PDA

View Full Version : Simmons waived; Quinn signed

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/604485009285120):

@JMcDonald_SAEN
Pop announces Spurs have waived G/F Bobby Simmons, signed G Chris Quinn. Quinn played w/ Nets last season, spent camp in Philly. #spurs

The Btown Spur
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Say what?

elemento
11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
WOW

i was not expecting that so soon

superbigtime
11-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/604485009285120):

Great we just got smaller. Awesome.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Signed another small (6-2) guard? Why?

Udokafan05
11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
i don't like, Simmons played some good defense vs Griffin

TimmehC
11-05-2010, 12:54 PM
ummm... Chris Quinn? srsly?

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Signed another guard? Why?

Probably a short-term signing while Hill is out?

DrSteffo
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes I would guess short term Pg backup because Temple kind of regressed?

DespЏrado
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Weird I thought Simmons might still have something to contribute at the PF position...

SPURadic
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
FWIW, I think this shows how high the Spurs are on James Anderson who would be the sole and primary option off the bench at SF for the Spurs. Also, the bad play of Temple in the preseason and early this season has obviously been a point of concern.

DrSteffo
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Pure speculation but maybe Simmons wanted PT or something?

Blackjack
I like it. I was just about to respond to a mountainballer post that I, which usually seems to be the case, was in agreement with.

Quinn's a capable point and a marksman from deep. The Spurs aren't overloaded with dead eye shooters and Hill's been used more as a 2, ceding playmaking responsibilities to Ginobili more often than not -- playing big minutes at the point isn't conducive to keeping an older Ginobili fresh.

I'm :tu on this move.

DespЏrado
Quinn video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYetbRvI7-4)

Brazil
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
wtf? Chris who ?

elemento
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, that means they don't trust Temple at all ?

TJastal
It seems to be the Pop way.

If you get sent down to play for the Toros team you can probably figure your on death row, because you're never going to land a spot on the team and to add insult to injury you'll get to watch nba outcasts like Bogans & Quinn get signed to contracts instead of you.

Speaking of Hairston & Jerrels btw.

timvp
Bobby Simmons getting waived isn't too much of a surprise. Barely getting any minutes with Bonner out wasn't a good sign. And now that he's basically a power forward, being the sixth big behind Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess and Bonner made him expendable.

But Chris Quinn? Not a big fan. He can shoot the ball but that's about it. Gives effort on D and decent ball-handler and passer ... but overall a not too interesting prospect with a low ceiling.

Signing Quinn could be a sign that Temple is a goner (either to Austin or the waiver wire). Temple has been pretty damn horrible so perhaps the Spurs view Quinn as a player who can step in right away and backup Parker while Hill is out. Quinn could step in and be better than Temple just due to being a better shooter and ballhandler.

Speaking of Hill, signing Quinn might or might not mean that Hill could be out a little longer than expected.

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Weird I thought Simmons might still have something to contribute at the PF position...

Definitely makes you wonder what's cooking considering Bonner is out, as well. Damn thin up front suddenly. Trade/acquisition in the works? :stirpot:

TJastal
I like it. I was just about to respond to a mountainballer post that I, which usually seems to be the case, was in agreement with.

Quinn's a capable point and a marksman from deep. The Spurs aren't overloaded with dead eye shooters and Hill's been used more as a 2, ceding playmaking responsibilities to Ginobili more often than not -- playing big minutes at the point isn't conducive to keeping an older Ginobili fresh.

Why the hell didn't Pop keep Jerrels then?

TDMVPDPOY
lol pop still thinkn of small ball roster lame...

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
PYetbRvI7-4

Chris Quinn has a "Mix." :rollin

tdunk21
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
wow...chris quinn....is from the same town as me....dublin, ohio....bad signing though....could be a temporary move coz of hill's injury....i wonder who will the spurs sign when hill is back and quin is released

Chomag
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
This would be Quinn's 5th season yet he has played only 19 games total? hmmm...

If this is what is needed why not jerrells?

DrSteffo
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Quinn seems to be a "good guy", hard worker and so on, maybe this move is about team chemistry too, I don't know. Simmons is no loss and Temple needs to step up.

ohmwrecker
Insurance. Hill is out and Temple is sucking wind. I expected a PG signing, but Quinn is a little surprising. Temple better get his shit together.
Simmons was expendable and so is Gee. Gee has youth and athletic abilities and that is the upside. Jefferson's small ball 4 replacement is gone.

Thompson
As someone mentioned in the Hamilton/Prince thread, it would be nice if Detroit would to Prince and just release him from his contract, and then he could sign with us. Short of that (highly unlikely) event, I don't know if there's anyone else worth signing to add depth at SF.

DespЏrado
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM

That doesn't seem like he would have much to contribute except maybe a steadier hand at point, but at this point, this is just weird especially with Neal possibly capable of playing exactly the same role as Quinn.

agamp9
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Great, why cant we get a true Center instead of getting Guards!!!!!

TJastal
11-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Insurance. Hill is out and Temple is sucking wind. I expected a PG signing, but Quinn is a little surprising. Temple better get his shit together.
Simmons was expendable and so is Gee. Gee has youth and athletic abilities and that is the upside. Jefferson's small ball 4 replacement is gone.

RJ <Gulp!>

howbouthemspurs
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Quinn looks to have a whole lot of potential! I think all he needs is the right coach. I think Pop is the perfect fit for him.

Brazil
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm puzzled

lefty
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Quinn is Pat Riley material

EricB
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
What's to be puzzled about? The spurs need a point guard. Temple has stunk Hill is hurt. Jerrels is an undersized SG and if they wanted him or thought he could handle it he wouldve been resigned.

Libri
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but this would not be a ten day contract because ten day contracts are made available after January 5.

timvp
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Thinking about this some more, I like it in the short term. Quinn can step in and be decent right away. He's a low mistake point guard who can shoot. He also will likely give enough effort defensively to keep Pop happy.

But, personally, I think the end of the bench roster spots should be used to find a diamond in the rough. Bringing in a raw player and hoping to strike gold after a little seasoning makes more sense to me than bringing in a player who can help for a couple weeks.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean Hill is more hurt than we think.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Why the hell didn't Pop keep Jerrels then?

Jerrells did look surprisingly good this pre-season, like an actual NBA player-prospect, but that was only one good stretch -- was Temple's play last year an aberration and did they think Jerrells looked to be the same? Don't know.

Quinn's an NBA player and one hell of a shooter, plays with a lot of "basketball toughness," so I can definitely see how Pop would like him -- plus he's from Notre Dame, and we all know how fond Pop is of Indiana.

I personally like Temple but I haven't seen the same player I saw last year, either. But is that an indictment of his ability or is it just an adjustment going on from an off-season of tweaks and a concentration on the point, some of the same type of thinking and development that I believe to be plaguing Blair recently, or was he just playing way over his head last year? I tend to believe the former.

I just don't see much use for Simmons or a comparable player right now. If the Spurs could go without playing him against the Suns, how often will you be in a position where you need his services?

I think Quinn's a good player to take a look at for the time being, maybe even it lights a fire under Temple.

I expect Hill to be back in the next game or so, but I guess there's no way to be sure. We'll have to wait and see if this is nothing more than a stopgap for them being down without their backup point for a while.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 01:17 PM

I never really liked Temple because he was not really good at any specific thing, and really not a point guard. I still find it funny that some people (Popovich included, apparently) actually thought he was a decent point guard that could back up Parker. I remember having a few arguments over this very issue.

Hill was more a point guard than this guy, IMO. And Hill is really only a combo guard with some point guard skills.

mingus
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
i'm wondering if this means that either Hill is going to be out longer with his kneck injury or if it means he's expendable and the Spurs are exploring trade avenues. maybe Pop likes what he sees enough in Neal and Anderson and sees Hill as a guy that can get us a better defensive player at the SG spot.

mingus
11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
i personally think Hill is extremely overrated by people on this board.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
i'm wondering if this means that either Hill is going to be out longer with his kneck injury or if it means he's expendable and the Spurs are exploring trade avenues. Maybe Pop likes what he sees enough in Neal and Anderson and sees Hill as a guy that can get us a better defensive player at the SG spot.

Now that Spurs have pretty much locked up Parker, the only Spurs player with some trade value now would be Hill. There is that possibilty .

mexpurs21
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Bye bye Temple

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Simmons wasn't capable of doing what the Spurs needed him to do. He found a little niche as the small ball 4, but that wasn't enough to raise him above glorified seat warmer. They could have waived Gee or Temple, but those guys have a ton more upside and they are probably hoping that Temple can return to where he was at the end of last season.
I am kind of interested to see what Quinn can do and if he will get much opportunity to do it. I guess they aren't as confident in Neal as a PG as I am. Maybe the RMJ experiment spooked Pop . . . not necessarily a bad thing.

phxspurfan
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I like the signing. Always good to have someone who can put the ball in the hole.

lefty
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwVTMreTLwoMu_HJ2kqVaKUjJDhCGFG pmzcun26ljzKi0_R_Q&t=1&usg=__T_Ml6Z6RGPVMtRr2qW2MkoxVlVo=

http://www.nbamate.com/images/DoubtingThomas/act_chris_quinn.jpg

mingus
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
i also think the offense that George Hill brings (which isn't that much and by no means irreplaceable) isn't as needed with the emergence of RJ and perhaps even Tiago in the future (we'll see). The Spurs absolutely need to inject that starting lineup with defense, and i don't think Hill makes them respectable defensively because he hasn't really shown that he's very good in that respect (which is a shame because he has all the tools to be great).

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Bye bye TempleWhy wasn't he waived then?

Quinn seems like a tryout. According to basketball-reference he has played 190 games. I'm assuming Jerrells is looking for opportunities overseas.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
What's to be puzzled about? The spurs need a point guard. Temple has stunk Hill is hurt. Jerrels is an undersized SG and if they wanted him or thought he could handle it he wouldve been resigned.

Jerrels played a ton of point guard on the toros and in the stints of PT he got in pre-season he showed a lot of ballhandling, leadership, & playmaking abilities.

