Bruno
11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_james_anderson.jpg
Born: Mar 25, 1989
Height: 6-6 / 1.98
Weight: 215 lbs. / 97.5 kg.
College: Oklahoma State
Years Pro: R

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/james_anderson/career_stats.html)

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Stud.

Spurtacus
04-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Shame the early season injury derailed him. He was off to a solid start.

Chomag
04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
From what I have seen It looks like he has trouble with his weight. He had gained a allot of it in a pretty short time while injured, Hopefully he can find a program during the off-season that will help him keep that excess weight off.

elemento
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
He was playing well before he got injured.

Hopefully he has a full healthy year next season.

loveforthegame
04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Very big summer for him. I hope he can lose the weight and get back to where he was before the injury. He fit in with the team and understood what was needed of him. It would help if he could step up and the Spurs could focus on other positions to solidify.

ace3g
04-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Important summer for him. He could grab a starting wing position.

+1, Definitely should be competition with JA, Danny Green, and Butler (if healthy)

RJ shouldn't even be in the picture, especially when the coach is forced to not play you at all in the 2nd half on a elimination playoff game.

Also props to Green for coming in late in the game and hitting a 3, something RJ could probably never do coming right off the bench cold like that.

baseline bum
04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Important summer for him. He could grab a starting wing position.

Yeah, I'm hoping like hell there is a summer league and a training camp. I doubt there will be either though.

ChuckD
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping like hell there is a summer league and a training camp. I doubt there will be either though.

They've already canceled the LV summer league. Even if there is a work stoppage, there will be a training camp of some kind. It won't last a month, though. More like 10-14 days.

I'd love to see SA deal Hill and just transition his minutes to JA. He's a bigger player, better defender, and better shooter.

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 11:22 PM
From what I have seen It looks like he has trouble with his weight. He had gained a allot of it in a pretty short time while injured, Hopefully he can find a program during the off-season that will help him keep that excess weight off.

He didn't look that bad at all. You every had a stress fracture in your foot? I have, pain stuck around for quite awhile. Couldn't do any cardio that involved feet, which is everything unless I turned fucking into a sport. Despite my healthy dieting, weight was gained.

He was starting to look very healthy at the end of the season. Just wasn't going to get minutes do to all the time he missed and the other guards we had in the roster around him.

This summer will be good for him especially coming into training camp.

timtonymanu
04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm rooting for this guy to take the starting small forward spot eventually. He looked really good before he got hurt. Hopefully he can reach that level again.

blkroadrunners
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
He needs to work extremely hard this summer and get back into true game shape. Otherwise, he'll be deep on the Spurs bench or possibly even traded.

Buddy Holly
05-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Is he a two or three? Or a two that play the three but is really a 2? Or a three that can play the two but is really a three?

timtonymanu
05-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Is he a two or three? Or a two that play the three but is really a 2? Or a three that can play the two but is really a three?

a 2 that can play the 3.

Anonymous Cowherd
05-01-2011, 03:13 AM
I'd be intrigued to try developing him as a starter at the 2, and put Manu at 6th man.

SenorSpur
05-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Unless the Spurs are fortunate enough to have a better SF option fall into their laps on draft day (Tyler Honeycutt, Chris Singleton), Anderson should be in position to win next year's starting job. RJ should traded, at best, or banned to the bench, at worst.

yavozerb
05-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Needs to be our starting 2 next year. Guy is buckets!

Needs to play like a starting NBA 2 first..

SenorSpur
05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Imagine how much better the Spurs would be with Anderson at the 2-spot, and say Chris Singleton at the 3-spot. With those two new additions on the wings, and Splitter next to Duncan, that would represent a significant talent upgrade.

I know I'm dreaming, but that's what one does in the offseason.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Like a lot of other people are saying, he's going to have to push himself like hell over the Summer. He missed a lot of games this season.

sasffl
05-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Work hard, learn, get the position

ace3g
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Chris Mannix from SI is answering questions on Twitter; he responded to mine:

RT @ace3g Any Spurs related news? Draft, Free Agency, etc? ... They love James Anderson. Telling you, that kid can play.

Not much, but shows their faith in JA and his future with the team.

Bruno
06-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Chris Mannix from SI is answering questions on Twitter; he responded to mine:

RT @ace3g Any Spurs related news? Draft, Free Agency, etc? ... They love James Anderson. Telling you, that kid can play.

Not much, but shows their faith in JA and his future with the team.

Nice to hear. :tu

I remember Pop saying that he wasn't worried about JA coming back in the rotation after his foot injury. Even if it didn't happen and JA hasn't managed to come back, it showed that Pop liked him. It's understandable when you remember how good he was before his injury, he even looked better than Neal.

