PDA

View Full Version : The 12th and 13th roster spots.

Bruno
11-04-2010, 02:38 PM
There have been a lot of positives this year with RJ finally playing well or with Neal, Anderson and Splitter showing promises. However, Spurs have failed to fill the end of the roster with interesting players.

In addition to their 11 players with a guaranteed contract, Spurs have 3 players on a partially or non-guaranteed contract:
- Garrett Temple: Pop called him his new favorite player this summer but he has been bad since the start of the training camp. You can wonder if last year wasn't a fluke and if he isn't simply a player without enough offensive skills to make it in the NBA.
- Alonzo Gee: He is in the doghouse and the only reason why Spurs keep him is because it's free for the moment.
- Bobby Simmons: He plays hard and that's all. He is in a huge shooting slump and he can't really play SF anymore.

In one week, Spurs Temple and Gee will start to cost money to Spurs. Bonner should be back and Splitter will be in better shape which will make Simmons even more useless.

I'm not far to be for Spurs waiving all three newt week. The sooner Spurs will try some new players, the better chance they have to find a diamond in the rough. Before waiving them, Spurs could try to trade Gee+Temple for a disgruntled player somewhere else but it likely won't work. Spurs could re-sign Jerrells who show good things in training camp in a couple of weeks. They could also go with Solid D's Patrick Berverly. For the 13th spot, they could try some athletic SF/PF like Stanley Robinson. Bottom line is, that I think Spurs are in a dead end with Gee, Temple and Simmons and must look at alternatives.

What would you do with Spurs last couple of roster spots?

TinTin
11-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Go after a perimeter player who can defend and shoot the 3

I realize this is a very general statement but I don't know much about the players listed above and I doubt we are going to find a player like that for cheap

20beastie45
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
as of right now I personally don't see us trying to get rid of any of those three....but in the future...maybe a future pick or draft rights...for a euro player...I don't know...Now you got me thinking about those last three roster spots...I want Jerrells back as the third back up PG (wilks)lol

hater
11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Temple is staying.

Without him we'd be one sprained ankle away from no backup PG.

Spurs Brazil
11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd cut Temple and Gee

CJ is a better option than Temple and I 'don't know why Gee didn't worked well because he played well with the Toros last season and in summer league.

I really never liked Temple. I think last season was a fluke

Whisky Dog
11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't see Pop cutting Temple loose yet, he likes his size at the point and has him defending points like he did against Nash and Dragic.

I know trading Dragic for Hairston gave us the pick to eventually get Blair, but Dragic would have been an interesting backup point for this team. Maybe he just fits the Suns system better but his passing and poise around the paint have been outstanding the few games I've watched him. Is he just doing this against the Spurs or is he fairly consistent? I can't believe that Suns team is 1-3, I know they've played some tough games but they look pretty decent.

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Gee will probably definitely be on the way out. As for Temple and Simmons, I could see pop holding onto those 2 for now.

20beastie45
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
If anything Gee is going to be the first to go...IMO

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Dragic would have been the same thing as Beno here. Not enough defense and plays the game way too soft for Pop. He is a good player but fits perfectly in that Phoenix offense, much like Beno with Sacramento.

rogcl1
11-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I mostly agree. None of these players are game changers so the idea of using those roster spots to find a hidden jewel is a good plan as far as I am concerned. I suspect that Temple and Gee may get cut and end up on the Toros when their contracts have to be guarenteed.I see no use for Temple as he has played this year. If you saw at the end of the game he was open on the inbounds and Jefferson would not inbound it to him and called timeout instead. Temple was talking to him as they came off the floor.Jefferson did not appear to trust him to give him the ball in that situation. His waay off 3 point attempt was also not too impressive.
In the preseason I felt like Simmons was consuming perfectly good oxygen ,but i doubt Pop parts with him ,perhaps hoping for some rebirth as the season goes on.
Who knows about Gee, the coaches are the only ones who have seen him play.So yes , I say get these guys on the Toros if possible and run some guys through here. If we have to rely on these roster spots for help then heaven help us anyway.

rogcl1
11-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Temple is staying.

