy FT shooting and high turnovers were the keys to the 2003 championship

romain.star
11-04-2010, 07:35 AM
new players + fast pace + early november = turnovers

Spurs Brazil
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Not to be a killjoy, but what’s up with the turnovers?
Posted on November 4, 2010 by Jeff McDonald

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/04/not-to-be-a-killjoy-but-whats-up-with-the-turnovers/

20beastie45
11-04-2010, 02:38 PM
What are the turnovers by quarter? As long as we take care of the ball when it is crunch time, we'll be alright...when we start taking care of the ball through 4 quarters, we'll be blowing teams out.