PDA

View Full Version : If Gasol went down for the season with an injury.....

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Could Kobe lead this team to a playoff birth?

Experience. We have to 1st consider that Kobes as a leader has taken a team to the playoffs. Pre Collusion in 2007, Kobes had the Lakers all the way up to barely above the .500 mark and actually took them to the playoffs vs Phoenix. I think the board Laker gals can tell you what leadership that game took on.

2006 while the Lakeshow did not make the playoffs, Kobes had them close to .500

Age True that Kobes accomplished the above while younger, but he keeps himself in good shape despite grueling road trips to Staples to face the awesome Clippers. I think in all fairness we don't see LeBron, Duncan, KG and others having such a grueling road arrangement of playing dormats in their own city and home court. Kobes is unique.

Intangibles? What intangibles does a Gasol-less Kobes bring?

Venti Quattro
11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
"Hello, is this the Memphis Grizzlies?"

"I would like to make a trade"

"Yes, Marc Gasol for Theo Ratliff please"

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I smell skunk.

Jose Canseco
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Actually an interesting question. I'd say yes but it's probably close, because it would also depend on the health of Bynum. If Pau went down and Bynum was still pussying through the regular season, it would be a very difficult task to accomplish. That's how important the frontcourt is for the Lakers. Odom has played great and he'd help but having Ratliff and Caracter carrying a substantial load might be asking a lot, not just because of Ratliff's age and Caracter's youth, but also because of their lack of familiarity with the triangle to make a strong enough impact offensively.

I'd say Kobe could lead them to a playoff seed but probably 6th seed or lower and wouldn't be a threat in the playoffs.

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Actually an interesting question.

:lmao

BUMP
2006 while the Lakeshow did not make the playoffs

imho, you should stick with the NFL Forum nicknames cause you clearly have no idea what you're talking about

Chieflion
Then they won't make it to the playoffs.

PGDynasty24
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Lakers didnt miss playoffs in 2006. They went 47-35 that year. But to answer the question,without Pau we don't win the title that much is true. But our team even without him is still a top 4 seed. Were so deep right now and if Bynum can do well in Pau's absence and Lamar can continue being Lamar we would probably be a 55 win team,but without Pau we ain't winning a title

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM
At least your way, Chief, we'd be guaranteed not to get skunked.

tee, hee.

Venti Quattro
11-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Lakers didnt miss playoffs in 2006. They went 45-37 that year.

fify

O.J Mayo
11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Lakers didnt miss playoffs in 2006. They went 47-35 that year. But to answer the question,without Pau we don't win the title that much is true. But our team even without him is still a top 4 seed. Were so deep right now and if Bynum can do well in Pau's absence and Lamar can continue being Lamar we would probably be a 55 win team,but without Pau we ain't winning a title

LMAO. Are you a certified retard? Are you saying the Lakers would only suffer a 2 game differential loss from last season with Gasol out for the entire season?

baseline bum
11-05-2010, 10:48 AM
They'd probably be a three seed. That roster is stacked.

21_Blessings
11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
They're the best team in the West easily, with or without Gasol.

bus driver
11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Could Kobe lead this team to a playoff birth?

yes, kobe makes those players better.....not the other way around.

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 11:05 AM
^That's gonna go over like a fart in church with your Spurs Bros., Bus.

You sure you don't want to cover your ass and edit that thing?

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Lakers didnt miss playoffs in 2006.
That's right it was not two but three years of Kobe without Gasol.

38-48 2005 with a skunky smell according to Tee Hee
45-37 2006 1st Round loss 4-3
42-40 2007 1st Round loss 4-1

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 11:08 AM
You got no room, Fabbs, you got skunked this past Spring.

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I miss my DOK profile

stretch
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
LMAO. Are you a certified retard? Are you saying the Lakers would only suffer a 2 game differential loss from last season with Gasol out for the entire season?