IMO, he was a scoring point guard in the same mold as Parker, and would have been perfectly suitable in an insurance type role (and should have been signed for this role IMO)

Darkwaters
11-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Interesting.

Well I can't say that I'm upset that Simmons is gone. But Quin is definitely the surprise. Definitely sucks to be Jerrells right now though. I can see him on the phone with his agent right now:

"So you mean the Spurs traded me to the Hornets because they didn't need a PG...but the Hornets traded for another point guard and cut me. Then the Spurs signed a different PG after the Hornets cut me? Who'd the Spurs end up getting, Jason Kidd? Wait, who?! Who the fuck is that?"

TJastal
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwVTMreTLwoMu_HJ2kqVaKUjJDhCGFG pmzcun26ljzKi0_R_Q&t=1&usg=__T_Ml6Z6RGPVMtRr2qW2MkoxVlVo=

:lmao :rollin :lol :lol :lmao :rollin

ohmwrecker

He looks like Frank Nitti from The Untouchables.
http://bookandnegative.altervista.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/frank_nitti.JPG

Maybe not . . .

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I love Indy and have high hopes for him, but he really is more of a luxury than necessity on this roster. He makes them a better team, no doubt, but if the Spurs could swap Batum for him or find a way to get my numero uno (Martell Webster), I think you've got to make that trade if your goal is to win now.

That's the smart basketball move, but it'd pain me to see it happen . . .

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Interesting.

Well I can't say that I'm upset that Simmons is gone. But Quin is definitely the surprise. Definitely sucks to be Jerrells right now though. I can see him on the phone with his agent right now:

"So you mean the Spurs traded me to the Hornets because they didn't need a PG...but the Hornets traded for another point guard and cut me. Then the Spurs signed a different PG after the Hornets cut me? Who'd the Spurs end up getting, Jason Kidd? Wait, who?! Who the fuck is that?"He was traded to give him an opportunity he wasn't going to get on the Spurs this season.

No one else has picked him up yet, so in that respect he's on the same level as Quinn, only with less NBA experience.

ohmwrecker
"We got Quinn! Trade Hill!" thread? Do it, Blackjack.

Darkwaters
I don't think there is anything except the "win now" idea. Duncan is out soon and the whole thing goes to shit. Sure, the Spurs will remain competitive for a playoff spot for several years with TP and some of the assorted talent they're picking up (Jefferson, Splitter, Blair, Anderson) but they're not going to be anywhere near a championship pedigree. I'd sure love for them to get one for the thumb before that happens.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
"We got Quinn! Trade Hill!" thread? Do it, Blackjack.It obviously means we can trade Parker now.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
And I'm not saying that's a deal that could be made, I'm just talking in the basketball sense . . .

EricB
11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I love Indy and have high hopes for him, but he really is more of a luxury than necessity on this roster. He makes them a better team, no doubt, but if the Spurs could swap Batum for him or find a way to get my numero uno (Martell Webster), I think you've got to make that trade if your goal is to win now.

That's the smart basketball move, but it'd pain me to see it happen . . .

Trade hill for a guy that just had back surgery?

Darkwaters
11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
He was traded to give him an opportunity he wasn't going to get on the Spurs this season.

No one else has picked him up yet, so in that respect he's on the same level as Quinn, only with less NBA experience.

Understood. But what I'm saying is that the Quinn signing is apparently saying that there was an opportunity on the Spurs (at least for the moment). I wondered if he turned it down knowing it was a short-term gig or if they even asked him?

Quinn might contribute, or he might not. All I'm saying is that Jerrells seemed like a perfect candidate for this type of signing considering his familiarity with the organization and obvious free agent status.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM

If this is what is needed why not jerrells?

That appears to be a typo. According to basketball-reference he's played 193 games. He started 25 games for Miami in 2008.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
"We got Quinn! Trade Hill!" thread? Do it, Blackjack.

:lol

That's not where I was going, and I'm sure you know that, but our sarcasm seems to get lost in translation without emoticons or blue ink.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Why are we trying to get smaller???? Why not Magnum Rolle, or Josh Boone, Earl Barron played very well last year would be a good big man pick up......Instead we sign another undersized 1-2????

The Spurs have one point guard on the roster. Hill's barely passable at that position and he's injured. If Parker sprains his ankle they're screwed. Temple's worth keeping as a project for a few more months but he can't run an offense.

EricB
Why are we trying to get smaller???? Why not Magnum Rolle, or Josh Boone, Earl Barron played very well last year would be a good big man pick up......Instead we sign another undersized 1-2????

Sigh....
Because none of the bigmen are hurt.. Hill is hurt temple is playing bad....

mingus
it would pain me to see Hill go as much as the next guy. he's a Spurs at heart, but the Spurs tried to groom him into a defensive juggernaut and it hasn't happened.

with virtually no one on the team last year besides the big three that could put the ball in the hole on a consistent basis, George Hill was expected to contribute offensively, which he did. this year the Spurs have offense, and like Blackjack said, Hill is more of a luxury at this point. he makes the team better, no doubt, but this team has a hole defensively at that position and IMO he's the guy you explore in trades to see if you can bring in a guy to fill that need. the guy i'd absolutely love to have is Casspi.

EricB
11-05-2010, 01:37 PM
The Spurs have one point guard on the roster. Hill's barely passable at that position and he's injured. If Parker sprains his ankle they're screwed. Temple's worth keeping as a project for a few more months but he can't run an offense.

Also the above bagmen he referenced stink on ice. Earl barron?!? Really?!!?!

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Understood. But what I'm saying is that the Quinn signing is apparently saying that there was an opportunity on the Spurs (at least for the moment). I wondered if he turned it down knowing it was a short-term gig or if they even asked him?

Quinn might contribute, or he might not. All I'm saying is that Jerrells seemed like a perfect candidate for this type of signing considering his familiarity with the organization and obvious free agent status.He might be overseas right now trying out for a team for all we know. If we're just looking for a practice body, I'd rather throw Squeaky Johnson a bone for staying in Austin longer than any sane player should. Quinn does have two NBA qualities though, so I can understand the tryout angle.

Texas_Ranger
11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
wtf??

TimmehC
11-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Because none of the bigmen are hurt..

Oh, look at that... you made Matt Bonner cry.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Oh, look at that... you made Matt Bonner cry.

Bonner shouldn't count in the big rotation.

Ocotillo
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Sigh....

Bonner is in street clothes.

Dang, 3 posts before I could get logged in and reply... :lol

Bruno
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Simmons is done. It sucked because on the paper he was a great fit for that team.

Something not to forget about Jerrells is that Spurs can't sign him right now. When a team trade away a player, they can't re-sing him for 30 days. It's possible that Quinn is a 2 weeks stopgap and Spurs goes back to Jerrells after that.

I do hope that this signing isn't because Hill is more injured than expected.

DespЏrado
Getting rid of Hill right now would be the same as getting rid of Antonio Daniels...Yes he is kind of a tweener like Daniels, but Daniels was far more difficult to replace than it originally seemed, and only Speedy Claxton managed to do it passably.

Hill is going to have a long career as a serviceable backup tweener. He's hard nosed, he can score at will, and he has good enough ball handling skills.

ohmwrecker
Also the above bagmen he referenced stink on ice. Earl barron?!? Really?!!?!

That dude is so desperate for a big man, he thinks anything over 6'9" is the answer to everything.

lol Shaq

TJastal
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
i also think the offense that George Hill brings (which isn't that much and by no means irreplaceable) isn't as needed with the emergence of RJ and perhaps even Tiago in the future (we'll see). The Spurs absolutely need to inject that starting lineup with defense, and i don't think Hill makes them respectable defensively because he hasn't really shown that he's very good in that respect (which is a shame because he has all the tools to be great).

Hill is more than respectable, defensively IMO. I think Hill's defense has been maligned a bit by some bogus stats being tossed about recently, and took a lot of blame for being burned by Nash last year, who burned a whole lotta folks.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Something not to forget about Jerrells is that Spurs can't sign him right now. When a team trade away a player, they can't re-sing him for 30 days.I did forget [shakes fist].

Chomag
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Sigh....

Wait EricB, did you already forget about MAtt Bonner? For shame!

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Simmons is done. It sucked because on the paper he was a great fit for that team.

Something not to forget about Jerrells is that Spurs can't sign him right now. When a team trade away a player, they can't re-sing him for 30 days. It's possible that Quinn is a 2 weeks stopgap and Spurs goes back to Jerrells after that.

I hope they finally had to face the reality that Hill isn't a point guard.

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM

That's not where I was going, and I'm sure you know that, but our sarcasm seems to get lost in translation without emoticons or blue ink.

I think we are getting close to sympatico.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Getting rid of Hill right now would be the same as getting rid of Antonio Daniels...Yes he is kind of a tweener, but he was far more difficult to replace than it originally seemed, and only Speedy Claxton managed to do it passably.

Hill is going to have a long career as a serviceable backup tweener. He's hard nosed, he can score at will, and he has good enough ball handling skills.

Amen to that. Add gritty, tough, durable to that list. He's also pretty damn good at getting to the line & can knock down free throws @ 80% clip which makes him a good option as a closer.

mingus
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Hill is more than respectable, defensively IMO. I think Hill's defense has been maligned a bit by some bogus stats being tossed about recently, and took a lot of blame for being burned by Nash last year, who burned a whole lotta folks.

yeah i don't really think he's going to be traded or that the Spurs are even exploring. just sort of threw that out there. it's still very early in the season, and Hill hasn't had much of an opportunity this year to show if he's improved on that end (or on the other end for that matter).

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 01:47 PM

As impressed as I was with Jerrells, I do think that Quinn is a better system PG.

Ditto.

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
yeah i don't really think he's going to be traded or that the Spurs are even exploring. just sort of threw that out there. it's still very early in the season, and Hill hasn't had much of an opportunity this year to show if he's improved on that end (or on the other end for that matter).

Hill won't get traded. His contract isn't valuable enough to get anything decent in return.

Blackjack
Getting rid of Hill right now would be the same as getting rid of Antonio Daniels...Yes he is kind of a tweener like Daniels, but Daniels was far more difficult to replace than it originally seemed, and only Speedy Claxton managed to do it passably.