Let's just hope he will be able to fully recover from his foot injury.

benefactor
06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
I just hope he spends more minutes at SG this season. It's a much more natural fit for him on both sides of the ball.

JonNOKC
06-15-2011, 06:32 AM
The Spurs FO/coaches are definitely pretty high on JA - one coach compared him to a young Paul Pierce - if he continues to work hard he will be the real "steal" for the Spurs in terms of recent drafts - outside of a trade that moves either (TP, Hill, or RJ) JA will get most of his minutes at SF

Hooks
06-15-2011, 06:52 AM
James just needs to work on his defense and ball handling. He's got a shit load of potential, last year whenever he finally got healthy he showed that he was a pretty good defender. There were about 5-7 times last year where he'd get picked off on a screen and somehow he'd recover to block his man's shot right when they'd release it (they wouldn't take their time to shoot it either), that's a very athletic move. I remember he used to do it in college a lot as well, I can't really think of another player in the NBA that did it as consistently as he did.

dbestpro
06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Spurs have a logjam at the SG. Neal, Anderson, Ginobili, and Hill all play best at SG. For the sake of team chemistry, something has got to give.

pad300
06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Spurs have a logjam at the SG. Neal, Anderson, Ginobili, and Hill all play best at SG. For the sake of team chemistry, something has got to give.

I might actually dispute that... When Manu is at his best, he is dominating the ball and running the offense. In other words, playing point; it's why we sometimes see him and Tony having trouble playing together. But at that point, you need a scorer/defender at PG beside him...

yavozerb
06-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Ya, I really do not see a big problem either..JA can and well play the sf position in the NBA. If JA comes back strong this should actually cut back minutes of Manu more than anyone since he occasionaly had to slide over to the 3 spot. Manu needs to be played TD minutes in the coming season (<30 mpg) in my opinion to help keep him fresh and I think JA is just the player to spell him those minutes.

DesignatedT
06-15-2011, 11:05 AM
A logjam at the SG position isn't necessarily a bad thing given Manus health record.. especially after national play. Very unlikely Manu makes it through an entire season again for the remainder of his career.

benefactor
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
It's highly likely one of them will be traded. If I had to guess right now...I'd say Hill. He's got the most appeal and could bring back the best return. What I don't want to see is any more players that need shoes to reach 6'5 trying to play SF for this team.

ChuckD
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
It's highly likely one of them will be traded. If I had to guess right now...I'd say Hill. He's got the most appeal and could bring back the best return. What I don't want to see is any more players that need shoes to reach 6'5 trying to play SF for this team.

JA does NOT need shoes to hit 6'5". He's also got a solid enough build to defend the 3. That's where Pop was using him effectively until his stress fracture.

dbestpro
06-19-2011, 12:55 PM
6-5 SFs are a defensive liability in this league. Can't defend the post or stop 6-9 SFs from shooting over the top. Most SFs do not need to put the ball on the floor to be effective which eliminates the only defensive asset a player like Anderson would have at SF. Anderson is a pure SG. Trying to play him elsewhere is like trying to play Bonner at center or Mason at point.

benefactor
06-19-2011, 04:06 PM
JA does NOT need shoes to hit 6'5".
orly?

Height w/o shoes: 6' 4.75"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Anderson-5106/playerblog/

lmbebo
06-19-2011, 05:09 PM
I think JA is probably a better fit at SF because of his ball handling abilities. I think he's more of a defensive liability though at the SF position. If we had a twin towers thing going, it'd be less of an issue.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
6-5 SFs are a defensive liability in this league. Can't defend the post or stop 6-9 SFs from shooting over the top. Most SFs do not need to put the ball on the floor to be effective which eliminates the only defensive asset a player like Anderson would have at SF. Anderson is a pure SG. Trying to play him elsewhere is like trying to play Bonner at center or Mason at point.

Amen brother - I have no idea why so many people think he's a SF. He played SG at Ok St, his style of game is COMPLETELY SG and he's too short to play SF.

De'Sean Butler, given he recovers from his injury, might be a stretch at SF but his game is completely SG as well. There is absolutely no SF type play in his game at all.

Magic Johson was 6'9" but was a PG. So was Jalen Rose. Your height does not determine your position...

elemento
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Anderson is a SG and he should play SG.

lmbebo
06-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I think until his ball handling improves, he's not a SG in the nba.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I think until his ball handling improves, he's not a SG in the nba.

Hmmm...since when did SGs need to be adept ball handlers?

Let me run it down for you - PG handle the ball, penetrate and distribute. Good ones have a mid-range game as well as being able to finish at the rim (think TP or Monte Ellis). Great ones stretch the floor as a 3pt threat to accompany all the things good ones do (think Chris Paul or Deron Williams).

