PDA

View Full Version : timvp's Game Thoughts: Spurs at Suns - Nov. 3

Stephen Kersey
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Game Thoughts: Spurs at Suns (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-game-thoughts/game-thoughts-spurs-at-suns/)

By LJ Ellis (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/author/ljellis/)
San Antonio Dispatch (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/)

The San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns usually put on an entertaining show. Wednesday night was no different. In a back-and-forth affair, the Spurs and Suns traded haymakers until the Spurs landed the knockout blow late in the fourth. A combination of long-range bombs from Richard Jefferson and timely defense down the stretch gave the Spurs a 112-110 victory.

In the fourth quarter, Jefferson hit three three-pointers in a row to give the Spurs a six-point lead. However, the Spurs went scoreless the next four minutes and the Suns were able to go on a 9-0 run. It was then San Antonio’s turn to make a run. Holding Phoenix without a point for three minutes, the Spurs went on a 8-0 run to take a five-point lead with 18 seconds remaining, which was enough to ice the victory.

Overall, it wasn’t the most aesthetically pleasing game the Spurs will play this season. But considering the sweep administered by the Suns last season and the number of mismatches Phoenix can still force, it was undoubtedly a quality win for the Spurs.

Tim Duncan
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tim-duncan.jpg
33 mins (+10), 25 points, 17 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 6 turnovers
11-for-13 from the field, 3-for-3 at the line

If there is one person happiest to see Amare Stoudemire go east, that person is Tim Duncan. Last year in the playoffs, Duncan was tortured in pick-and-rolls featuring Steve Nash and Stoudemire. Since Stoudemire is a deadly shooter in addition to being a world class finisher, Duncan had to venture out on the perimeter defensively on nearly every possession. On Wednesday, Duncan was able to play closer to the basket on defense — and that made a huge difference. He was able to dominate the boards, protect the rim and save more of his energy for the offensive end. While Duncan is still turning the ball over too much — especially when double-teamed — the rest of his game was at a high level against the Suns. In the three Spurs wins this season, Duncan has hit 28-of-37 field goal attempts for an amazing 75.7%.

Manu Ginobili
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/manu-ginobili.jpg
33 mins (-1), 18 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 4 turnovers
6-for-12 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers, 5-for-8 at the line

Manu Ginobili had a game of spurts. In the second quarter, Ginobili caught fire and scored eight points in less than a minute and a half. His play during the middle of the second period allowed the Spurs to stay afloat despite sloppy play. However, in the second half, Ginobili had a string of questionable decisions and defensive breakdowns. By the end of the game, Ginobili was back to playing smart basketball. All in all, I’m happy with his play. The beauty of Ginobili’s game is his aggressiveness and creativity. Sometimes that will lead to mistakes … and that’s fine.

Tony Parker
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tony-parker.jpg
34 mins (+10), 11 points, 6 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 3 turnovers
4-for-11 from the field, 3-for-4 at the line

Defensively, despite battling foul trouble, Tony Parker did very good work against Steve Nash. He fought Nash for every inch and once again proved he’s one of the better Nash defenders in the league when motivated and locked in. On offense, things didn’t quite as smoothly for the French point guard. After registering four made field goals in the first nine and a half minutes of the game, Parker was held without a basket the rest of the way. Considering it was mostly Nash defending him, not to mention Phoenix’s lack of true bigmen, Parker going that long without a field goal is unacceptable. To his credit, he had five assists in the second half, including three impressive dimes to begin the final stanza.

Richard Jefferson
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/richard-jefferson.jpg
34 mins (+8), 28 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 4 turnovers
9-for-13 from the field, 4-for-5 on three-pointers, 6-for-6 at the line

The Richard Jefferson Redemption Tour continued with his best game yet. Jefferson’s four three-pointers in the fourth quarter allowed the Spurs to escape Phoenix with a win. Three of those three-pointers were in a span of 45 seconds, while the other one gave the Spurs the lead for good with 1:38 remaining. What’s impressing me most about Jefferson early in the season is his ability to produce with sporadic touches. He wasn’t getting the ball much in the first three quarters but was still able to explode for 18 points in the fourth quarter. Last season, Jefferson rarely produced late if he wasn’t involved early on. Through four games, Jefferson is leading the Spurs in scoring with an average of 20 points per game.