You don't get rid of Hill unless you're getting exactly what you need, or think you need. Period.

It's just a matter of looking at the team and assessing strengths and deficiencies.

I have a high opinion of Hill, always have, and I'd hate to see him go, as he's one of my favorite players, but I'm just looking at it from a purely basketball standpoint.

He's a damn good player that most likely doesn't put this team over the top. If you can get a comparable talent with a different, more needed skill set, the legit 2-way wing or stopper with a 3-point shot, this team becomes one of the favorites (health willing).

That's all.

TJastal

Temple was apparently supposed to be the defacto backup point guard (hence letting go of Jerrels). I think it would be more factual to say he's the one who is not living up to expectations and is in need of a reality check.

I think they knew Hill was more of a combo guard a long time ago, like two years ago.

Russ
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
signing Quinn might or might not mean that Hill could be out a little longer than expected.

TimVP, you'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn.

STV9u3b-g7k

HarlemHeat37
Bobby Simmons was absolutely done last year, I still can't believe they wasted time even trying him out..experience pays, I guess..

Chris Quinn is a shitty player that occasionally shows flashes of being a decent 3rd string PG..when his shot is on, it's money, as he has shown vs. the Spurs in the past..he doesn't do anything else at a decent level, and he's one of the worst defensive players I've ever seen..

He is also very ugly..

DBMethos
Quinn will help about as much as Blake Ahearn helped us.

Surprised that Pop gave up on "The Masterpiece" so quickly though.

Bruno
11-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Spurs are even thinner than before at the SF spot, I hope Spurs will do something to solve that.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I think we are getting close to sympatico.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/01/02/5/301/3019466/a73d3f7c7f7e7146_88438293.jpg

My, man!

TDomination
Jerrells did look surprisingly good this pre-season, like an actual NBA player-prospect, but that was only one good stretch -- was Temple's play last year an aberration and did they think Jerrells looked to be the same? Don't know.

Quinn's an NBA player and one hell of a shooter, plays with a lot of "basketball toughness," so I can definitely see how Pop would like him -- plus he's from Notre Dame, and we all know how fond Pop is of Indiana.

Any relation to Brady Quinn?

TJastal

Then what the fuck was his job supposed to be then?

superbigtime
Second coming of Blake Ahearn, just a snappier dresser.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Spurs are even thinner than before at the SF spot, I hope Spurs will do something to solve that.

I disagree. Simmons was a disaster at the small forward spot. The Spurs would be better off with Bonner in that role.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Then what the fuck was his job supposed to be then?

Who? Parker's a point guard, Hill's an injured shooting guard, Temple's a defensive project who can't seem to dribble the ball at the moment, and Quinn is a veteran point guard who's an insurance policy until Hill is healthy and/or Temple has an epiphany.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Who? Parker's a point guard, Hill's an injured shooting guard, Temple's a defensive project who can't seem to dribble the ball at the moment, and Quinn is a veteran point guard who's an insurance policy until Hill is healthy and/or Temple has an epiphany.

Garret Temple. What was his job supposed to be if it wasn't backing up Parker?
"Defensive project" seems kind of ambiguous....

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Spurs are even thinner than before at the SF spot, I hope Spurs will do something to solve that.I didn't see Trey Gilder as a returning D-League player. I wonder where he is.

I'd like to see what a guy like Pat Ewing Jr. could do playing Simmons' role.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Chris Quinn is a shitty player that occasionally shows flashes of being a decent 3rd string PG..when his shot is on, it's money, as he has shown vs. the Spurs in the past..he doesn't do anything else at a decent level, and he's one of the worst defensive players I've ever seen..

If the Spurs are picking him up as anything more than a stopgap or flier, I believe they're thinking is to have him and Neal be their designated snipers. And because one plays at the 1 and the other at the 2, that allows them a better opportunity to keep one on the court if the matchup doesn't dictate well for the other -- similar how they couldn't find the minutes for Neal against the size of Phoenix's wings.

He is also very ugly..

He's no Tim Tebow.

Any relation to Brady Quinn?

I'm sure somewhere down the line there might be, the Irish like to drink (and screw), but not that I'm aware of.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Garret Temple. What was his job supposed to be if it wasn't backing up Parker?
"Defensive project" seems kind of ambiguous....

Temple's only continued to be here because he has a NBA defender's body and has some potential on that end. His play since July has been pretty bad. There's no way you face the early part of this season with him as your starter if Parker goes down. I'm okay with taking the gamble on him over Jerrells for what he could become, but the Spurs need someone that can run the point if Parker were to get hurt. The bonus is that Temple doesn't have to be cut to make room for Quinn.

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I never saw Simmons play SF once. He was always playing the small ball 4 when in, this doesn't change much for the wing position at all. I like the Quinn Signing also, They obviously feel Temple isn't playing that well either and are willing to give another PG a chance.

Also, those calling for Jerrells, the Spurs have spent a lot of time with Curtis and they know what he brings to the table, either they feel its not enough or they want to try out some others before having to commit to him or temple.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Also, those calling for Jerrells, the Spurs have spent a lot of time with Curtis and they know what he brings to the table, either they feel its not enough or they want to try out some others before having to commit to him or temple.

Or they can't sign him for 30 days because they traded him.

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
He's no Tim Tebow.

tee hee!

I've obviously been spending far too much time in the NBA forum.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Or they can't sign him for 30 days because they traded him.Kind of explains why he hasn't signed anywhere else -- even the Toros.

Obstructed_View
Temple was apparently supposed to be the defacto backup point guard (hence letting go of Jerrels). I think it would be more factual to say he's the one who is not living up to expectations and is in need of a reality check.

I think they knew Hill was more of a combo guard a long time ago, like two years ago.

Unless I'm mistaken, and Hill isn't the first guard off the bench subbing for Parker, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

DesignatedT
Or they can't sign him for 30 days because they traded him.

A couple of weeks i believe now correct? but yeah, i guess you might as well try someone else out while you are waiting for that, if that's the case.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Kind of explains why he hasn't signed anywhere else -- even the Toros.

Does the 30 day thing apply to D-league affiliates too?

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
A couple of weeks i believe now correct? but yeah, i guess you might as well try someone else out while you are waiting for that, if that's the case.

We'll have to see how abysmal Quinn's defense is. Maybe we can get Shaq to leave some insulting messages on his voicemail to get him going.

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 02:10 PM

yavozerb
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I have no problem with the release of simmons since all he was playing was the 4. I believe it was OV who indicated that with bonner coming back and Tiago also healthy, the 4 spot is no longer a need on this team, i agree with this take. I also agree that the pg spot on this roster is weak without Hill in the mix and needed to be deepend a bit. I have not seen Quinn play enough to say he is a good or bad signing, but if he can stretch the floor with his 3 pt shooting I am all for him. With the frontcourt being strengthend with Tiago and Tim playing well, 3 pt shooters are very important for this team to do well this season and I think well determine how deep in the playoffs they can go.

ChumpDumper
Does the 30 day thing apply to D-league affiliates too?No. The player actually signs the contract with the league itself. If the Toros still have rights to him, they would have first shot at him.

SenorSpur

^this

SenorSpur
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Which is why I believe he is more of a luxury on this roster, than a need.

Brazil
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM

I'm puzzled because if I followed well Hill is our back up PG (btw some fans here thought we could get rid of parker because we had hill the saviour), as others stated this signing could mean Hill injury is more serious than expected.

Obstructed_View
No. The player actually signs the contract with the league itself. If the Toros still have rights to him, they would have first shot at him.

Yeah, then we're in agreement. He's likely biding his time waiting to come back to the Spurs.

yavozerb

They are no more thinner than before waiving Simmons cause he could not play the 3 any longer. Simmons was strictly a 4 at this point in his career. The pg spot was weaker than the 3 spot right now I believe.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm puzzled because if I followed well Hill is our back up PG (btw some fans here thought we could get rid of parker because we had hill the saviour), as others stated this signing could mean Hill injury is more serious than expected.

I can only speak for myself. I never thought Hill was an adequate backup point guard, let alone a starter. If he's out for another week and Tony Parker gets hurt the Spurs are screwed because they'd be starting Gary Neal at point guard. All that said, I wouldn't get rid of Hill, particularly with how much the Spurs like three guard lineups.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
They are no more thinner than before waiving Simmons cause he could not play the 3 any longer. Simmons was strictly a 4 at this point in his career. The pg spot was weaker than the 3 spot right now I believe.

Pretty much, and I'm with Chump on Patrick Ewing Jr.

They obviously had some kind of desire or intrigue with Gist and having some kind of 3/4 tweener. I think Jr. brings great energy, athleticism and a decent enough upside for that particular role to give a look-see.

ivanfromwestwood
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
back to Quin, does he have any play making abilities and can he PnR?

duncan228
11-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Bench shuffle: Chris Quinn in, Bobby Simmons out (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/05/bench-shuffle-chris-quinn-in-bobby-simmons-out/)
by jmcdonald

...“It’s early in the season, and we had an opportunity to take a look at another player,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “Chris is somebody we think is a real good professional and a real good shooter. We’re just bringing him in. We’ll see how it works out.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/05/bench-shuffle-chris-quinn-in-bobby-simmons-out/

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
back to Quin, does he have any play making abilities and can he PnR?

Yes. He's actually a pretty clever pick-and-roll player. About as good a 3-point shooter as you'll find when he's given the opportunity and he really is a tough little sonbitch.

His problems won't be on the offensive end.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/05/bench-shuffle-chris-quinn-in-bobby-simmons-out/

So it's an early season flier. No more, no less.

Good news. Indy's injury doesn't appear to be anything serious and Quinn's a decent player to look at for the time being -- Simmons just wasn't.

11-05-2010, 02:32 PM
meh, waiving simmons and bringing in a steady backup PG is a no brainer. especially with hill injured and temple failing under the pressure of the NBA.

ivanfromwestwood
11-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes. He's actually a pretty clever pick-and-roll player. About as good a 3-point shooter as you'll find when he's given the opportunity and he really is a tough little sonbitch.