SGs typically are utilized in a catch and shoot fashion. They start along the baseline in the 1/2 court offense and run around 2-3 picks to a spot where they like the ball, catch and shoot. Good SGs can do this well (think Kyle Korver or Ray Allen). Great SGs can do that AND drive to the hole, post up smaller players and finish above the rim (think younger Ginobili or Brandon Roy).

Now, Anderson is the latter, not the former - no need to really be a ball handler.

lmbebo
06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd stick Korver more as a SF than SG.

Ray allen can and does handle the ball.

JA doesn't need to be a great ball handler. But he lost the ball way too often last year while dribbling. He has too much tallent to just be a pick and pop shooter.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-19-2011, 10:34 PM
@Imbebo, I guess we just differ in opinion. But, Korver, although being listed as a guard-forward, was used as primarily as a SG both at Utah and Chicago. He played SF sparingly in smaller lineups.

Ray Allen rarely brings the ball up the court and calls the offensive plays. In fact, he rarely drives to the hoop - he is the quintesential pick and pop shooter. You don't become the league leader in 3pt shots made and attempted by driving to the hole. And, if he can have as successful career as he's had being a shooter, why in the world would JA be "too good" of a player to just do that?

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-20-2011, 01:54 AM
until butler is ready to play JA playing backup sf is not a horrible idea. parker, manu, hill, and neal are gonna take all of the playing time at PG and SG. how is anderson gonna get the much need playing time and experience? this would only be till manu retires.

lmbebo
06-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Not saying they aren't pick and pop players, but they are capable of handling the ball (at least allen).

Differ in opinion, yes.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-20-2011, 05:38 PM
@Imbebo, copy all. Not a bad point....

@MrS&B, I think Anderson should start next year. Staring lineup of:

Parker
Anderson
#29 pick
Splitter
Duncan

Manu was better in his 6th man role than he is starting. Anderson would get playing time that way and would be great for defending Kobe, Affalo, Stevenson, Mayo, etc. Put him out there and let him play.

Four years from now, the Spurs will be better for it.

sinok
06-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Neither Duncan (too old and not mobile enough) or Splitter (Center skillset) are PF, even though Splitter might be able defend on modern PFs.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
The difference between a PF and C isn't mobility or speed - it's the type of game. PFs typically have both back to the basket and facing the basket skills (which Tim clearly has). Good PFs have a midrange game out to at least 15'. Great PFs are nimble enough to defend either the PF or C position due to length. Elite PFs can do all these things well as well as rebound and possess a SUPERB low post (back to the basket) game like TD, Karl Malone, Garnett, McHale, etc.

TD has always been a PF although he's used in Pop's system as a C at times.

Bruno
06-26-2011, 07:53 AM
In theory, Spurs have until November 1st to pick up Anderson's option for 2012-2013. However, with the risk of the NBA still being locked out at that moment, a lot of teams are picking first round pick options right now.

Anderson salary for 2012-2013 would be $1.53M. Picking the option seems to be a no-brainer for Spurs and I expect them to do it before the end of the month.

benefactor
06-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Agreed.

As far as the role players go, Anderson is the one I'm most exicited about this season. He came in last year as a rookie and looked very comfortable right off the bat before he got injured. I look for him to play an expanded role this year and I think he will be suprisingly productive...somewhere in the 12 to 14ppg area.

timtonymanu
06-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I can't wait to see Anderson play too.

He looked really good last year and he would have been a major role player had he never gotten hurt. I hope the Spurs start him at SG this year to give Manu some rest.

5in10
06-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Hes Really gonna surprise some haters next year.

Ditty
06-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I hope he starts this year, and Manu comes off the bench. As much as I love Neal, Anderson is way better, and athletic, and as good shooter.

5in10
06-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I hope he starts this year, and Manu comes off the bench. As much as I love Neal, Anderson is way better, and athletic, and as good shooter.

I agree although I have a pretty low sample size. From what I saw though he had the physical tools/bbiq to be a good defender. I love the idea of a Leonard/Anderson defensive duo for the perimeter.

5in10
06-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Just Wanted people to see GH3 #s on a per 36 minute basis compared to Anderson and Neals from last year.

GH3:-- 14.8pts 3.3 asst 3.2reb -- 0.4blks 1.1 stl 4.5fta

JA: 11.8pts 2.9 assts 2.3reb 0.8blks 0.4 stl 2.3fta

Neal: 16.7pts 4.2 assts 2.1reb 0.1blks 0.6 stl 2.2fta

I know there are some intangibles that were gonna miss from georgie, but production/stat wise, we shouldn't skip a beat.