You are probably right for that reason. Of couse , Manu could play that role if available but Temple and Simmons probably will stay unless something more attractive presents itself.

galvatron3000
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Personally, for me the most pressing position to fill is the Center/Pf spot. I mean this in terms of size. Blair, McDyess and Bonner are all capable Power forwards, Bonner should strictly be situational, but when Tiago was injured and Bonner at the same time you are stuck with one Big and that's Tim. Blair is undersized and Dyess doesn't need to play big minute this early in the season. Spurs need to try and get some size. Anderson is capable of spelling Jefferson at the Sf and although I'd love to get a legitimate backup Sf unless the SPurs can trade some of those wings and bring in something awesome, they need to address the big man need to spell minutes

20beastie45
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I was trying to find some veterans that are still working out for some teams....but couldn't find a list...a little help? Any way, I was going to share a link with some reliable vets that we can stash on the end of the bench if were going to stick with the current rotations...play the young guy...but just in case put in the savy vet...

but I couldn't find a list....FAIL!

Bruno
11-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Temple is staying.

If Temple is waived, another PG would likely be signed.

I was trying to find some veterans that are still working out for some teams....but couldn't find a list...a little help?

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Obstructed_View
11-04-2010, 03:20 PM
As of this moment, the Spurs don't have a backup point guard. I'm not sure they have had one in quite a while. I say bring CJ back unless someone else is available. Neal and Anderson are far better defenders than I'd ever have guessed, and CJ's lack of size therefore isn't as big a problem. I'd keep Temple until the last possible instant in the hopes that a light goes on, but Gee needs to go to Austin or go away. Simmons needs to do something positive in the next couple of games or he's just a waste of a seat behind the bench.

SenorSpur
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
There have been a lot of positives this year with RJ finally playing well or with Neal, Anderson and Splitter showing promises. However, Spurs have failed to fill the end of the roster with interesting players.

In addition to their 11 players with a guaranteed contract, Spurs have 3 players on a partially or non-guaranteed contract:
- Garrett Temple: Pop called him his new favorite player this summer but he has been bad since the start of the training camp. You can wonder if last year wasn't a fluke and if he isn't simply a player without enough offensive skills to make it in the NBA.
- Alonzo Gee: He is in the doghouse and the only reason why Spurs keep him is because it's free for the moment.
- Bobby Simmons: He plays hard and that's all. He is in a huge shooting slump and he can't really play SF anymore.

In one week, Spurs Temple and Gee will start to cost money to Spurs. Bonner should be back and Splitter will be in better shape which will make Simmons even more useless.

I'm not far to be for Spurs waiving all three newt week. The sooner Spurs will try some new players, the better chance they have to find a diamond in the rough. Before waiving them, Spurs could try to trade Gee+Temple for a disgruntled player somewhere else but it likely won't work. Spurs could re-sign Jerrells who show good things in training camp in a couple of weeks. They could also go with Solid D's Patrick Berverly. For the 13th spot, they could try some athletic SF/PF like Stanley Robinson. Bottom line is, that I think Spurs are in a dead end with Gee, Temple and Simmons and must look at alternatives.

What would you do with Spurs last couple of roster spots?

Personally, I think the only player who could get waived is Simmons.

Temple - he stays. His value and position versatility is proven.
Gee - I think the Spurs are still high on him. He probably needs another year. Therefore, I see him getting moved down to D-League.

That said, I'd love to see the Spurs in the mix for that most coveted of player - the long, athletic, small forward. I know a trade for Wilson Chandler is highly unlikely, but he'd be the preferred target. A long-term solution and potential lockdown defender.

20beastie45
11-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks Bruno

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I like the way we stand at the moment

20beastie45
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Trade for Wilson chandler? who are you willing to give up? RJ is playing great and Anderson/Neal look like great options off the bench so far. Let this team develop some kind of chemistry first. No way I would be willing to get rid of any piece we have besides Bonner and that just isn't going to happen.
I thought it was said that we were going to give a future pick to New York for Chandler because Denver wanted a pick to go along with player for Melo...I think I heard that.

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Chandler would actually be a suitable option, caught me before the delete. I was thinking of someone else. Plus,Chandlers contract is easily movable.

hater
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
If Temple is waived, another PG would likely be signed.

right, but Temple knows the system and is a decent handler and defender. As of right now, finding a better replacement is unlikely.