His problems won't be on the offensive end.
nice. i dont mind giving this kid a look as long as it doesn't cut into Neals mins.

Spurs Brazil
11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Do you think Gee is safe now?

I think Quin will be gone in 2 weeks. Temple will have to suck even more to lost this battle

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Do you think Gee is safe now?Until they have to start paying him more at least. Hopefully he gets Simmons' minutes.

I think Quin will be gone in 2 weeks. Temple will have to suck even more to lost this battleProbably. I think the plan was to assign Temple to Austin anyway. Their camp starts next week.

For those nervous about big man injuries, I really wouldn't be too concerned as long as Cousin is still on the Toros.

yavozerb
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
A little insight on Chris Quinn from draftexpress:

NBA Scouting Reports: Filling in the Blanks- the Point Guards
October 9, 2009
Overview: Steady, but unspectacular back-up point guard who sees minutes due to his ability to play low-mistake basketball. Posseses average size and questionable athleticism for an NBA point guard. Lacks great physical tools, but proves to be a very heady, fundamentally sound player, with a microscopic turnover rate. Plays like a veteran, and has since the middle of his rookie year. Very capable outside shooter who doubles as an efficient distributor. Lacks ideal defensive tools. Developed into quite a player during his time at Notre Dame. Really showed off his point guard skills as a senior. Picture perfect shooting mechanics have always been an asset for him. Didn’t wow anyone with what he brought to the table and ultimately went undrafted. Found himself in a perfect situation in Miami. Saw minutes as a rookie and was a key backup in his second year pro. Fits the third point guard mold perfectly with his smart play.

Offense: A consistent playmaker who is smart with the ball, can hit the three, but lacks the versatility and athleticism to be a high level offensive player, particularly inside the arc. Gets about a quarter of his touches as the ball handler in pick and roll situations and roughly forty-percent of his touches in spot-up situations. Very capable jump shooter with excellent form, nice elevation, and great range. Shoots nearly half of his shots from beyond the arc. Doesn’t force too many contested jumpers, and doesn’t change his form at all when he does. Capable of hitting shots moving in either direction coming off of screens. Great catch and shoot threat who isn’t too bad off the dribble either. Doesn’t create enough separation to do much damage around the basket or with his pull up game. Limited by his size, strength, and leaping ability. Won’t go one-on-one unless he knows he’s not at a disadvantage. Improving his floater. An extremely capable point guard who has improved subtly since entering the League. Had a tendency to hold the ball for too long before giving it up in half court sets, but is considerably more decisive now. Has played with the poise of a much older player since his rookie year. Won’t make the tough pass very often, but will almost always make a smart one. Not a flashy ball handler, or one who will dribble himself into trouble. Plays the point guard spot in a low-risk, low reward manner that makes him a nice fit for teams with firepower at other positions. Catch and shoot ability is a nice bonus, since it compensates for what he lacks as a shot-creator.

Defense: Smart defender who whose lack of lateral quickness and size makes him a liability at times. Gets beaten off the dribble frequently, putting pressure on his teammates to help him. Doesn’t get in a great stance, but will give himself a cushion if he knows he’s at a disadvantage. Not going to tip many passes with his length, but will come up with an occasional loose ball due to his ability to anticipate. Shows more effort when his man catches the ball in the midrange, but lacks the length to effectively contest shots and the recovery speed to prevent his man from getting an open lane by running off of screens. Rebounds the ball at a decent rate for a player his size, but doesn’t do any one thing well enough defensively to compensate for the penetration he concedes.

Brazil
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I can only speak for myself. I never thought Hill was an adequate backup point guard, let alone a starter. If he's out for another week and Tony Parker gets hurt the Spurs are screwed because they'd be starting Gary Neal at point guard. All that said, I wouldn't get rid of Hill, particularly with how much the Spurs like three guard lineups.

For me Hill is not a PG at all but with Manu he is more than enough to be the back up PG cauz Manu will run the Offense anyway.

If Hill was out one more week and Parker get injured, Manu would play PG.

In my head we have PG: TP, back up PG: Hill with Manu taking care of running the Offense, insurance PG: Manu. Therefore I see 3 guys for the job, I don't see where Quinn is fitting.

Now we can argue that Manu could be injured too but if TP / Manu and/or Hill are out then our problems will be bigger than the back up PG job.

Solid D
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Quinn had a good game versus the Spurs a couple of years ago but he is a hot and cold shooter. The thing Chris has going for him is he is NBA experienced and can step in and play. The disappointing thing to me about this move is that I felt the Spurs needed a guard that was defensive-minded that could keep up with quick PGs. When I surveyed the available PGs out there a couple of weeks ago, I thought about Quinn but moved on because I felt he was offensive-minded.

I liked Patrick Beverley because he's defensive-minded, he can pick up a steal here and there, he can get to the line, plus he has a unique knack for rebounding for a 6-1 guard.

I doubt Quinn will stick but we'll see.

Darkwaters
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

I agree. Probably a rental. Comparisons to Blake Ahearn's situation are definitely in order.

However, if this signing serves as a wake-up call to Temple then it might be a very good signing before it's all over. I can only hope. Temple looks like he could be a savvy third PG option because of his ability to also fill in at other places. Too bad he hasn't shown that in a minute or two...or three.

Cane
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Quinn should help when it comes to not turning the ball over and being able to space the floor. If he shows up during the games he can be decent depth.

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Beverley would be an interesting signing..he looked pretty good in the preseason, especially after a shaky Summer League..most Heat fans wanted to keep him IIRC, but they had to keep Magloire, since they already lack big men..

His defense and rebounding both lived up to the hype..his offense lived up to it too though, since he was just as bad as advertised..I don't know if he would accept a D-League invite, since he's an interesting prospect that other teams will look at, and I don't think he would have a spot here..

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Quinn and Ahearn aren't really comparable..Quinn has actually legitimately been on NBA teams for a long period of time before..I understand the thought process, since they're both small, White guys that can shoot, but it's not really the same..

Darkwaters
11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Quinn and Ahearn aren't really comparable..Quinn has actually legitimately been on NBA teams for a long period of time before..I understand the thought process, since they're both small, White guys that can shoot, but it's not really the same..

No, they are pretty much the same. While Quinn has NBA experience, hes a very very very low ceiling kind of player with no upside. Hes not going to bring anything too terribly special to this team and will be the most expendible player we have on the payroll until the day hes cut (barring a series of unfortunate events to multiple key and sub-key players).

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Quinn had a good game versus the Spurs a couple of years ago but he is a hot and cold shooter. The thing Chris has going for him is he is NBA experienced and can step in and play. The disappointing thing to me about this move is that I felt the Spurs needed a guard that was defensive-minded that could keep up with quick PGs. When I surveyed the available PGs out there a couple of weeks ago, I thought about Quinn but moved on because I felt he was offensive-minded.

I liked Patrick Beverley because he's defensive-minded, he can pick up a steal here and there, he can get to the line, plus he has a unique knack for rebounding for a 6-1 guard.

I don't know if he'll stick either, but with so many of the other young players seeming to play smart, determined defense, I'm much less concerned with Quinn's defense. If you can get him to run the offense and give effort on the other end he'll do fine.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
No, they are pretty much the same. While Quinn has NBA experience, hes a very very very low ceiling kind of player with no upside. Hes not going to bring anything too terribly special to this team and will be the most expendible player we have on the payroll until the day hes cut (barring a series of unfortunate events to multiple key and sub-key players).

Your first two thoughts are in direct conflict. They aren't even remotely the same.

Spurs Brazil
11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
#spurs injury report vs. Rockets: Bonner (ankle) still out. Hill (neck) upgraded to probable.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I do like Beverly. I'd love to see him in the program and have him develop that jumper some.

But I like the idea of trying to have two marksman at the 1 and 2, just in case matchups dictate one can't be played.

I love that the Spurs finally look to have the ability to play BIG successfully but that means they're going to need perimeter shooting, something they've lacked the last couple of years.

So I'm cool with this tryout. I'd like to see a Patrick Ewing Jr. or someone of that ilk as well -- I just don't see where Gee fits in this year or enough future promise to pass up looking at other options.

duncan228
11-05-2010, 03:22 PM
What the Quinn/Simmons swap means (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/05/what-the-quinnsimmons-swap-means/)
by Tim Griffin

...Popovich also said the move of adding Quinn on a non-guaranteed contract isn’t necessarily related to Simmons’ waiving.

“It’s not a tit-for-tat situation,” Popovich said. “You make a mistake when you think one is for the other.”

...The move adds depth to San Antonio’s backcourt and might be related to George Hill’s recovery from neck spasms sustained Monday night. Hill has not returned to the lineup after he he was a victim of a flagrant-2 foul by Los Angeles Clippers power forward Craig Smith. It could also push Garrett Temple for playing time at the end of the bench.

And it also will make for some rotation in San Antonio’s big players without Simmons, who played both at small forward and power forward. With DeJuan Blair’s early slump after four games, Popovich could give some of his inside minutes to Tiago Splitter. Blair could then play more at power forward.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/05/what-the-quinnsimmons-swap-means/

TJastal
11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I never saw Simmons play SF once. He was always playing the small ball 4 when in, this doesn't change much for the wing position at all. I like the Quinn Signing also, They obviously feel Temple isn't playing that well either and are willing to give another PG a chance.

Have you ever disliked a F.O. move?

SenorSpur
11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
A little insight on Chris Quinn from draftexpress:

NBA Scouting Reports: Filling in the Blanks- the Point Guards
October 9, 2009
Overview: Steady, but unspectacular back-up point guard who sees minutes due to his ability to play low-mistake basketball. Posseses average size and questionable athleticism for an NBA point guard. Lacks great physical tools, but proves to be a very heady, fundamentally sound player, with a microscopic turnover rate. Plays like a veteran, and has since the middle of his rookie year. Very capable outside shooter who doubles as an efficient distributor. Lacks ideal defensive tools. Developed into quite a player during his time at Notre Dame. Really showed off his point guard skills as a senior. Picture perfect shooting mechanics have always been an asset for him. Didn’t wow anyone with what he brought to the table and ultimately went undrafted. Found himself in a perfect situation in Miami. Saw minutes as a rookie and was a key backup in his second year pro. Fits the third point guard mold perfectly with his smart play.

