PDA

View Full Version : Props to Pop

Mark in Austin
05-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Somebody's gotta say it. Pop's doing a great job these playoffs. For a coach who most thought was a known quantity (defense-first, can't or too stubborn to make adjustments on the fly, or counter the adjustments other coaches make), he's made some huge adjustments this postseason.

I'll admit it: I never thought he would be this good. I don't think it is possible to coach a better game than what he did in game one. Think about the adjustments this game alone:

-Having Bowen defend Marion for most of the afternoon. (I actually can't remember if he did this in the regular season, but if he did apparently nobody on the Suns remembered either, given how poorly prepared they were for it.)

-Duncan on Richardson to start the game. effective, but wtf? :lol

-Changing how to defend Nash in the fourth was when the Spurs took control of the game. Phoenix was left scrambling and reacting instead of playing their game. We'll see if the Suns figure out a counter for this defensive adjustment, but for at least a quarter the Spurs were able to slow down Nash and disrupt the pick & roll.

-Playing Barry 34 minutes after his unremarkable Seattle series.

My theory? I think having Duncan and Manu missing significant numbers of game sdown the stretch and adding two new faces later in the season than normal for the Spurs has brought out the best in Pop's coaching. He had to think out of the box for a big chunk of time, and the whole team has benefitted from it.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2005, 02:48 AM
What are you talking about? Pop sucks and doesn't know how to make adjustments!
[/Aggie Hoopsfan]

Mark in Austin
05-23-2005, 02:52 AM
I think that the lack of adjustments were true during some of the Lakers series over the years. But what I'm seeing from Pop right now in unprecedented.

He even said in the postgame that they weren't going to try to dictate or impose their will, but instead would take what the other team gave them.

I almost fell off of my sofa when I heard that.

PM5K
05-23-2005, 02:52 AM
You mean postseason not offseason right?

I think the Barry thing was more because Robinson and Brown were both unavailable...

Kori Ellis
05-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I think that the lack of adjustments were true during some of the Lakers series over the years.

Definitely true last post season.

Gerryatrics
05-23-2005, 02:55 AM
I like the new Pop. I haven't had to yell at the TV nearly as much with him actually making timely adjustments and substitutions. I'd like to thank Pop for keeping my voice and my sanity in mind while drawing up his playoffs game plan.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Sort of off topic, this was funny from Pop tonight after the game ...

"I know it's likely I wasn't there. That's just a guess. I don't know that many plays." Popovich, in a lighter moment after the victory, when asked if he could remember the last time he saw two teams combine for 75 points in the fourth quarter of a game in the conference finals.