DAF86
06-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I just hope he spends more minutes at SG this season. It's a much more natural fit for him on both sides of the ball.

SG and SF is the same thing in the Spurs system (and pretty much any system). On defense he will guard whoever Pop or the coaching stuff decide in each game and on offense he will be a spot up shooter, regardless of the position he's supossed to play.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
SG and SF is the same thing in the Spurs system (and pretty much any system). On defense he will guard whoever Pop or the coaching stuff decide in each game and on offense he will be a spot up shooter, regardless of the position he's supossed to play.

Can you further explain that? Because, SG and SF are COMPLETELY different positions - especially in the Spurs system. When was the last time anyone saw the Spurs bring the ball up the floor, call a play and RJ started running around, trying to rub his defender off of multiple picks, catch the ball at the 3pt line and quickly shoot w/ his defender flying at him trying to block the shot? That happens all the time for Manu and Neal...

The SG is part of the primary focus of the Spurs system and rarely needs the SF to do much more than pick up hustle buckets or hit an occassional 3. That's why RJ's production decreased when he got to San Antonio (go look at his ppg before he arrived).

DAF86
06-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Can you further explain that? Because, SG and SF are COMPLETELY different positions - especially in the Spurs system. When was the last time anyone saw the Spurs bring the ball up the floor, call a play and RJ started running around, trying to rub his defender off of multiple picks, catch the ball at the 3pt line and quickly shoot w/ his defender flying at him trying to block the shot? That happens all the time for Manu and Neal...

The SG is part of the primary focus of the Spurs system and rarely needs the SF to do much more than pick up hustle buckets or hit an occassional 3. That's why RJ's production decreased when he got to San Antonio (go look at his ppg before he arrived).

Neal and Manu do that 'cause they can, it has nothing to do with what position they're supossedly playing (which is the same bassically: the wings). I'll take your example to refute your point, when Manu and Neal are playing toghether there's one playing SG and the other SF right? Then why do both get the ball in their hands, play the pick an roll an all that? It's the player not the position that determines that kind of stuff.

I'm too lazy to look it up but Manu has said many times that SG an SF are the same thing in the Spurs system, an I think Mau would know a thing or two about that.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Whenever Neal and Manu play together, they were usually using Neal at PG and Manu stayed at the SG. I honestly can't remember a time w/ TP or Hill, Neal and Manu all in the game at the same time. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I can't remember it. If they did, I'm sure the offense play calling changed to utilize two SGs at the same time to get max benefit and took the defensive hit for not having a true SF.

I'll be honest, I've never heard Manu say that but if you're sure it happened, then perhaps it is so. I'm no NBA coach but I do coach basketball and know the differences between positions.

Regardless of all that, let me ask you a question - if the SG and SF position are so similar in the Spurs system (or any for that matter) as you have mentioned, then why is there a need to delineate a position at all? Why don't we all just call them "wings" as you mentioned and forget about all the classification? Why did Pop say we needed a backup SF behind RJ if, according to you and Manu, SGs and SFs are the same?

Here's are two articles that mention Pop's need for a SF... I (and you) could probably find more

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Popovich-seeks-small-forward-to-spell-697559.php

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Spurs-small-forward-search-starts-on-defense-734728.php

DAF86
06-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Whenever Neal and Manu play together, they were usually using Neal at PG and Manu stayed at the SG. I honestly can't remember a time w/ TP or Hill, Neal and Manu all in the game at the same time. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I can't remember it. If they did, I'm sure the offense play calling changed to utilize two SGs at the same time to get max benefit and took the defensive hit for not having a true SF.

I'll be honest, I've never heard Manu say that but if you're sure it happened, then perhaps it is so. I'm no NBA coach but I do coach basketball and know the differences between positions.

Regardless of all that, let me ask you a question - if the SG and SF position are so similar in the Spurs system (or any for that matter) as you have mentioned, then why is there a need to delineate a position at all? Why don't we all just call them "wings" as you mentioned and forget about all the classification? Why did Pop say we needed a backup SF behind RJ if, according to you and Manu, SGs and SFs are the same?

Here's are two articles that mention Pop's need for a SF... I (and you) could probably find more

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Popovich-seeks-small-forward-to-spell-697559.php

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Spurs-small-forward-search-starts-on-defense-734728.php

I remember a lot of times where TP, Neal and Manu played toghether I also remember a lot of times where TP, Hill and Manu played toghether or Hill, Neal and Manu for that matter. All players that get the ball in their hands and initiate the offese from time to time.

Manu said that, trust me. Maybe somebody else can post the link to that quote or at least back up the claim.