Offense: A consistent playmaker who is smart with the ball, can hit the three, but lacks the versatility and athleticism to be a high level offensive player, particularly inside the arc. Gets about a quarter of his touches as the ball handler in pick and roll situations and roughly forty-percent of his touches in spot-up situations. Very capable jump shooter with excellent form, nice elevation, and great range. Shoots nearly half of his shots from beyond the arc. Doesn’t force too many contested jumpers, and doesn’t change his form at all when he does. Capable of hitting shots moving in either direction coming off of screens. Great catch and shoot threat who isn’t too bad off the dribble either. Doesn’t create enough separation to do much damage around the basket or with his pull up game. Limited by his size, strength, and leaping ability. Won’t go one-on-one unless he knows he’s not at a disadvantage. Improving his floater. An extremely capable point guard who has improved subtly since entering the League. Had a tendency to hold the ball for too long before giving it up in half court sets, but is considerably more decisive now. Has played with the poise of a much older player since his rookie year. Won’t make the tough pass very often, but will almost always make a smart one. Not a flashy ball handler, or one who will dribble himself into trouble. Plays the point guard spot in a low-risk, low reward manner that makes him a nice fit for teams with firepower at other positions. Catch and shoot ability is a nice bonus, since it compensates for what he lacks as a shot-creator.

Defense: Smart defender who whose lack of lateral quickness and size makes him a liability at times. Gets beaten off the dribble frequently, putting pressure on his teammates to help him. Doesn’t get in a great stance, but will give himself a cushion if he knows he’s at a disadvantage. Not going to tip many passes with his length, but will come up with an occasional loose ball due to his ability to anticipate. Shows more effort when his man catches the ball in the midrange, but lacks the length to effectively contest shots and the recovery speed to prevent his man from getting an open lane by running off of screens. Rebounds the ball at a decent rate for a player his size, but doesn’t do any one thing well enough defensively to compensate for the penetration he concedes.

In some respects, this kid sounds like Jacque Vaughn reincarnated.

If there is one thing the Spurs need is low-mistake production from the backup PG position - even if it's just for spot minutes. The turnovers on this team are entirely too high.

Anybody know how Quinn compares to Jerrells?

SenorSpur
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Is Beverley still out there?

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Shaq approves of this signing :)

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Have you ever disliked a F.O. move?

What is there to like or dislike about this move? Simmons obviously was pretty terrible and there just trying out some other guy who probably won't last beyond 10 days.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Pop must've remembered this play by Quinn and we all know Pop's penchant for signing players who have had success against him.

e7UCDcKJ2ZU

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Is Beverley still out there?Apparently was about to sign with the Bulls today but is held up to a potential trade.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/25669634

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Pop must've remembered this play by Quinn and we all know Pop's penchant for signing players who have had success against him.

e7UCDcKJ2ZU

yeah im sure thats it.

rfbulletdude
11-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Scola

Chomag
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM

This is kind of how I'm looking at it. NO big deal losing Simmons but the direction the Spurs went with replacing that spot with. Another very small player that can shoot. Spurs are log-jammed with small players ,and a shooter or offencive player is the last thing the Spurs need to be looking for right now. Spurs offence is amazingly good right now but the defence is looking scary bad.

crc21209
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Although it does make us smaller, I like the move. :tu Bobby Simmons was old and done...end of story. He couldnt really move his feet on D and although his shot was O.K., its not like it was money. Watching Chris Quinn awhile back, hes decent, he doesnt absolutely suck thats for sure. He's a PG who can see the floor and stretch the floor with his 3 pt. shooting. It MIGHT signal the end for Temple though, whos been playing like shit. Although I do think this also signals that Pop is impressed with James Anderson and is willing to roll with him the rest of the year, and maybe even Gee can get some spot minutes too here and there...hell...better Gee than Simmons.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Is Beverley still out there?

The Spurs already have one of him named Temple in a much better package. A defensive minded point guard who can't run the team isn't really what the Spurs need right now, particularly an undersized one.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm glad the Spurs are playing well enough throughout their depth that we're hemming and hawing over a guy who's likely just an insurance policy and won't get more than a few minutes of PT while he's a Spur.

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
This is kind of how I'm looking at it. NO big deal losing Simmons but the direction the Spurs went with replacing that spot with. Another very small player that can shoot. Spurs are log-jammed with small players ,and a shooter or offencive player is the last thing the Spurs need to be looking for right now. Spurs offence is amazingly good right now but the defence is looking scary bad.

Quinn isn't replacing Simmons. He is filling a hole (one of two) the Spurs have on the roster. Simmons was waived because he is the most expendable. Hopefully, the Spurs are still keeping a look out to fill that other spot. Gee and Temple are in the hot seat, for sure.

The defense is coming together. I see improvement. Splitter is going to make a big difference on that end.

anakha
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm glad the Spurs are playing well enough throughout their depth that we're hemming and hawing over a guy who's likely just an insurance policy and won't get more than a few minutes of PT while he's a Spur.

This. A thousand fucking times, this.

jestersmash
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Chris quinn appears to be a statistical nightmare at first glance -

Career 29.8% Field Goal shooting, career 23.5% 3 point shooting.

But, then you realize he's only actually played in 19 games throughout his entire career, and it becomes obvious that the sample size is clearly not sufficient to be able to make any judgments at this moment in time.

Obviously he'll get minutes somewhere and we'll see what he can do. Until then I have absolutely nothing else to say, I can't even begin to imagine what this guy might bring to the spurs because I no virtually nothing about him.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 03:57 PM

There wouldn't be much else to talk bout today.:lol

jestersmash
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_quinn/career_stats.html

Phenomanul
Wouldn't keeping Kirk Penney been a better proposition?

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM

But, then you realize he's only actually played in 19 games throughout his entire career, and it becomes obvious that the sample size is clearly not sufficient to be able to make any judgments at this moment in time.

Obviously he'll get minutes somewhere and we'll see what he can do. Until then I have absolutely nothing else to say, I can't even begin to imagine what this guy might bring to the spurs because I no virtually nothing about him.Those stats are wrong.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quinnch01.html

anakha
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
^^ What site is everyone referencing that says he's only played 19 games?

This site ('http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quinnch01.html') probably has more accurate info.

E: Chump http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-argh.gif

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Wouldn't keeping Kirk Penney been a better proposition?Not a point guard.

In this case keeping Jerrells would have been a better proposition had they been able to predict the future. As it is, Jerrells could be back within weeks.

jestersmash
11-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Those stats are wrong.

Ahh interesting.

My source was nba.com (linked in my previous post) but basketball reference appears to have more reasonable figures.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Obviously he'll get minutes somewhere and we'll see what he can do. Until then I have absolutely nothing else to say, I can't even begin to imagine what this guy might bring to the spurs because I no virtually nothing about him.

Actualy from what it looks like he has played around 190 games or so it looks like. I made the same mistake earlyer when I saw that stat which is a typo.

(Edit: and looks like I was beaten to it as I was loging back on. What chump has said said.)

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Ahh interesting.

My source was nba.com (linked in my previous post) but basketball reference appears to have more reasonable figures.Yeah, I thought the NBA numbers looked fishy since I knew Quinn had played many more games, so I checked the other site.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Chris Quinn sucks. If Pop wants a decent backup PG who can shoot 3's, he should work a trade w/ the twolves for Ridnour.

Example: Trade Bonner & Gary Neal for Luke Ridnour. Kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone :D

ChumpDumper
E: Chump http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-argh.gifLove that emoticon.

HarlemHeat37
Ahh interesting.

My source was nba.com (linked in my previous post) but basketball reference appears to have more reasonable figures.

You looked at preseason stats on NBA.com..

Phenomanul
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Not a point guard.

In this case keeping Jerrells would have been a better proposition had they been able to predict the future. As it is, Jerrells could be back within weeks.

Fair enough... seems to me Penney's playmaking ability is vastly underrated though... having seen most of New Zealand's game's at the WBC I thought he did well in that department (aside from his better than average SG instincts playing without the ball)...

Bruno
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
The 19 games on nba.com are his career average for preseason games.

His whole stats:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_quinn/career_stats.html

Phenomanul
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Chris Quinn sucks. If Pop wants a decent backup PG who can shoot 3's, he should work a trade w/ the twolves for Ridnour.

Example: Trade Bonner & Gary Neal for Luke Ridnour. Kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone :D

IIRC Ridnour and Parker don't get along off the court...

benefactor
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
The Spurs need a backup point and don't need Simmons. I'm not sure what there is to discuss here.

Chomag
11-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Really? Did something happen between them in a game or something?

Edit- sorry I ment off the court.

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Ahh interesting.

You were accidently looking at pre-season averages.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Not a point guard.

Really, how hard was it to predict that Garret Temple couldn't run an offense or handle the point guard responsibilities??

DJB
11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
LOL @ people thinking Simmons is a loss.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Non-issue.

Kobe & Matt Barnes weren't exactly the best of friends. Barnes also wasn't chummy w/ Odom either.

Yet here they are playing great together and getting along now that they're all wearing the same colors.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Really, how hard was it to predict that Garret Temple couldn't run an offense or handle the point guard responsibilities??I think you've proven your inability to discuss basketball.

Now you're on about Matt fucking Barnes again.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I thought the NBA numbers looked fishy since I knew Quinn had played many more games, so I checked the other site.

And because it was pointed out already. :)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4723155&postcount=61

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
And because it was pointed out already. :)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4723155&postcount=61I did it independently. :toast

ohmwrecker
11-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Where are you guys getting these stats from?

Chris Quinn has played 193 games, started 26. Shoots 40.5% FG & 30.9% from the three . . . career stats.

Edit: Oops! I did not see that this was already covered.

Pauleta14
11-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Where does that come from??!!

Ditty
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I was hoping the spurs would sigb de'sean butler or stanley robinson :( o well luckily this contract is not guarnteed ,but I don't see a real reason for this signing becuase it's not like hill will be out for long. Weird.

stxspurs
11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Great we just got smaller. Awesome.

and whiter!!!

