PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's Pointless Post-Game Thoughts #1

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Figured I would do this after some of the games and see what some of ya'll had to say about my thoughts and opinions of the Spurs. First thing I wanted to comment on was DeJuan Blair. I know a lot of people are calling to sit him on the bench and sometimes it might be easy to jump the gun on his poor play to start the season, but I think it's vital to his and our success that we keep him out there for a while. While he's sucked the first four games of the season, I've seen mild improvement in each game, nothing major, but in his latest game tonight I think it's safe to say it was his best. It's important because we know what he's capable of and we've got to build his confidence up and make him more comfortable out there. In the second half it looked to me that he was more comfortable with the ball, passing, and rebounding. No flinch-like movements.

Richard Jefferson's accent annoys the hell out of me. :lol Where is that guy from? The way he's playing it doesn't matter where he's from or how he talks though. The level of his play seems to improve every night. Tonight he was a cold blooded killer from the three point line and led the team in minutes and points. He had a few turnovers that weren't to my liking, but just about everyone on this team did. Like the first few games he was still highly efficient scoring the ball and even hit 6 of 6 from free throws where he's been slightly struggling. This might really be the best Richard Jefferson we've ever seen and it's almost safe to say that the Spurs no longer have the big 3, but the big 4.

A lot of us were worried about Tim Duncan who played decent against the Clippers, but has looked off since the season opener. A few turnovers to start the game tonight definitely didn't help his cause. But 3 blocks, 17 rebounds, and 25 points later it doesn't seem like we have much to worry about. He more than made up for his 6 turnovers and put on a classic Timmy performance.

Offensively Parker and Ginobili put on a pretty solid performance together. Most of Parker's scoring came early though and I'd like to see better play out of him in the second half. Don't want to see him falling asleep in the second half start becoming a habit of his. I think he's doing a good job at distributing the ball though, as is Ginobili. You'll see the occasional sloppy pass from him, but then he'll find a way to make up for it. One of the few players on the Spurs tonight to hit from outside, but he also found other ways to score. I'll take 18 points and 5 assists from him.

Size was a big bonus for us in this game. I haven't been able to say that as a Spurs fan in a while. Dice is continuing to rebound the ball well this year. My only issue with him is that he seems a bit hesitant sometimes. McDyess got some easy baskets under the rim tonight and Splitter in just 15 minutes is already starting to make a name for himself. He's not in shape yet and that'll take some time to get back into basketball shape. With that being said, to see a supposed out of shape guy in his second game ever in the NBA go and play defense like that, it's what I like to see. His offensive potential might even be higher than some people are giving him credit for. I don't see anyone calling him Oberto 2.0 after he made Warrick look like a joke in the paint. He's got some moves in the post that I can't wait to see.

The defense made some stops in key moments of this game which is the real reason we won. I'm going to go ahead and say one of the better defenders out there on the court for us was James Anderson. He had another block and a steal. We expect solid offense from Splitter and solid scoring from Anderson. But just like I said Splitter's offensive potential might be higher than you think, I can say the same thing for Anderson on the other end. Offensively we got what we needed out of him, hit a three, nice steal transition into a dunk, and his ability to pass the ball were key in this game. Gary Neal didn't hit from the outside and he didn't get very many minutes. But I'm okay with it, he hit a jumpshot for us and shot confidently the two threes he missed. Still looked decent out there, his size at SG isn't what we needed for the Suns though tonight.

Who I'm a little disappointed we didn't use tonight, was Bobby Simmons. He's been playing rough hard nosed defense at the power forward position to start the season and I thought he'd make the perfect small ball PF to go against the Suns. Both teams have a knack for playing small ball when they can, so I just figured going into the game that he'd get some minutes. Something tells me that if he can start shooting the ball better, he'll be able to find a niche on the team, even if it's small minutes at power forward.

Speaking of disappointing, Temple's been nothing but that at the offensive end all season and during the preseason. Tonight he was also lacking on the defensive side and he probably had the worst game of everybody on the Spurs. If we don't see more out of him soon I don't see him getting too many minutes with George Hill healthy and Gary Neal able to run point.