IMO Temple is staying at least till midseason

SenorSpur
11-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I think Pop probably likes Temple more than we know. I don't see him going anywhere.

Ditty
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Personally, I think the only player who could get waived is Simmons.

Temple - he stays. His value and position versatility is proven.
Gee - I think the Spurs are still high on him. He probably needs another year. Therefore, I see him getting moved down to D-League.

That said, I'd love to see the Spurs in the mix for that most coveted of player - the long, athletic, small forward. I know a trade for Wilson Chandler is highly unlikely, but he'd be the preferred target. A long-term solution and potential lockdown defender.

I could see simmons the first one getting waived actually myself ,he really brings nothing.

Temple good point. I think he will come around still hoping he's still kinda of a slump cuz of his injury, so I'm guessing we keep him a while until we send him up to austin too get better.

Gee-I see a break out player of this kid but I think he needs another year or two to work on that jump shot if he can get that down he will be really good, but I say send him to Austin also.

I doubt New York wants to give up chandler at this point, guy is having a great season. I would stll love the spurs to go after him next summer in free agency (if there is one) with that MLE.

Still hoping spurs could bring in stanley robinson or de'sean butler to bring something to that 3 spot.

elemento
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
What you guys think about Magnum Rolle? Is he a good prospect?

I know we're set for this season in terms on BIGS, but maybe for the next season.

Leonard Curse
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
release temple?? hell no did you see him play in the fourth quarter and play solid D!!? no way were dropping that kid hes a great backup as for picking up jerrells that would be awesome but his Defense isnt anywhere near Temples.

i'd much rather have a defensive player at this point. i say we send Gee to D pick up a defensive Center or PF thats what we really need, Benga would have been great for this team. the man blocks shots all day and plays great interior D.

rogcl1
11-04-2010, 04:10 PM

I know we're set for this season in terms on BIGS, but maybe for the next season.

actually, I don't think we are set in terms of bigs. I tend to side with Galvatron from a few posts back. If Tiago or McD or Duncan go down ,we are relying on Blair and Bonner for heavy duty interior minutes. Disaster.
If we somehow did find this magical long 3 whose minutes at this time would consumed? It would be Jefferson and Anderson and that would not make good sense at this time.
What makes any perimeter defender better is good interior help defenders behind them. ( two of them , not small ball)You know , like how the Spurs won their championships. And it doesn't have to be an allstar either.
To me it would be ideal to use two of these spots to try to find and develop a legitimate center and that magical long three. What is there to lose with those spots.

Austin_Toros
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Gee should probably be the first to go.
Can someone offer an insight into Simmons' defense? Any good?

rogcl1
11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Gee should probably be the first to go.
Can someone offer an insight into Simmons' defense? Any good?

NO, he can not guard small forwards at this point in his career so that means he primarily serves as a small ball four and does better there. In my view, if we are playing small ball at all except maybe for very short periods of time, we are screwed.

Brazil
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Spurs will release Temple and give the 12th to Vaughn !

jag
11-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Dragic would have been the same thing as Beno here. Not enough defense and plays the game way too soft for Pop. He is a good player but fits perfectly in that Phoenix offense, much like Beno with Sacramento.

I get that they are both white 6'3"/6'4" PGs, and while they may have similar offensive skills they are very different defensive players. I'm not sure why you compare Dragic to Udrih on the defensive end.

I'll just assume you werent paying attention when Dragic was guarding Parker and Hill last season.

BronxCowboy
11-04-2010, 04:41 PM
If the biggest question for this roster is how to fill the 12-14 spots, I'm pretty damn pleased.

objective
11-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Dragic > George Hill

Anyways, I don't think Dragic would have worked out in San Antonio either. Not because of his defense because he's always been solid there (his draftnight footage was a lot of defense).

But because of how Pop treated rookies and young players prior to this year. The leash guys like Hill had would have been just as short or shorter as Pop would have played Vaughn or Mason or done whatever. Even a youngster like Hairston was ignored so Bogans could Bogan his way into the rotation.