JustinJDW
11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't like the move. Now we only have one Small Forward.

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Don't like the move. Now we only have one Small Forward.

Simmons didn't play SF to begin with. He only played the 4 position.

The_Worlds_finest
11-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Lets see how he does.

TD 21
11-05-2010, 05:36 PM

The Spurs should be fine in terms of outside shooters. For whatever reason, Anderson is almost forgotten as a shooter at this point. Jefferson will soon come crashing back down to earth, but even when he does, I'd be surprised if he doesn't shoot at least his career percentage from three. Throw in Ginobili, Hill, Bonner and Neal and their should be enough there.

Ginobili should be fine, even when paired with Hill. They're interchangeable, in terms of handling the point. It's not like last season when Parker was out and Mason was struggling, which led to (when Hill was resting) Ginobili often being paired with Bogans in the back court. That would wear him out. Playing under 30 mpg, playing more with Parker and always playing with another ball handling guard period, shouldn't.

Even in the event he's not fine, it's not going to matter. Quinn is not going to crack the rotation. The times the Spurs use a fourth guard, it'll be Neal.

Bobby Simmons getting waived isn't too much of a surprise. Barely getting any minutes with Bonner out wasn't a good sign. And now that he's basically a power forward, being the sixth big behind Duncan, Blair, Splitter, McDyess and Bonner made him expendable.

But Chris Quinn? Not a big fan. He can shoot the ball but that's about it. Gives effort on D and decent ball-handler and passer ... but overall a not too interesting prospect with a low ceiling.

Signing Quinn could be a sign that Temple is a goner (either to Austin or the waiver wire). Temple has been pretty damn horrible so perhaps the Spurs view Quinn as a player who can step in right away and backup Parker while Hill is out. Quinn could step in and be better than Temple just due to being a better shooter and ballhandler.

Speaking of Hill, signing Quinn might or might not mean that Hill could be out a little longer than expected.

I think signing Quinn had nothing to do with Hill being out (he'll probably play tomorrow) and was less about Temple being a goner and more about the experiment of turning Temple into a PG having run it's course. If he's to stay full time with the Spurs, he'll probably have to do it as more of a wing defender than anything. He'll still remain an emergency option at point, though.

I don't expect Quinn to last long. I think the Spurs are just flat out auditioning players for their 12th and 13th roster spots and may not settle on them for some time. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more players are brought in over the next few months.

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I was hoping the spurs would sigb de'sean butler or stanley robinson :( o well luckily this contract is not guarnteed ,but I don't see a real reason for this signing becuase it's not like hill will be out for long. Weird.

I'd love to see both these guys in SA for 10-days as they seem like good, team-oriented high-reward/low-risk bets.

I realize Butler is still injured, but if he's healing on schedule, he should be ready for contact drills by Dec and is capable of being twice the player Gee is. And with Simmons gone, there's a direct need for an athletic utility big like Robinson for the third string. The name is right, too.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Over the last few years the Spurs have tried out marginal players throughout the first half of the season. I don't see any difference here except there could be slightly more of a need in this case with Hill's injury.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 05:54 PM
1 by 1, all of Pop's pet projects are striking out. Simmons gone. Temple on his way out. I'm guessing Gary Neal will be the next to hit the skids.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Why are you so filled with hate?

DesignatedT
11-05-2010, 05:58 PM
still mad about RMJ's departure eh? :lmao

TJastal
11-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Why are you so filled with hate?

Is this question addressing me? Or is this some vain attempt to reach a higher deity?

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Is this question addressing me? Or is this some vain attempt to reach a higher deity?Why would I ask God this question on a message board?

It's not like he nixed a Tyrus Thomas trade.

ducks
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
8 pages for this wtf

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
8 pages for this wtfWhat else is there to talk about?

ducks
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM
according to fns last night spurs want manu to play more minutes this year

good bad or idifferent

the blazers choke job last night

the spurs next game
how spurs should attack

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
according to fns last night spurs want manu to play more minutes this year

good bad or idifferent

the blazers choke job last night

the spurs next game
how spurs should attackAll fine topics.

For other threads.

duncan228
11-05-2010, 06:36 PM
48MoH chimes in.

Spurs hand Bobby Simmons the pink slip, bring in another point guard (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Andrew A. McNeill
48 Minutes of Hell

Today’s announcement from the San Antonio Spurs is a curious one. Not the part about Bobby Simmons getting waived — that didn’t surprise me much — but that the Spurs signed point guard Chris Quinn. To the press release (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_chris_quinn_101105.html):

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed point guard Chris Quinn. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed. At the same time, the Spurs announced that Bobby Simmons has been placed on waivers.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-waive-bobby-simmons-sign-chris-quinn#more-10799)

mountainballer
11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I like this signing. and I do think it makes a lot of sense to balance the roster.
I also don't expect much from Quinn, he is a 3rd stringer and it would be naive to think he will suddenly be more with the Spurs. but he does add some qualities to the roster. (that's why I use a depth chart with the position our players would play, if you want to use them based on their capabilities)
Quinn is a true PG, most of our guards are SG, who can play some point.
Quinn is smart, he can bring the ball and won't turn it over. never. Pop values that. that's what kept JV on the team. (and not his defense in the first place).

I agree that the Quinn signing and the cutting of Simmons are two different moves. Spurs now even more lack a body at SF/PF. not a 3rd stringer like Quinn, those guys you find via free agency at this point. we need a 2nd stringer, or call it a legit back up. that player we can only get via trade.

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't think the team is as nervous about the lineup as posters here.

Anderson is the backup SF. That's pretty clear.

There are four active big men and Bonner will make it five when he comes back.

I'd like it if they got someone else, but won't be surprised if they stand pat as far as rotation players go for months.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 06:51 PM

I'd like it if they got someone else, but won't be surprised if they stand pat as far as rotation players go for months.

So who's going to run backup point then?

ChumpDumper
11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
So who's going to run backup point then?Hill and Manu. Pretty much as always.

Big P
11-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Interesting...

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
The Spurs should be fine in terms of outside shooters.

Better to have one too many than not enough, as has been the case the last couple of years -- Mason's clutch play and Bonner's percentages didn't translate to the postseason.

For whatever reason, Anderson is almost forgotten as a shooter at this point.

I don't understand how. It's Neal and Anderson that are their snipers, everyone else is someone capable or a streaky to decent shooter.

At this point, the Spurs are in line to need Anderson playing a role similar to that of Jackson in '03. People laughed when I suggested he should start as soon as possible, whenever he's up to speed and playing at full bore, but I still maintain the same belief.

By year's end I believe Anderson and Splitter need to be be starting for the Spurs. And I've recently come to the thinking that it should be Parker, Anderson, Jefferson, Splitter and Duncan when it's all said and done. At least that's the lineup I believe they need to have, meaning Anderson and Splitter are deserving of their roles, if they have any hope of winning a championship.

For now, I'm fine with them sticking to Blair in the starting lineup. His play hasn't exactly warranted it but I believe these are necessary growing pains. Better to deal with them now while Splitter's getting up to speed and the team can manage to win in spite of them.

As for Quinn, he's nothing more than a flier. Someone who'd be nice to have if he can pan out. Like I said earlier, between he and Neal the Spurs would have a choice of snipers on the bench should the opposition be too big on the wing or the Spurs need some 3-point shooting at the point for a stretch. It's just another option and a steady hand to take the wheel when needed.

Agree. :tu

mattyc
11-05-2010, 07:02 PM

This.

Simmons would have worked a few years ago, but he really didn't look like he has it in him any more. Good luck to the lad though.

Not fussed about Quinn. Can't see him sticking with the team long but might fill a nice stopgap for some minutes over the coming weeks.

roycrikside
11-05-2010, 07:03 PM

I don't like this move at all. Simmons gave the Spurs some much-needed toughness and an enforcer type, like they had with Massenburg. My favorite part of the Clippers game was the way he popped Griffin "accidentally" after Craig Smith clotheslined Hill with a cheap shot. Simmons made it look like he was going for the ball, but I think he absolutely knew what he was doing and sent a message there, like, "You hit one of our guys, we'll go after your best guy."

I really thought it was the kind of thing that would impress Pop and endear him to his new teammates. Guess I was wrong.

Spursmania
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Wtf?

TJastal
11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Better to have one too many than not enough, as has been the case the last couple of years -- Mason's clutch play and Bonner's percentages didn't translate to the postseason.

I don't understand how. It's Neal and Anderson that are their snipers, everyone else is someone capable or a streaky to decent shooter.

At this point, the Spurs are in line to need Anderson playing a role similar to that of Jackson in '03. People laughed when I suggested he should start as soon as possible, whenever he's up to speed and playing at full bore, but I still maintain the same belief.

By year's end I believe Anderson and Splitter need to be be starting for the Spurs. And I've recently come to the thinking that it should be Parker, Anderson, Jefferson, Splitter and Duncan when it's all said and done. At least that's the lineup I believe they need to have, meaning Anderson and Splitter are deserving of their roles, if they have any hope of winning a championship.

For now, I'm fine with them sticking to Blair in the starting lineup. His play hasn't exactly warranted it but I believe these are necessary growing pains. Better to deal with them now while Splitter's getting up to speed and the team can manage to win in spite of them.

As for Quinn, he's nothing more than a flier. Someone who'd be nice to have if he can pan out. Like I said earlier, between he and Neal the Spurs would have a choice of snipers on the bench should the opposition be too big on the wing or the Spurs need some 3-point shooting at the point for a stretch. It's just another option and a steady hand to take the wheel when needed.

Agree. :tu

I think its pretty silly to shove Anderson into the starting lineup and put an enormous pressure on his shoulders. Manu is doing just fine right where he is, and so is Anderson.

Splitter otoh, I can see where a move maybe necessary.

timtonymanu
11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Meh. Simmons sucked anyway.

Temple has been disappointing too so giving Quinn a shot makes sense. It's not like we're signing a major rotation player anyway so I don't see the big deal in giving him a chance.

admiralsnackbar
11-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Over the last few years the Spurs have tried out marginal players throughout the first half of the season. I don't see any difference here except there could be slightly more of a need in this case with Hill's injury.