DeJuan Blair
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/dejuan-blair.jpg
19 mins (+9), 4 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 turnovers
2-for-6 from the field

It was yet another sub par game for DeJuan Blair. He was defended by Hedo Turkoglu for much of his minutes and still wasn’t able to take advantage. Blair struggled to score at the rim and made a number of poor reads with passes and shot attempts. On defense, Blair was asked to spend a lot of time out on the perimeter. The results weren’t pretty. He looked uncomfortable and gave up a number of open looks. The silver lining for Blair was he finished with his best rebounding night of the season. The first step in recovering from this slow start is getting back to dominating the glass.

Antonio McDyess
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/antonio-mcdyess.jpg
27 mins (-8), 9 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover
3-for-6 from the field, 3-for-4 at the line

Antonio McDyess is quietly playing very well. He’s consistently giving great effort on the boards in addition to hustling on both ends. Against the Suns, he had a couple of nice passes and his movement with and without the ball was impressive. While Jefferson is getting all the attention, McDyess’ second season has also resulted in marked improvements so far. If he can improve his shooting percentage, he’ll be in the discussion of best bench bigmen in the league.

James Anderson
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/james-anderson.jpg
23 mins (-8), 6 points, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover
2-for-5 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers, 1-for-2 at the line

I don’t want to jinx the kid but James Anderson seems to have a lot of Robert Horry in him. He’s not the quickest or the biggest but he’s consistently in the right spot making the right play. Maybe it’s beginner’s luck but Anderson’s basketball IQ looks to be off the charts for a rookie. In the fourth quarter against Suns, Anderson nailed a three-pointer and then assisted on two of Jefferson’s pivotal three-pointers. His ball-handling ability is better than advertised. In fact, Pop utilized Anderson as the point guard out of a timeout on one possession. Defensively, he’s looking better and better; he has a blocked shot in three straight games. Let’s hope Anderson keeps this up.

Tiago Splitter
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/tiago-splitter.jpg
15 mins (+0), 7 points, 3 rebounds
3-for-6 from the field, 1-for-3 at the line

Tiago Splitter illustrated a lot of good against the Suns. Most impressively, he drew three offensive fouls and his pick-and-roll defense thwarted a couple other Suns possessions. Splitter also battled on the offensive boards and showed that he’s far from a soft player. On offense, he had two or three impressive post moves, however the moves were against sub par defenders so a bigger sample size is needed before claiming Splitter as a legit post threat. Not grabbing a defensive rebound in 15 minutes is a bit of a concern, though overall it’s difficult to not be excited about Splitter’s potential to help the Spurs this season and beyond.

Garrett Temple
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/garrett-temple.jpg
14 mins (-12), 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 turnover
1-for-2 from the field, 0-for-2 at the line

Garrett Temple played like a steady-handed veteran for the Spurs last season. So far this year, Temple has been the complete opposite. He got rattled by Phoenix’s pressure defense and got roasted on the other end. To put it bluntly, Temple doesn’t look like an NBA player — and hasn’t since the start of preseason.

Gary Neal
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/gary-neal.jpg
7 mins (+2), 2 points, 1 steal
1-for-3 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers

While the Suns don’t have much size in the bigman department, their wings are huge. When Neal was on the court, the Suns took advantage of his lack of height. Pop adjusted by keeping Neal on the bench. It’s worth watching to see if other teams use similar tactics to neutralize Neal’s shooting prowess.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/gregg-popovich.jpg

Pop coached a smart game. Despite the score being tight throughout, he didn’t play the Big Three too many minutes. I liked how he utilized Anderson and Splitter, especially by giving the duo fourth quarter minutes to build their confidence. The upcoming dilemma for Pop will be the bigman rotation once Matt Bonner returns from injury and Splitter is in game shape. McDyess deserves a spot in the rotation and Blair needs a chance to break out of his slump. How he rotates those four plus Duncan will be interesting.