Dragic would have had it even worse under Pop, because he had a rough rookie year in PHX and had plenty of people doubting his ability to stay in the league. I remember one story in particular about how Dragic just wasn't 'getting it' and during timeouts he would ignore the coaches in the huddle and spent his time watching the arena festivities and on-screen crowdpleasers. He wasn't in the game or anything but still, as a rookie trying to learn the game his disinterest in huddles was something that irked people.

He eventually worked his way out of his 'stranger-in-a-strange-land' funk but I doubt that would have happened under the old Pop.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Eh, I'm not really against waiving Gee, Temple or Simmons; I'm just not convinced anyone else is all that much better to take their places. I can wait for some D-League games to be played before I start lobbying for anyone else.

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
He's definitely a better defender than Beno but he was very weak physically and mentally when entering the league which makes me think he wouldn't have worked out on a veteran spurs team with a veteran coach pop. Much like Beno. He's got skills no doubt but he wouldn't have near enough freedom here as he has with Gentry in Phoenix and I don't see that type of player fitting in this system, just like Beno.

Leonard Curse
11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
do you guys know what happened to hairston? i know he went to europe and got hurt buut i wonder if hes been doing some work, when we dropped him was he sucking? ya know sometimes pop drops players just for the hell of it , i cant remember for some reason (probably not a good thing)

Bruno
11-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I see that I've had a way more pessimistic opinion on Temple than most of you. I find him horrible on the offensive end. His defense is good but nowhere near good enough to offset that lack of offensive skills. I'm not even sure that he deserves more time With Spurs or with the Toros to prove that he is worth a roster spot.

Bruno
11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
FYI, Hairston came back a couple of weeks ago from his back injury and one week after that, he had a surgery for a hernia. He is out for few weeks.

AussieFanKurt
11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I watched Temple play yesterday for the first time. Wasn't impressed at all

jjktkk
11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
The good thing is the having all 3 right now is not hurting the Spurs, financial-wise, or on the court. That said, the only 1 I see, getting waived, cut, traded, would be Gee. IMO Pop values Simmon's expierence, and the abillity to play a small ball 4. I also believe Pop likes Temple's defense.

jjktkk
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Dragic > George Hill

Anyways, I don't think Dragic would have worked out in San Antonio either. Not because of his defense because he's always been solid there (his draftnight footage was a lot of defense).

But because of how Pop treated rookies and young players prior to this year. The leash guys like Hill had would have been just as short or shorter as Pop would have played Vaughn or Mason or done whatever. Even a youngster like Hairston was ignored so Bogans could Bogan his way into the rotation.

Dragic would have had it even worse under Pop, because he had a rough rookie year in PHX and had plenty of people doubting his ability to stay in the league. I remember one story in particular about how Dragic just wasn't 'getting it' and during timeouts he would ignore the coaches in the huddle and spent his time watching the arena festivities and on-screen crowdpleasers. He wasn't in the game or anything but still, as a rookie trying to learn the game his disinterest in huddles was something that irked people.

He eventually worked his way out of his 'stranger-in-a-strange-land' funk but I doubt that would have happened under the old Pop.

Yea Pop just hates playing rookies. Just ask Splitter, Anderson, and Neal. I think that old arguement is done.

yavozerb
11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
FYI, Hairston came back a couple of weeks ago from his back injury and one week after that, he had a surgery for a hernia. He is out for few weeks.

I think he is on vacation over there...:lol

TD 21
11-04-2010, 06:21 PM

I don't know a lot about him, other than he's long, athletic and can supposedly play both forward spots. I know the Pacers are high on him and had they been successful in trading Jones or Jones, he'd have been on their roster.

Definitely intriguing enough to merit consideration, as are the aforementioned Beverley, Jerrells and Robinson.

But I'm with ChumpDumper on this one. I'm not sure any are markedly better than Simmons, Temple and Gee. It sounds great to have a long, athletic combo forward like Rolle or Robinson, but aside from length and athleticism, what would they really bring? Neither is a good enough perimeter shooter to play the 3D role, so like Gee, I can't see Pop being willing to play either.

Beverley is interesting. If he could shoot worth a lick, he'd be a surefire NBA player.