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Venti Quattro
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM
lol spurfan's only hope is an injury of another team

so fucking optimistic every fucking year :cry :cry :cry

21_Blessings
11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Let's be honest though

Fisher
Kobe
Ron Barnes
Lamar
Healthy Bynum

would utterly plow the Spurs.

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
http://www.solidgamers.com/games/images/soundboard-ralphwiggum.gif
I think going sub .500 and missing the playoffs is better then getting swept in the 1st Round.

yes, yes you do.

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 11:23 AM

A trade of Bonner for Gasol right now would be fair right?
Laker Bois hopes. :toast

PGDynasty24
11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
A trade of Bonner for Gasol right now would be fair right?
Laker Bois hopes. :toast

Yeah because Bonner = A young good player in Marc Gasol,2 1st rounders and 12 million in tax relief

21_Blessings
11-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah because Bonner = A young good player in Marc Gasol,2 1st rounders and 12 million in tax relief

ScOlUCHa.

Venti Quattro
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
ScOlUCHa.

scola diving?

lefty
11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
What a stupid thread

stretch
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
hi lefty

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
let's be honest though

fisher
kobe
ron barnes
lamar
healthy bynum

would utterly plow the spurs.

gtfo

namlook
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Good chance the Lakers would come out of the West even without Gasol. Mitch has done a great job of rebuilding the team. The Lakers struggles for a few years were because they were rebuilding like all teams do at some point and were starting garbage like Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins and Kwame Brown. In 2008, prior to the Gasol trade the Lakers were 29-16. They had a good team that year even without Gasol and the Lakers would have an even better team now without him.

The Celtics won 24 games in 2007 with Paul Pierce, Al Jefferson, Rondo, Perkins, Delonte West etc. Sometimes the team just isn't ready to win yet for various reasons including lack of experience issues and rebuilding.

fevertrees
11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Might as well hand the Bee Show the #1 seed if Gasol went down

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
^...just don't wet your diapers tonite.

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Might as well hand the Bee Show the #1 seed if Gasol went down

Holy Shit!

JamStone
11-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Good chance the Lakers would come out of the West even without Gasol. Mitch has done a great job of rebuilding the team. The Lakers struggles for a few years were because they were rebuilding like all teams do at some point and were starting garbage like Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins and Kwame Brown. In 2008, prior to the Gasol trade the Lakers were 29-16. They had a good team that year even without Gasol and the Lakers would have an even better team now without him.

But the West was still wide open. The Lakers were 29-16, but they weren't in first place at that point anymore. When the trade was made, the Hornets were 32-13, the Mavs were 31-14, the Spurs were 29-16, and the Jazz were 29-18. Plus against what were considered legitimate contenders (Celtics, Spurs, Mavs, Hornets), before that Gasol trade, the Lakers were 2-6 against those teams.

It's not likely the Lakers come out of the West without Gasol in 2008. And even with the development of some of their younger guys, it's nowhere near foreseeable that the Lakers come out of the West this season without Gasol. It might be Kobe's team and I do believe Kobe is still the best player on the Lakers, but without Gasol you'd be crazy to think they'd still come out of the West.

namlook
11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
But the West was still wide open. The Lakers were 29-16, but they weren't in first place at that point anymore. When the trade was made, the Hornets were 32-13, the Mavs were 31-14, the Spurs were 29-16, and the Jazz were 29-18. Plus against what were considered legitimate contenders (Celtics, Spurs, Mavs, Hornets), before that Gasol trade, the Lakers were 2-6 against those teams.

It's not likely the Lakers come out of the West without Gasol in 2008. And even with the development of some of their younger guys, it's nowhere near foreseeable that the Lakers come out of the West this season without Gasol. It might be Kobe's team and I do believe Kobe is still the best player on the Lakers, but without Gasol you'd be crazy to think they'd still come out of the West.

I agree they were not good enough to come of of the West in 2008 without Gasol but this year they would have a very good chance. They wouldn't be a lock by any means but they would have a legitimate shot at it.