Offense
Even though the Spurs had 23 turnovers and missed ten free throws, they were still able to put 112 points on the board. How? They shot 54.5% from the floor, 42.9% (6-for-14) on three-pointers, grabbed 11 offensive rebounds and got to the line 32 times. Those numbers are very un-Spur-like. The last time the Spurs had at least 30 free throw attempts, less than 15 three-point attempts and double-digit offensive rebounds was in 2001. Interestingly, the Spurs have won 25 straight games when meeting that criteria dating back to 1992.

Defense
Though the Spurs gave up 110 points, their defense wasn’t too horrible. They held the Suns to 44.6% shooting from the field and only 20 assists on 41 field goals. The Suns scored as much as they did due to a fast pace in addition to hitting their threes (8-of-21) and free throws (20-of-23) at a high rate. Down the stretch, the Spurs put a few stops together to obtain the breathing room they needed to get the win.

Drive for 5
After losing at home against the New Orleans Hornets, I thought this two-game road trip would tell us a lot about these Spurs. And I think it did. While not in championship form yet, Duncan still has gas left in the tank, the young players are promising and the Spurs seemingly have the tools needed to at least fight for a top seed in the Western Conference. Next up is a date in the AT&T Center against a desperate and dangerous Houston Rockets squad.

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-game-thoughts/game-thoughts-spurs-at-suns/

DPG21920
11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Is this a Timvp alter ego?

NASpurs
11-04-2010, 07:12 PM
The silver lining for Blair was he finished with his best rebounding night of the season.

He had 11 against New Orleans.

silverblk mystix
11-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Nice read. Thanks.

This little road trip was a good start to the season and saturday against the rockets is a good opportunity to find out how well the spurs handle success.

DPG21920
11-04-2010, 07:13 PM
How long before the trolling starts on that site :lol

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
nice picture for pop lmao

Nathan89
11-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Since we have to go to that site to get the goods, we might as well get advertisement on the spurs forum now.:(

NZ Spurs
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Temple had a couple of nice possessions guarding Nash that were worth mentioning.

timvp
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Is this a Timvp alter ego?Nah, I asked him to post it cuz I wasn't at home.

He had 11 against New Orleans."Best" rebounding meant rebounds per minute. His played 38 minutes against N.O., IIRC.

Since we have to go to that site to get the goods, we might as well get advertisement on the spurs forum now.:(

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6207/emov.png

PM5K
11-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I guess TiMVP sent TiMVP a cease and desist letter. I think it's kind of lame to direct us elsewhere, if anything SAD readers should have to come over here.

Frenchise player
11-04-2010, 11:39 PM
The upcoming dilemma for Pop will be the bigman rotation once Matt Bonner returns from injury and Splitter is in game shape. McDyess deserves a spot in the rotation and Blair needs a chance to break out of his slump. How he rotates those four plus Duncan will be interesting.

Blair needs to get out of his slump quickly ot he will lose a lot of playing time, McDyess is the best big outside of Duncan right now and Splitter will continue to improve and get more minutes. Bonner has the ability of stretching the floor on offense and not much else but Pop likes him so he will get some minutes as well.

TDfan2007
11-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I guess TiMVP sent TiMVP a cease and desist letter. I think it's kind of lame to direct us elsewhere, if anything SAD readers should have to come over here.

Are you being serious? It's literally one click away...

It's about time this stuff got it's own form of press btw.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Why couldn't the whole artical be posted here? Just wondering, but it's not a big deal I guess.

Leetonidas
11-05-2010, 12:59 AM
He got a job working for a real press site and now he's only making you click one link to read his article that he's been posting for free on this free website the Ellis family pays for. Quit cryin'.

angelbelow
11-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Nice, good read.

ALVAREZ6
11-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Tim MF'in Duncan !!!!

timvp
11-05-2010, 02:28 AM
:rolleyes I asked him to post the article at both places. I guess I should have told him to copy and paste the entire article on ST so the emos don't slit their wrists the one time they have to click their mouse an extra time.

timvp
11-05-2010, 02:33 AM
First post edited. Whiners can rest easy.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Too late. It's ruined for me.

You changed, man.

timvp
11-05-2010, 02:47 AM

You changed, man.

:lol

:smchode:

Slomo
11-05-2010, 05:06 AM

You changed, man.

:lmao

benefactor
11-05-2010, 05:39 AM
What a strange game. There was absolutely no flow at all. It almost felt like a street ball game.

