PDA

View Full Version : dahntay jones anyone?

koriwhat
11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
ok so i was reading realgm just now and they have an article up about the pacers wanting to rid themselves of dj. granted i love the spurs roster at the moment and i haven't seen dj in yrs but i fondly remember the guy as a defensive-minded player back when he was with the nuggs.

i'm not saying the spurs should trade for him at this point but for entertainment value here at ST, what do yall think about dj if he came to the spurs? would he help defensively? would he be a liability? would it be pointless to snatch him up if the price is right?

can anyone help me out and let me in on whether his game has changed from his days in denver?

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69923/20101104/pacers_trying_to_trade_dahntay_jones/

ohmwrecker
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I like him, but I think he is a little too small to be the legit backup sf defender that the Spurs need. I only see Gee and Simmons as expendable right now. I wouldn't mind giving Jones a look. He is probably a better defensive option than Anderson at this point, but I like Anderson's all around potential better. I don't want Jefferson playing small ball 4, and that's really the only thing Simmons is bringing to the table right now.

I would dump Gee and pickup Jones, but only if it didn't cost the Spurs anything of real value.

koriwhat
11-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I would dump Gee and pickup Jones, but only if it didn't cost the Spurs anything of real value.

i'm totally with you on that. my line of thinking right now is that our group of guys are only going to get better as the season proceeds and they are pretty damn good right now as it is. i really don't see any other scenario that would work for the spurs other than gee or simmons to the pacers for dj without hurting us in the end (i have no idea about salaries matching... sorry i haven't done my homework yet).

if i'm the FO for the spurs i wouldn't want to get rid of anyone other than those 2 for now. although, maybe just simmons considering gee tears that shit up on that 2k11. haha!

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
no.

temujin
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately, basketball is actually played with a ball.
A round ball.

Mal
11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Take Hibbert from Pacers

koriwhat
11-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Take Hibbert from Pacers

that'd be nice but it ain't happening

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Nah, I'm not up for it. It's not that I don't like him as a player, but he just wouldn't fit in our rotation right now. I doubt he wants to pick up Gee's trash minutes. Unless the Pacers want to hand us over Darren Collison, TJ Ford, Danny Granger, or Roy Hibbert, I'm really not interested.

Spurs Brazil
11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
terrible contract

Leonard Curse
11-04-2010, 03:39 PM
terrible contract

yeah just saw that, they might be trying to get rid of good players so they can try and land a star to keep their baby happy. most NbA superstars are pathetic nowadays :rolleyes

11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
jones' contract isn't that bad. 3 more years at under $3 million per year. he's a situational player but so is bonner who gets paid more. adding a tough defensive minded wing is definitely a plus. if all the spurs have to do is absorb jones' contract, then it is well worth it.

11-04-2010, 05:11 PM
i think jones also guarded chris paul in the playoffs. i don't recall how much he guarded paul but we all know how badly that series turned out for CP3.

UnWantedTheory
11-04-2010, 05:14 PM
For peanuts? Sure.

TD 21
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Jones makes no sense for the Spurs. He's 30, reliant on athleticism, a sub par three point shooter (and that's being generous) and has two years left on his contract at decent money.

Most likely, there won't be any additions to this team in the next few seasons where they take on even semi-substantial money and especially not for a non-difference maker like Jones. Maybe for a young three like Chandler, Brewer, someone of that ilk, but that's about it.

The core of this team is set. They've committed to nine guys (ten, if Neal proves to be legit) and I expect the rest of the roster to be filled in with draft picks and low cost pick-ups, whether it be via free agency, the D-League or Europe. Expect said low cost pick-ups to be young and with at least a modicum of athleticism.