The last thing and most important I want to point out is about the turnovers. Last year if we went out there and turned the ball over 23 times I can just about guarantee we would've let that kill us. And while we gave up the 11 point lead in the 3rd, were down by 3 in the 4th, and my brain just naturally told me that the modern Spurs would find a way to lose the game, we did just the opposite; we found a way to win. Sean Elliott said it best, " Even with the turnovers they still found a way to win and that's what great teams do." Couldn't have said it any better. It tells me that the difference between this year and last year's squad is night and day. Even though shots weren't falling and we were turning the ball over all the time in the first half, we willed ourselves to win this game. Tonight, Jefferson was the one who stepped up and I don't think there's any doubt that he was the player of the game.

Big win guys, I like the sound of 3-1 much more than I do 2-2. Your thoughts?

Edit: I don't know how I forgot to give a shout out to Timmy for passing George Gervin and becoming the #2 scorer in Spurs history. He's one of the greatest of all time and he's probably a few weeks away from passing up one of the greatest centers to become the #1 Spurs leader in points. I would say well deserved, but I don't feel the need. What an achievement.

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 09:05 AM
0 posts and 186 views, you fucking creepers. :toast

wontstartdumbthreads
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM

It's too long!
Why would anyone read all of that with PM5K's poignant "Thawts" also avalable.
Feel free to bump yourself though whore.

MoSpur
11-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Its a bit long, but pretty good. Thanks for sharing

greyforest
11-04-2010, 09:28 AM
too long, didn't read, maek shorter next time pls

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
It's too long!
Why would anyone read all of that with PM5K's poignant "Thawts" also avalable.
Feel free to bump yourself though whore.

That's what she said.

Yeah, I hear ya'll. First time I've ever done that so I had a lot to say, but I'll shorten it up next time. Looks like I'm going to the Rockets game on Saturday, so that'll be fun.

You know whats good. Chobani yogurt. That shit has 13 grams of protein per serving.

Agreed. It's the best Greek yogurt on the market tbh.

romain.star
11-04-2010, 09:46 AM
it's not long but you should probably organize the text more clearly (with subtitles for each idea/player)

Sotongball21
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
thanks for the effort. Might want to make it neater next time though.

Tbiggums47
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Figured I would do this after some of the games and see what some of ya'll had to say about my thoughts and opinions of the Spurs. First thing I wanted to comment on was DeJuan Blair. I know a lot of people are calling to sit him on the bench and sometimes it might be easy to jump the gun on his poor play to start the season, but I think it's vital to his and our success that we keep him out there for a while. While he's sucked the first four games of the season, I've seen mild improvement in each game, nothing major, but in his latest game tonight I think it's safe to say it was his best. It's important because we know what he's capable of and we've got to build his confidence up and make him more comfortable out there. In the second half it looked to me that he was more comfortable with the ball, passing, and rebounding. No flinch-like movements.

Richard Jefferson's accent annoys the hell out of me. :lol Where is that guy from? The way he's playing it doesn't matter where he's from or how he talks though. The level of his play seems to improve every night. Tonight he was a cold blooded killer from the three point line and led the team in minutes and points. He had a few turnovers that weren't to my liking, but just about everyone on this team did. Like the first few games he was still highly efficient scoring the ball and even hit 6 of 6 from free throws where he's been slightly struggling. This might really be the best Richard Jefferson we've ever seen and it's almost safe to say that the Spurs no longer have the big 3, but the big 4.

A lot of us were worried about Tim Duncan who played decent against the Clippers, but has looked off since the season opener. A few turnovers to start the game tonight definitely didn't help his cause. But 3 blocks, 17 rebounds, and 25 points later it doesn't seem like we have much to worry about. He more than made up for his 6 turnovers and put on a classic Timmy performance.

Offensively Parker and Ginobili put on a pretty solid performance together. Most of Parker's scoring came early though and I'd like to see better play out of him in the second half. Don't want to see him falling asleep in the second half start becoming a habit of his. I think he's doing a good job at distributing the ball though, as is Ginobili. You'll see the occasional sloppy pass from him, but then he'll find a way to make up for it. One of the few players on the Spurs tonight to hit from outside, but he also found other ways to score. I'll take 18 points and 5 assists from him.