JamStone
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
You leave me with no choice but to parse your words. "Very good chance" and "legitimate shot" can be very different things. Would they have a chance? Maybe. It's at least arguable. "Very good chance?" I don't agree with that at all.

tdunk21
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
if gasol goes down .....kobe will retire after this season

Sportcamper
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
"Hello, is this the Memphis Grizzlies?"

"I would like to make a trade"

"Yes, Marc Gasol for Theo Ratliff please"

LMAO@ Venti...:lol

GoodOdor
11-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Faggs didn't call him "Kome".

He slipping.

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
if gasol goes down .....kobe will retire after this season

X'in' out Gasol, retiring Bryant, find a way around the Suns in the Spring and you're off the snide, sweetheart.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
:lol

Getting rid of Gasol not only robs the Lakers of their #1a player, it also robs them of a huge part of their size advantage, which is the main advantage they have over the rest of the NBA..

The fact that some Laker fans even think that they would have a "very good" chance, speaks on the disrespect that Gasol still gets from their pathetic fanbase..

Medvedenko
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
If the Lakers lost Pau prior to the playoffs and had a health Bynum they could still make noise, but wouldn't be a lock to get to the finals.

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Getting rid of Gasol not only robs the Lakers of their #1a player, it also robs them of a huge part of their size advantage, which is the main advantage they have over the rest of the NBA..

The fact that some Laker fans even think that they would have a "very good" chance, speaks on the disrespect that Gasol still gets from their pathetic fanbase..
Bing bing. Winner.

LkrFan
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM

:lol Fail.

First off, Kobe is our biggest advantage on this team. He is still the best player on the planet and would still be an advantage against every team in the league (even the Hype :toast). Kobe lead a team that started Kwame, Cook, Odom, Luke Walton and Smush Parker to the playoffs. Matter of fact, the Lakers were one lucky rebound away from taking down the 2006 Suns - who were a powerhouse that year. Just about every player he has on this year's team is better than that bunch. :lol

Anyway, here are all of the advantages the Lakers pose against every team in the league:

Kobe. There is no other 2-guard in the league that is better than him. No other player is better than him. There are no "Kobe stoppers" out there that could stop him from doing whatever he wants.
3-headed monster front line. "No rebounds, no rings" is Riley's mantra. Well, we are 0.3 rpg from being the top rebounding team in the league. I've stated this before, you can't get out and run if you don't have the rebound (I'm talking to you Miami Hype :lol). They are versatile, agile, and can hit jumpers to boot. Even Drew has a 12 foot jumper to go along with Lamar's 3pt range - Pau can shoot them too but PJ won't let him. We start two 7-footers that both boast 7'6" wingspans. Nuff said
Continuity. The core of this team has been together at least 3 years. There is no need to learn each others' tendencies, strengths, or weaknesses. It's a given.
Championship experience. We've faced a game 7 in the Finals, staring at a 13 point deficit, and came out on top. That builds on the confidence we already have.
Bench play. Barnes, Blake, Brown - and soon to be Lamar Odom - is clearly the best bench in the league. Brown has improved and Blake/Barnes have proven to have better hoops IQ than I thought. Blake is the pass first PG the bench needed. Barnes hustle, tenacious defense and rebounding ability has been nothing short of spectacular. Their play will allow us to cut down on Kobe and Fisher's minutes all year. That means they will be fresh. Quick fact: Kobe's high in mpg all year has been 37 minutes. That means we are 5-0 even when our best player misses a whole quarter of every game this year.
Perimeter defense. The top scorers in the league are perimeter players (primarily). We have improved in that department boasting Artest, Kobe, Barnes, Blake, LO (for perimeter bigs like Bosh and _irk), and Brown. They are anchored by #2 on this list in case they get by our perimeter defenders. Now granted you will see an occasional good game from some perimeter players, but those days will be much fewer than in years past.

There are more advantages, but you get what I'm saying. It's good to see that Kobe is still our best advantage, but there are other factors we can use to our advantage to cut the nets down.