Oh, I know that, man :lol Half the fun of being a fan is having completely unrealistic expectations with respect to unknown quantities.

TD 21
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I like this signing. and I do think it makes a lot of sense to balance the roster.
I also don't expect much from Quinn, he is a 3rd stringer and it would be naive to think he will suddenly be more with the Spurs. but he does add some qualities to the roster. (that's why I use a depth chart with the position our players would play, if you want to use them based on their capabilities)
Quinn is a true PG, most of our guards are SG, who can play some point.
Quinn is smart, he can bring the ball and won't turn it over. never. Pop values that. that's what kept JV on the team. (and not his defense in the first place).

I agree that the Quinn signing and the cutting of Simmons are two different moves. Spurs now even more lack a body at SF/PF. not a 3rd stringer like Quinn, those guys you find via free agency at this point. we need a 2nd stringer, or call it a legit back up. that player we can only get via trade.

When you have a guard with the play making capabilities of Ginobili, or Bryant, or James (even though he's a forward...defensively, at least), or Wade, or Roy, or Johnson, you don't need three true PG's. Because Ginobili doesn't have the durability to play 35-40 mpg and carry the offense throughout, obviously at least one other plus ball handler/creator is needed, which the Spurs have in Parker. Surrounding them with guys who can fill in the gaps (assist them with ball handling, but play off the ball more often than not, offer quality spot up shooting, defend, etc.) is more important than bringing in a true PG.

Quinn may be a PG, but if he's to play even one meaningful (non blowout) second for the Spurs, it'll likely be more so spotting up off the ball. The Spurs aren't going to give the ball to Quinn and have him run the show when they have Parker, Ginobili and Hill.

I agree.

The hand wringing about the "lack of a true backup PG" continues to amaze. If Parker were to miss significant time, I get it, it would be nice to have another true PG. But healthy, this team is more than fine at that position.

Up front, it would be nice to have a sixth big for insurance purposes, but if two injuries arise to the bigs at once, they could always bring in some run of the mill stiff on a non-guaranteed contract.

SF is the position I'm most concerned about, more so from a depth standpoint (or lack thereof) than anything. An injury to one of Jefferson or Anderson and Ginobili would probably be pressed into a lot more SF minutes than he should be playing.

So who's going to run backup point then?

A combination of Ginobili/Hill, which is more than adequate

I agree, but they've got to be able to play. Quinn isn't good enough to crack the rotation.

"Somewhat capable or streaky to decent" is what most teams have. I don't see a whole lot of teams that have four or five legit snipers in their rotation. Speaking of snipers, Bonner should be considered one. Sure, he can't shoot under pressure, but he's still a legit 40% 3-point shooter for his career in the regular season. It's really three snipers if Anderson and Neal prove to be legit.

If you're talking about doing it under pressure (as in the playoffs) and are excluding Bonner for that reason, then I agree, but the point remains. In the highly unlikely event Quinn is around at that time, barring a serious rash of injuries, he wouldn't be in the rotation anyway and the same goes for any other minimal type the Spurs bring in between now and then.

I agree with Splitter needing to eventually become a starter this season (the way it's going for Blair, that could happen sooner than later), but not Anderson. I'm also fine with sticking with Blair as the starter for now.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I think its pretty silly to shove Anderson into the starting lineup and put an enormous pressure on his shoulders. Manu is doing just fine right where he is, and so is Anderson.

Splitter otoh, I can see where a move maybe necessary.

Long-term/short-term.

That's just the way it is with the roster as currently constructed. Anderson's that important to their championship aspirations if this is the roster they plan on going with, sans a trade or 13th or 14th players.

I'm not sure if it's because where the Spurs drafted him, the injury he had that didn't let people see who he was, the fact that he's not even playing at full bore since returning from injury, the fact that he looks 35, or maybe some combination of the aforementioned, but people seem to think James is just some "guy."

James Anderson was a stud college player, Big 12 Player of the Year, and he possesses NBA size, skill and athleticism. He's humble and a hard worker. He doesn't get phased by much if anything; this is not some guy trying to convince himself that he can play at this level. He's got that "star" confidence in himself and his abilities. He's more than capable of being a solid role player for this team, which is what I believe he needs to be.

I just like the makeup and continuity of the team much more when Tony's got a catch-and-shoot player on the floor alongside of him and I think Anderson and RJ makes the most sense. Then you've got Manu, Blair and Hill coming off the bench to ignite the second unit.

I'm talking long-term when I suggest Anderson and Splitter starting, not how someone is playing today. They're who I believe need to be starting by year's end for this team to have their best chance. Again, sans a trade.

Blackjack
11-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I agree, but they've got to be able to play. Quinn isn't good enough to crack the rotation.

He's a third-stringer. He's an option, not someone guaranteed minutes -- somewhat of a Kerr at the tail end of his career.

If you're talking about doing it under pressure (as in the playoffs) and are excluding Bonner for that reason, then I agree, but the point remains.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was alluding to.

In the highly unlikely event Quinn is around at that time, barring a serious rash of injuries, he wouldn't be in the rotation anyway and the same goes for any other minimal type the Spurs bring in between now and then.

Again, best-case scenario, he's an option. Third-string point guard and designated shooter.

bigdog
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Simmons wasn't much to this team anyways, but I'm not a huge fan of the Quinn signing. I do think he is a pretty decent player, though. He can come in and shoot the ball well, and is a decent passer and ball handler.

Trill Clinton
11-05-2010, 07:45 PM
So we lose a scrub to gain one? what thee fuck.

Man In Black
11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
The Low-Low Budget Steve Blake.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
People laughed when I suggested he should start as soon as possible, whenever he's up to speed and playing at full bore, but I still maintain the same belief.

I don't know that I disagreed with you at the time, but considering the play of Ginobili and Jefferson, may I just say :lol

The Truth #6
11-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm not that worried about the small forward position at the moment. RJ is extremely durable and playing out of his mind. Anderson is playing very well for the moment. Bringing in a better backup SF (which is highly unlikely to happen without trading Hill or Blair and possibly someone else) makes no sense because we would then be giving less minutes to Anderson, who, obviously is playing well and learning the sytem.

Pop values point guards and so we signed another point guard. Makes sense.

The only real moves left to make would be to cut Temple or Gee and take a chance on someone else, most likely for defense. But other than that I don't see us making a lot of changes unless one of our new guys plays so well that someone else with value becomes redundant...and that would be a good problem to have.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
He's a third-stringer. He's an option, not someone guaranteed minutes -- somewhat of a Kerr at the tail end of his career.
I know I keep reminding people of this, but Kerr was the backup point guard for the Spurs the second half of the season when Speedy Claxton was hurt. That was the last year of Kerr's career. Dude may not be guaranteed minutes but he'd better be prepared to play and contribute if asked.

jjktkk
11-05-2010, 08:37 PM
I know I keep reminding people of this, but Kerr was the backup point guard for the Spurs the second half of the season when Speedy Claxton was hurt. That was the last year of Kerr's career. Dude may not be guaranteed minutes but he'd better be prepared to play and contribute if asked.

Which I believe Quinn can do.

Leonard Curse
11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
i think pop soberd up and realized theres no more defensiv players available, hopefully next summer he wont go to alcoholic paradise for too long so we can pick up some defense

ElNono
11-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I bet all my vBookie money this guy won't be around come March...
It's the end of the bench anyways. I'm surprised this thread reached 9 and counting pages.

JR3
11-05-2010, 10:47 PM
after last game, i don't trust temple anymore.. I feel like he could have the rock stollen from him at any point when pressured. I don't think Quin is that much of an upgrade.. He shoots really well.. .basically doesn't miss.. but why get another gary neal type player? I'm good if we are just renting him while Hill is out. I just would like to limit the number of players that we have that get burned on defense... simmons was one of them.

bigfan
11-05-2010, 11:00 PM

I hope he left his homo attire back in Miami/Philly.

TJastal
11-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I hope he left his homo attire back in Miami/Philly.

I'm sure he brought it with him, along with his enema syringes, leather blindfolds, and whips.

There's really no other explanation for this signing other than being Pop's way of rewarding RJ for his improved play.

Truth4sale$
11-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Popovich is simply going to rotate that final spot up to the deadline to try out role players. Good move in my opinion. Needs to find a young defensive minded small forward with some height that he can groom. No pressure.

Darkwaters
11-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Your first two thoughts are in direct conflict. They aren't even remotely the same.

Not so much. Quinn will contribute about as much as Ahearn. Hence, they're pretty much the same.

Hemotivo
11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
good signing, solid pg

DrSteffo
11-06-2010, 09:18 AM
No one is talking about team chemistry but i think that has to be imortant considering the 13-14 spot? It seems Simmons wants PT and thats fair enough but he would not get it.

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2010, 09:48 AM
this signin is a powershift move

ChuckD
11-06-2010, 09:50 AM
No one is talking about team chemistry but i think that has to be imortant considering the 13-14 spot? It seems Simmons wants PT and thats fair enough but he would not get it.

Also, Simmons was horrible. He is what happens when you DON'T become a workout ninja and adjust your diet and lifestyle when you hit 30.

I think that 13th spot is going to be a turnstile. It will be used for auditions or short term needs. Right now, with Hill on the shelf at least short term, we need a ball handler and shooter.

dunkman
11-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Once Anderson started playing well at backup SF and Splitter completed the bigman rotation, it didn't make sense to keep Simmons. He wasn't the answer for the wing defender either, so it didn't make sense to carry his salary and approach the luxury threshold. If a wing defender become available the Spurs won't lose the lux bonus to sign him.

Quinn is a fourth year player, he should be serviceable. I doubt Riley would give any play time a player that doesn't play defense. Too bad for Jerrells, I always had the impression he was the better backup PG for the Spurs than Temple.

ohmwrecker
11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
So we lose a scrub to gain one? what thee fuck.

Not too much to choose from right now. The only available PG I can think of who isn't a scrub, is a total headcase.