I have no idea who this RJ is. He is playing out of his mind right now. I never doubted his abilities basketball-wise...it's his mindset that I thought would never be able to change. He has gone from mental midgit RJ that shut down when he couldn't get it going early to instant offense RJ who can hit the opposition with haymakers when they least expect it. If he keeps this up a large plate of crow may be in my future.

mountainballer
11-05-2010, 05:55 AM
If he keeps this up a large plate of crow may be in my future.

not just in yours. this will be a Spurs Talk crow eating contest.

AFBlue
11-05-2010, 06:00 AM
First post edited. Whiners can rest easy.

I was honestly upset because your site has been blocked by ARCENT. Deployed dude just wants to read him some game thoughts!

Thanks for the edit.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 06:06 AM
What a strange game. There was absolutely no flow at all. It almost felt like a street ball game.

I have no idea who this RJ is. He is playing out of his mind right now. I never doubted his abilities basketball-wise...it's his mindset that I thought would never be able to change. He has gone from mental midgit RJ that shut down when he couldn't get it going early to instant offense RJ who can hit the opposition with haymakers when they least expect it. If he keeps this up a large plate of crow may be in my future.

Kudos to RJ, and if carries this all the way through I'll be right at the trough with ya benefactor.

I suspect now his breakup with his fiance last year right before the season started (obviously he was confused with his sexuality :lol) had a lot to do with his poor play too. (as you said, his mind just wasn't all there).

I just hope this "new RJ" doesn't leave all us fans at the altar when the games start to matter.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 08:33 AM
For the record I was only asking because that site was blocked for me. Sorry for having to ask that question, I didn't mean to sound like I was crying. Thank you for posting.

SplitterHook
11-05-2010, 09:22 AM
nice article. good read.

AussieFanKurt
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
thanks, good read

phxspurfan
11-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Even though I haven't watched a game this season (no cable or league pass), I'm liking these game thoughts. It looks like we have a lot of depth and different guys will be stepping up every night. Which is a lot like my Giants who just won the world series!

quentin_compson
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Watching RJ the first couple of games this season has some kind of surreal quality about it.
I mean, just about half a year ago, this guy would not shoot a three but take a step inside to shoot (brick more often than not) a long two. Suddenly, this same guy is playing aggressively and with confidence.
I was hoping for some marginal improvement by RJ this season, but if he plays like he has been playing so far (the mindset, never mind the stats, as nice as they are), he will be a valuable part of this team.

Solid D
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Offense
Even though the Spurs had 23 turnovers and missed ten free throws, they were still able to put 112 points on the board. How? They shot 54.5% from the floor, 42.9% (6-for-14) on three-pointers, grabbed 11 offensive rebounds and got to the line 32 times. Those numbers are very un-Spur-like. The last time the Spurs had at least 30 free throw attempts, less than 15 three-point attempts and double-digit offensive rebounds was in 2001. Interestingly, the Spurs have won 25 straight games when meeting that criteria dating back to 1992.

Is it okay for me to say I'm proud of you, LJ? That bolded part of the paragraph is an outstanding piece of stat-work...a man after my own heart.

Good recap.

Manufan909
11-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Is it okay for me to say I'm proud of you, LJ? That bolded part of the paragraph is an outstanding piece of stat-work...a man after my own heart.

Good recap.

Dude, how in the freak did he do that? Is there some stat site with a crazy specific search engine or something?

Timvp is just crazy period, he watched the last 5 years iirc of our new Brazilian's FIBA play before he posted part one of Stifler's profile. LJE is GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.:worthy:

ElNono
11-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Just a shame it seems to be incorrect, actually.

This is the search:
http://i51.tinypic.com/9bg6ki.png

And these are the results:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=lLG8c

Did I do something wrong?

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
It was one of those games that went back and forth with neither team dominating or taking a significant lead, but you don't worry because the Spurs seemed to have it under control . . . does that make sense?

timvp
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Did I do something wrong?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6608/spstreak.jpg

I screen capped it last night but it looks like it didn't pull the info right by looking at yours.

ElNono
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Weird. Basketball reference is a great site.
And thanks for the writeup!