PDA

View Full Version : Kobe in Call of Duty: Black Ops commercial

nevetslc
11-04-2010, 06:45 PM
1jM3gSOHRdM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jM3gSOHRdM)

The Gemini Method
11-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Haha the butcher guy was merc'in with the dual pistols...

Koolaid_Man
11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
nice....

DPG21920
11-04-2010, 06:55 PM
That is a sweet commercial. I don't even play video games, but that game seems sick.

Cane
11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Cool commercial. Kobe with the noob tube lol.

Hooks
11-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Noob tubing and camping? What a bitch.

Koolaid_Man
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
just an observation...Tim Duncan would have likely gotten shot in that Commercial...

redzero
11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
That is a sweet commercial. I don't even play video games, but that game seems sick.

What, the cashier won't sell M-Rated games to you unless you bring an adult along?

Gutter92
11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
just an observation...Tim Duncan would have likely gotten shot in that Commercial...

:lmao

DPG21920
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
What, the cashier won't sell M-Rated games to you unless you bring an adult along?

That makes no sense, hipster.

Hooks
11-04-2010, 07:29 PM
:rollin I didn't watch the entire commercial the first time, just noticed the guy walking with the 2 pistols lmao

BanditHiro
to bad they can't have an npc of kobe bryant to kill over and over again

Juanobili

:lol

duhoh
11-04-2010, 10:23 PM

:lmao

but that's like 70-80% of CoD players :downspin:

eyeh8u
11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
look mom no PTSD

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Very nice commercial :tu.

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
kimmel was owning

Venti Quattro
11-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Kobeeeeeeee!!! :lol

IronMexican
11-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Nothing but neckbeards play this.

Darthkiller
11-05-2010, 01:08 AM
http://imgur.com/wCmGc.gif
from realgm

MiamiHeat
11-05-2010, 02:31 AM
wow that commercial was fucking awesome!!

but they should have added more teenagers....

anyone whos played MW2 knows how many fkin kids there are and mostly everyone is around 13-30 in age

MiamiHeat
11-05-2010, 02:32 AM
oh, and does kobe really play CoD or is this just image marketing?

monosylab1k
11-05-2010, 02:56 AM
oh, and does kobe really play CoD or is this just image marketing?

I'd bet my testicle he had never even heard of Call Of Duty before they made him an offer to be in the commercial.

nevetslc
11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Kobe rollin in the new Call of Duty Black ops edition Jeep.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/10/ap101026157277.jpg

AnthonyM
11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Bump.

So on 1st and 10 today, Skip and Bomani Jones were discussing Kobe in this commercial, basically saying they can't believe he'd do something this stupid, etc. They said that Stern needs to step in to discipline him and that this hurts his image. Skip even compared it to Eagle, CO.

Where did this uproar come from? I guess I understand why some people might be upset but, I guess I just don't agree that this is some image-shattering commercial on Kobe's part. Plus, no one gives a shit that Kimmel is in it.

Also, the commercial is bad ass, mostly in part because of The Rolling Stones.

Then, ESPN played the commercial right out of the break :lol

The Gemini Method
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Bump.

So on 1st and 10 today, Skip and Bomani Jones were discussing Kobe in this commercial, basically saying they can't believe he'd do something this stupid, etc. They said that Stern needs to step in to discipline him and that this hurts his image. Skip even compared it to Eagle, CO.

Where did this uproar come from? I guess I understand why some people might be upset but, I guess I just don't agree that this is some image-shattering commercial on Kobe's part. Plus, no one gives a shit that Kimmel is in it.

Also, the commercial is bad ass, mostly in part because of The Rolling Stones.

Then, ESPN played the commercial right out of the break :lol

What was their reasoning behind it being stupid for Kobe to do it? Promoting a game that glorifies violence in a spectrum that's been doing that for almost 30 years now? I mean, that's a pretty lame reasoning to be upset about his choice of sponsorship...

Dex
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I like the commercial, and don't understand the uproar. Like 1st and 10 said, I could understand if this was a commercial for GTA and Kobe were bustin' caps in hookers and what not. That would not be conducive to the NBA dropping its "thug" image.

However, the fact of the matter is war is violent. War games, in turn, are violent because they are simulating that experience. And I don't think the general person has been chastised for wanting to virtualize that experience (rather than go join the army), so I don't see why a basketball player should be. The very point of the commercial is that all walks of life have gamers among them.