Size was a big bonus for us in this game. I haven't been able to say that as a Spurs fan in a while. Dice is continuing to rebound the ball well this year. My only issue with him is that he seems a bit hesitant sometimes. McDyess got some easy baskets under the rim tonight and Splitter in just 15 minutes is already starting to make a name for himself. He's not in shape yet and that'll take some time to get back into basketball shape. With that being said, to see a supposed out of shape guy in his second game ever in the NBA go and play defense like that, it's what I like to see. His offensive potential might even be higher than some people are giving him credit for. I don't see anyone calling him Oberto 2.0 after he made Warrick look like a joke in the paint. He's got some moves in the post that I can't wait to see.

The defense made some stops in key moments of this game which is the real reason we won. I'm going to go ahead and say one of the better defenders out there on the court for us was James Anderson. He had another block and a steal. We expect solid offense from Splitter and solid scoring from Anderson. But just like I said Splitter's offensive potential might be higher than you think, I can say the same thing for Anderson on the other end. Offensively we got what we needed out of him, hit a three, nice steal transition into a dunk, and his ability to pass the ball were key in this game. Gary Neal didn't hit from the outside and he didn't get very many minutes. But I'm okay with it, he hit a jumpshot for us and shot confidently the two threes he missed. Still looked decent out there, his size at SG isn't what we needed for the Suns though tonight.

Who I'm a little disappointed we didn't use tonight, was Bobby Simmons. He's been playing rough hard nosed defense at the power forward position to start the season and I thought he'd make the perfect small ball PF to go against the Suns. Both teams have a knack for playing small ball when they can, so I just figured going into the game that he'd get some minutes. Something tells me that if he can start shooting the ball better, he'll be able to find a niche on the team, even if it's small minutes at power forward.

Speaking of disappointing, Temple's been nothing but that at the offensive end all season and during the preseason. Tonight he was also lacking on the defensive side and he probably had the worst game of everybody on the Spurs. If we don't see more out of him soon I don't see him getting too many minutes with George Hill healthy and Gary Neal able to run point.

The last thing and most important I want to point out is about the turnovers. Last year if we went out there and turned the ball over 23 times I can just about guarantee we would've let that kill us. And while we gave up the 11 point lead in the 3rd, were down by 3 in the 4th, and my brain just naturally told me that the modern Spurs would find a way to lose the game, we did just the opposite; we found a way to win. Sean Elliott said it best, " Even with the turnovers they still found a way to win and that's what great teams do." Couldn't have said it any better. It tells me that the difference between this year and last year's squad is night and day. Even though shots weren't falling and we were turning the ball over all the time in the first half, we willed ourselves to win this game. Tonight, Jefferson was the one who stepped up and I don't think there's any doubt that he was the player of the game.

Edit: I don't know how I forgot to give a shout out to Timmy for passing George Gervin and becoming the #2 scorer in Spurs history. He's one of the greatest of all time and he's probably a few weeks away from passing up one of the greatest centers to become the #1 Spurs leader in points. I would say well deserved, but I don't feel the need. What an achievement.
Youre reading too much into the teams development..They are better that than last years team and can only get better.This team should actually be 4-0...they lost to The Hornets (which) I believe is an aborration.....At this point..Tiago is the key to this teams success....They tougher their interior defense becomes..They more they look like DA SPURS of the past.They seem to be resilient..They remind me of the team with Malik rose when Pop took over for Bob Hill. The scrap and they are tough..The only exception is that this team has MUCH MORE FIREPOWER.......I see a trophy coming!:lobt2:ANYONE WHO UNDERSTIMATES THIS TEAM.DOES IT TO THEIR OWN DETRIMENT...

cheguevara
11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
OMG this is too long. I feel like Im back in school.

Bender
11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
seemed like temple had trouble a few times bringing the ball up under pressure... reminded me of someone...

Leetonidas
11-04-2010, 10:15 AM
It's cool that other people want to do game thoughts, but when there's numerous posters besides timvp doing it, it gets kinda pointless.

spursrocksocks
11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
tl;dr

Bender
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
most spurstalkers have ADD...

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM

:lol

Dex
11-04-2010, 12:25 PM

That's why things need to be broken up into succinct, structured paragr.....

Oh, look, a bird! :duck

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
So from the sounds of it, most of you want it to be shorter and better structured? I'll keep that in mind.

wontstartdumbthreads
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM
So from the sounds of it, most of you want it to be shorter and better structured? I'll keep that in mind.

LOL. Maybe everyone was a little too polite.

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
LOL. Maybe everyone was a little too polite.

You fuck on me?