Pop talks about the need of a SF meaning the need for a long athletic wing with defensive abilities, imo.

And about the position thing, I don't know why it doesn't change to PG, wings and bigmen. To me it makes a lot more sense than guards, forwards and centers.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Pop talks about the need of a SF meaning the need for a long athletic wing with defensive abilities, imo.

And about the position thing, I don't know why it doesn't change to PG, wings and bigmen. To me it makes a lot more sense than guards, forwards and centers.

That's exactly my point. Pop states exactly what he feels a SF will do in his scheme - long, athletic defense. The Spurs are loaded at SG but none of them are long or athletic w/ astutue defensive abilities. Pop didn't say he was going to have one of his many SGs play the SF role - he mentioned a need for a SF specifically. That's because in his scheme (and many others for that matter), they are different.

The very fact that they traded away Hill (who played the SG role at times) for a bona fide SF indicates the difference.

Basketball at the grade school level defines positions as guards, wings and posts. It's much more specialized from high school on...

DAF86
06-26-2011, 08:53 PM
That's exactly my point. Pop states exactly what he feels a SF will do in his scheme - long, athletic defense. The Spurs are loaded at SG but none of them are long or athletic w/ astutue defensive abilities. Pop didn't say he was going to have one of his many SGs play the SF role - he mentioned a need for a SF specifically. That's because in his scheme (and many others for that matter), they are different.

The very fact that they traded away Hill (who played the SG role at times) for a bona fide SF indicates the difference.

It indicates that they wanted size and defense, nothing more. Players determine the schemes not the positions. If you have Nowitzki playing PF your schemes won't be the same as if you have Duncan playing PF.

The Spurs have Manu at SG and RJ at SF, that's why Manu gets the ball in his hands. If the Spurs had Sefolosha at SG and Durant at SF, Sefolosha wouldn't be the one with the ball in his hands just because he's the SG.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 08:59 PM
The Spurs have Manu at SG and RJ at SF, that's why Manu gets the ball in his hands. If the Spurs had Sefolosha at SG and Durant at SF, Sefolosha wouldn't be the one with the ball in his hands just because he's the SG.

Very true - but the team would play a different scheme. Do you remember who the SG was for Denver when Melo was their SF. Neither do I. It's because the offensive play calling was set for Melo to get the ball, in space, to do as he pleased with it. He could shoot from 3, drive, whatever he desired. He did it from the SF position - no one thought of him a the SG.

Whenever Manu was on the floor, he had the same rights that Melo had as the SF. But RJ was still the SF and was looked upon by Pop to play defense, hustle, get rebounds and hit 3s primarily. The offense in no way ran through RJ - but that doesn't change his position.

Whenever Manu was in the game w/ Neal and TP, the SF position didn't exist. The Spurs simply had 2 SGs in the game at the same time. Players are who they are based upon skillset THEY themselves possess, not the scheme the coach calls up.

To further my point, can you describe the difference between Ray Allen and Paul Pierce? Both are called on in the offense to score - so what's their primary difference?

DAF86
06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Very true - but the team would play a different scheme. Do you remember who the SG was for Denver when Melo was their SF. Neither do I. It's because the offensive play calling was set for Melo to get the ball, in space, to do as he pleased with it. He could shoot from 3, drive, whatever he desired. He did it from the SF position - no one thought of him a the SG.

Whenever Manu was on the floor, he had the same rights that Melo had as the SF. But RJ was still the SF and was looked upon by Pop to play defense, hustle, get rebounds and hit 3s primarily. The offense in no way ran through RJ - but that doesn't change his position.

Whenever Manu was in the game w/ Neal and TP, the SF position didn't exist. The Spurs simply had 2 SGs in the game at the same time. Players are who they are based upon skillset THEY themselves possess, not the scheme the coach calls up.

Well, that's exactly my point. I posted my first comment in this thread 'cause somebody said that Anderson would perform better if he played as a SG, and I answer it by saying that that doesn't matter 'cause is the player not the postition that matters (at least in terms of SG and SF, it's obviously not the same playing as a SF than a PF). If the poster would have said: "Anderson would perform better if he gets his number called a bit more" or something like that I wouldn't have said anything.

To further my point, can you describe the difference between Ray Allen and Paul Pierce? Both are called on in the offense to score - so what's their primary difference?

Main difference is the size.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
LOL - I must admit this is probably one of the better debates that I've read on here much less been a part of. You seem to know something about basketball.

However, I guess we just agree to disagree. My initial response is that size doesn't determine your position, your SKILLSET does.

