PDA

View Full Version : What's missing? It's fundamental.

GSH
11-05-2010, 09:38 AM
What's missing? It's fundamental.
Reigning Black

http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Jacob_Riis_2.jpg/220px-Jacob_Riis_2.jpg
........Jacob Riis (1849-1914)

Greg Popovich has famously posted a quote about a stonecutter in the Spurs' locker room, in the native language of each team member. The gist is that when a stone cracks after 101 blows, it is the work of the first 100 blows that made it happen. It is an inspirational message, and a part of Spurs culture. What most people don't know is that Popovich has another sign in his own office that reads, "The stonecutter needs to play better defense."

He doesn't really, but he should. It's a mantra that every Spurs player and fan has heard ever since the day Greg Popovich arrived in San Antonio. So, four games into the young season, it is not surprising that the most commonly-heard critique of this year's version of the Spurs is that they need to improve their defense. Unfortunately, that term gets thrown around in much the same way that car dealers use the word service. Ask any car dealer what makes them different, and they will say, "Better service". Ask any Spurs' player, or fan, what the team needs to do to improve, and they will say, "Play better defense". Move along - nothing to see here.

That's okay. There are plenty of other cliches to discuss: They need to take care of the ball. They need to hit the boards, and hustle for loose balls. They need to execute better. They need better ball movement. They need to take better shots. Those may all be cliches, but they are still applicable. And if you memorize them, you're a candidate for any job ever held by Jeff Van Gundy.

Continue Reading >>> (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/2010/11/whats-missing-its-fundamental.html#more" target="_blank">Continue Reading)

arles
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Very nice read. Thanks =D

:toast

wontstartdumbthreads
11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
What's missing? It's fundamental.
Reigning Black

http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Jacob_Riis_2.jpg/220px-Jacob_Riis_2.jpg
........Jacob Riis (1849-1914)

Greg Popovich has famously posted a quote about a stonecutter in the Spurs' locker room, in the native language of each team member. The gist is that when a stone cracks after 101 blows, it is the work of the first 100 blows that made it happen. It is an inspirational message, and a part of Spurs culture. What most people don't know is that Popovich has another sign in his own office that reads, "The stonecutter needs to play better defense."

He doesn't really, but he should. It's a mantra that every Spurs player and fan has heard ever since the day Greg Popovich arrived in San Antonio. So, four games into the young season, it is not surprising that the most commonly-heard critique of this year's version of the Spurs is that they need to improve their defense. Unfortunately, that term gets thrown around in much the same way that car dealers use the word service. Ask any car dealer what makes them different, and they will say, "Better service". Ask any Spurs' player, or fan, what the team needs to do to improve, and they will say, "Play better defense". Move along - nothing to see here.

That's okay. There are plenty of other cliches to discuss: They need to take care of the ball. They need to hit the boards, and hustle for loose balls. They need to execute better. They need better ball movement. They need to take better shots. Those may all be cliches, but they are still applicable. And if you memorize them, you're a candidate for any job ever held by Jeff Van Gundy.

Continue Reading >>> (http://reigningblack.blogspot.com/2010/11/whats-missing-its-fundamental.html#more" target="_blank">Continue Reading)

WTF. Can we please put a moratorium on shit like this? Another example of rehashed analysis that anyone with any intelligence who has watched the games already knows. And trying to give it some kind of intellectual credibility by posting a picuture of Jacob Riis. I pretend that I'm educated but I had no idea who this person was so I had to look it up. Maybe I'm too simple, but you could have at least saved me the trouble by mentioning that he was the originator of the Stonecutter quote. I had initially assumed that he said "The stonecutter needs to play better defense".

BTW, I loved Jacob Riis's portrayal of mailman Cliff Claven on Cheers.