Jerrells is a better PG than Temple, but Temple is more versatile and when you're only carrying 13 (as the Spurs soon will be), it's best to have versatility.

This is a ways off, but a guy the Spurs should keep an eye on for the off season is Clark. The Suns declined his option for next season earlier this week, which will render him unrestricted by July 1st. Just over a year ago, he was a highly touted prospect, in the mold of an Odom. Long, athletic, versatile, inside-outside combo forward. The knocks on him were his work ethic and his attitude, but still, if the Spurs could get a prospect like this on the cheap, it would be a real coup. Even if he is a bust in the making (foolishly, the Suns haven't really given him a chance, because it was more important to take on the bloated contract of the rotting corpse known as Turkoglu), for the time being he'd essentially amount to a free lottery pick.

mountainballer
11-04-2010, 06:50 PM
the good play by Neal and Anderson has changed a lot of the needs IMO.
Spurs now look pretty deep from 1-3. (a bit undersized and they still lack a stopper, but they compensate with a lot of other qualities). maybe a veteran PG would make some sense. (which Temple isn't). btw. is Rafer Alston an absurd thought? I can also see more sense in signing Jerrells than keeping Temple.
Gee and Simmons both don't make any sense. Gee isn't better than the 5th option for either wing spot.
Simmons could play a role thoretically, but can't any more. Spurs should waive him and try another (similar) player and look if he can deliver a bit more.
what happened to James Singleton? (didn't he go to China?)
well, if Singleton was available, i wouldn't mind if the Spurs cut Simmons for him.

galvatron3000
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I'll say this, Simmons is an after thought. No need in keeping him, find a real big. Spurs really need a 3rd string center, and backup small forward and a "real" backup point guard but in the order of center, pg, sf IMO. Are these position available and can we acquire them by moving some players is the question and I say more than likely, no. Gee is perhaps on the team because he is young and athletic and can possible work in the offseason with the staff like RJ or the right deal hasn't manifested to move him, could be moved by deadline.

Gagnrath
11-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Honestly I like Temple he hasn't shown alot in 3 games but he's really handy to have around as the 3rd string PG, SG and SF, and good for subbing a game starting at any one of those 3 positions. He's merely competent offensively but he doesn't turn the ball over and tends to make decent decisions. What more do you want from the guy?

Spursfanfromafar
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Most likely that the Spurs will waive Gee but retain Temple and Simmons.. and possibly use them as trade bait as the Dec 15th deadline approaches. As of now, there is too little a chance of a trade. Rest of the waived players across the league look like chickenfeed and are of no necessary value. As of now, in my opinion.

Mark in Austin
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Eh, I'm not really against waiving Gee, Temple or Simmons; I'm just not convinced anyone else is all that much better to take their places. I can wait for some D-League games to be played before I start lobbying for anyone else.

I agree with CD. There isn't anybody on the Hoopshype list that I think has more to offer than what the Spurs have now, with the exception of McCants. But if there is one spot on the roster that is full, it's SG.

Darkwaters
11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Simmons waived and Chris Quinn (a 6'2 PG signed). Adds a definite wrinkle to this thread I'd say...

ChuckD
11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I find it hard to care about anyone after maybe player 9 or 10. If we need them to be anything more than a practice player or a garbage time eater, well, we have MUCH bigger concerns at that point.

TD 21
11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I care in case of injuries. But if even largely healthy, it's mostly irrelevant. There's 11 players on this team that Pop trusts and barring an acquisition of an established player in the league without surrendering one of those 11 (which would be difficult), it's unlikely that that number is going to increase this season.

ChuckD
11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I care in case of injuries. But if even largely healthy, it's mostly irrelevant. There's 11 players on this team that Pop trusts and barring an acquisition of an established player in the league without surrendering one of those 11 (which would be difficult), it's unlikely that that number is going to increase this season.

Unless you have multiple injuries at one position, you shouldn't need to go any deeper than 10/11.

angelbelow
11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Ive enjoyed CJ as player since the summer league. I think hes got a certain swagger and attitude to him that I like to see in a PG. He reminds me a little of Lowry in that sense. Would love to see him get another shot with us - esp. since he did out play Temple a bit. Although neither he nor temple are really PGs.