SG skillset - Quicker, leaner players who possess long range shooting ability who often have a quick release. Not known for great speed, lateral quickness or being analytical toward deciphering defenses, etc. Also not known for assisting or defensive/rebounding prowess (but some do possess it). Also not known for being drive the hole scorers (but again, some do posses the skill) as they're not really known for initiating contact like PGs or SFs. Remember Vinny Del Negro - slow, couldn't jump and never really wanted to defend but boy could he shoot.

SF skillset - Taller, stronger players who possess a far more variety of skills. Defense is usually the priority and such players typically possess greater lateral quickness and vertical leaping ability than other positions. Can shoot outside as well as post up (play w/ back to the basket), initiate and play through contact and hit the boards w/ authority. Usually, the best pure athletes on the team, in terms of speed, jumping, strength, etc. are the SF.

Size is just but ONE aspect - again, Magic Johnson was the size of a good PF but he played PG. Gary Neal is short for PG but has played SG for most of his career.

Ray Allen is a SG and Paul Pierce is a SF even though both are relied upon to score in their scheme. They just both score in different ways due to their skillsets. Size is nowhere near their only difference - when was the last time anyone saw Ray Allen run to the block and try and post up his defender? How many rebounds does he get per game? How often would he drive to the basket as compared to settling for an outside jumper? You might notice that Paul Pierce posted up often, got many more rebounds and drove the the basket probably twice as much.

It's not just size - it's mentality, skillset and playing style. If a player plays like a SF, has the game of a SF, has the attributes of a SF, regardless of his height, then he's a SF.

Again, just a difference in opinion I guess...

DAF86
06-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Yep, agree to disagree :toast

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
BTW - Anderson is a SG by both my definition and yours in that he possess SG skillset according to my definition and is the height of a SG according to yours (I know there are SF in the NBA that are 6'6" but most of those are SWINGMEN or SG/SF combos).

Anderson played SG at Ok State. He was listed as the #3 off-guard in the nation in HS. He hasn't played SF as a primary position for over 8 years. If the Spurs use him that way, it's because they don't have any other option...

ChuckD
06-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Arguing over what we think players positions are is pointless. The Spurs consider the positions to be as follows: 2 posts, 2 wings, and a lead guard. They consider the posts and wings more or less interchangeable on plays. I remember on that Christmas game in Phoenix a couple of years ago, Manu said afterward that he changed places with Mason because he liked that matchup better. Mason got the last laugh, though.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
I beg to differ citing the last 2 hours of posting...

Manu "changing places" w/ Mason (not sure what that means exactly) would indicate that 2 SGs are playing at the same time. Whenever Pop goes to a small lineup - he does it w/ SGs because there are so many of them on the team.

Whenever the CBA is resolved and basketball resumes and Pop decides to play a bigger lineup w/ both RJ and Leonard in the game, does that mean that RJ is now the SG? Or better yet, that they're both wings? If Bonner is in w/ Blair and Splitter, then who's the wing then?

Skillsets define positions gentlemen. That's all there is to it. If a player is utilized in a fashion not quite fitting his skillset, it doesn't change his position forever. Manu and Neal have the SG skillset - both of which differ from the skillset of RJ and Leonard (who both have the SF skillset).

You can call it a wing, a forward or a banana, it doesn't change who they are or how they play.

ChuckD
06-27-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm just telling you the Spurs system. If you want to believe that there are eight positions, or twenty, you are free to do so. The Spurs see three positions.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I can see that you and a few others feel pretty strongly about this...not sure where you get your info from but Pop asked specifically for a SMALL FORWARD. Not a wing. Not one of 3 positions. A small forward. His words. In the article. He didn't ask for a forward or wing - he asked for a SMALL forward.

Why would he ask for something that specific if he doesn't actually have that specific position on his team?

Tell you what, we can forget this debate and as I mentioned agree to disagree. And when the all star voting comes out next year and Manu's name is on it as a SG, both of you can cross out his position and right in "wing" if that'll make you feel better.

Same thing for all defensive rookie team for Leonard.

dbestpro
06-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm just telling you the Spurs system. If you want to believe that there are eight positions, or twenty, you are free to do so. The Spurs see three positions.

Not anymore. That experiment is over. Bowen never played SG and neither will Leonard.

DAF86
06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Not anymore. That experiment is over. Bowen never played SG and neither will Leonard.

:rolleyes Bowen started his career with the SG denomination, in '03 many times the broadcasters (at least here in SouthAmerica) would place Bowen as SG and Stephen Jackson as SF. Bowen usually guarded the opposing SG not the opposing SF, and on offense he would do always the same regardless of what "position" he was playing on paper: stand in the cornerns and shoot threes. Seriously people, most of the time there's no difference between SGs and SFs, the players are the ones that make the difference.