Skip 2 my Lou

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I still don't like it. Why did we have to cut Simmons to get Quinn? I think Simmons is someone who is going to give you physical defense if anything. Agreed that Temple has been playing horribly. Quinn is interesting cause of his shooting but I keep dreaming of shooters coming in and becoming Steve Kerr.

We should have been able to keep Simmons even with Quinn on board and then cut one or both later. But Temple looks like he is going down.

galvatron3000
11-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Have the Heat/Nets waived Alston yet?

duhoh
11-06-2010, 01:40 PM

he played decently for the heat last season right? he's not a bad pick-up, now that there's an actual backup PG, not another combo.

Solid D
11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Have the Heat/Nets waived Alston yet?

He's a FA.

Blackjack
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't know that I disagreed with you at the time, but considering the play of Ginobili and Jefferson, may I just say :lol

I'm not sure how that's funny?

I'm not speaking to how they're playing or their stature on the team, I'm speaking to the long-term success and their best bet to field their best defensive squad.

Look at it this way, when you look at this team and their need for young players to grow and thrive for them to have ultimate success, this team is a little like '03: they need relatively young and inexperienced players to play important and prominent roles to succeed, and they're going to be back to utilizing the Twin Tower frontline.

'03 had Jackson, Bowen and Ginobili each playing around 30min. per during the playoffs. I believe, sans a trade, Anderson needs to take Bowen's minutes and role. He doesn't need to be Bowen, but he needs to be their primary defender at the 2/3 and play those minutes.

When Jefferson came aboard I said the only way they could make it work was if they could get the Bowen role filled by a 2 and Jefferson could be somewhat of a Jackson of '03 -- a good enough shooter and driver to compliment the Twin Tower frontline, the paint-living Parker and someone who could create for himself and others. Judging by what I've seen from Jefferson, that's not looking as far-fetched as I once thought.

With a lineup of Parker, Anderson, Jefferson, Splitter and Duncan (by the end of the year - I'd stick with Blair for now and give Anderson a little more time to get up to speed), you've got two slashers on the floor, one pure shooter and off the ball player and the Twin Tower setup. Jefferson keeps playing at a star level, not even the All-Star level he's been playing at, that seems to me to be a pretty ideal lineup. Proven, even, in terms of skill set and complimentary needs.

I'm perfectly aware of that. That season is the one that's most fond to me, for a multitude of reasons, and the one I may remember best. Great, great year for the team (for both my teams, actually. Go Bucs!) and a big momentum shift in my life at the time.

But, again, I was speaking long-term. I was speaking ultimate success, playoffs.

I stated best-case scenario he would be somewhat of a Kerr and have a similar role. The type of role Kerr had in the playoffs where he didn't even average 5 minutes -- situational marksman (and I remember Game 6 like it was yesterday :elephant).

ChuckD
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
he's an emo headcase.

fify

Obstructed_View
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure how that's funny?

I'm not speaking to how they're playing or their stature on the team, I'm speaking to the long-term success and their best bet to field their best defensive squad.

Look at it this way, when you look at this team and their need for young players to grow and thrive for them to have ultimate success, this team is a little like '03: they need relatively young and inexperienced players to play important and prominent roles to succeed, and they're going to be back to utilizing the Twin Tower frontline.

'03 had Jackson, Bowen and Ginobili each playing around 30min. per during the playoffs. I believe, sans a trade, Anderson needs to take Bowen's minutes and role. He doesn't need to be Bowen, but he needs to be their primary defender at the 2/3 and play those minutes.

When Jefferson came aboard I said the only way they could make it work was if they could get the Bowen role filled by a 2 and Jefferson could be somewhat of a Jackson of '03 -- a good enough shooter and driver to compliment the Twin Tower frontline, the paint-living Parker and someone who could create for himself and others. Judging by what I've seen from Jefferson, that's not looking as far-fetched as I once thought.

With a lineup of Parker, Anderson, Jefferson, Splitter and Duncan (by the end of the year - I'd stick with Blair for now and give Anderson a little more time to get up to speed), you've got two slashers on the floor, one pure shooter and off the ball player and the Twin Tower setup. Jefferson keeps playing at a star level, not even the All-Star level he's been playing at, that seems to me to be a pretty ideal lineup. Proven, even, in terms of skill set and complimentary needs.

I love Ja (I pronounce it phonetically), but with Manu and Richard Jefferson on the team, I want them starting. There are two scenarios where Ja could start, and neither of them are good scenarios. I hope he ends up in the conversation about starting as soon as possible though, because that can only be good for the team.

biziofromdowntown
11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Quinn is a nonsenso for me

Blackjack
11-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I love Ja (I pronounce it phonetically), but with Manu and Richard Jefferson on the team, I want them starting. There are two scenarios where Ja could start, and neither of them are good scenarios. I hope he ends up in the conversation about starting as soon as possible though, because that can only be good for the team.

Gentleman's disagreement (and that term's used loosely when Blackjack is involved).

This team's defense isn't capable of reaching an '03 level, but it's going to have to be considerably better. You can't simply compensate for an average or inconsistent defense with more or better offense. Basketball just doesn't work that way -- just ask Dallas, Phoenix and a host of others.

But whether Anderson starts or not, or if and when he does or not, the Spurs are going to need a primary defender at the 2/3 capable of playing close to 30 minutes a game -- and it's hard to envision a 6-2 George Hill being that guy.

As an aside, it's really amazing how much RJ is reminding me of Jackson on his 3-point shot. They don't share the same form or technique but if you just see where the ball leaves the hand and the trajectory/high-arcing flight of the ball ... the last person to do that in standstill, spot-up situations donning a Spurs uniform was Jack.

Hope the guy can keep it up, and that this year's team can find themselves being compared to the '03 team because of the end result.

Obstructed_View
11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Gentleman's disagreement (and that term's used loosely when Blackjack is involved).

This team's defense isn't capable of reaching an '03 level, but it's going to have to be considerably better. You can't simply compensate for an average or inconsistent defense with more or better offense. Basketball just doesn't work that way -- just ask Dallas, Phoenix and a host of others.

But whether Anderson starts or not, or if and when he does or not, the Spurs are going to need a primary defender at the 2/3 capable of playing close to 30 minutes a game -- and it's hard to envision a 6-2 George Hill being that guy.

As an aside, it's really amazing how much RJ is reminding me of Jackson on his 3-point shot. They don't share the same form or technique but if you just see where the ball leaves the hand and the trajectory/high-arcing flight of the ball ... the last person to do that in standstill, spot-up situations donning a Spurs uniform was Jack.

Hope the guy can keep it up, and that this year's team can find themselves being compared to the '03 team because of the end result.

No doubt, I'm excited about his defense. He's looking like he can be the guy we hoped George could be, or the mythical "Hairston with a jumper" that has been discussed.

BackHome
11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Simmons sucked that is why he was waived.

To me we need three things (1.)we need a true backup PG someone who can create offense for other players even when Manu is not playing. (2.) We need a young Bruce and I don't know if Hill is that guy yeah he has long arms but they are still attached to a 6'2 body. (3.) A shot blocking center.

Ross Parrot
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Simmons sucked that is why he was waived.

To me we need three things (1.)we need a true backup PG someone who can create offense for other players even when Manu is not playing. (2.) We need a young Bruce and I don't know if Hill is that guy yeah he has long arms but they are still attached to a 6'2 body. (3.) A shot blocking center.

Bruce is gone, bro:depressed
There's no-one in the FA who's a shot-blocker C
We're just going to have to settle to wait for Splitter to catch up:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

mingus
11-07-2010, 11:24 PM
this years team depends (barring injury) on the defense of George Hill and Anderson. If one of those guys can make a name for themselves as a great defensive player, this team has all the pieces.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
this years team depends (barring injury) on the defense of George Hill and Anderson. If one of those guys can make a name for themselves as a great defensive player, this team has all the pieces.

I've been saying for some time that the only way to replace Bruce Bowen's defense is by committee. Gary Neal's played really good defense too. If the young guys learn the system and everyone avoids lazy/stupid Michael Finley type defense this team could be tough to score on in stretches.

Blackjack
11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I've been saying for some time that the only way to replace Bruce Bowen's defense is by committee. Gary Neal's played really good defense too. If the young guys learn the system and everyone avoids lazy/stupid Michael Finley type defense this team could be tough to score on in stretches.

One thing I've noticed about their ability and some of the stuff they're doing defensively, they're looking to create pace and offense a little more of their defense.

Blair has a real knack for getting steals and deflections near the top of the key and guys like Hill, Anderson and Temple have shown a bit of a knack to do so as well, and of course Manu's pretty much the king of disrupting passes or passing lanes with steal or deflections. But not only do they have some players with a knack for getting deflections, they're actually looking to shoot the gap more than I can ever remember -- look how often Parker's been trying to shoot that gap when his assignment is looking to receive a pass just outside the 3-point line.

I'm almost wondering if Pop and Co. just know they're not going to be a dominant enough defensive team in the halfcourt and they're looking to tweak their methods in order to prosper elsewhere -- namely, offensively.

Can't say I think that's an ideal way to go, if that is the case, but I guess you've gotta do what you believe your personnel is best capable of doing.

There's no doubt they're looking to create more pace than ever, hopefully they can find a happy medium that allows their defense to be amongst the Top-5 or so (FG%).

Obstructed_View
11-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Well you can't run if you don't get turnovers, but you can't really get turnovers if you don't play disciplined defense. These guys play into each other's strengths.

Blackjack
11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Well you can't run if you don't get turnovers, but you can't really get turnovers if you don't play disciplined defense. These guys play into each other's strengths.

Nash and the Suns disagree. :lol

They haven't abandoned their stay-at-home, play-the-percentages defensive style by any means, but there are definitely some subtle changes to what we've become accustomed to seeing.

Maybe my favorite adjustment that Pop has made with regards to pace is the green light he's given RJ to shoot the pull-up in transition and find early offense. I don't know that there's a better way to both give a player the confidence he needs to be who he is and a way in which to maximize your team's individual talent.

With RJ looking for and finding early offense in transition, the Spurs take less risk losing his talent in a slower, methodical pace and a halfcourt set.

That's maximizing your talent. :tu