XxT3IVEmiFM

maddnezz
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Edit: I don't know how I forgot to give a shout out to Timmy for passing George Gervin and becoming the #2 scorer in Spurs history. He's one of the greatest of all time and he's probably a few weeks away from passing up one of the greatest centers to become the #1 Spurs leader in points. I would say well deserved, but I don't feel the need. What an achievement.It wasnt too long, this is the text generation. Some people cant even have a 20 min conversation with an elderly person and that's sad to see. So self absorbed. I wonder how many people under 35 actualy read the newspaper? Great read.:toast

wontstartdumbthreads
11-04-2010, 01:31 PM
You fuck on me?

XxT3IVEmiFM

LOL. That was funny.

wontstartdumbthreads
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
It wasnt too long, this is the text generation. Some people cant even have a 20 min conversation with an elderly person and that's sad to see. So self absorbed. I wonder how many people under 35 actualy read the newspaper? Great read.:toast

It wasn't too long if that was going to be the only game writeup. It was actually one of the better ones. Unfortunately, there were about 10 other game summaries before this one.
Have you had a chance to check out Thawts?

maddnezz
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
It wasn't too long if that was going to be the only game writeup. It was actually one of the better ones. Unfortunately, there were about 10 other game summaries before this one.
Have you had a chance to check out Thawts? :toast

EmantheSpursFan
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Good read, i remember when we drafted anderson the waters here on spurstalk were lukewarm (mainly due to his defense). I'm glad he's getting an identity with the team and accepting the challenge to commit to defense. Tiago, now looking at the boxscore you might think his play is not on the level of "golden god" but looking at him on the court i can see why hes a former MVP. Everybody on the court seems to play better when he's out there, its refreshing to have young legs out there protecting the paint. I can only hope Blair comes out of this slump and can step it up another notch if him and Tiago can pair up and perform against teams like lakers, celtics this is going to be a very special year!

:toast

:lobt:

PM5K
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
It's cool that other people want to do game thoughts, but when there's numerous posters besides timvp doing it, it gets kinda pointless.

The idea behind my game thawts was to do something that wasn't so serious, and a bit more humorous. I might talk about other newsworthy things not related to the Spurs. I might talk about off-court Spurs activities, etc. That basically makes it different compared to TiMVP's thoughts, if it was the same I wouldn't have done it because he's got that on lock down.

Now I personally thought it was a good idea, you could argue that the execution wasn't great, but either way I liked the idea which is why I did it.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

186 people clicked on it, went "ugh" and exited out.

UnWantedTheory
11-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Wasnt too long for me. Lazy tirds. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah....there are a couple others...blah, blah, blah. Decent read. Good job.

silverblackfan
11-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Enjoyed the read. Pretty much matched my thoughts on the team also. Seemed a stream of thoughts or Game Thoughts.

barbacoataco
11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Agree with most of your points. Based on what I saw of the game, the Spurs are looking better than last year. Anderson has been effective for a rookie. The Spurs defense is going to have problems with some matchups, but they will have to rely on the "system" since they don't have a shutdown perimeter defender.

admiralsnackbar
11-04-2010, 10:21 PM
It wasnt too long, this is the text generation. Some people cant even have a 20 min conversation with an elderly person and that's sad to see. So self absorbed. I wonder how many people under 35 actualy read the newspaper? Great read.:toast

Cosigned.

Cessation
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
186 people clicked on it, went "ugh" and exited out.

Thats so true, lol :downspin: it took me two days to overcome the potential dread of being bored, but after i did it, it wasnt so bad. You should remove the 'pointless' from the title, since reading a pointless essay is hardly somethign to look forward too.

Hemotivo
11-04-2010, 11:12 PM
:reading

SequSpur
11-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Ryan?

LoneStarState'sPride
11-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I thought your analysis was well-considered and---

SQUIRREL!

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww37/eddietheaggie2010/squirrel.jpg

will_spurs
11-05-2010, 01:24 AM

Focus on making it structured, it will make it feel shorter, and you will kill 2 birds with one stone. Add headlines (or small catchphrases or exceprts) before each paragraph and you're good to go.

8FOR!3
11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Ryan?

8FOR!3's not actually my real name ;)

Focus on making it structured, it will make it feel shorter, and you will kill 2 birds with one stone. Add headlines (or small catchphrases or exceprts) before each paragraph and you're good to go.

Okay, gotcha.