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I absolutely love Anderson too. He was on quite a roll before he suffered the unfortunate injury. That injury which opened the door for Gary Neal to shine. As much as I love Neal, and I still want him taking any and every clutch 3-pt shot, but I believe Anderson's ceiling is really high - as a two-way player.

I'd like to see Anderson start too because Manu played an extraordinary amount of minutes and should be preserved for the playoffs. I just get the feeling that Pop has permanently installed Manu as the starter (based on comments he made this past season) and he's likely not going to move him back to the bench - for any reason.

It will be very interesting to see how Pop manages playing time at the SG position.

ace3g
09-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Confident Anderson ready for liftoff

LAS VEGAS — The change came in James Anderson not long into one of his first games at the Impact Competitive Basketball series last week.

The second-year Spurs guard-forward was driving to the hoop, through a thicket of bodies, when an arm reached down and knocked the ball from his hands, making ample contact with his wrist and forearm in the process.

Hearing no whistle, Anderson did something completely out of character. He opened his mouth.

“That’s a foul!” the 22-year-old known to even his closest friends as “Quiet James” bellowed at the nearest official.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/09/22/confident-anderson-ready-for-liftoff/

ChuckD
09-24-2011, 11:48 PM

He's right. Although the personnel differ, 99% Spurs plays are written up for two posts, two wings, and a lead guard. I remember that Christmas game against PHO a couple of years ago. Manu said he switched places with Mason because he thought he had a better chance for the shot. Mason got it any way, and stuck it. They were the two wings on the play.

ChuckD
09-24-2011, 11:50 PM

Exactly. He played wing, one of the Spurs three positions. :D

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2012, 01:14 AM
lol draft busts

anyway this is a make or break season for him, since next year is a team option, will the spurs pick it up or just dump him?

TDMVPDPOY
01-08-2012, 01:15 AM
lol draft busts

anyway this is a make or break season for him, since next year is a team option, will the spurs pick it up or just dump him?

Ditty
01-08-2012, 02:46 AM
lol draft busts

Kid is only 22, and not even hit his prime, and you want the Spurs to already get rid of him, that would be worse then getting rid of Scola. Please he has a way higher offensive ceiling then any of our younger guys, and plays his ass off on defensive end, and still shoots if he is struggling so far at the beginning of the year.

Sure Danny Green is playing great, and if this keeps up I will be a believer, but teams always need solid 3 point shooters, and JA has shown that he has been able to knock down NBA 3's so he will always have a spot in the league, and create offense, and possibly more when he continues to improve on his dribbiling, but JA will probably be a million times better player then Danny Green will ever be at the end of the day.

timtonymanu
01-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Lol declaring someone a draft bust when he hasn't even played a full NBA season. Anderson is basically still a rookie. He has potential. Things will click eventually. Unfortunately for Anderson, he has Green, Neal, and Leonard to compete minutes with so he can't fully show what he's got yet.

CGD
01-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Nah, this guys has a lot of upside, and it's probably him trying to do too much. He's playing a little out of control. I'd like to see a turn around on at what seems like a regression on the defensive end though.

Spurtacus
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
He hasn't hit open shots. Period. Need to hit those shots if you want to play more minutes then Neal and Green.

tp2021
01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
It is inevitable. At some point this season, JA will start hitting the shots that he was bricking early in the season, and Green will go into a shooting slump.

Does that mean we should get rid of Green and keep JA? No, they are both pieces worth holding on to. We have seen what Green can bring to the table in the first few games of this season, and the same can be said for JA from last season.

The young guys on this Spurs team may very round out into a great group of contributors, one that can be augmented with the necessary heavy-lifter after our big 3 is no more and the books are freed up.

Em-City
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
It is inevitable. At some point this season, JA will start hitting the shots that he was bricking early in the season

here's hoping..

TJastal
01-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Kid is only 22, and not even hit his prime, and you want the Spurs to already get rid of him, that would be worse then getting rid of Scola. Please he has a way higher offensive ceiling then any of our younger guys, and plays his ass off on defensive end, and still shoots if he is struggling so far at the beginning of the year.

Sure Danny Green is playing great, and if this keeps up I will be a believer, but teams always need solid 3 point shooters, and JA has shown that he has been able to knock down NBA 3's so he will always have a spot in the league, and create offense, and possibly more when he continues to improve on his dribbiling,but JA will probably be a million times better player then Danny Green will ever be at the end of the day.

:lmao

venitian navigator
01-09-2012, 06:02 AM
...i've seen him for the first time this year, and what scared me is that I found him not as athletic as I thought he was...and that could put, in any case, a limit on the kind of defense and offense he'll ever have the chance to play.
Maybe this impression is gonna change with playing time.
However, one point is that, also if it looks that he has a decent tecnique, his main weapon has always been considered his shooting...that till now doesn' fall.
Comparing him to Green, I have to say that also if Green has played bad, has given an idea of more than decent athletic ability...