The Gemini Method
11-17-2010, 12:06 PM
The misguided point they were trying to make...violent video games make gamers/casual gamers violent is misleading imo. Why not chastize those who advertise for cell phone companies because, well, you know...driving while using a cellphone is a leading cause of traffic accidents these days...or the fast food/beverage advertisements...Gatorade has a good amount of carbs and sugar...and so on. I think they're just making a bitch about things...'tis all.

AnthonyM
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
What was their reasoning behind it being stupid for Kobe to do it? Promoting a game that glorifies violence in a spectrum that's been doing that for almost 30 years now? I mean, that's a pretty lame reasoning to be upset about his choice of sponsorship...

Yeah, and the fact that we have soldiers overseas right now that are actually fighting. And he is holding an assault rifle in the commercial.

But, I really just disagree with most of it. We aren't talking about Kobe bringing guns to the arena like Gilbert did, or something a player actually did in their personal lives, such as possession of drugs or a DWI or something.

He was in a fictional commercial, with the point being that the game appeals to all people, not just male gamers between the ages of 13-25 or whatever.

AnthonyM
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=keown/101116

He was already disgusted, but about halfway through the spot, Walker did a double take: Wait! Wasn't that Kobe Bryant?

Seriously, is that really Kobe Bryant carrying an assault weapon with the word "MAMBA" on the barrel? Did Kobe Bryant, the highest-paid player in the NBA, take money not only to advertise a shooting game but actually shoot -- or simulate shooting -- an automatic weapon while doing it? None of his people, not his wife or his agent or someone in the NBA offices, advised him against this?

"I couldn't believe it was him," Walker says. "What's wrong with him?"

Walker gives funeral-home tours to every team he coaches. He tries to hammer home the reality of death by putting kids in cardboard cremation boxes. He shows them the tools he uses to drain bodily fluids and the chemicals he uses to prepare bodies. It probably wouldn't play in the suburbs, but Walker's trying to fight a culture that glamorizes death with tattoos, airbrushed T-shirts and roadside memorials. He's fighting a culture that has desensitized death to the point where fantasy has overtaken reality. In the process, the permanence of death -- "That person is gone," Walker tells the kids when he closes someone inside the box -- is often lost.

Those responses might be coping mechanisms or a natural defense against the reality of a situation that some deem hopeless, but Walker fights anyway. The glamorization troubles him. The lack of shock troubles him. He thinks people who don't value death are less likely to value life.

And then he sees Kobe shooting an assault weapon on TV, along with Jimmy Kimmel and those other "ordinary" people, including an overweight girl wearing glasses and a revenge-is-mine smile as she fires into a building. (She's apparently in the throes of a self-esteem bump, but it doesn't take much of a leap to see her as a geek settling things with a gun.) At the end of the spot, the tag line -- "There's a soldier in all of us" -- manages to diminish and trivialize the work of real soldiers while sending one of the most irresponsible messages in the history of advertising. (The ad campaign is everywhere, including on ESPN's family of networks and this website.)

"This is exactly what we're trying to fight," Walker says. "I'm looking at a 14-year-old boy right now who got shot in the head, and then I see Kobe get on TV looking like a damned fool, holding an assault weapon and wearing the same stuff the kids are wearing when they kill somebody. The look on his face -- all smiling and happy. This is the attitude we're trying to get away from. It's OK for him, though, because he's never had to worry about going home to the ghetto. That ain't his world."

duhoh
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=keown/101116

i would noobtube that author.

Venti Quattro
11-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Kobe's not for the kids. So anti-LeBron :cry :cry :cry

BlairForceDejuan
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I can see where the critics are coming from because that was my very first reaction when I saw this commercial, but then I remembered to quit being a prude and lol'd because the commercial is true.

Giuseppe
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I can see where the critics are coming from because that was my very first reaction when I saw this commercial, but then I remembered to quit being a prude and lol'd because the commercial is true.

Of course, you were rancid because it was Kobe Bryant, and an easy mark. But, then you figured they'd been doing yeoman business up in Dover, AFB for years, long before Bryant wanted his cut of the blood money.

2Cleva
11-17-2010, 01:15 PM
http://nsa20.casimages.com/img/2010/11/08/101108093053175662.gif

2Cleva
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
http://nsa20.casimages.com/img/2010/11/08/101108034655267423.gif