So if Gasol went down, and Bynum got the same shot attempts that he gets, I don't think the Lakers are as bad off as you think. Bynum's advantage at the center position is almost as good as Pau's average over ever PF in the league. The center position is weak. Low post defense as a whole is weak. A Bynum/LO frontline is probably better defensively than Bynum/Pau too. Bynum is the anchor that Pau isn't and LO is a very underrated defender.

The Hype will have to play balls to the wall all year while playing their big 3 big minutes to build continuity and familiarity to yield the same results. I mean, we're coasting yet we have the best record in the league. I'm yet to see a game whereas at least 3 of our starters played 40+ minutes in the same game. We haven't needed it. Even that come from behind win against the Rockets saw Kobe play only 37 minutes. This Laker team is stacked.

Shitty thread, by the way. :downspin:

Baseline
11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
It's good to see Laker fans actually acknowledging Pau's importance. Some of you guys are saying that they wouldn't come out of the West this year without Gasol.

Well, your'e exactly right. Bryant has accomplished absolutely nothing without a dominant offensive center to protect him and open things up.

The better question is... if the Lakers lost Bryant for the rest of the year, would they come out of the West this year?

If Bynum, Gasol, and Odom are healthy...Yes, they would, because the rest of the guys on the team understand pounding it inside. How hard is it to beat people if you have three guys who are practically ten feet long?

Yet Bryant obviously doesn't understand this concept, because he eats first.

Giuseppe
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM

It nearly made him commit sideways, but, he let Artest eat first in Game 7. The Celtics were waiting for him on that last shot. He could not get it off on the way up, at the top, or, on the way down. He finally gave up the ghost a couple inches before ups & downs was called & begrudgingly let Artest take it. He was actually incensed that A.) he was denied that shot, and God love him, B.) Artest made it.

That he passed it there was akin to an alcoholic walking away from a shot of rye.

Kobe is a case study for the books.

tdunk21
11-05-2010, 06:50 PM
X'in' out Gasol, retiring Bryant, find a way around the Suns in the Spring and you're off the snide, sweetheart.

you try too hard to be funny..and yet u suck with same comments over and over...stop quoting my post next time coz i already know what u r posting ability is....stfu with the sweet talk and act like a man

milkshakeballa
11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
It nearly made him commit sideways, but, he let Artest eat first in Game 7. The Celtics were waiting for him on that last shot. He could not get it off on the way up, at the top, or, on the way down. He finally gave up the ghost a couple inches before ups & downs was called & begrudgingly let Artest take it. He was actually incensed that A.) he was denied that shot, and God love him, B.) Artest made it.

That he passed it there was akin to an alcoholic walking away from a shot of rye.

Kobe is a case study for the books.

What a f'in post. My god. G-man...my aaa italian friend. Bringing the f'in goods. Per the usual. What a f'in post culb. What a post. Almost brought a tear to my eye

Thank you for that culb...thank you.

Fabbs
11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
It's good to see Laker fans actually acknowledging Pau's importance. Some of you guys are saying that they wouldn't come out of the West this year without Gasol.

Well, your'e exactly right. Bryant has accomplished absolutely nothing without a dominant offensive center to protect him and open things up.

The better question is... if the Lakers lost Bryant for the rest of the year, would they come out of the West this year?

If Bynum, Gasol, and Odom are healthy...Yes, they would, because the rest of the guys on the team understand pounding it inside. How hard is it to beat people if you have three guys who are practically ten feet long?

Bing bing more winnin.

Laker Bois with Kobe butt hairs on their lips can't come up with anything.

namlook
11-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Bing Bing Bing the bullshit detector has gone off.

Dominant center as long as he has Kobe on his team. Gasol was 0 for 12 in the playoffs before he joined Kobe. 0 for fucking 12. That's a winning percentage of 0%. He couldn't win a single fucking game but now he is dominant. LOL. Gasol is an important player for the Lakers but he is a complimentary player who has shown he needs a better player than he is on his team to win just one playoff game, never mind a playoff series, a conference title or a championship.