Darkwaters
01-09-2012, 09:54 AM
James Anderson has definitely underwhelmed this year, but thats not totally unexpected. Last season was a mess with his injury and then this bizarre offseason didn't help him either. In many respects hes still a rookie. At this point he could be a total bust or a solid NBA starter for all I know. We've seen flashes of both excellence and garbage. Give it time.

Now, out of curiosity, would Austin help Anderson at all? Obviously with Ginobili out for several months it's not realistic now. But with Anderson basically last on the depth chart for wings would it be more beneficial for him to spend time in Austin or SA (assuming Gino were healthy)?

z0sa
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
JA looked really good last season. I expect him to get it going again this season, but he's got LOTS of competition on the wings.

Ditty
01-09-2012, 08:34 PM
:lmao

Still butthurt that your boyfriend got traded

Lol thinking Hill is good after shitting in the bed 2 years in a row.

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
fkn tools in here thinkn we should pick up his option, lol draft bust

8FOR!3
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
James Anderson has definitely underwhelmed this year, but thats not totally unexpected. Last season was a mess with his injury and then this bizarre offseason didn't help him either. In many respects hes still a rookie. At this point he could be a total bust or a solid NBA starter for all I know. We've seen flashes of both excellence and garbage. Give it time.

Now, out of curiosity, would Austin help Anderson at all? Obviously with Ginobili out for several months it's not realistic now. But with Anderson basically last on the depth chart for wings would it be more beneficial for him to spend time in Austin or SA (assuming Gino were healthy)?

I think Austin would help him tons. He needs to get a rhythm going, shoot the ball whenever he can. We can't afford for him to do that here while he's missing. Go to Austin, get your shot rolling, call us back when you're hitting.

timtonymanu
01-18-2012, 12:23 AM
fkn tools in here thinkn we should pick up his option, lol draft bust

lol yeah Anderson looks like shit, but he's not a draft bust. He hasn't had a full season under his belt. He is coming off an injury which he probably hasn't fully recovered from yet. It's idiots like you who think he has to play like George Hill or Manu Ginobili.

You want to see a draft bust? Look at Kwame Brown or Shelden Williams, for example. If Anderson continues to play like this 2 years from now, then you can call him a bust.

Ditty
01-18-2012, 11:43 AM
lol yeah Anderson looks like shit, but he's not a draft bust. He hasn't had a full season under his belt. He is coming off an injury which he probably hasn't fully recovered from yet. It's idiots like you who think he has to play like George Hill or Manu Ginobili.

You want to see a draft bust? Look at Kwame Brown or Shelden Williams, for example. If Anderson continues to play like this 2 years from now, then you can call him a bust.

:toast

loveforthegame
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I feel bad because he's shown flashes of what he could be but for whatever reasons he's laying egg after egg this season.

The Spurs should pick his option up because it's cheap enough to do so.

NickiRasgo
10-23-2013, 10:03 PM
26 Mins. - 23 Points (FG 9-13, 3P 4-8, FT 1-1), 6 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 1 Steal, 1 Turnover

Yes it's only a preseason game but still a nice stats.

MR-Clutch
10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Looks like Anderson is finally breaking out of shell and meeting his potential. Of course it is preseason, but I guess well find out soon what kind of player he is.

Baam
10-25-2013, 10:12 AM
26 Mins. - 23 Points (FG 9-13, 3P 4-8, FT 1-1), 6 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 1 Steal, 1 Turnover

:hat

monkeypunk
10-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Good for him, still wish his foot issue hadn't derailed his time with Los Spurs. Always had high hopes for him. Seemed like the professional hard working type that could have flourished in our system.

Best of luck to you, JA!!

exstatic
10-26-2013, 07:03 AM
He played REALLY WELL for us last season when Kawhi went down with his injury. He shot 44% from the field, and 46% from 3 land. I think if the Spurs had a crystal ball to see how bad the Jack situation was going to spiral out of control, they would have cut him and signed JA to back up Kawhi.

NBCSPORTS says he'll start for Philly. Good for you James.

szkorhetz
11-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Are you kiddin me? Are you fucking kiddin me?

BWS-1994
11-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Imagine James Anderson if he didn't get those injuries :wow

DrunkTXLabrat
11-14-2013, 05:52 AM
injuries and gary neal. no more neal to worry about for james...

smaka
08-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Signed with Zalgiris.

exstatic
08-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Signed with Zalgiris.

Good for James. They're in the Euroleague, so it's a high level club.