Russ
11-05-2010, 10:11 AM
WTF. Can we please put a moratorium on shit like this? Another example of rehashed analysis that anyone with any intelligence who has watched the games already knows. And trying to give it some kind of intellectual credibility by posting a picuture of Jacob Riis. I pretend that I'm educated but I had no idea who this person was so I had to look it up. Maybe I'm too simple, but you could have at least saved me the trouble by mentioning that he was the originator of the Stonecutter quote. I had initially assumed that he said "The stonecutter needs to play better defense".

:depressed:depressed:depressed

I liked the article. Maybe we could have a moratorium on negativity, Mr. Rove (you can look him up, too).

GSH
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM

In the Suns game, the Spurs controlled the opening tip. Manu made a bad pass toward Jefferson that was almost a turnover, but got tipped out of bounds. The Spurs got the ball back, and Manu's next pass was no gem. I'm just saying.

You did read the whole article, didn't you?

One of the best golf instructors ever was Harvey Penick. He used to tell the pros he taught to "take dead aim". That's because players have a tendency to hit in the general direction of the flag, rather than really zeroing in on it. You wouldn't think that the best players in the world would have to be reminded of something like that, but they do. The same goes for passing the ball. The difference between teams is smaller than many people think. And 3-4 blown possessions per game can make the difference between winning a division and being a 7-8 seed.

It drives me crazy when guys toss those weak-assed lob passes to start a possession, and get them picked off. It's a momentum changer. It gets the crowd all excited. And it's 100% avoidable. If you want to be a great team, you can't do stuff like that.

wontstartdumbthreads
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
In the Suns game, the Spurs controlled the opening tip. Manu made a bad pass toward Jefferson that was almost a turnover, but got tipped out of bounds. The Spurs got the ball back, and Manu's next pass was no gem. I'm just saying.

You did read the whole article, didn't you?

One of the best golf instructors ever was Harvey Penick. He used to tell the pros he taught to "take dead aim". That's because players have a tendency to hit in the general direction of the flag, rather than really zeroing in on it. You wouldn't think that the best players in the world would have to be reminded of something like that, but they do. The same goes for passing the ball. The difference between teams is smaller than many people think. And 3-4 blown possessions per game can make the difference between winning a division and being a 7-8 seed.

It drives me crazy when guys toss those weak-assed lob passes to start a possession, and get them picked off. It's a momentum changer. It gets the crowd all excited. And it's 100% avoidable. If you want to be a great team, you can't do stuff like that.

I admit that once I went to the actual blog, I only skimmed over it and did not read the final paragraph which actually tied the whole thing up nicely.
I also appreiciate your comments above. Anyway, I think I owe you an apology. Sorry about that. Nice job.

Sotongball21
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes. The spurs' passing has been horrible. But with the inclusion of splitter and Anderson, I think it will improve through the season.
If I recall correctly, in the game against the clippers, I liked a play that involved Splitter in the low block. Where he passed it to the corner and the ball swings from there to an open shooter. That was a vintage play. I missed the old spurs that swings the ball around. Not standing around waiting for Manu or Tony to iso.:downspin:

GSH
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I admit that once I went to the actual blog, I only skimmed over it and did not read the final paragraph which actually tied the whole thing up nicely.
I also appreiciate your comments above. Anyway, I think I owe you an apology. Sorry about that. Nice job.

The Cliff Clavin comment cracked me up. I thought Riis looked a little like Pop, but he really is a dead ringer for Cliffy.

Everyone knows that the Heat and Lakers are stacked. The Spurs pick guys because they are smart. They can't afford to waste that. I just think they could tune up 3-4 possessions per game by reminding themselves not to slack off on any passes. You can't eliminate all mistakes, but you can dry up some of them.

That was a game that could have easily gone in the L column. With 6 minutes left, the Spurs were up by 5 and looked like they were in control. Then they put up 2 really bad shots because of poor passes. After that came 2 turnovers because of bad passes. And just like that the Suns were up by 3.

At the end the Suns stood around watching Manu hold the ball, while 15 seconds ticked off. That unforced error really sealed the loss for them. And it's those ones you let slip away that really haunt you in the playoffs, because of seeding.