Nobody wins championships without other good players.

Larry Bird never won anything without two Hall of Fame bigmen and Magic Johnson never won anything without a bigman who is the all-time leading scorer in NBA history and one of the top three players of all-time.

/end of thread

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
They're the best team in the West easily, with or without Gasol.

The Celtics won 24 games in 2007 with Paul Pierce, Al Jefferson, Rondo, Perkins, Delonte West etc. Sometimes the team just isn't ready to win yet for various reasons including lack of experience issues and rebuilding.

If the Lakers lost Pau prior to the playoffs and had a health Bynum they could still make noise, but wouldn't be a lock to get to the finals.

:lol Fail.

First off, Kobe is our biggest advantage on this team. He is still the best player on the planet and would still be an advantage against every team in the league (even the Hype :toast). Kobe lead a team that started Kwame, Cook, Odom, Luke Walton and Smush Parker to the playoffs. Matter of fact, the Lakers were one lucky rebound away from taking down the 2006 Suns - who were a powerhouse that year. Just about every player he has on this year's team is better than that bunch. :lol

Anyway, here are all of the advantages the Lakers pose against every team in the league:

Kobe. There is no other 2-guard in the league that is better than him. No other player is better than him. There are no "Kobe stoppers" out there that could stop him from doing whatever he wants.
3-headed monster front line. "No rebounds, no rings" is Riley's mantra. Well, we are 0.3 rpg from being the top rebounding team in the league. I've stated this before, you can't get out and run if you don't have the rebound (I'm talking to you Miami Hype :lol). They are versatile, agile, and can hit jumpers to boot. Even Drew has a 12 foot jumper to go along with Lamar's 3pt range - Pau can shoot them too but PJ won't let him. We start two 7-footers that both boast 7'6" wingspans. Nuff said
Continuity. The core of this team has been together at least 3 years. There is no need to learn each others' tendencies, strengths, or weaknesses. It's a given.
Championship experience. We've faced a game 7 in the Finals, staring at a 13 point deficit, and came out on top. That builds on the confidence we already have.
Bench play. Barnes, Blake, Brown - and soon to be Lamar Odom - is clearly the best bench in the league. Brown has improved and Blake/Barnes have proven to have better hoops IQ than I thought. Blake is the pass first PG the bench needed. Barnes hustle, tenacious defense and rebounding ability has been nothing short of spectacular. Their play will allow us to cut down on Kobe and Fisher's minutes all year. That means they will be fresh. Quick fact: Kobe's high in mpg all year has been 37 minutes. That means we are 5-0 even when our best player misses a whole quarter of every game this year.
Perimeter defense. The top scorers in the league are perimeter players (primarily). We have improved in that department boasting Artest, Kobe, Barnes, Blake, LO (for perimeter bigs like Bosh and _irk), and Brown. They are anchored by #2 on this list in case they get by our perimeter defenders. Now granted you will see an occasional good game from some perimeter players, but those days will be much fewer than in years past.

There are more advantages, but you get what I'm saying. It's good to see that Kobe is still our best advantage, but there are other factors we can use to our advantage to cut the nets down.

So if Gasol went down, and Bynum got the same shot attempts that he gets, I don't think the Lakers are as bad off as you think. Bynum's advantage at the center position is almost as good as Pau's average over ever PF in the league. The center position is weak. Low post defense as a whole is weak. A Bynum/LO frontline is probably better defensively than Bynum/Pau too. Bynum is the anchor that Pau isn't and LO is a very underrated defender.

The Hype will have to play balls to the wall all year while playing their big 3 big minutes to build continuity and familiarity to yield the same results. I mean, we're coasting yet we have the best record in the league. I'm yet to see a game whereas at least 3 of our starters played 40+ minutes in the same game. We haven't needed it. Even that come from behind win against the Rockets saw Kobe play only 37 minutes. This Laker team is stacked.

Shitty thread, by the way. :downspin:

:lol Best team in the West, with or without Gasol..